TaylorMade xFT Wedges - The Morgan Cup Staff

Took a 50* out from a local taylormade fitter for a demo, I was trying to decide between an xft or 2.0 wedge. Liked the versatility of the xft more, now I can't find one local anywhere! Found one today, however it had a kbs tour shaft instead of the hi-rev. Never seen that shaft in this wedge.

--
tapatalk

I am a little confused SW, what versatility in the XFT was present that was not in the 2.0?

It's a lot easier to lay open a blade than a 2.0 Burner, among other things.

Thanks biggsy, I am pondering new irons myself and trying to decide if I want to go up to GW in the iron set or get a 50* wedge

Thanks biggsy, I am pondering new irons myself and trying to decide if I want to go up to GW in the iron set or get a 50* wedge

Thats a tough call WR, I love having a matching AW with the set, but I also really love having 3 matching blade wedges. I would guess that you would be more comfortable with a matching AW as it will offer a lot more forgiveness and if you're only using it for full shots then thats all that matters.

Thats a tough call WR, I love having a matching AW with the set, but I also really love having 3 matching blade wedges. I would guess that you would be more comfortable with a matching AW as it will offer a lot more forgiveness and if you're only using it for full shots then thats all that matters.

That is my initial thinking right now. I am in early phases of looking, I really want to get a demo club from each of the two sets I am looking at and hit a few shots in a place other than the local golf store.

The GW is a lot easier to hit consistently from the fairway. It's not as versatile around the greens, which is the main reason I stopped using one. If you struggle with consistency from the fairway, I think you should give the GW serious consideration and rely on higher lofted wedges around the greens.

I am a little confused SW, what versatility in the XFT was present that was not in the 2.0?

Like coolio and biggsy mentioned, the different shot making capabilities stand out to me. I strike my wedges well from the fairway and I can bump and run the xft better.

--
tapatalk

Like coolio and biggsy mentioned, the different shot making capabilities stand out to me. I strike my wedges well from the fairway and I can bump and run the xft better.

--
tapatalk

Completely agree- can chip, pitch, run it much better with a xft. (or any blade) all around much better feel around greens.

Love chipping off the green with a 50, perfect height and rollout; gets the ball on the green and rolls perfectly. Give me that confidence I can make em.

Now I will be the first to tell you all that my short game is no where near the level of either the others who have been posting on this thread or the average golfer on this forum ( it sucks to be brutaly honest). I became very interested in these wedges after hearing all the great results from the people here. Last week, I returned a couple of clubs ( wedges actually) I had been using a little while and was lucky enough to find a 54 and 58 sitting in the used bin and used my store credit to pick them up. I spent this week practicing with them and i gotta say they are much easier for me to hit than any other wedge I have used. I was excited going into my lesson yesterday cause it was to be a "playing lesson" where we were going to go out on the course and play a few holes while my coach watched me and gave pointers and suggestions. These clubs performed fantastic I actually landed 3 of the 4 shots I took with them on the green (this is a step up for me as I usually chunk the wedge shot or something even worse) and one I put about 6ft from the hole from about 35yds out. I dont want to get to excited yet cause I really have a very long way to go but I wanted to take a moment to thank CB, Biggsy, CG13 and SW for their help and guidance concerning these clubs and answering all my questions. I feel I made a good choice here and with the removable face plate I should have these wedges in my bag for quite a long time.

Now I will be the first to tell you all that my short game is no where near the level of either the others who have been posting on this thread or the average golfer on this forum ( it sucks to be brutaly honest). I became very interested in these wedges after hearing all the great results from the people here. Last week, I returned a couple of clubs ( wedges actually) I had been using a little while and was lucky enough to find a 54 and 58 sitting in the used bin and used my store credit to pick them up. I spent this week practicing with them and i gotta say they are much easier for me to hit than any other wedge I have used. I was excited going into my lesson yesterday cause it was to be a "playing lesson" where we were going to go out on the course and play a few holes while my coach watched me and gave pointers and suggestions. These clubs performed fantastic I actually landed 3 of the 4 shots I took with them on the green (this is a step up for me as I usually chunk the wedge shot or something even worse) and one I put about 6ft from the hole from about 35yds out. I dont want to get to excited yet cause I really have a very long way to go but I wanted to take a moment to thank CB, Biggsy, CG13 and SW for their help and guidance concerning these clubs and answering all my questions. I feel I made a good choice here and with the removable face plate I should have these wedges in my bag for quite a long time.
That's remarkable Rhino. I am sure it thrills OEMs to no end to know that talking about the XFT wedges helped you consider them at least.

Since they were in the used bin, someone else's loss is your gain, brother. Hope they continue to treat you well. They have been very kind to me.

Really appreciate your feedback and don't hesitate to ask any more questions.

I really like my Vokey, but you guys piqued my interest. Took a demo xFT to the lob/pitch range at my home course and I really like the feel. Of course, the Hi-Rev feels more like the KBS Tours in my irons so I am probably more used to it. Not saying I'm ready to make the change...but I'm pondering it.

Good stuff rhino! I completely agree with you about how easy these wedges are, raises confidence so much. Also being paired up with the hi-rev shaft, which I'm totally impressed with makes a great club.

--
tapatalk

Good stuff rhino! I completely agree with you about how easy these wedges are, raises confidence so much. Also being paired up with the hi-rev shaft, which I'm totally impressed with makes a great club.
I'll put the hi-rev up against the others out there. It's a solid and consistent performer and I have a lot of confidence in that shaft.

I went out for a quick nine holes last night, I am really likeing these wedges!! I am doing things I have never been able to do before, namely chip and pitch effectively!! My highlight of the night was a pitch shot from about 40 yards that stopped close enough to the hole for a tap in. I am not used to such things but I guess I had better start.

there is something about a well struck wedge shot - no greater feeling of ease walking to a green knowing its good!

glad you like em, i really cant say enough about em.

i was on fire with my 50* xFT today, it was the only club in the bag that was working for me this morning, just a horrible horrible round but the xFT was just awesome, i stuck 5 wedge shots inside a foot from 50+ yards with it, only bad thing was they were my 3rd or 4th shots lol, i just wanna forget today even happened

These wedges continue to impress me. I've now gotten used to the loss of spin I'm getting with the new grooves, but its not as much as I thought it would be going in. I try and put every drive if I can within 115 yards so that I can use a xFT wedge, and on par 5's I always lay up to 100 yards so I can hit a full 56* into the green. The KBS Hi-Rev shafts are the real deal and I love the way they feel on full and partial shots.

All this talk of HiRev's makes me jealous. I'm just not a fan of these wedges one bit. I've tried them multiple times and they just leave me wanting more. I hope TM comes back with a "pro" series wedge. Something forged is much better for me when it comes to wedges. I like being able to bend them.

All this talk of HiRev's makes me jealous. I'm just not a fan of these wedges one bit. I've tried them multiple times and they just leave me wanting more. I hope TM comes back with a "pro" series wedge. Something forged is much better for me when it comes to wedges. I like being able to bend them.

See I'm the opposite, I really like these wedges. Though I installed the Spinner shafts in mine. I love the weighting, I love the feel, and I love the performance I get from them. My wedge game has improved a bunch since the last time we played together. I'm wondering how I will feel with the Callaway wedges when they arrive soon. Like putters, I think wedges are a very personal choice.

Then I guess it is a good thing you are sponsored by Callaway and not TM for the MC.

Reactions: TC
These wedges continue to impress me. I've now gotten used to the loss of spin I'm getting with the new grooves, but its not as much as I thought it would be going in. I try and put every drive if I can within 115 yards so that I can use a xFT wedge, and on par 5's I always lay up to 100 yards so I can hit a full 56* into the green. The KBS Hi-Rev shafts are the real deal and I love the way they feel on full and partial shots.

I had 100 a few times, and I hit a 3/4 50 pretty darn close, the next time I hit a full 56 just short.

I'm liking the distance on these.

Full 50 I'm seeing 115 which is pretty long for me.
Full 56 is right around 100.
Full 60 is 85.

I'm loving the 3/4 swings though, 100-75-50. Great distances to layup too and the shaft just loves a partial swing.

Always nice when things work out like they are supposed to huh?

That's not what you meant, but sure. I just can't believe all these people love XFT's. I must be an exception or something. Although, I wouldn't really expect any negativity about them in this thread anyway. I think they're gimmicky and hokey and aren't really all that great of a wedge, especially for lefties. The fact you can't really alter them is a huge turn off for me.

Back