bobgeorge

Kentucky Wildcat Fan!
Reaction score
Handicap
In the last September Golf Digest magazine they list the top 100 courses. Anyone played any of these, & of so how do you feel they were worth the high ranking?

I personally have not played of them, but wondering....what is the highest ranked course any THP member has played?

Anyone played the #1 course which is Pine Valley?

In the last September Golf Digest magazine they list the top 100 courses. Anyone played any of these, & of so how do you feel they were worth the high ranking?

I personally have not played of them, but wondering....what is the highest ranked course any THP member has played?

Anyone played the #1 course which is Pine Valley?

Well it is Private but I have heard good things about it. I'll be playing Whistling Straits(#17) this coming month. Going to be a blast.

I played all four courses at Bandon Dunes and they were flat out AMAZING. As was the entire property and practice facility. Definitely an experience. Worth $275 a round? I'm not sure. We played in a three day Pro Am there so we played three of them for $375. And since Bandon Dunes is managed by the same company the golf course I work at is, we got to play Pacific Dunes for free one afternoon.

Here's the listing: http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-05/100-greatest-golf-courses?currentPage=1

I've played #26 twice, the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island. It's a beautiful setting, and the course kicked my butt both times I played it. The interesting part is that the wind wasn't a huge factor both of the times that I played the course, it can get much worse than what I experienced. The greens fees are pretty steep, but one time I played it as part of a scramble tournament so it wasn't as expensive as normal.

have not played a one.. im such a bum lol

I've had the honor to play No.69 Sycamore Hills GC in Ft. Wayne Indiana a couple of times. They have played the jr PGA Championship there the past two years. Nice course, but not really a fun course for me.

I've played #66 Scioto and #84 Valhalla

Really you should take a look at the full world rankings including those outside the US. I have the pleasure of being a member at the top golf course outside the USA, royal county down. Would love to find out what others thought of it!

I watched a senior event at Valhalla once. Probably as close as I'll ever get.

Actually, I'm considering The Pete Dye course at French Lick which might make the list someday (surprised it's not already on there).

might be playing #56 Inverness in October, was supposed to play it last year but my customer cancelled at the last minute

I have played #37 Pinehurst #2 and #100 Harbour Town on that list. I played Pinehurst close to 11 years ago when I worked for a bank that was run by the current President of the USGA Jim Hyler. We got treated to a round there as we were the companies top performers. The course has changed for the next open but I can only imagine it is as magnificent today as it was then. The thing I will always remember besides the 300 dollar price tag with caddy was my caddy clubbed me the entire round after the first hole. Pinehurst is an amazing place for sure for anyone ever looking for a great golf destination. There are 40 golf courses in Moore County that people vacation to every year, it is a town frozen in time when it comes to golf and I highly recommend you put Pinehurst on your bucket list.

I got to play Harbour Town this year, I have been going to Hilton Head for close to 20 years and I have played every public course on the island at least 1 time. Harbour Town is tight fairways, postcard finishing hole with plenty of challenge weaving through the woods of Seapines Resort. I saved it for last of all the public courses to play and if you can justify spending 200 bucks for a round of golf it too is an amazing place to play. All 3 of the courses at Sea Pines are worth playing but the jewel and major challenge is the Harbour Town golf links.

I walked about a third of Pebble Beach once. Stood on the 18th tee.

Being a young Canadian, I haven't played any. Played the #2 course in Canada (Cape Breton Highlands), and it was great though very windy being on the ocean. Also played John Daly's course in Niagara Falls. It was nice, but not very long surprisingly. And apparently they have recently gotten rid of their 2 nicest holes because they are building homes around it (oh the power of the almighty dollar). Was very antzy last week while on vacation because I was less than 20 minutes from Pinehurst but didn't have clubs with me!

I've played Merion East and Galloway National a few times. Merion is great from the 14th hole on, and probably 3 of the finest finishing holes in all of golf. But the rest of the course isn't really all that memorable - particularly 6-13 with #9 being the exception. In fact a lot of guys I play with rate Aronimink ahead of Merion.

Galloway is a fantastic track and I love playing there as the course has great golf holes, great views of the AC skyline, and is always in tip top shape.

Most of the guys I play with have also played Pine Valley and say its every bit deserving of its #1 or #2 ranking - still waiting for my invite.

I've played (23) OAKLAND HILLS C.C. (South about 30 times
(49) ARCADIA BLUFFS G.C. about 10 times
(99) FOREST DUNES G.C about 4 times

While not in the top 100 overall, I'll be playing 3 courses from the top 100 public places to play in a couple weeks while in Myrtle:

#46. Dunes Golf and Beach Club
#88. Grande Dunes Resort Course
#94. Tidewater Golf Club & Plantation

Our 4th round is at TPC Myrtle Beach which isn't on the list, but alot of people I've talked to said it's the best of the 4 we're playing.
If you click on the Best in State link from the Top 100, TPC Myrtle is ranked ahead of all 3 but doesn't have enough evaluations to make the list.

I've played TPC Sawgrass, Spyglass Hill, and Kapalua Plantation.

Of those, I would rate them Spyglass, Kapalua, and TPC.

I have also been fortunate to play a bunch of great courses in Ireland and Scotland, and would rank them all ahead of the above courses.

While not in the top 100 overall, I'll be playing 3 courses from the top 100 public places to play in a couple weeks while in Myrtle:

#46. Dunes Golf and Beach Club
#88. Grande Dunes Resort Course
#94. Tidewater Golf Club & Plantation

Our 4th round is at TPC Myrtle Beach which isn't on the list, but alot of people I've talked to said it's the best of the 4 we're playing.
If you click on the Best in State link from the Top 100, TPC Myrtle is ranked ahead of all 3 but doesn't have enough evaluations to make the list.

I have played the TPC at Myrtle 4 times. The first time I played it was when it was a brand new course. I have never played the other 3 courses at Myrtle you have listed but the TPC is a great course that has plenty of bunkers and challenges for all skill levels. I always here about both the Dunes courses being great so I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. Myrtle Beach is a one of a kind place for golfers.

Scheduled to play courses at the Greenbrier Resort in a couple weeks including The Old White. Should be a fun trip.

I have been lucky enough in my previous life to tee it up at these links for one reason or another. By far my favorite is PB and all the course in that rotation and a not so distant second is Bandon Dunes and it's golf Facility.
CYPRESS POINT CLUB, PEBBLE BEACH G. LINKS, SEMINOLE G.C., PACIFIC DUNES, WHISTLING STRAITS (Straits), THE OCEAN COURSE, THE OLYMPIC CLUB (Lake), BANDON DUNES, SHADOW CREEK, PINEHURST RESORT (No. 2), TPC SAWGRASS (Players Stadium), SPYGLASS HILL G. CSE., MILWAUKEE C.C.,EAST LAKE G.C, CONGRESSIONAL C.C. (Blue), MONTEREY PENINSULA C.C., HARBOUR TOWN G. LINKS

None...what a shame :(

None yet but since TPC Sawgrass is so close that probably will be my first.

I've played one that should of been on there. TPC Scottsdale. Beautiful. I think I shot 84, but this was when I was practicing everyday for about 2 hours. I'm planning on playing TPC Sawgrass in a tourney soon.

Really you should take a look at the full world rankings including those outside the US. I have the pleasure of being a member at the top golf course outside the USA, royal county down. Would love to find out what others thought of it!

Being of Irish descent, I would love to play Royal County Down! I have a couple of ball markers from there that a friend gave me, and I use them everyday. My Irish connection must be why I love links golf and links courses so much.

Back