Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Anyone have gapping/consistency issues with these clubs? I got mine last summer on a clearance after seeing lots of positive reviews here. It was my first year with a membership and playing a lot and they treated me well bringing my handicap from 30 down to 20. This year as my swing has improved I feel like they are giving me fits some days, especially the hybrids. The irons in the set have pretty consistent distances for me. G-100, P-115, 9-130, 8-140, 7-155. Once I get to the hybrids all 3 of them seem to be a random distance between 160 and 200 yards. Yesterday I sailed over a 180 yard pin green by about 15 yards for at least 200 yards with the 6 hybrid. Then I hit the 4 hybrid 25 yards short of a 185 yard pin. Both of these shots seemed like similar, good contact.
This has me thinking of getting a new set of clubs that I can hit consistent distances with, but I only really want a new 4,5,6. I do like the other hybrids that I have. I play a Cobra baffler XL 3 hybrid that is 205-215 by my GPS whenever I hit it. I play 3-4 times per week and my handicap is now down to about a 16. Have I outgrown these clubs?

Anyone have gapping/consistency issues with these clubs? I got mine last summer on a clearance after seeing lots of positive reviews here. It was my first year with a membership and playing a lot and they treated me well bringing my handicap from 30 down to 20. This year as my swing has improved I feel like they are giving me fits some days, especially the hybrids. The irons in the set have pretty consistent distances for me. G-100, P-115, 9-130, 8-140, 7-155. Once I get to the hybrids all 3 of them seem to be a random distance between 160 and 200 yards. Yesterday I sailed over a 180 yard pin green by about 15 yards for at least 200 yards with the 6 hybrid. Then I hit the 4 hybrid 25 yards short of a 185 yard pin. Both of these shots seemed like similar, good contact.
This has me thinking of getting a new set of clubs that I can hit consistent distances with, but I only really want a new 4,5,6. I do like the other hybrids that I have. I play a Cobra baffler XL 3 hybrid that is 205-215 by my GPS whenever I hit it. I play 3-4 times per week and my handicap is now down to about a 16. Have I outgrown these clubs?

I feel the same way about the 4, 5, and 6. I definetly wish the 6 wasn't a hybrid. I tent to push the 4
and 5 cause I swing them more like a fairway wood than an iron

Well I just got fitted for a set of speedblades. My A12OS are about to go on ebay. I now have about 15 yards between clubs all the way from A-4 for nice gapping all the way from 100-210. Its really helped my confidence from 150 and up. No new personal best yet but Ive tied it 3 of the 5 rounds I have played since I picked them up and the other 2 were only 1 or 2 strokes above it.

I just put these back in my bag. But only the 7-GW, since Jacqui stole the 4-6 hybrids. I am still using the 3 from the HB3 set, but added in the RazrX 4 and 5 hybrids and 6 iron.

Well I just got fitted for a set of speedblades. My A12OS are about to go on ebay. I now have about 15 yards between clubs all the way from A-4 for nice gapping all the way from 100-210. Its really helped my confidence from 150 and up. No new personal best yet but Ive tied it 3 of the 5 rounds I have played since I picked them up and the other 2 were only 1 or 2 strokes above it.

Sorry I missed your bump and question. I've personally seen this with the Adams sets, particularly when the irons and transitional irons are in steel and then the hybrids are in graphite. I've even seen it in all graphite, though it is better.

The Cleveland hybrid iron sets (e.g. Altitude, HB3, etc.) gap more consistently.

I game this set --- and have also found the 4,5,6 to not be consistent .... HA. I am pretty sure it is my ball striking though -- vs the irons?

With the Hybrids -- the way I look at them... and maybe similar to some other mid 20 handicaps..... if I am 170-210 out -- I will just use whatever gets me close to the hole.... I am not good enough that my 5 will go 180... and my 4... 190. if i hit it on the screws... sure... it might gap perfect.... but more often than not... they both go... 175?

I had taken all my clubs to the range -- and was writing down my distances.. something that has really helped me on the course....

well on the last par 5 of a course I play often... i was about 165 out -- dead center of the fairway - with a great lie - I pulled my 6 hybrid -- as my cheat sheet told me too - I hit the thing PERFECT -- and i mean PERFECT ----- and over flew the green by at least 25 yards.

I do enjoy playing these clubs though -- but will probably try something different next year as well.

I game this set --- and have also found the 4,5,6 to not be consistent .... HA. I am pretty sure it is my ball striking though -- vs the irons?

With the Hybrids -- the way I look at them... and maybe similar to some other mid 20 handicaps..... if I am 170-210 out -- I will just use whatever gets me close to the hole.... I am not good enough that my 5 will go 180... and my 4... 190. if i hit it on the screws... sure... it might gap perfect.... but more often than not... they both go... 175?

I had taken all my clubs to the range -- and was writing down my distances.. something that has really helped me on the course....

well on the last par 5 of a course I play often... i was about 165 out -- dead center of the fairway - with a great lie - I pulled my 6 hybrid -- as my cheat sheet told me too - I hit the thing PERFECT -- and i mean PERFECT ----- and over flew the green by at least 25 yards.

I do enjoy playing these clubs though -- but will probably try something different next year as well.

i not crazy about the hybrids either, I was looking into the Adams Xtd irons..

Hi, The feed back on this thread has helped me a lot, and I thought I'd add my observations to.

Just got a second hand set of these, I've always struggled with my long/mid irons so thought I'd give them a go. I love the 7 - SW irons I really get good contact and they just fly to the target, and so high, it feels like I'm cheating! My approach average has greatly improved. I've quite like the 6 hybrid, but as for the 5,4 and 3 I just cant get them to go as far as I would like/expect. I have an old Cleveland DSL launcher 3 hybrid that I hit maybe 15 meters further than the Adams, and maybe the same with my old classic Cleveland 5H.

I've only played two rounds so far in less than ideal conditions, so maybe I should give them more of a chance. I'm having the lie angles checked/altered tomorrow (the first time I've ever done this!) so it should be interesting to see what happens!!

Back