TaylorMade R11 Irons Reviews

I'm loving this thread, you guys are doing a great job with sooo much info. Great review Biggsy.

biggsy, I am not so sure that the offset of the club has too much to do with the amount of spin you're generating as perhaps your actual swing does. Having played with you a few times now it's pretty easy to see the difference in your swing now from what it use to be. Perhaps your swing change and your new angle of attack has something to do with it.

adwillingham- Thanks for the info. I had not heard that about the grooves. I went to the Taylormade site and the marketing on the grooves reads as such, "Advanced groove design promotes increased spin and control."

I didn't like the CBs when I played a round and had a practice session. The R11s just played entirely different for me.

TC- I haven't hooked myself up to a launch monitor in some time, so it would make sense I am generating more spin now and it seems to be a product of the swing change. I'm going to mess with it a bit more at the range and see the results I get. I'm not as steep as I was on the irons and I feel like I just get a better ball strike with more spin. I'm thinking the offset might have more to do with the height of the ball, but it could also be spin generated is what you are saying, no?

Received an email today, Golf Galaxy now has R11's in stores.

Im heading out to my local golf store and dicks shortly to see if either of them have these in today, I want to hit them soooo bad!

Just back from Golf Town's grand opening in Northboro, MA. Saw the R11s and they are PUUURRRTY!!!!!!! Hit them a few times though I was ill-prepared in flip flops and the shaft was KBS 90 Stiff (I'm borderline stiff/regular) plus the guy completely covered the face and sole in masking tape, so who knows. Hit the 7 iron and was getting 150 carry and pretty straight. I figure spikes and no tape gotta be worth a few more yards at least. My current 7 iron is 145 carry so these appear to be 10+ yards longer but I'll be doing a lot more demoing before moving forward. These are still in the running though!

Great write up guys. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I ended up placing an order today and was told that they will ship on Sept. 15th. I am really looking forward to getting them and spending the fall playing them. I ended up with the KBS 90 Stiff which performed the best for me during my fitting. I am disappointed that they don't make an L wedge for the set. I thought that was strange. Usually iron clubs that don't offer the L wedge, don't make the SW and GW either. They make the SW and AW for this set, why not finish it with the L wedge.

Just saw these at my local golf shop, you are all right, they are sooooo much nicer looking in person! I was really surprised that they didn't look like shovels, I didn't get the chance to hit them yet but they looked really good!

More I see them the more they grow on me. I really do like the overall look alot I think. Thank goodness I love the 2.0's so much though.

Jeez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone that has tried the R11's played the R7 Draws before? Any major similarities or differences?

Great reviews so far.Thanks for sharing.I like that ? Z F I played r7 draws in the past. look forward to response

My irons are supposed to be in tomorrow, I can't sleep I'm so excited. I really hate that I work all weekend.

I previously had a set of R9's that I picked up second hand. Got my new set of R11's three days ago and after staring at them for as day, finally got some time on the range. Loving them! Much nicer look and size compared to the R9's and a much better feel on miss hits. Distance is half a club better and the spin is phenomenally improved. Loving everything about the iron, and the fact that it draws attention is not a bad thing... had plenty of compliments on the range.

Will test them out on the course this coming sunday.

I previously had a set of R9's that I picked up second hand. Got my new set of R11's three days ago and after staring at them for as day, finally got some time on the range. Loving them! Much nicer look and size compared to the R9's and a much better feel on miss hits. Distance is half a club better and the spin is phenomenally improved. Loving everything about the iron, and the fact that it draws attention is not a bad thing... had plenty of compliments on the range.

Awesome, but I think you forgot something........PICTURES!! Just kidding, i can't wait to hear more review on these. With them just being released yesterday here in the States I am sure more reviews will be pouring in soon.

Now I just have to keep reminding myself that I am..was...am...was...am..was...I mean I AM happy with my Nikes. LOL

Just back from Golf Town's grand opening in Northboro, MA. Saw the R11s and they are PUUURRRTY!!!!!!! Hit them a few times though I was ill-prepared in flip flops and the shaft was KBS 90 Stiff (I'm borderline stiff/regular) plus the guy completely covered the face and sole in masking tape, so who knows. Hit the 7 iron and was getting 150 carry and pretty straight. I figure spikes and no tape gotta be worth a few more yards at least. My current 7 iron is 145 carry so these appear to be 10+ yards longer but I'll be doing a lot more demoing before moving forward. These are still in the running though!
I routinely hit simulator shots in flip flops. It keeps you grounded. :D

Great write up guys. Thanks to all of you for your thoughts. I ended up placing an order today and was told that they will ship on Sept. 15th. I am really looking forward to getting them and spending the fall playing them. I ended up with the KBS 90 Stiff which performed the best for me during my fitting. I am disappointed that they don't make an L wedge for the set. I thought that was strange. Usually iron clubs that don't offer the L wedge, don't make the SW and GW either. They make the SW and AW for this set, why not finish it with the L wedge.
I personally don't mind, but I see your point. Hope they treat you well sjf!

Just saw these at my local golf shop, you are all right, they are sooooo much nicer looking in person! I was really surprised that they didn't look like shovels, I didn't get the chance to hit them yet but they looked really good!
They really didn't strike me as GI iron when I first saw them. They are more compact and sleek, but still packed with a ton of forgiveness.

Love it! Looking forward to your thoughts on these.

Awesome, but I think you forgot something........PICTURES!! Just kidding, i can't wait to hear more review on these. With them just being released yesterday here in the States I am sure more reviews will be pouring in soon.

Now I just have to keep reminding myself that I am..was...am...was...am..was...I mean I AM happy with my Nikes. LOL
But you'd be so much happier with something newer... LOL

I had a chance to hit the R11 a few days ago at PGA SS. It had the DG XP R300 though. Which isnt the right flex but I really enjoyed the feel/sound of these irons. The head does look really compact and I thought they were pretty forgiving. Wanted to try with the right shaft to get a real good feel from them.

Not only have I seen these, Ive hit them. And I want them.

I think the head looks compact but offers some nice forgiveness. If I was in the market for irons I would seriously ponder these. They suit my eye and seemed like they performed well.

Keeping it real!

What did you like so much, Kevin?

Love the look for one. They really do look better in hand. I think the head offers a great combo of forgiveness, looks, feel and distance. I also love the KBS Tour 90 stock shaft offering. This shaft is perfect for my swing.

Love the look for one. They really do look better in hand. I think the head offers a great combo of forgiveness, looks, feel and distance. I also love the KBS Tour 90 stock shaft offering. This shaft is perfect for my swing.

I wonder how that shaft would work for me... You like the lighter shafts? Something about TM clubs usually just doesnt jive me me on the course, I don't know if I could pull the trigger on these. As great as I saw everyone hitting them.

Do you think you're going to retire the rxt's for these? Have you compared them side by side yet either outside or on a sim/LM?

John Deere Tappin...

I wonder how that shaft would work for me... You like the lighter shafts? Something about TM clubs usually just doesnt jive me me on the course, I don't know if I could pull the trigger on these. As great as I saw everyone hitting them.

I think it could work but you might have to go with stiff. I do like a lighter shaft. hehe

Do you think you're going to retire the rxt's for these? Have you compared them side by side yet either outside or on a sim/LM?

John Deere Tappin...

I dunno about retire but maybe push out? I hit both 6 irons last week at Golf Galaxy inside. They were very similar as far as distance with a slight nod to the R11's. I thought feel wise the R11's felt amazing. And I seemed to get a tad more height on my shots with the R11's which isnt a bad thing. I couldnt get hard numbers though since its always busy and they never have the SIM set up for that.

I hate that shaft and feel that's what kept me from liking the CB's more. the stock KBS Tour 90's in these though? Oh I bet they're nice....going to GG this weekend to do some hitting of their new arrivals since the weather is iffy so I'll hit these as well.

I had a chance to hit the R11 a few days ago at PGA SS. It had the DG XP R300 though. Which isnt the right flex but I really enjoyed the feel/sound of these irons. The head does look really compact and I thought they were pretty forgiving. Wanted to try with the right shaft to get a real good feel from them.

Back