Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Duey nice round.
Can you talk a little about the technology of the clubs and what you are finding through the round?
The hybrids are so unique can you discuss if you are seeing a difference in them since you have played the same brand hybrids previously for so long?
I see you said that you relied on the 9 iron and it paid off by "flying true", can you elaborate on this?

Sure JB, although up until now I've had the TM Rescue hybrids in the bag about 3 years. The difference between these two are night and day in almost every way. The velocity slot technology paired with the ProLaunch blue shafts just jets the ball off the face with such little effort its amazing. I found myself trying to push on it yesterday which caused me to pull several shots, but a smooth steady swing nets great results with these hybrids.

Also, the head shape is rather unique in shape with almost a high toe look that you don't see at address. This shape has allowed my standard toe miss to end up as a short but solid miss rather than the 20 yards right variety.

By "Flying True" I mean straight and holding the line and its a phrase that sort of popped out the first day I started playing these. I can't really elaborate on why I'm seeing such a ball flight, but even in the wind I get very little drift which is something I've never experienced before. Penetrating I guess, but I now have to make myself line up right at the pin because this is going where I aim, irons and hybrids, as long as I simply stay connected.

Hope that makes sense.

Tap,Tap,Tap

Thanks Due for the dose of Adams this am :) Do you feel you can step on these hybrids? I saw you mentioned pulls but if you take that out of the equation how are the shafts holding up when you put a real good swing on it?

I have some videos from my 6 holes I got in before mother nature turned out the lights on me. I really focused on spin with the approach shots and even had a few lies, I hadnt really experienced too much yet. I was also holding some other graphite shafted irons and honestly, the feel in weight difference surprised me (more on that too). For now I have a run I'm supposed to help with so Ill be off and on.

Something that I've struggled to put across throughout my review's, but touched on briefly in one of my early posts is who these clubs are suited to. Many golfers have the notion that their game is pretty solid and they can't gain anything by playing anything less than blade iron's, or like my take that I was an average or above golfer so I should play something a bit more to the middle range for the best possible fit, boy was I wrong. I believe anyone can gain from having these Adam's a12's in the bag, over sized or not.

While I love the Nickent 4DX Pro's I have played over the last several years as well as the hybrids I've gamed, it only took a short time with this set to realize how effortless these are to swing and keep on line without the loss of distance or ability to move the ball which was important to me. It's really been sort of shocking to be honest. I'm actually seeing more distance from the longer irons and the hybrids, straighter shots, the ability to get out of trouble easily by turning the ball right or left with a nice high flight and I'm able to do it without being worn out by the end of the round from working so hard at keeping my shots in the fairway.

I'm more than confident that I will see my lowest score ever very soon playing these.

Thanks Due for the dose of Adams this am :) Do you feel you can step on these hybrids? I saw you mentioned pulls but if you take that out of the equation how are the shafts holding up when you put a real good swing on it?

I have some videos from my 6 holes I got in before mother nature turned out the lights on me. I really focused on spin with the approach shots and even had a few lies, I hadnt really experienced too much yet. I was also holding some other graphite shafted irons and honestly, the feel in weight difference surprised me (more on that too). For now I have a run I'm supposed to help with so Ill be off and on.

Good question Yoc and yes I can still step on these a bit if I can remember to slow way down on my back swing and just stay down better on these. I experimented a bit with that after the poor front nine yesterday and was able to get on these when I needed that extra few yards without jurking these left. I do struggle a bit with the hybrids when my swing turns into more of a sweep than a steeper ball first iron type shot, that may be the only time I have trouble hitting them.

I was glancing through my GolfWeek today and I saw the Adams ad with your little quotes on Page 10. Well done.

I was glancing through my GolfWeek today and I saw the Adams ad with your little quotes on Page 10. Well done.

that's just cool

Wow, very cool. Who all did they quote?

Tap,Tap,Tap

Wow, very cool. Who all did they quote?

Tap,Tap,Tap

Same ones on the front page of their site. Nick, Marc, Randy, and Tommy.

Same ones on the front page of their site. Nick, Marc, Randy, and Tommy.

This is pretty neat. I never did see mine posted, guess it was too generic, lol

Tap,Tap,Tap

Its funny you mention this, the 9i is killing em right now with distance control. Straight isnt the hard part :) I think over time and comfort level could fix it. Did you have issues with your other set? I couldnt hit my old GW consistantly for some reason. The Adams is no issue though.
No, with my other set everything was pretty much the same. I didn't have any real issues (confidence or otherwise) with pulling any of them to hit. I got a tip earlier and will be working on that today. Hopefully it turns it around some.

Date: 9/24
Testing Conditions: Late round of golf.. Wasn't sure if I could even get 9 in. Last minute (got 6 in). Low 90's
Golf Ball Used: Taylormade Penta

Testing Purpose: Spin on approach shots with scoring clubs and forgiviness!

Overall:
I saw some really good performance again from this set of irons. I struggled a little bit with the 4h out of two spots but everything else was spot on. What I found in regards to the the spin on approach shots is if I catch the ball clean (not thin or fat) I get a lot of spin. So much itll come back a little. This is the 7-GW for me. If I catch it thin, I still get spin but it basically just keeps it from running too much. I have a couple shots to illustrate this. Distance wise, it's a little disappointing I'm not seeing more but I fully intend on going back to my gamer ball and seeing if that helps. I've had issues with the Penta in the past. I went, double, single, par, par, par, par before I had to stop. The Adams A12os played a pretty big part in that. Some highlights with a few clubs..

4h:
I tried a little punch shot under the tree and unfortunately I didn't quite pull it off. I then had a shot where the ball was below my feet. I've found that the rule where a ball will go left/right depending on the lie hasn't always applied with these irons. They're typically very straight. Not this time, went right on me, still a good distance but I just wasn't expecting it. Still early and I'm sure I'll get to know them over time!

PW:
I had one shot into a green with about 125 to the middle. I caught the ball low on the face. Distance was spot on but the ballflight was a lot lower. It was getting dark so I saw it hit the green, coming in hot and thought for sure I'd be chipping. To my surprise it had a good divot and only went another 4-5 feet. Pretty dang good for a lower shot coming in hot! Good to know it has that kind of stopping power.

7i:
I have a video. Above my feet so I grabbed my 7i, choked up and went to work. I expect this to by my 155 yard club and I had a little more than 160 to the end of the spot I wanted to layup. I actually ended up hitting it further than my normal distance, and just landed a little long. A miss calculation Ill take any day. The ball flight was hit with a little draw at the end. It felt effortless. The sound didnt translate well imo. HIt the green on my 3rd and two putted for par.

video:
Spoiler

8i:
Another couple vids.. Shows the shot and result. 142 I think to the middle and 156 to the end of the green. The hole was in the middle. My 8i which is my 145 was my weapon of choice. In the video I thought I pulled it but I rechecked where I was aimed and I hit it dead on. High ball flighted, landed hard and spun back a decent amount. I hit it probably further than I thought. The distances are still a mystery but I have a ballpark that I'm working with.

Shot:
Spoiler

Result:
Spoiler

Closing Thoughts:
Still really loving the transition from hybrid to hybrid iron to iron.. Just seemless which takes some underlying swing thoughts from my head. Its really no longer, Woods, hyrbids, irons, wedges.. Its not Woods, irons, wedges. Which doesnt seem like much but all my shots coming in (minus thos par 5's I get crazy) are the same. Consistancy is the key to good golf in a lot of instances. I'm also excited as I'm starting to hit the irons and hybrids further at times. I just want to get consistant distances and I'm hoping the gaps closes much like my previous set. Even if not, I still hit them plenty long. Finally, Ill mention this everytime but the pain free feeling after each round and practice session is amazing!

Yoccos, your swing is looking REALLY freaking good!

What sort of spin are you seeing with the 6h vs the 7 iron in terms of stopping power?

Good followup TMex. Are you noticing that you're mostly longer across the board or just in certain clubs?

What sort of spin are you seeing with the 6h vs the 7 iron in terms of stopping power?

Couldn't agree more, Tmex your swing is looking really good, best I've seen it. Love all the update, buddy you have me wanting to try graphite shafts.

Couldn't agree more, Tmex your swing is looking really good, best I've seen it. Love all the update, buddy you have me wanting to try graphite shafts.

I've been obsessed with them recently.

Thanks dude. I really appreciate that. Graphite shafts have been really a blessing. Some of my previous swing thoughts involved pain. Really it did. With as much turf as I can take I'd get worried about it. It's a great feeling not having to worry about it.

I've been obsessed with them recently.

I can't wait for you to try some man.

Good followup TMex. Are you noticing that you're mostly longer across the board or just in certain clubs?

Kinda funny dude, my 6h is about 5-10 yards shorter than my Razr X 6i. But my GW for the Adams is about 10 yards longer. The 8i, 7i at times are 5 yards shorter or so. The 9i is a 10 yards shorter with the Adams. I'm really considering taking these in the get adjusted if need be. But Ill take some more time before I think about seriously doing that.

I really appreciate that dude. I've been working hard at it. On hole #6 I hit the 6h. It hit the front of the green and only rolled out about 4-6 feet. That's about average. The 7i usually just stops on a dime if I'm going into a green off the tee. From the fairway, it just stops too. I'll expect a little more rollout with the 6h but its not a drastic amount at all. I'm a higher spin player but I see it translating to others (the difference between the 6h and 7i). I really looked forward to more time Hawk and Ill focus even more on that. Usually for me, I just play carry distance because I never plan on rollout with 7i down.

Thin shots run out but its really pretty tame.

Kinda funny dude, my 6h is about 5-10 yards shorter than my Razr X 6i. But my GW for the Adams is about 10 yards longer. The 8i, 7i at times are 5 yards shorter or so. The 9i is a 10 yards shorter with the Adams. I'm really considering taking these in the get adjusted if need be. But Ill take some more time before I think about seriously doing that.

Ok. I'll have my writeup done hopefully tonight but definitely tomorrow and I see a lot of what you're seeing. Keep an eye for it since some things might intrigue you.

Ok. I'll have my writeup done hopefully tonight but definitely tomorrow and I see a lot of what you're seeing. Keep an eye for it since some things might intrigue you.

Hmmmm.. This is gonna be good dude! Ill be anxiously awaiting!!!

Its a bit of an adjustment but thankfully the way I plan for approach shots and par 3's its evening out.

Great info, Yoccos. I'm not surprised to see a bit off difference, but it sounds like it's not so much that it causes issues. I love it dude. Hybrids rule.

TMexmod very nice update brobeans. I have to agree your swing is looking very good dude.

Just back from playing 18 with Ole Gray. It was a beautiful day with temps in the mid 80s and 5 mph wind. The course was a little wet after we finally received some good rain over the last 24 hours. We didn't get nearly as much roll out as usual and the balls stopped dead in their tracks on the greens. That's very unusual for our course. Played from about 5400 yards (70.7/117). I shot an 86 (14.8 when score entered on GHIN).

Today was a challenging day for me on the course as I could not get off the tee to save my life. I was in the trees more than the fairway and have videos to prove it. Luckily for me, the Adams clubs saved me on many shots.

Hole 1 Par 5: Hit my approach shot with a 7 iron from a slope with ball below my feet. Missed right because I didn't stay down with it.

Hole 2: Bad tee shot with 4 hybrid (went right). This is unusual for this club as I usually hit it well off the tee. I'm pretty sure I had the ball too far back in my stance and caught the ball with an open face. Ended up with a triple on this hole after blading an iron across the green into the trees.

Hole 3: Missed right with 4 hybrid again. This is when it dawned on me that I needed to move the ball up a little bit in my stance. I'm used to playing the Mashie back more because of the closed face. I'm catching this club with an open face because I'm not giving it time to get to the bottom of the arc. (sounds good anyway)

Hole 4: Hit my approach shot using a 6 hybrid onto green. Here's a video of the shot.

Spoiler

Hole 5: This is a par 3 and I always try to play the ball to the back hill and let it come back to the flag. I hit it right where I wanted and it came back and I almost had my first hole-in-one. It's funny to listen to Ole Gray's excitement on this video.

Spoiler

Hole 6: Hit my 8 iron on my approach shot and came up a club short (pretty much what I did a lot today) but it was right on target.

Spoiler

Hole 7: I pulled my drive into the trees and hit a great approach shot over the trees using my 6 hybrid and made a par. Ole Gray caught this shot on video too.

Spoiler

Hole 8: I stayed in the trees a lot today. What can I say? Got over these using an 8 iron and saved par on this par 5 hole.

Spoiler

Hole 9: Approach shot from fairway was using an 8 iron. Left it just short of the green but saved par. I can see the ball flight pretty good in this pic if I slow the video down. It was pretty high.

Spoiler

Hole 10: Hit a beauty with my 5 hybrid just before the creek that makes you lay up on this hole. Hit my 8 iron on the approach shot and missed a little long and right.

Hole 11: Missed right with my 4 hybrid again. Made bogey.

Hole 12: Used GW on approach and landed softly on green with no roll. Easy par.

Hole 13: Used too much club when I forgot that a downhill lie delofts your club and went over green. Ended up hitting a bad pitch back over green (lots of slopes and small green). Ended up with another triple.

Hole 14: Used 5H on my approach shot and missed just right of green. Easy par.

Hole 15: Used a 6H on my approach shot which landed just short of green for an easy par. Here's video of that shot:

Spoiler

Hole 16: Used a 6H on this par 3 that is about 150 and followed Ole Gray into the woods on the right. I don't know what I did but it was ugly. No video taken on that one. Ended up with a triple.

Hole 17: Used a PW on my approach shot on this par 5 and landed just on edge of green for an easy 2 putt par.

Hole 18: Used a 4 hybrid to get out of trouble. Yep, in the woods again from a pull off the tee. Used a 9 iron on my approach shot on this par 5 and was on back side of green for an easy 2 putt par.

I've been hitting these hybrids off the tee straighter than any club I've ever hit. Today was not like that. Since I'm having that problem with my driver and fairway woods too, I know it's a problem with my swing. I wonder if I'm swaying again? Who knows. I'll figure it out.

My new standard sized grips came in but I haven't had them put on yet. I am actually hitting my hybrids and irons well off the fairway. I'm focusing on a better alignment and realizing how different these clubs are compared to the ones I was playing that had closed faces. My miss continues to be to the right but I have a lot of shots that are straight at the pin. I'm getting these clubs figured out slowly but surely and I am really enjoying them.

I don't know if it was the sound man Kellybo, your shot's have a crisp sound to them. Is that something that you've noticed with these Irons?

TMexmod very nice update brobeans. I have to agree your swing is looking very good dude.

Thanks dude. I think these graphite shafts just give me some unreal confidence.

Great info, Yoccos. I'm not surprised to see a bit off difference, but it sounds like it's not so much that it causes issues. I love it dude. Hybrids rule.

These hybrids are special Hawk! Extremely forgiving.

TMex I have to agree with everyone else. Your swing looks tight. Great post. And KB what a great post and vids.

TMex I have to agree with everyone else. Your swing looks tight. Great post. And KB what a great post and vids.

Thanks dude. I'm really finding a groove with these irons. The graphite is helping too.

Great reviews so far guys and gal.

Yoccos, what shaft were you playing in your old irons? Glad to hear you can play without pain. Had a bout with golfer elbow earlier this summer and it sucked bad. Shaft and grip size change helped me.

Keep the great stuff coming guys. Love the videos, what are you recording them on?

Back