Nike VR Pro Combo Irons - Forum Testing Review

Just got done with a two hour 18 at BCC. Still a little sore, but I played alright. Hit great iron shots on every par three, which was great. #3- cut 5 iron to pin high 20 feet right, #5- 7 iron to 10 feet, #13- choke down 6 iron right at it rolled past 10-15 feet, #15- choke down 6 iron on line, but 25-30 feet short of the pin, still on the green though. I'll most likely be playing 18 tomorrow too. I'll have more thoughts to share after that.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would most of you guys choose to get the 3i-4i as splits if it were available as an option? The only thing that I seem to see as a slight negative are the cavity backs.

I dont see the CB's as a negative at all. Nike made them more forgiving which I guess came with the pricetag of a different feel. I would rather have the forgiveness myself

Would most of you guys choose to get the 3i-4i as splits if it were available as an option? The only thing that I seem to see as a slight negative are the cavity backs.

I would, without question, replace the 4.

And I'd probably stick with a 3 hybrid.

I would try them out for sure. Probably wouldn't replace them, as I have become pretty confident and comfortable with the 3 & 4 irons, but as usual, I would give them a try.

I will give more details later, but I recently tested the 3i against a few 3 hybrids at my work. The 3i out performed the hybrids off the deck (probably my swing), but the hybrids were longer and had a slightly tighter dispersion. The results weren't drastic, so I'm not sure if it would be worth the purchase or not. Time will tell.

Nope. I have a serious love affair going with the 4 iron right now. It's an automatic 210 carry from the fairway or 200 from the rough with a very consistent flight. It does feel different then the rest of the set, but I'm ok with that.

The 3 iron for me has been banished. it's great from the tee but shmeh from the fairway or rough and has been replaced with a hybrid that is equally good from the fairway or rough.

Nope. I have a serious love affair going with the 4 iron right now. It's an automatic 210 carry from the fairway or 200 from the rough with a very consistent flight. It does feel different then the rest of the set, but I'm ok with that.

The 3 iron for me has been banished. it's great from the tee but shmeh from the fairway or rough and has been replaced with a hybrid that is equally good from the fairway or rough.

I agree that there is a definite difference in feel and sound. Not a problem however as I am starting to come around to them as well. In tall grass, the three performs better than my old CLK hybrid. I am pleased with this set from top to bottom.

I don't think so, I've had a hard time hitting it poorly with my 3 and 4. I've started shaping them either way with success. And the feel is very nice, maybe not quite what it could be with splits but it's gotta be real close. Sound is the main difference.
off the tee I'm now playing 3 iron where I used to just play driver and hope I would be ok. And into greens the ball flight is higher than it would be with splits and I've like the hop and stop action even with the 3i, and even backed up the 4i (into some wind but still)

I think turf interaction is one of my favorite things about the set. coming from AP1s that are pretty thick in comparison to these I really like the way I can just drive through it with the short irons, displaces a nice chunk of earth, but I feel like it's more "repeatable". I always felt like the old set would bounce the club head, making it really tough to vary the type of shot I was hitting.

I'm gonna start working alot more on trajectory and different approach shots that will give me some options hitting into greens, never been able to do that without pulling wedge before... It always made me jealous watching a playing partner hit a knock-down 9 or 8 up close and me be stuck with a tweener and no ability to knock-down.

I would keep my 4i as it is but I would like to try the 5i in Split Cavity seeing as the Euro makeup of the set is a pocket 4 and 5i

I haven't hit the 3 iron enough yet, but I am really liking the 4 iron. Our course is pretty short so not a lot of opportunity to use the 3.

was able to get out today, posted an ugly 79 with all kinds of short game trouble, but I'm liking the irons so much I'm trying not to get within about 140 so I can hit them rather than my wedges. had some great iron shots that I capped off with missed short putts, frustrating day to not score any better with the way I struck the ball but that's how it goes sometimes I guess.

I can't see anything I'd change about the set except I need more, seriously considering the Nike wedges to match as I have no confidence in mine at this point. I can only blame myself though because I haven't gotten out to work on the short game in a while and it's killing me on the card.

I am upgrading my irons. I have the old Pro Combo Tours. I haven't found another set that looks and feels like them. The only issue i have had is my distance gap from the 9 to pw then to my 52 degree wedge. Do you feel the distance gaps between the new pro combos are consistent?

I am upgrading my irons. I have the old Pro Combo Tours. I haven't found another set that looks and feels like them. The only issue i have had is my distance gap from the 9 to pw then to my 52 degree wedge. Do you feel the distance gaps between the new pro combos are consistent?

Yes, I feel the distance gaps are very consistent, about 10 yards apart for me.

Yes, I feel the distance gaps are very consistent, about 10 yards apart for me.

I am finding the same thing with mine, 10-12 yard gap between clubs.

I would disagree with the feel part Paulo. I think there is a big difference in feel between the 3/4I and the rest of the set. Don't get me wrong as I will take forgiveness over feel any day of the week. But there is a definite difference in feel IMO. BTW your videos have been fantastic. Yours as well Jeff. I need to start making video's.

Think I may be a bit swayed on the feel of the pocket cavities by hitting most of the shots from the tee. Haven't had cause to hit them from the deck enough to compare, but I'll get to that on my next range session, see if I can feel a big difference. I've definitely felt the difference on the mishits. The 3 iron feels strangely harsh on the thins to me.

I'm not sure. I'd say yes right away, but I'm used to playing blades right from the 3 iron, so I'd like to give myself more time with the pocket cavities to see if I get into a groove with them. I get the feeling they could be very useful on a few short par 4s that I play.

I would agree with the others as well; very consistent and predictable gapping throughout the iron set. Personally, I went with the stock lofts (PW being 47) and then 52 and 56 to round out the wedges. Very pleased from a gapping perspective.

I would agree with the others as well; very consistent and predictable gapping throughout the iron set. Personally, I went with the stock lofts (PW being 47) and then 52 and 56 to round out the wedges. Very pleased from a gapping perspective.

I've been pleasantly surprised by these irons in that respect. Numbers-wise, the lofts are the same as my previous irons, but I'm hitting them consistently further. Now, I wouldn't get excited about just further, but the consistently bit, that is pretty good.

Not really so much about the clubs, but more about the testers. Must say from reading a lot of the reviews and comments in this thread, the reviews and feedback are tremendous and this is truly what testing is all about. Keep it up guys.

totally agree with you, CL. without the CBs then they're just....blades? That would eliminate so many golfers from hitting these

I dont see the CB's as a negative at all. Nike made them more forgiving which I guess came with the pricetag of a different feel. I would rather have the forgiveness myself

Is anyone else finding they are hitting the 8i down further than they did with there previous set. I hit a 9i 160 yards tonight, I would usually be looking at a 7i from that distance. Hit an 8i 155 into a strong wind as well. Have to say that I am liking the added distance I seem to have found

Is anyone else finding they are hitting the 8i down further than they did with there previous set. I hit a 9i 160 yards tonight, I would usually be looking at a 7i from that distance. Hit an 8i 155 into a strong wind as well. Have to say that I am liking the added distance I seem to have found

I am not seeing any gains that big. I have picked up about 5 yards from 7-PW if I really need it but I am more focused on tempo and hitting more 75% shots than 95%.

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

Not I Mike. I might hazard a guess that the distance increase is coming from improved ball striking and and having a set entirely fit to you

Yes. I hit these almost exactly 1 club longer than my previous set.

Edit: forgot to mention that my previous set had the same lofts (or within 1 degree) and were fitted.

Yes. I hit these almost exactly 1 club longer than my previous set.

Edit: forgot to mention that my previous set had the same lofts (or within 1 degree) and were fitted.

Great point about the loft change; forgot about that. My previous irons were 3 degrees stronger throughout the set and I am STILL seeing a 5 yard increase so that would equate to a 15 yard increase when considering the loft change. Wow - had not realized that!!

---
- Tappin' from my iPad in support of Team Hackers!

Not at all. But I can't really add to the discussion because my previous set was such a strong lofted set. I am hitting it about as far as I used to hit an 8I though.

Back