TaylorMade xFT Wedges - The Morgan Cup Staff

This thread has been great for info on these wedges! Just picked up a 58* degree with the Z groove in it...

Really excited after hitting CG's the last time we played!

This thread has been great for info on these wedges! Just picked up a 58* degree with the Z groove in it...

Lol what happened to not buying equipment until the Demo day? Long gone eh?

Tap tap taparoo

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it once you've spent some time with it Canadan.

That was legit until I sold some golf stuff.. Now I have a PayPal balance burning a hole in my computer hahaha!!!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it once you've spent some time with it Canadan.

Oh you know I will. I played the RAC TP wedges for probably 5 years prior to putting the VR Pros in the bag so I am excited to get a TM back into the bag!

Thanks for everyone's input

When I receive my wedges, is it best to hit a bucket of range balls to "break them in"?

Thanks for everyone's input

When I receive my wedges, is it best to hit a bucket of range balls to "break them in"?

Not needed, but it would be a good for you to get used to them before the shots count.

--
tapatalk

Tap tap taparoo

That's so far away lol, maybe not buy golf equipment in Jan or feb!

Sweet! Pick up a couple z groove faceplates while ya can.
What distance are yu seeing with the 58? 90-95?

Where can you buy Z groove inserts? Any reputable online stores with these in stock?

Sweet! Pick up a couple z groove faceplates while ya can.
What distance are yu seeing with the 58? 90-95?

have not received it yet. Should be arriving tomorrow. I would suspect that will be around what I'll see in terms of yardage, but I am more focused on getting that much loft into a bunker or greenside.

Where can you buy Z groove inserts? Any reputable online stores with these in stock?

Contact Blind9Golf at the top of the page and they can help you out most likely.

i personally like the ZTP face plate better, i know its weird since its the conforming one but i just get better results with it

i personally like the ZTP face plate better, i know its weird since its the conforming one but i just get better results with it

Makes perfect sense man.. Not everyone wants or needs super spinny wedges.

I was a little worried about conforming grooves but ive adjusted. Have to plan a little more rollout.

I never really pulled balls back a ton- on the 50 I see about 6-8 feet rollout. I have pulled it back a few feet before on a real high approach but not the normal wedge for me

I wanted to toss up another quick post here about my love for these wedges and how they are helping me with my biggest area of concern, shots around the green. I just got home from my lesson with my coach and today we worked on short game and bunker shots. It had been roughly two and a half months ago at my first lesson when we last spent the entire lesson focusing on just the short game and the first time we worked on bunker play. Back then I was using other company's wedges and unclear as to which one I should use for different shots and my short game showed just that, absolute chaos. Fast forward to this evening and everything has made a change of 180* ( well maybe 155* still miss a few here or there hehe). I use the 58* wedge for the majority of shots around the green and also for all bunker shots around the green. My coach told me there was a tremendous difference in my approach and results with the chip shots and was very pleased with my bunker shots. I love the fact that with the removable faceplates I can have these same wedges cemented in my bag for many years. This brings me to a question:

What is the difference between the red backed plate and the black backed plate? Is it just more spin with the black one? Should I even bother with looking into getting some or just stick with the red ones?

Great stuff WR. The black face plate would give you some more spin in theory around the greens but I'm not sure how much you would notice. If you are buying replacement face plates I would go with the black old style onces as you might as well.

For all the talk in here about Esox loving these wedges, he sure as hell proved he was solid with these. These were in my bag prior to the morgan cup. I'm interested to see how they stack up against the Jaws CC on my home courses.

I made a conscious effort to improve my overall short game and wedge play, after witnessing what some of the guys at my club do with a wedge... I realized how poor mine was.

There really is no reason to miss a green from 100 yards in.. Even better there is no reason to be outside of 30 feet from a pin.

I play with guys at my course where I'm 50-75 yards further than them off the tee, and they still beat me...

So As soon as I received my XFTs I put them through their paces for at least two sessions a week.

What I learned with these wedges is they are at the very top of the list when it comes to choosing a wedge.

It is hard to find something wrong with them, the feel is superb... The grooves are sharp... You get consistent ball flight.

I saw an increase in distance from the cg15 to these. My 50 had been flying 100 eith the CG, and I'm seeing 110-120 on the xft. Granted some Is rollout, the conforming grooves had my balls rolling up some.

Still the greatest compliment came when i was practicing with TC and KEV- I was having a great day with my wedges and to hear TC say I was a good wedge player really shocked me. He has Been known to be a fantastic wedge player so to hear that from him was a big confidence booster.

Since i never really considers it- the practice I put in reallyhelped- and I fully believe it is bc these wedges are that good.

Hitting 3/4 and even1/2 wedge shots with the xfts feels perfect. The shaft gives you good feedback in the swing- I can feel where it is throughout thebackswing.

Add to the fact that the faces Can be switched out at will, is a great selling point.

My next round Sunday will be my first with the Z grooves - so I'm curious how they'll perform. If I'll see some balls pull back a little bit? Something I rarely saw with the ZTP grooves.

The only complaint i have is with the chrome face... In the bring Florida sun I had several lies where looking down attheballand face almost blinded me from the glare. The face of the wedges is so polished that any glare of the sun is blinding. A few times I had to adjust my body and close or open the face when I didn't want to just to prevent the sun from reflecting at the right angle. It's hard to line up when you can't look down!

That's one reason I usually go satin or blacknickel... And those black wedges from Japan in the xft were sick looking!

Still can't rave enough about these wedges- it was pretty cool to get so many compliments in my wedge play at theMorganCup. They saved me from trouble so many times- I was scrambling my butt off against amol; 28% and35% sand saves.. That's way above what I'm normally doing.

Even his dad said to me on17; you have an amazing short game, great match.

Your family was awesome dude.

cg - you are another one. You have a very solid wedge game. Keep it up and your scores will just continue to get better.

Few more rounds in Sunday and Monday- sent some range time Sunday post round to work on things but I did want to put the AW up agunst the 50 xft.

I have never gamed the AW in any iron set, so this was kinda interesting in it's revelations. I started with full wedge shots, then I hit some stock pitch shots, 3/4 pitches, 1/2 pitches- some knockdown shots and ended with some feel wedge shots to 40-60-80-100 flags.

On the full wedge shots I was flying the green at 120, maybe carry of 110 with the AW. Nce high ball flight and I could barely feel the ball leave the face. I really like how the AW feels when it's struck well, good turf interaction IMO. But the distance was a little off. I had some land front of the green, some would hit mid and stick, others would bounce off. So little inconsistency in dispersion but a great repeatable ball flight/trajectory.

When i hit the 50, I immediately noticed a higher ball flight. I was first attributing this to the new Z face plate providing higher spin, and when I stuck a few pin high,they would suckback a bit. So I think there must be a higher backspin imparted with the xft in the same loft as the AW.

Feel was great as always with the XFT, I was hitting theXFT 115-120 with no rollout, on some I could see it suck back which is definitely a good feature when going for GIR. I didn't see any of the AW comeback, but they were range balls, so maybe a better test would be with the pentas on the course. Dispersion was tighter eith the XFT, when I put a good swing together theXFT just fly right on line and feel amazing!

On the 1/2 and 3/4 pitches I feel like the XFT just gave me better feedback. I have always gamed a true wedge in theta spot, so I wasnotcomfortable at all with an AW. I think if i dedicated a few sessions to it I could develop a decent repertoire but I'm just so comfortable with my XFT right now it was hard to get a feel going with the AW.

At the practice green I spent some time chipping ith them both. Right now i love the XFT 50 for a bump n run. I get great contact and release with it, and it's easy to pick a spot about halfway to the hole and watch the ball run up to the pin. I constantly hit the ball closer with the XFT than the AW.

I think the R11 is one of the best irons out there, and it may be Taylormades best product in years. But the XFT gap wedge is a phenomenal wedge and the feel on touch shots and around the green is superb. While I have tailored my game to the XFT wedges I think they held me back when swinging the AW, nothing against it, it's just where my wedge game is right now, I have spent countless hours familiarizing myself with them and breaking from norm was weird.

Since the Morgan Cup I've continued to game these xft wedges with great success. In fact, I like them so much that I've ordered 3 new faceplates (one for each wedge) so that I can game them for quite some time. I've been trying to put my thoughts together about what exactly it is I like about these wedges and I've gotten it down to three things: Spin, Shaft, and weighting. The weighting of the club is perfect, I find that a lot of wedges are too head heavy and this is not the case with the xft's, this could be the weight of the clubhead, or the balance when paired with the KBS Hi Rev shaft but regardless I just love how it feels in my hands, and during the swing. The shaft is simply a performer in this wedge. I was worried about going to new grooves in my wedges, as I'm not a terribly high spin player to begin with and don't ever suck a ball back that often. I generally play a hit, hop and stop, and I'm seeing this exact thing with the xfts, on both full and half swings. Taylormade took a lot of time and research combining the grooves of these wedges with this shaft and the result is a wedge that I find imparts nearly as much spin as I was getting with other wedges with the old grooves. Chipping and pitching is again easy with the xfts. I use the 59* wedge for most of my play around the greens and I'm not going to stop any time soon. Its just so consistant I know exactly how the ball is going to perform every time, and this has helped me get my putting stats lower as I'm putting more chips closer to the hole, as well as lower scores. I can't say enough about these wedges, and look forward to many many more rounds with them in the Staff bag.

I do like these wedges a lot. My only complaint is they feel a bit harder to me on half shots then my old vokeys. I play the red plates and I think they have plenty of spin. Chips around the green my 60 bites and on full shots it hits and stops, anything uphill comes back a foot or so. I really love the look and the weight, but I guess the feel complaint could be the simple fact it's not one solid piece. Feels great on full shots to me though. Very solid wedge and very accurate

Do to work, travel and other things I have not gotten on the course in about a month (all changing this weekend) but I have had a couple of opportunities to get out and practice with these wedges. With each session my chips and pitches are getting better and better and I expect my scores to begin to drop soon. Thank you to TM for making these wonderful wedges and for CB, Biggs, SW, and C13 who really got me focused on these wedges by discussing the successes they were having.

Great stuff WR. The black face plate would give you some more spin in theory around the greens but I'm not sure how much you would notice. If you are buying replacement face plates I would go with the black old style onces as you might as well.

Thanks CB, ok I will get one or two sets for the future, just in case. :smile-big:

Just remember the black plates are non-conforming, so if you play in any tournaments that are sticklers for that sort of thing once the grace period expires you would be using a non-conforming club.

I just went straight to the conforming ZTP red plates and have not really noticed any real loss in spin on full shots, only a little loss of spin on chips and pitches, but I also play a slightly less spinny ball than in the past, which also impacts that short-game spin.

Back