Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

That's a great idea and we may yet get to pull off a little test if I can make it to the Iowa outing in a few weeks. Smallie will be there with his and if he would be so kind to let me hit a shot or two we would have the answer.
There are going to be quite a few testing clubs there that weekend. The HB3's are going to make the trip too.

I get to put the a12 os to work tomarrow for my first scramble with them. The post commanders tourney. I have a good team and I think that we will have a very good chance on placing. I will throw in the highlights afterwards.

Just back from playing 18 with Ole Gray. It was a beautiful day with temps in the mid 80s and 5 mph wind. The course was a little wet after we finally received some good rain over the last 24 hours. We didn't get nearly as much roll out as usual and the balls stopped dead in their tracks on the greens. That's very unusual for our course. Played from about 5400 yards (70.7/117). I shot an 86 (14.8 when score entered on GHIN).

Today was a challenging day for me on the course as I could not get off the tee to save my life. I was in the trees more than the fairway and have videos to prove it. Luckily for me, the Adams clubs saved me on many shots.

Hole 1 Par 5: Hit my approach shot with a 7 iron from a slope with ball below my feet. Missed right because I didn't stay down with it.

Hole 2: Bad tee shot with 4 hybrid (went right). This is unusual for this club as I usually hit it well off the tee. I'm pretty sure I had the ball too far back in my stance and caught the ball with an open face. Ended up with a triple on this hole after blading an iron across the green into the trees.

Hole 3: Missed right with 4 hybrid again. This is when it dawned on me that I needed to move the ball up a little bit in my stance. I'm used to playing the Mashie back more because of the closed face. I'm catching this club with an open face because I'm not giving it time to get to the bottom of the arc. (sounds good anyway)

Hole 4: Hit my approach shot using a 6 hybrid onto green. Here's a video of the shot.

Spoiler

Hole 5: This is a par 3 and I always try to play the ball to the back hill and let it come back to the flag. I hit it right where I wanted and it came back and I almost had my first hole-in-one. It's funny to listen to Ole Gray's excitement on this video.

Spoiler

Hole 6: Hit my 8 iron on my approach shot and came up a club short (pretty much what I did a lot today) but it was right on target.

Spoiler

Hole 7: I pulled my drive into the trees and hit a great approach shot over the trees using my 6 hybrid and made a par. Ole Gray caught this shot on video too.

Spoiler

Hole 8: I stayed in the trees a lot today. What can I say? Got over these using an 8 iron and saved par on this par 5 hole.

Spoiler

Hole 9: Approach shot from fairway was using an 8 iron. Left it just short of the green but saved par. I can see the ball flight pretty good in this pic if I slow the video down. It was pretty high.

Spoiler

Hole 10: Hit a beauty with my 5 hybrid just before the creek that makes you lay up on this hole. Hit my 8 iron on the approach shot and missed a little long and right.

Hole 11: Missed right with my 4 hybrid again. Made bogey.

Hole 12: Used GW on approach and landed softly on green with no roll. Easy par.

Hole 13: Used too much club when I forgot that a downhill lie delofts your club and went over green. Ended up hitting a bad pitch back over green (lots of slopes and small green). Ended up with another triple.

Hole 14: Used 5H on my approach shot and missed just right of green. Easy par.

Hole 15: Used a 6H on my approach shot which landed just short of green for an easy par. Here's video of that shot:

Spoiler

Hole 16: Used a 6H on this par 3 that is about 150 and followed Ole Gray into the woods on the right. I don't know what I did but it was ugly. No video taken on that one. Ended up with a triple.

Hole 17: Used a PW on my approach shot on this par 5 and landed just on edge of green for an easy 2 putt par.

Hole 18: Used a 4 hybrid to get out of trouble. Yep, in the woods again from a pull off the tee. Used a 9 iron on my approach shot on this par 5 and was on back side of green for an easy 2 putt par.

I've been hitting these hybrids off the tee straighter than any club I've ever hit. Today was not like that. Since I'm having that problem with my driver and fairway woods too, I know it's a problem with my swing. I wonder if I'm swaying again? Who knows. I'll figure it out.

My new standard sized grips came in but I haven't had them put on yet. I am actually hitting my hybrids and irons well off the fairway. I'm focusing on a better alignment and realizing how different these clubs are compared to the ones I was playing that had closed faces. My miss continues to be to the right but I have a lot of shots that are straight at the pin. I'm getting these clubs figured out slowly but surely and I am really enjoying them.

Awesome videos KB. OGs reaction to that par 3 was priceless.. Get in come on back hehe

great videos KB! looks like youre playing well with those clubs! your camera man sounds like a real confidence booster!

Getting your standard grips on these should help a lot KB. You're hitting some nice shots anyway!Q

Great followup and videos, KB. 1) How in the name of all that is holy did you hit that ball OVER those trees? :D

2) LOL at OG... Dooo eeet!

Getting your standard grips on these should help a lot KB. You're hitting some nice shots anyway!Q

I don't know Smalls. I told her today she was absolutely pipe lining her hybrids straight and on target now. She use to pull them left with the mashies that came stock with the regular grips.

edit: lol at spank! Yea we say do eet in Georgia :eek:)

Great followup and videos, KB. 1) How in the name of all that is holy did you hit that ball OVER those trees? :D

2) LOL at OG... Dooo eeet!

Which time? Hehe. Let's just say I've had a lot of practice hitting over trees on our course. I've also had a lot of time watching OG use his over-the-tree shots. Hehe

Isn't OG hilarious? He's always like that after everyone's shots. He loves to see a good shot. He gets as excited, if not more excited, than the person hitting the good shot.

Which time? Hehe. Let's just say I've had a lot of practice hitting over trees on our course. I've also had a lot of time watching OG use his over-the-tree shots. Hehe

Isn't OG hilarious? He's always like that after everyone's shots. He loves to see a good shot. He gets as excited, if not more excited, than the person hitting the good shot.

I hit the ball high but don't you know the law of averages that when you mean to hit it high over the obstacle it, more often than not, hits the obstacle dead center? :D

OG just gets excited like that because he just gets excited period. I think the guy gets excited every time he opens a Cracker Jack box.

KellyBo those were some really, really nice shots! Great job and I absolutely loved the videos!

Great write up and videos KB...laughing at OG thinking he is a CBS camera man and trying to follow the ball!

I got out and played again today...pretty decent ball striking day, but I had a few chunks and thin shots today. Managed to scratch out an 83 today. The big thing I am seeing is that my misses just arent as bad with these clubs...everything stays in play. Heck I thinned a 5 hybrid on a 177 yard par 3 today and hit a low screamer that still carried all the way to the green and ended up on the front edge!

I'll post a full update and a couple of videos later this evening.

Great write up and videos KB...laughing at OG thinking he is a CBS camera man and trying to follow the ball!

Thanks TBT! I made the mistake of telling him to try to show some ball flight in the videos. All you can see is clouds.

KellyBo those were some really, really nice shots! Great job and I absolutely loved the videos!

Thanks Yoccos. I told OG he should film every shot because most of the ones he filmed were good. Glad he missed the bad ones.

great videos KB! looks like youre playing well with those clubs! your camera man sounds like a real confidence booster!

Awesome videos KB. OGs reaction to that par 3 was priceless.. Get in come on back hehe

Thanks guys. He's a nut!

I hope so! I think it's more my alignment though. I can see that in some of my videos.

I forgot to post this video from today's round. This is one of my tee shots using the 4H on a par 3 that plays 162. I hit it dead on the curve of the toe. If you look, you can see the impression. I was surprised that the ball flew as far as it did. When we got to the green, it was about 30 yards to the right and about 30 yards short. I ended up with a bogey.

Sounds like this set is point and shoot. Great testing thread, should be a good read for months to come!

Great videos KB!

Got out for 18 on a beautiful early fall afternoon...which in Southeast Texas means that it was 94* instead of 104* :D

I had another pretty good day ball striking wise...although I had a couple of more mishits than Wednesday, but the good hits ended up much closer to the flag today and I made a few more putts, last round was an 82 and today's was an 83. Here are the highlights from the round.

Hole #1 Par 5 - Driver to 205, hit 4H downwind and ended up just left of the green between 2 bunkers.

Hole #2 Par 4 - Driver to 155, Hit a beautiful high 7 iron that hit the green and stopped dead about 15 feet from the cup.

Hole #3 Par 3 - 166 yards, hit 6H and chunked it, ball ended up about 20 yards short right in front, GW to 8 feet

Hole#4 Par 5 - Driver and 3W to 103, pin tucked behind right hand bunker, aimed at the center and hit GW with a slight fade, ball hit the green and spun right towards the hole stopping about 3 feet away...as OG would say "golfshot!"

Hole #5 Par 4 - Driver to 203, hit the worst 4H I have hit with this set...worm burner that only went about 70 yards. 130 left hit a perfect 9 iron that I thought was going in for a minute, it hit right in front of the cup and had to bounce over the hole...ball was maybe 5 inches behind the cup....saved the par!

Hole #6 Par 3 - 147 yards, hit a nice high 8 iron with a touch of fade that hit and spun back about 2 feet, about 30 feet from the cup

Hole #7 Par 4 - Driver to 125, PW nice and high, hit and spun....12 feet from the cup

Hole #8 Par 3 - 189 yards downwind...tried to muscle up on the 5H and pulled it dead left pin high in the rough about 15 yards from the green.

Hole #9 Par 5 - Driver and 3W to 110, choked down on the PW and hit a nice easy high shot that hit the right edge of the green and then spun back down the slope off the green and into the bunker.

Hole #10 Par 5 - Driver and 3W on the green...just missed the eagle putt!!

Hole #11 Par 4 - Driver to 203, hit 4H and pulled it left..wind held it from fading back ball ended up just short of the greenside bunker on left.
Spoiler
[YOUTUBEHD]83621NucD-Q[/YOUTUBEHD]

Hole #12 Par 3 - 148 yards bunker on right, water on the left, Hit 8 iron and pulled it slightly left ball landed about 10 feet past pin high on the left edge of the green.
Spoiler
[YOUTUBEHD]djXJp1AztIM[/YOUTUBEHD]

Hole #13 Par 5 - Hit driver to 245, Hit 9 iron to 105, GW to 8 feet and drained the birdie!
Spoiler
[YOUTUBEHD]22FDq6rPw84[/YOUTUBEHD]

Hole #14 Par 4 - Driver to 90, GW to 15 feet

Hole #15 Par 3 - 177 yards, hit 5 hybrid caught it thin and it came off very low but still carried all the way to the front about 30 feet from the cup. If you look real close you can see the ball take off in the video...see how low that trajectory was!
Spoiler
[YOUTUBEHD]Y7LoDTKthvI[/YOUTUBEHD]

Hole #16 Par 4 - Driver to 176, hit 5H to left bunker

Hole #17 Par 4 - Driver to 147, Hit a perfet 8 iron nice and high ball landed just past the flag and stopped dead about 6 feet above the hole

Hole #18 Par 4 - Driver to 194, 4H pulled left into the water on left of green...not really how I wanted to end the round.

Overall, I still feel lost of confidence when I am over the ball with these clubs, no real negative thoughts. They are very easy to hit and even the mishits aren't too bad. This is the 3 round with these clubs and everytime I swing them they feel better. The transitional 7 and 8 iron I was hitting great shots with them today, I dont think I really missed a shot with those clubs. When I really get all the distances dialed in it's going to be a thing of beauty!

I'm catching up on chores tomorrow, but I have a 7:20 tee time for Sunday morning so I will have more for you then.

Nice update, TBT. Nice multitasking!

Am I the only one who the 7-8-9 irons aren't coming around as quickly for?

I haven't played since Wednesday but should be out tomorrow afternoon.

Smallie, I was having trouble with them at first. I think I was trying to "force" them if that makes sense..I started thinking that these are designed for people that have a hard time hitting scoring irons, so I went out and I just concentrated on taking a nice smooth easy swing and BAM the ball just jumped off the face!! I think that when you try to get to aggressive with these is when you run into problems...at least that's what has worked for me.

And if you really think about the multitasking...I was testing 3 things at once!!! GW, Greensaver and B330-RX from the Blind Ball testing...how's that for being a testing rockstar!! :D

Good point. I'll try to have that thought tomorrow.

I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with this thread too much, but I have to say Wow! Just Wow! All the testers here are really doing a fantastic job. I'm still trying to catch up, but really liking the videos, the pics, the write-ups!
Warning information overload, system shutdown in 3...2...1.

j/k Great stuff all, keep doing what makes THP great!

Its funny you mention this, the 9i is killing em right now with distance control. Straight isnt the hard part :) I think over time and comfort level could fix it. Did you have issues with your other set? I couldnt hit my old GW consistantly for some reason. The Adams is no issue though

Smallie, I was having trouble with them at first. I think I was trying to "force" them if that makes sense..I started thinking that these are designed for people that have a hard time hitting scoring irons, so I went out and I just concentrated on taking a nice smooth easy swing and BAM the ball just jumped off the face!! I think that when you try to get to aggressive with these is when you run into problems...at least that's what has worked for me.

And if you really think about the multitasking...I was testing 3 things at once!!! GW, Greensaver and B330-RX from the Blind Ball testing...how's that for being a testing rockstar!! :D

Youre doing a great job! For some reason I cant see the spoilers.

Great job here Kelly and TBT, loved the video's and all the information.

Smallie, I'm actually having a much easier time right now with the 7, 8 and 9, it's the hybrids that have suddenly started giving me a bit of inconsistency. No idea why, these were money when I started out, may spend a little time on the range with them after work this week.

Yesterday's round was some what surprising as I made my way back to the home course to play with my good buddy Mike. After some pretty solid rounds on some rather tough courses elsewhere, I expected to play lights out at home, but the plan just didn't quite work out.

Over all these Adams clubs held up very well on these less than plush grass fairways and rock hard greens. I had planned to play a different course to test the spin better, but too long a drive and not enough time.

I can't say I played bad by any stretch with a +4 40 front and back to shoot 80 on the round. I had several really good holes and just as many really bad holes to keep things well rounded. While I never got to hit the gw a single time on this round, I did rely on the 9i several times and it really came through for me by flying true and sticking tight this time.

Hole #12 is a short par 3 that I generally play a pw, so not thinking I jump up there with that in hand to find the tee's way back and a blue flag (back flag), making the carry some 135 yards. Rather than changing clubs I hit a great pw on the green, but way short, lol. Grazing the 9i I smoked a second shot that sit down just over a foot right of the flag. That one cost me a stroke.

While I did struggle with direction on the hybrids today they did fly long and high. Distance wise the 6h did a much better job of staying closer to the 6i distance I needed. Two double boggy holes on the front really cost me a great score on the front with a so, so round on the back.

GolfShot09-23-11.png

Tap,Tap,Tap

Duey nice round.
Can you talk a little about the technology of the clubs and what you are finding through the round?
The hybrids are so unique can you discuss if you are seeing a difference in them since you have played the same brand hybrids previously for so long?
I see you said that you relied on the 9 iron and it paid off by "flying true", can you elaborate on this?

Back