I've been fortunate enough to play 8 of them so far and in some cases more than once. Hands down Kapalua was the most beautiful. When playing Winged foot West you can't help but think about all the rich USGA/PGA histroy that has taken place there not to mention its a fantastic layout. My favorite of the bunch is Bethpage Black. MY friends and I used to stay overnight back in the late 80s and early 90s to grab the early morning tee times.

8 Winged Foot West
11 Fisher's Island
32 Baltrusol
36 Bethpage Black
83 Hudson National
88 Kapalua Plantation Course
93 Maidstone Club
97 Winge Foot East

I haven't played any of these course and I would love too but many are private. I try to stick to the 100 best public list. I'm considering a road trip to Bethpage later this year.

I have played Pebble Beach, Plantation at Kapalua and The Prince at Princeville. All great experiences but I'd have to say Pebble was far and away the best.

I have also played several top rated international courses including St, Andrews Old Course, Muirfield, Royal Porthcawl and Royal Portrush.

All were great and worth playing once but I'd still say Pebble Beach would be my favorite to play day after day but I'd be willing to give them all another test.

I got lucky a few years back and played Pine Valley. You will never play a course with bigger fairways or greens and still struggle the entire way.

I've played 41. TPC Sawgrass. Standing at the back tees on some of those holes and seeing how narrow the fairways look from back there is quite intimidating and gives more respect for the tour guys at the PLAYERS each year, especially when they throw down a really low round out there, like DLIII did in the 4th round a few years back in the rain and wind. That may be one of the most under-rated professional rounds of golf in history.

Just posted an angry thread about this magazine. I don't care what the top courses are if I can't play there. Pebble is number 1 in my mind because you can play there.

I haven't played any of these course and I would love too but many are private. I try to stick to the 100 best public list. I'm considering a road trip to Bethpage later this year.

Do yourself a favor and also play the Red course while you are there. Its an exellent course in its own right.

Is there a public list? Because if there is that to me is WAYYY more valuable than the top overall 100.

I have played at #9 Sand Hills. It is a true golfing experience. You drive on a two lane highway in the sticks until you come to a very small sign directing you to the course. They have cabins for the golfers and only allow so many on the course each day. We played a total of 99 holes in two full days (doesn't get dark until 9-9:30). We had local high school kids for caddies on one round each day. The course is AMAZING! The sand traps, all native, are huge and very everywhere. No water or trees on the course.

No love for Iowa courses. Makes me a bit sad. So no, I haven't played any of the top 100. Although I think a course I play regularly is ranked fairly well in the 'public links' list.

I've played a good number of them via my computer. Seriously, FYI, I live on Long Island, NY and play a Bethpage course every week. Yes, The Black is awesome. But the heat and crap of the summer have put it in a not too great condition. You really should consider The Red right now - very nice. Suggested course order [right now]: Red, Blue, Yellow, Black, Green.

It's too bad the heavy rains came to The Black in 2002 and 2009 or it would have beaten up the pros big time. The Black might be one of the hardest courses in the world to score well. The Barclay's [FEDEX] comes to The Black in 2012 and 2016.

From Golf magazine 2010 top 100 public courses list, I have played numbers; 1,5,14,18,21,29,34,36,40,41,53,74,81,82, and 92.
And I will play two more this week.

But I have played some other public courses which could easily replace some of these. Just opinions after all.

No love for Iowa courses. Makes me a bit sad. So no, I haven't played any of the top 100. Although I think a course I play regularly is ranked fairly well in the 'public links' list.

The Harvester is on the public list. I enjoyed it a lot.

Haven't played any of those on the list but did manage to play St Andrews, Old Course, last month which was simply amazing

I've played some of the top 100 public. I prefer to stick to the ones that are worth the money. While I would like to play Pebble one day, the rest are too expensive unless I have a lot of money to throw around. About $150 is my max. If someone else is paying, that's another story :) That said, courses that fit your personal game are much more fun to play, so if you know your style, and find a course on the list that you know will fit your game, it may be worth the $300!

I've never played any although I plan on playing Bethpage Black at some point because it's public. Oh and I also may get the chance to play #2 Pine Valley because someone my dad knows has hinted that he knows a member. If I do get the chance to play at that amazing golf course, I will take as many pictures as possible and post a lengthy review as it is clearly one of the best in the world.

Played a bunch, really dont want to know how much it cost, but with the economy the way it is, not so sure how many more will get checked off. And this is such a moving target, as I've played many that were on an old list that are no longer there.
It is interesting that my top 100 is no where in the same order as thier's.
1,Pebble
3 whistling
6 shadow creek
8 pinehurst # 2
10 Arcadia
11 spyglass
16 blackwolf
20 forest dunes
21 harbour town'
27 mauna kea
28 wolf creek
29 old waverly
35 whistling, irish
36 tullymore
37 challenge at manele
39 the harvester
40 wilderness at fortune bay
43 torrey
47 cog hill
48 pine needles
53 classic at maddens
57 spanish bay
60 blackwolf, meadows
62 pga west
63 pinehurst #4
65 edgewood at tahoe
68 pinehurst #8
71 pelican hill
74 wailea gold
78 tobacco road
80 pelican hill, ocean
97 trump natl, LA
opps, missed
16, the quarry at giants ridge
17 kapalua

Here's what I've played from the Golf Digest list...with a group like that, it is hard to pick a favorite, although Oakland Hills was special for many reasons, so that is kind of my emotional favorite.

24. (23) OAKLAND HILLS C.C. (South)
37. (32) PINEHURST RESORT (No. 2)
40. (35) THE GOLF CLUB
41. (45) TPC SAWGRASS (Players Stadium)
55. (77) LAUREL VALLEY G.C.
56. (40) INVERNESS CLUB
66. (61) SCIOTO C.C.
84. (95) VALHALLA G.C.
88. (New) KAPALUA (Plantation)
96. (100) CROOKED STICK G.C.

Played many others that have been on one list or another, and some on this list in the past, but bumped off for one reason or another. Also played many courses that should have made a list or two, but never did. Guess there is probably a thread out there for that somewhere...that would be an interesting read. Anyway, I'm looking forward to playing many more on many different lists!

I've never played any although I plan on playing Bethpage Black at some point because it's public. Oh and I also may get the chance to play #2 Pine Valley because someone my dad knows has hinted that he knows a member. If I do get the chance to play at that amazing golf course, I will take as many pictures as possible and post a lengthy review as it is clearly one of the best in the world.

For everyone's information considering playing Bethpage Black this year, the course has been "beaten" up by the summer heat and such. It is NOT in good condition. So don't plan on any trips to The Black this year. Next year [2012] should be fine because they are hosting The Barclay's [FEDEX playoff]. If you are making a trip definitely consider The Red. It was a qualifying course for The Champion's tour a few years back for the seniors when they used to play a tournament on LI. The Red is in fine condition.

A couple of years ago I played Trump National in Bedminster, NJ. Last week while I was in Detroit, I got a call from my brother in law on Thursday, telling me he had a tee time the next day at Baltusrol and could I make it! He didn't know I was out of state. :-(

Back