Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

I didn't know we were gonna have to take a test. haha I haven't been studying for it, can I get an extension. j/k I'll answer the questions.
Great idea BTW
:rofl: Gotta keep you on your toes 3B.

More to come, but internet is agonizingly slow today, not trying to make a teaser.
Incredible videos, as always. Picked up a flip for review purposes, cant wait to get the videos going.

Great job testers....quick question....the group testing the HD have reported feeling like they have to have 2 swings...one for all other clubs and a slower, more deliberate swing for the HD.

Are the FW testers seeing the same type of results?
I wouldnt say that I have two different swings, as I swing the Heavy Wood the same as I do my 3H. One thing that stands out to me about the Heavy Wood is that you can play a slower more methodical swing, and really let the club do the work and have great results, but a the same time, I feel that I can really put a hard swing in to the ball, without sacrificing swing form or results. It's a nice option to have, as usually when I try to swing harder, the results are all over the place (literally).

I've been racking my brains for questions and boom! Good job WE. I'm starting to ponder selling some stuff in order to grab this club:drool:
Would be a good one to grab, IMO. Has me seriously pondering the Boccieri Hybrids and their other fairway woods. Also, I have never carried a 5W, but am thinking about switching out my 3H for the Boccieri 5 Wood.

Great questions here war.eagle! I'm happy to oblige...

1. Do you feel that with the Boccieri Heavy Wood that your shots are more consistent? When I don't think about it, absolutely. When I'm thinking too much, nothing helps. The weight should and does put my hands in a better position then without it and I feel very confident that as long as I swing with good tempo the ball will always carry about 225 yards with a baby fade and nice rollout with a very smooth arch to the mid high trajectory.
2. Has the Boccieri Heavy Wood improved your game? If so, how? Honestly YES. Case in point, spent most of my last 2 range sessions focusing on the Heavy 3wood alone. Also, the warmup before my last 18 was spent with about 25 shots on the 3w (which is most if not all of my warmup in most cases!). The first hole I was terrible, but I started experimenting with the H3W and took more shots with it. After most shots with this club, the next club whatever it was, I felt a better rhythm, tempo and control overall to that swing than previously. This is going to sound even more like a commercial, but the front 9 I shot a 49 and used the H3W for probably 5-6 strokes (2 alone on the first hole). I used it more off the tee and from the fairway on the back 9 and used it for 6 strokes. I used it off the tee much more on the back 9 and the 2 long par 5s up hill. I shot a 41 on the back, with 7 pars, a triple and a double! I actually had 6 pars in a row and it was because I hit all 3 par 4 fairways with the H3W off the tee, and I was within a pitch shot range of the par 5's (GIR on both) thanks to long low running 2nds approaching both of those greens. Again it helps smooth my tempo and puts my hands in a good position for all the clubs now as the weight almost seems to be un-noticeable at this point.
3. Are you using the Heavy Wood for shots that you normally wouldnt have with your current fairway wood in the past? Without a doubt yes. I enjoyed hitting my old 3W off the deck, not so much from the rough or from the tee. This H3W is now a go to for par 4 tee shots and I'm definitely confident in this club from the rough on long 2nds/approaches. Also a go to when I want a small cut or a low running shot like in the wind. I used to hit long irons with an abbreviated follow through for this shot or knockdown style.
4. Increase or decrease in distance than what you have seen with your current wood? This is about a wash with the last three of the 3 woods I've used (909f, Cleveland HL, and Callaway Diablo). This club launches considereably lower first and foremost. With all 3 of the other clubs listed above my typical miss was a hook. The H3W is very reliable, with a baby fade if not straight. But distance was not gained, perhaps I lost about 5 yards, jury is still out.
5. Do you feel that with the Heavy Wood that you can focus more on your shot/aim, rather than have to think about your swing? I'm still an overthinker and overanalyzer, but when I don't get in my own way, YES absolutely I can think more about the shot and less about my swing with this club for sure.

Thanks for posing these questions War.Eagle. Some interesting self evaluation for me... Of course the jury is still out but considering the current state of my game I noticed some nice small changes and I believe to the benefit of the H3W.

Hole 15 tee shot

Hole 15 result

Hole 16 where I got the idea of hitting both driver and 3w off the tee for comparison.

[video=youtube;UbWe7SyQ-kI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbWe7SyQ-kI[/video]

Hole 17 comparison

Hole 18 tee shot with driver and 3w. I ran out of card space so I didn't record the results of these shots, but they were both in the adjoining fairway to the right. I played both balls and got a par with each, so it didn't come out too bad.

Thanks for posting all the vids TripleB. I'll check them out this evening.

Today is the first day we've had here without rain since last Thursday. Hoping to get to the range this afternoon for some more BGH 3w action!!

BBB - great job on the videos man! Your commentary was entertaining; keep up the great work.

Terrible skim here but has anyone gone from a light shaft 3W such as the Cleveland Launcher to this?

Gotta say, after watching SS stroke this club last Friday I was really wishing for a left handed version of it to try out

I'd have to say for me the backweighting is a non-issue. The club just feels "different" when you swing it and that is only for the first few warmup swings. Not heavier, not unbalanced.....just different in a positive way.
To me it feels as though it makes me put a better swing on the ball. I wish I could video my swing with my old 3w and the BH 3w and compare them. I would be willing to bet there is a difference.
The BH 3w doesn't slice or hook as much as my old 3w, more of a draw or fade instead. I attribute this to the more fluid, relaxed swing I can use with the BH. There's no need to try to "kill it" because if you do, there's not much advantage to it.
Hope that makes sense...

This is the post I wanted!! Thank you buddy!:clapp:

Terrible skim here but has anyone gone from a light shaft 3W such as the Cleveland Launcher to this?

TripleB plays the FL series fairway woods as well.

TripleB plays the FL series fairway woods as well.

Well I have a ton more reading to do. I keep hearing everyone say smooth swing in here. That is what I have. I think this club could be perfect for me.:cowboy:

Well I have a ton more reading to do. I keep hearing everyone say smooth swing in here. That is what I have. I think this club could be perfect for me.:cowboy:

BBB games the Cleveland FL, and has posted a lot of comparison to it throughout the thread. There is no doubt that this club is set up for a nice smooth swing on the ball. We hear it all the time in Golf, "just let the club do the work." That has never been truer with any club I have ever hit. Give it a nice smooth swing, and let the Heavy Wood do what it does, and you will be pleased with the results.

Also, it only takes one time of hitting the sweet spot dead on, you will be hooked on the sound it makes.

BBB games the Cleveland FL, and has posted a lot of comparison to it throughout the thread. There is no doubt that this club is set up for a nice smooth swing on the ball. We hear it all the time in Golf, "just let the club do the work." That has never been truer with any club I have ever hit. Give it a nice smooth swing, and let the Heavy Wood do what it does, and you will be pleased with the results.

Also, it only takes one time of hitting the sweet spot dead on, you will be hooked on the sound it makes.

+1, it does have a nice "sweet sound" when hitting it on the cookies

I've been hooked on it since the first video posted. Sounds meaty like a texas rib!:eat:

I couple quick things, I gotta do some afternoon errands. When i get back I'll respond to some of the questions asked previously.

I heard back from Boccieri Golf regarding changing the grip. They said because of the weighting in the shaft changing the grip will not affect the swing weight and feel. This is great for those of us with bigger hands. I find I hold on to regular size grips really tightly and make bad swings - although admittedly, the more I have gotten used to the BGHW, the less this seems to be a problem for me.

I also wanted to take a moment to give a great positive shout out to my fellow testers, you guys totally inspire me with your creativity and efforts. I just ordered a gorilla pod and a grip thingy so I can take videos with my camera phone to help up my testing game!

I have the exact same club as you do, if you have any questions, or want to see some sort of comparison, let me know.

Great job testers....quick question....the group testing the HD have reported feeling like they have to have 2 swings...one for all other clubs and a slower, more deliberate swing for the HD.

Are the FW testers seeing the same type of results?

No, I use the same swing I do with all my other clubs, I just concetrate on my target and shoot, the Heavy Wood has smoothed out my tempo allot and its carried over to all my clubs. I really feel this can help somebody that struggles with the swing, it just seems like the club wants to do all the work and get in the correct positon for you. 1 swing for me though.

BBB great job man, loved the videos. Im hoping to get back out tomorrow since today at work was so busy im beat so didnt get out today, its 60* and blowing 30-40mph, not a pleasant day. I will have more videos next time im out and Im also going to take some pics showing the wear.

the Heavy Wood really makes you put a smooth swing on it, I think you would love it Chunky, I would love to hear your thoughts on it

I couple quick things, I gotta do some afternoon errands. When i get back I'll respond to some of the questions asked previously.

I heard back from Boccieri Golf regarding changing the grip. They said because of the weighting in the shaft changing the grip will not affect the swing weight and feel. This is great for those of us with bigger hands. I find I hold on to regular size grips really tightly and make bad swings - although admittedly, the more I have gotten used to the BGHW, the less this seems to be a problem for me.

I also wanted to take a moment to give a great positive shout out to my fellow testers, you guys totally inspire me with your creativity and efforts. I just ordered a gorilla pod and a grip thingy so I can take videos with my camera phone to help up my testing game!

Well done yourself buddy, I think everybody in here is doing a fantastic job, Im loving all the videos and looks like you are going to be bringing some videos to the party. Im still debating on getting a flip camera off the bay for cheap, I think my videos are fine but the flips look better for sure. Thats good to know about being able to change the grips, I was thinking you couldnt so thanks for clearing that up

I've enjoyed watching the videos but truthfully, none of the Heavy equipment is available in LH. Makes it hard for me to be super interested in a product I can't hit.

I love the sound of the fairway wood. It sounds so solidly hit at impact. A nice, high pitched ting! I don't think there's a better feeling than a well mashed fairway wood off the tee.

I've enjoyed watching the videos but truthfully, none of the Heavy equipment is available in LH. Makes it hard for me to be super interested in a product I can't hit.

I love the sound of the fairway wood. It sounds so solidly hit at impact. A nice, high pitched ting! I don't think there's a better feeling than a well mashed fairway wood off the tee.

ya thats a bummer for sure, I thought somebody said they would come out in LH soon but I could be wrong, wouldnt be the first time

the Heavy Wood really makes you put a smooth swing on it, I think you would love it Chunky, I would love to hear your thoughts on it

I am really thinking that of all the video's I've watched, your swing is closest to mine in tempo. I might need to get er done here:moneymouth:

Back