Future of Product Testing on THP

I know it's been hard as hell not to vanish with the thing I am currently testing. hehe

Sitting here laughing out loud. Rep will be added when I am at my desk in a few.

Tappin' from my iPad!

THP should really consider doing some Apple testing. :)

Tapatalk: even Romosexuals use it

The clubs are not property of THP.
As was mentioned earlier in the thread we are not big on having to have someone fill out a legal contract. Nor do I want to have to take every case to small claims court for property that is not mine or THPs. We are just going to have to get better at selection.

When clubs go missing, there are ramifications that people dont realize. Whether it be that the company no longer works with us in this manner, or something else, there are ramifications. Forum testing is not free. It costs us money and a heck of a lot of time. Donations for THP are what fund this and without those, we wouldnt continue to do it so as usual a big thank you for those that click that button. With two sets up and leaving from one testing, we are going back to making sure we believe our testers are going to be with us for a while. We are reevaluating our goals with the system in place and how we can be more careful in the selection process.

And while we always want to give back to the community and forum this way, right now I have to say its not worth the hassle. The cons outweigh the pros by a good margin.
Always fear of missing clubs
Time it takes to do
Angry and disappointed forum members when they are not selected
People coming back only for testing and then we hear the classic line "Im not much of a poster but here every day lurking and reading and if you give me these, I will post more". I bet I read almost that exact line with EVERY testing we put up. Despite us saying the exact same thing in every testing thread. Stay active, get to test, not being active, will not get to test. Its not a gray area, but a black and white rule.

Its just something we have to work on to make a little better for everybody involved. We have never had an issue with someone that has been to an outing/MC running off with equipment, so I definitely think it has more to do with the internet and meeting people face to face than it does the character of people as a whole.

Tremendous post JB. We sometimes forget how stressful it is for you guys and how much you/we rely on relationships with these OEMS and just 1 or 2 people can completely damage those relationships. With that said and with the way things went down with the Nike Pro Combo testing, there really is no perfect solution. JB, GG and the OEM's will make whatever decision is best for the community and people will just have to accept it. If you are only here for testing then you probably don't belong around here anyway.

Tapatalk: even Romosexuals use it

We did, unfortunately we wanted unbiased reviews rather than just fans, so you were not selected. :act-up:

It's so unfortunate to have to see tbis thread keep coming back up. I'm not going to try to solve the problem, but I sure as hell will gladly help with anything I can and will continue to support THP. Thanks for all the hard work you guys at THP put in for us, especially JB and GG.

We did, unfortunately we wanted unbiased reviews rather than just fans, so you were not selected. :act-up:

hahaha

I hate to see you had to come in here and make a post about this JB. But, it is a problem obviously. I am one of the lucky ones who has tested equipment and I am grateful for it. I would hate to see it gone but if its whats best for THP then I wouldnt complain. I came on here looking for reviews on a particular set of irons and never imagined testing equipment. So, I would continue to be an active member if it went away.

I agree dude. I dont know why I came here, but Im here now and not going anywhere. Plus if I leave, I wont know about future outings that I can try and attend.

hahaha

I hate to see you had to come in here and make a post about this JB. But, it is a problem obviously. I am one of the lucky ones who has tested equipment and I am grateful for it. I would hate to see it gone but if its whats best for THP then I wouldnt complain. I came on here looking for reviews on a particular set of irons and never imagined testing equipment. So, I would continue to be an active member if it went away.

I hate when this thread gets bumped up, but understand the reasons for it. The fact that there are forum members who are active until they get what they want then disappear is even worse. It says a lot about who they are as a person, and that's something they have to live with, plus the fact that they will be immortalized on THP as a piece of crap.

Do I want forum testing to continue? Absolutely. Would I understand if Forum Testing as we know it was completely changed? Absolutely. THP gives back to it's members like no other, and the fact that this causes undue stress and complications for THP, OEM's and everyone else involved is terrible. I know THP will do what it needs to do, and I support whatever decision that is. I for one have enjoyed being part of equipment testing, it has given me the opportunity to look at the game of golf from a completely different perspective, and for that I am thankful.

Maybe all new members should have to come read through this thread prior to signing up for Forum Testing? That would be eye opening...

LMAO! Im so not going to post today.

So many things I want to say and don't have the words to get the point across in the right manner.

I'd like forum testing to remain, but I'd gladly sacrifice it for the good of the community as a whole.
I want lots of new members, but don't want the leeches.
The future of THP is more important than the feelings of a select few members.

So many things I want to say and don't have the words to get the point across in the right manner.

I'd like forum testing to remain, but I'd gladly sacrifice it for the good of the community as a whole.
I want lots of new members, but don't want the leeches.
The future of THP is more important than the feelings of a select few members.

This. Well said. Rep added.

This thread doesn't piss me off in the sense it may piss others off. I get pissed off because JB/GG truly open their world to us and some take advantage of it. I joke a lot but some of the times I see this stuff and just get real upset.

Sometimes people don't realize how much testing is but its a lot. Not only does it involve taking the time to get out in the field (range/course/backyard etc) but its a lot to write your thoughts. It also involves supporting other testers too. I know sometimes I get wrapped up in whatever thread I'm involved in but we also have to realize, supporting every thread out there with your thoughts is important too. Whether you think the feedback stinks, has holes or is great.. have to support it to show the OEM's it's worth it.

There are a lot of great testers out there and it sucks a couple of them won't (not can't) hold their weight. Whatever is best for THP at this point is what is going to happen. Ill fully support however its done from here on out.

To the people, and you know who you are.. get it together.

I am a new member and was recently selected to test a product. I certainly will do my very best. As stated in earlier posts, I know who to contact if I need help during my testing...those SAME GUYS that have always answered any of my questions in ANY AND EVERY thread, I call them "the regulars"..which I will always thank for your help.

That said, until I caught up on this thread, I guess I never really took the time to think about the testing processes from the THP side. I guess because I think this site is cool, that all the big OEMs we see on Sunday would just be dying to be involved too (sarcastic of course). I guess I never thought about the amount of time that everybody "above me" on this site has poured into it, so that today, when MY equipment arrives for me to test....THAT I EVEN HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO DO SO.

Last time I checked, there's only a DONATE button up there at the top, no reoccurring charges on my credit card statement. No user account "set up fee"...Just a few people that paved a way for this stuff to even happen.

I don't know why, but this really clicked inside my head when I read a statement in this thread about being "our first testing with Nike"..or something like that, and all of a sudden I pictured all the discussions and for lack of a better term, negociations that had to take place between THP and Nike before Mr. Knight and his folks just started UPS-ing a truckload of equipment over. I forget (no offense JB & GG) that THP is a site run by the same people who use it and not by a huge name in golf. I can understand maybe Golfsmith or Golf Galaxy offering equipment testing/reviewing....but THP is simply people doing hard work to get us these opportunities based ONLY on what they can show as past performances, a prayer, and probably at times some luck.

In all honesty, I cannot say that this site would have drawn me in like it did if the testing wasn't around...not because I want to be a tester, after all you aren't gonna' test 100% of the equipment....I WANT to know what people just like me think. There is one current testing that absolutely changed my opinion on a product, this one went from the "Maybe" category to the "Nah, Not for Me", because I read someone's opinion I've began to trust based on help they've offered me and our similar opinions on other equipment.

I don't know what the answer is here, but I'll gladly join Tadashi70's posse.

Reactions: JB
Nice post JB. I can't imagine how stressful forum testing must be for you guys. I'm sure the backlash sucks. You guys need to do what's best for THP. The folks who support you guys and your site, will support whatever decisions you guys make.
I'm sure the decisions on testing are among the most stressful of all the decisions they have to make about THP as a whole. I know it sucks to watch people take advantage of an opportunity and give nothing back.

Great post JB. I know it stinks when you get burned from trusting people. I hope that the damage can be repaired with the company and more testing can happen with them. I understand going with the members that are hear to stay. I know there are some great new people around, but it is hard to tell if they are going to stay around. Heck I would have never thought one of the members with the iron set would have left. Crazy. I think THPs selection process is great. I think they try to include new people and put some veterans in the mix for security sake. I say keep with your methods and testing will continue to be as great as it is now.
Hopefully the companies realize that some people are going to take the money and run so to speak. They have been doing pre-release testing for a long time and I'm sure they have been burned more times than they care to remember. I obviously don't have any stats in front of me, but I hope that the incident rate for that happening with THP testing is low in comparison. It's sometimes very apparent who is here for the swag and who isn't and JB and GG have done a pretty good job of ffiguring that out. Sometimes people fool the entire forum, and that is just unfortunate.

I'm waiting for the Honma testing. hehehe

I never understood why people get so bent out of shape when they don't get selected. Big freakin deal, you weren't selected. Sign up for something else and maybe you'll have better odds that time. Yes you're allowed to be disappointed and that's understandable, but to start slamming the people who run the site and complaining? That's a guaranteed way to make sure you don't get selected for anything.

Man I hate to see this thread back on the first page, but I DO understand the reason for it. It sucks that a couple of "bad apples" can disrupt things so much! JB, I know that you and GG have worked incredibly hard to develop relationships with the OEM's and to think that some people would risk those relationships for some "free stuff" really blows my mind.

As someone who is currently testing products, I really hope that it doesn't have to go away because I think that part of what makes THP great, but if it does, I will stand by THP either way. This place is like my second home.

This thread doesn't piss me off in the sense it may piss others off. I get pissed off because JB/GG truly open their world to us and some take advantage of it. I joke a lot but some of the times I see this stuff and just get real upset.

Sometimes people don't realize how much testing is but its a lot. Not only does it involve taking the time to get out in the field (range/course/backyard etc) but its a lot to write your thoughts. It also involves supporting other testers too. I know sometimes I get wrapped up in whatever thread I'm involved in but we also have to realize, supporting every thread out there with your thoughts is important too. Whether you think the feedback stinks, has holes or is great.. have to support it to show the OEM's it's worth it.

There are a lot of great testers out there and it sucks a couple of them won't (not can't) hold their weight. Whatever is best for THP at this point is what is going to happen. Ill fully support however its done from here on out.

To the people, and you know who you are.. get it together.

Great post Yoccos. i am finding out how much time it takes to write up everything and edit my videos and upload stuff. I don't mind the testing part on the course or range id normally be there anyway. Im just lucky to have a job where i have a lot of free time especially during the week. But i like giving back and although it has become harder to keep up on some of the other testing i try to support them too. and there are a few that ive def kept my eye on like the Scor wedges. Just hard not getting tunnel vision especially with this being my first testing experience which i am truly enjoying doing.

I would like to see some honest feedback. Seems like everytime something is tested here it's the greatest club in the world until the next set rolls around. I understand there are relationships built with companies and people don't want to come somewhere and say something is total crap, but it seems like every review thread I read it's the greatest thing ever made, then two weeks later its something else.

People read these things and make judgements with large sums of money based on what people write here and sometimes it just seems like the truth isn't always being told.

Edited for poor choice of wording.

Last edited:
I would like to see some honest feedback. Seems like everytime something is tested here it's the greatest club in the world until the next set rolls around. I understand there are relationships built with companies and people don't want to come somewhere and say something is total crap, but it seems like every review thread I read it's the greatest thing ever made, then two weeks later its something else.

People read these things and make judgements with large sums of money based on what people write here and sometimes it just seems like the truth isn't always being told.

There's my rant, have at it.

I would have to say I agree and I may be guilty of it myself. I test the Greensaver and have tried to post exactly what I thought of it. I had some gripes with it on sandy greens and on wet greens, and I tried to voice that clearly.

I often ask questions in the review threads, and always get positive answers. I think our testers do a fantastic job here, and I don't read every post of every thread, I don't see too many things that aren't fantastic, and frankly, that's unlikely for many clubs. Once again, I don't read every thread thoroughly, so our testers may very well state problems they've had and I don't notice.

Thanks for posting your rant because I think it needed to be said.

There's my rant, have at it.

I was honest that I thought the R11 was a little harsh and unforgiving. I loved the performance but I never said it was the BEST hybrid ever made. At the same time, we are getting brand new top of the line equipment, most of it is pretty awesome.

I would have to say I agree and I may be guilty of it myself. I test the Greensaver and have tried to post exactly what I thought of it. I had some gripes with it on sandy greens and on wet greens, and I tried to voice that clearly.

I often ask questions in the review threads, and always get positive answers. I think our testers do a fantastic job here, and I don't read every post of every thread, I don't see too many things that aren't fantastic, and frankly, that's unlikely for many clubs. Once again, I don't read every thread thoroughly, so our testers may very well state problems they've had and I don't notice.

Thanks for posting your rant because I think it needed to be said.

I agree with you and for the most part the reviews are great here. It really only seems to be a problem with clubs. I don't know if it's just so people think they will be chosen again in the future or they don't want to make JB or GG "mad" but sometimes there is just so much misinformation it's a little frustrating.

I agree with you and for the most part the reviews are great here. It really only seems to be a problem with clubs. I don't know if it's just so people think they will be chosen again in the future or they don't want to make JB or GG "mad" but sometimes there is just so much misinformation it's a little frustrating.

Care to be a little more specific? Hard not to think you're talking about the R11 thread.

It's true. I've hit a few of the clubs reviewed and completely disagree with some of the stuff people put. Now that may just be personal feel, but because the opinions are so far apart, I have a hard time believing that.

Not trying to argue my friend, just a lot of companies are putitng out a lot of good equipment. I think as the testing progresses you start to really see whether or not a clubs works for that person or doesnt. How many times have you picked up a driver, had the driving of your life for two weeks and then it goes back to normal? Or even with an iron set? Different things to different people and I would say if you have questions, bring it up in the testing thread.

Care to be a little more specific? Hard not to think you're talking about the R11 thread.

Not particularly, I'm not here to call anyone out specifically. The people who do this know who they are.

Just remember, and this is to everyone. People spend alot of money based on what people say here. I know how hard it is for me to round up 800$ for a new set of irons or 400$ for a new driver, 300 for a new putter, etc.

Back