Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Played 18 from gold tees today (5400 yards 70.7/117 slope rating)
Shot 84 (43,41) (12.8 handicap)
31 putts
11 fairways
7 GIRs
Temp - mid 80s, light winds

Front (par,bogey,triple,double,par,par,par,bogey)
Back (par,bogey,par,double,bogey,bogey,par,par,par)

Some shots made with Adams that stand out:
  • 6 hybrid - approach hit high and landed on middle of green but green was downhill so it rolled off back (didn't expect as much distance as I got-really pretty shot), bladed my chip, bogey
  • GW - approach hit about 10' from pin, par
  • PW - approach to front of green, par
  • 4H - fairway shot set me up for a nice pitch on a par 5, par
  • PW - approach just off edge of green, par
  • 8i - just short of green (flag was in front), par
  • 6 hybrid - par 3 went right where I aimed and was about 10' short of pin, par
  • 8i on par 3, pin high to middle of green, par
  • 6 hybrid - approach landed on green, par
I had 3 really bad shots with the Adams today:
  • Two tee shots with the 4 hybrid were terrible. Just put a bad swing and topped one and decelerated on the other one and left it way short. I was loving this club off the tee. I've got to figure out what's going on here. I think I'm just not confident that I can reach because the pins were on the back and I was probably swinging too hard. Both were on long par 3's. I usually hit my 7 wood but had taken it out of the bag.
  • Thinned the 6 hybrid on a fairway shot and went over the green almost into the lake. That was probably my first and only bad shot with the 6 hybrid. It's definitely my favorite club in the set so far.
I'm definitely feeling the love for this set. I am especially fond of the hybrids over my Mashies which really surprises me. I like the fact that I can aim to a target and know that this club is going in that direction with no big draw, hook or fade for me. I'm also seeing straight ball flight with the irons. I like that! I love my Ping G15s but they have a draw bias for me too. It will be interesting to see if I go back to the Pings or keep these irons in my bag. Right now I'm torn but I suspect that it will be easy to figure out after a couple months with the Adams.

Last edited:
31 putts
11 fairways
7 GIRs

• 6 hybrid - approach hit high and landed on middle of green but green was downhill so it rolled off back (didn't expect as much distance as I got-really pretty shot), bladed my chip, bogey
  • 6 hybrid - par 3 went right where I aimed and was about 10' short on pin, par

• Two tee shots with the 4 hybrid were terrible. Just put a bad swing and topped one and decelerated on the other one and left it way short. I was loving this club off the tee. I've got to figure out what's going on here. I think I'm just not confident that I can reach because the pins were on the back and I was probably swinging too hard. Both were on long par 3's. I usually hit my 7 wood but had taken it out of the bag.
  • Thinned the 6 hybrid on a fairway shot and went over the green almost into the lake. That was probably my first and only bad shot with the 6 hybrid. It's definitely my favorite club in the set so far.
I'm definitely feeling the love for this set. I am especially fond of the hybrids over my Mashies which really surprises me. I like the fact that I can aim to a target and know that this club is going in that direction with no big draw, hook or fade for me. I'm also seeing straight ball flight with the irons. I like that! I love my Ping G15s but they have a draw bias for me too. It will be interesting to see if I go back to the Pings or keep these irons in my bag. Right now I'm torn but I suspect that it will be easy to figure out after a couple months with the Adams.

She is totally nuking the 6 hybrid on every shot she hits with this club! I am talking about beautiful long and straight shots. I think she should putt with the six hybrid :eek:)!

31 putts
11 fairways
7 GIRs

• 6 hybrid - par 3 went right where I aimed and was about 10' short on pin, par

Love the write KB. I love how you gave both sides of the coin here with good and bad shots. I like hearing that you're hitting straighter iron shots that your previous set. Do you know if your Adams are more upright or flatter than your old set? Or do you think that the Adams are just gonna be straight clubs for you ?

Ill have some thoughts from my range session tomroow.

Good writeups so far! I may snag the 3h & 4h to replace my Nike SQs when these come out.

Love the write KB. I love how you gave both sides of the coin here with good and bad shots. I like hearing that you're hitting straighter iron shots that your previous set. Do you know if your Adams are more upright or flatter than your old set? Or do you think that the Adams are just gonna be straight clubs for you ?

I don't know. I am going to ask my instructor to check them out on my next visit (hopefully this weekend). He did the fitting for my G15s.

One thing I have learned about my misses through this testing and videos, is that I sometimes have a terrible setup aiming too far right or I close my stance. In fact I caught that again on a video yesterday. This is a snapshot from the video right before impact. This is the only pull/draw that I hit yesterday with the irons. It ended up about 15-20 yards left of the pin. I have to do a better job with alignment! When I am square to the target, these clubs are straight as an arrow.
adams.jpg

I don't know. I am going to ask my instructor to check them out on my next visit (hopefully this weekend). He did the fitting for my G15s.

One thing I have learned about my misses through this testing and videos, is that I sometimes have a terrible setup aiming too far right or I close my stance. In fact I caught that again on a video yesterday. This is a snapshot from the video right before impact. This is the only pull/draw that I hit yesterday with the irons. It ended up about 15-20 yards left of the pin. I have to do a better job with alignment! When I am square to the target, these clubs are straight as an arrow.
adams.jpg

I have personally witnessed KellyBo hitting some stunning shots with these Adams clubs. She is playing with mid size grips on them which are too large for her. I can't wait to see her hit them with the proper size grips. She has a tournament tomorrow so maybe tonight I can yank the mid size off and put her some standard size grips on.

adams.jpg

Great observation Kelly! I was having an issue of the pull/draw (not hook haha) last night and Ill need to check that out. Spanks post had me think about the lightweight shaft but I'm thinking now, its just alignment. there were some really nice, high shots that went a mile and some that were nice, high and not so far.

KB, I love having you in this testing. You're very knowledgeable about the swing and when its a club vs swing type thought you're great at pointing us in the right direction. I hope that made sense!

Great observation Kelly! I was having an issue of the pull/draw (not hook haha) last night and Ill need to check that out. Spanks post had me think about the lightweight shaft but I'm thinking now, its just alignment. there were some really nice, high shots that went a mile and some that were nice, high and not so far.

KB, I love having you in this testing. You're very knowledgeable about the swing and when its a club vs swing type thought you're great at pointing us in the right direction. I hope that made sense!

Thanks Yoccos. That means a lot to me!

Nice job on the write-ups yesterday Yoccos, Smallie, Spank and Kelly. Sort of a mix of positives and negatives from everyone, but hope that's just part of the learning curve. I worked a huge day yesterday and have three more ahead of me, but get Saturday and Sunday off this week, pretty darned excited about that one. I may get to the range for a little bit prior to work today, but thats still up in the air.

Spank mentioned a test I would like to see between the 6 hybrid and a standard 6i for distance and direction on a consistent basis. The 7i get's me 155 and I can feather that a bit to go a tad longer or shorter, but the next step up with the 6h net's a bit more than the 165 that I need to fill the gap and feathering that club has been tough.

Nice job on the write-ups yesterday Yoccos, Smallie, Spank and Kelly. Sort of a mix of positives and negatives from everyone, but hope that's just part of the learning curve. I worked a huge day yesterday and have three more ahead of me, but get Saturday and Sunday off this week, pretty darned excited about that one. I may get to the range for a little bit prior to work today, but thats still up in the air.

Spank mentioned a test I would like to see between the 6 hybrid and a standard 6i for distance and direction on a consistent basis. The 7i get's me 155 and I can feather that a bit to go a tad longer or shorter, but the next step up with the 6h net's a bit more than the 165 that I need to fill the gap and feathering that club has been tough.

I like the idea of testing the 6 hybrid against a 6 iron too. It would be good to see several reviews of that. I'll give it a try this week.

Removed the mid-sized grips that came with my clubs and installed Golf Pride - DD2 Durometer standard grips which will fit me better. I'm playing in a Member/Guest tournament (best ball) tomorrow so I'll have a chance to try them out.

DSCF9927.jpg

Date: 9/28
Conditions: Low 80's no wind! late though.. Caught the range before they were closing.
Testing Grounds: Dobson Ranch Golf Couse (did I mention the staff there rocks???)
Testing Purpose: 7i and GW work.

Initial:
Interesting day. The clubs performed really well. I had a bad case of overcooked draw and pull though. I do like the fact mishits arent as punishing but I wonder if maybe less distance would have kept me out of trouble? Not really, these were big pulls with some draw/hookish action. The GW is still getting there. Full shots are a breeze but if you catch it fat I find it to be a little more punishing distance wise than the other clubs. But it still stays really straight and online. Now onto some details:

7i:
I was starting to see more distance out of this club which is good but not a must. I do like the point and aim mentallity. I had some directional issues but to be honest, they would've hurt me with any club. Only difference is I wouldve been further up with these. There is a noticable difference both audible/feel wise on mishits and center hits that is becomming more appearant with each passing session. I wouldnt call it harsh on mishits but its solid with little softness if any. The great thing is seeing your ball only lose 10 or so yards haha. Although the real fat shots lose more, just not as much as my previous set. Good thing there while I work on a few things swing wise.

GW:
Full shots are becomming easier and I'm still learning the 3/4 to 1/2 shots. What I find fascinating at times is when I choke up, take a half swing and hit it as far as my normal swings. Definitely user error but really says to me, I have some work to do. For all the "GI's/SGI's" cant help you be a better golfer, these really help with seeing some issues I didnt think were there. They reward a smooth (not slow) and fluid tempo, over a loose or too agressive one. What's not learning there?

Overall:
Still have work to do on distance control but thats a big positive to these clubs. Rewarding yet forgiving and they really make the learning process not as frustrating because of the forgiveness. Hope that makes sense. I'll be heading to the range later, not quite sure what Ill be testing but we will see!

Removed the mid-sized grips that came with my clubs and installed Golf Pride - DD2 Durometer standard grips which will fit me better. I'm playing in a Member/Guest tournament (best ball) tomorrow so I'll have a chance to try them out.

DSCF9927.jpg

Nice KB! Ill be curious what type of changes you see ballflight wise with grips better suited towards you!

Yoccos glad to see you have found some extra distance, the control will come. Stay at it brother, nice write up.

Kelly Bo Love the grips, very classy...

Really enjoying these reviews. Feels like I am right there with everyone.

Yoccos you mentioned some big pulls and hooks. Do you think that is you, the clubs, or both?

Date: 9/28
Conditions: Low 80's no wind! late though.. Caught the range before they were closing.
Testing Grounds: Dobson Ranch Golf Couse (did I mention the staff there rocks???)
Testing Purpose: 7i and GW work.

Initial:
Interesting day. The clubs performed really well. I had a bad case of overcooked draw and pull though. I do like the fact mishits arent as punishing but I wonder if maybe less distance would have kept me out of trouble? Not really, these were big pulls with some draw/hookish action. The GW is still getting there. Full shots are a breeze but if you catch it fat I find it to be a little more punishing distance wise than the other clubs. But it still stays really straight and online. Now onto some details:

7i:
I was starting to see more distance out of this club which is good but not a must. I do like the point and aim mentallity. I had some directional issues but to be honest, they would've hurt me with any club. Only difference is I wouldve been further up with these. There is a noticable difference both audible/feel wise on mishits and center hits that is becomming more appearant with each passing session. I wouldnt call it harsh on mishits but its solid with little softness if any. The great thing is seeing your ball only lose 10 or so yards haha. Although the real fat shots lose more, just not as much as my previous set. Good thing there while I work on a few things swing wise.

GW:
Full shots are becomming easier and I'm still learning the 3/4 to 1/2 shots. What I find fascinating at times is when I choke up, take a half swing and hit it as far as my normal swings. Definitely user error but really says to me, I have some work to do. For all the "GI's/SGI's" cant help you be a better golfer, these really help with seeing some issues I didnt think were there. They reward a smooth (not slow) and fluid tempo, over a loose or too agressive one. What's not learning there?

Overall:
Still have work to do on distance control but thats a big positive to these clubs. Rewarding yet forgiving and they really make the learning process not as frustrating because of the forgiveness. Hope that makes sense. I'll be heading to the range later, not quite sure what Ill be testing but we will see!

Interesting to hear you're hitting the half shots as far as full. Do you think the contact is better or maybe you are just in a better position with the partial shots? I wonder if that could translate to the other irons??

Great job T-Mex, I do like how these irons dont seem to lose as much distance on mishits as my R7's did.

KB, can't wait to hear your thoughts after getting some grips that fit you...wouldn't be suprised to see you drawing the ball a little now.

Gonna try and get out late tomorrow if the weather holds.

Really enjoying these reviews. Feels like I am right there with everyone.

Yoccos you mentioned some big pulls and hooks. Do you think that is you, the clubs, or both?

Appreciate you taking the time to read everything, means a lot. It's 100% me. Tonight I hit a couple pulls but for the most part I tried to be conscious of where I was aligned and that made the difference. I met Redlyne Theory at the range tonight and he was digging the ballflight. I have a couple swing flaws but the one that kills me the most is when I flip my wrist which will cause a pull, pull/hook or slice depending if I get the clubface closed. I just love how the misses don't put me out as much as some other clubs. It really helps with the frustration factor when I'm working on my swing. I feel like I have a better attitude and that makes swing changes much easier.

The shaft really holds up well and my miss would be relevant no matter what shaft or club I would be hitting. Hope that made sense! I probably talked a little more than you needed haha.

Yoccos glad to see you have found some extra distance, the control will come. Stay at it brother, nice write up.

Kelly Bo Love the grips, very classy...

Thanks man! There were some bombs coming from tonight's session. I'll have a write up tomorrow but Ill just say, it was a real good night. Solid contact and even some on purpose fades/draws. :)

Interesting to hear you're hitting the half shots as far as full. Do you think the contact is better or maybe you are just in a better position with the partial shots? I wonder if that could translate to the other irons??

I think for the most part my swing is pretty consistant so Ill hit the same area usually, just like you mentioned though, the shorter swing puts me in a much better spot. Its something I'm constantly looking to do and its a work in progress. I'm going to take some impact tape to my irons to see where I'm hitting them and then maybe look at some adjustments if needed. These irons offer plenty of feedback its just good to know with a more precise method.

Great job T-Mex, I do like how these irons dont seem to lose as much distance on mishits as my R7's did.

KB, can't wait to hear your thoughts after getting some grips that fit you...wouldn't be suprised to see you drawing the ball a little now.

Gonna try and get out late tomorrow if the weather holds.

Thanks man!! Hopefully you're able to get out. I just really enjoy hitting these clubs.

Thanks man!! Hopefully you're able to get out. I just really enjoy hitting these clubs.

yeah me too! I have had a few 1/2 shots that have flown as far as a full shot as well...I usually contribute it to the shorter swing just making better contact with more forward lean in the shaft.....but what do I know...LOL

yeah me too! I have had a few 1/2 shots that have flown as far as a full shot as well...I usually contribute it to the shorter swing just making better contact with more forward lean in the shaft.....but what do I know...LOL

Hahahaha... Its something I try and work on. The lighter shaft makes it easier to do for me. Dont feel like I have to kill it.

I really enjoyed seeing these irons in action tonight. Yoccos was hitting them like a champ!

KB, the new grips look great on there, hope they turn out to be just what you were looking for. Good luck out there today.

Yoccos, nice job buddy. A few pulls/hooks and you mentioned fat shots several times, is it possible you were just going after these a bit more than normal trying to reach some extra distance? That's sort of what happened to me the last time out playing a bit longer course with more slope. I found I was sliding a bit trying to swing a bit harder and coming over the top at times.

KB, the new grips look great on there, hope they turn out to be just what you were looking for. Good luck out there today.

Yoccos, nice job buddy. A few pulls/hooks and you mentioned fat shots several times, is it possible you were just going after these a bit more than normal trying to reach some extra distance? That's sort of what happened to me the last time out playing a bit longer course with more slope. I found I was sliding a bit trying to swing a bit harder and coming over the top at times.

It sure is at times Due. My swing gets all out of sorts if I go too hard and no club can save that. When I get home from work I'm going to put some thoughts together about last nights range session. It was a good mix for me. I really didnt hit many bad shots and even those would've been playable (except a couple wouldve been tough).

Back