SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

Tim,

Call me crazy, however, why would you not get the Eidolon wedges while you can. They have the same V-Sole, Superior Macked out Grooves, made by the same company and are less expensive.

Do not get me wrong. When my Eidolons need replacing, Scor will be at the top of my list. I just believe, as amateurs, why would we not take advantage of the added spin created by the the square groove technology while we can?

Tim,

Call me crazy, however, why would you not get the Eidolon wedges while you can. They have the same V-Sole, Superior Macked out Grooves, made by the same company and are less expensive.

Do not get me wrong. When my Eidolons need replacing, Scor will be at the top of my list. I just believe, as amateurs, why would we not take advantage of the added spin created by the the square groove technology while we can?

here are a couple of reasons one might consider it. I agree with you a little bit. But, the short game is what makes or breaks you. People are willing to spen $300 on a driver, but I can assure you these wedges will help your game more than that new driver but people hesitate to spend the extra little bit of money. I am not disagreeing with you. Just throwing out points for th eother side of that

SGC3 Progressive Weighting
  • Short Game Control x 3 – trajectory, spin, distance. To optimize spin with the new competition grooves, we created the first progressively weighted scoring clubs. Seven different head designed to deliver improved accuracy and more forgiveness than any short irons and ordinary wedges ever could. The higher lofts have a low center of mass to give you ball-stopping control on shorter shots. But, as lofts decrease, you'll see an increasing measure of heel/toe weighting, a thicker face and a higher center of mass to deliver pro-like trajectories. No conventional wedges or set-match short irons can compare.
Precision Cast Carbon Steel/Tru-Form-Forged
  • Long the preferred material for premium irons and wedges, SCOR4161 heads are cast of soft and malleable 8620 carbon steel. But in a market-exclusive process, each head is then super-heated to 1,000+ degrees and compressed with an 800-ton forging hammer, which re-aligns the metal molecules to create an unmatched feel. The end product is much more similar to a true forged head in feel and malleability than to any casting on the market.
Proprietary GENIUS™ Steel and Graphite Shafts
  • SCOR4161 is built on a matrix of proprietary shafts designed for scoring club performance. SCORGOLF’s line of GENIUS™ Precision Scoring Shafts includes conventional weight steel and two weights of graphite, each available in 2 or 3 flex options. GENIUS 12 is a standard weight steel shaft co-engineered with Kim Braley of KBS® Shafts. GENIUS 9 is a standard weight (mid 90 grams) graphite shaft designed to blend with lightweight steel and “tour” weight graphite offerings in irons, while GENIUS 7 is the first and only lightweight carbon fiber shaft (mid 70 grams) designed to optimize balance, feel, trajectories and short game performance for the growing number of players who play irons with graphite shafts in the 60-75 gram range. Both were co-engineered with UST Mamiya®.

One T,

It sounds like the KBS shafts are a definite upgrade. My Eidolon's are equipped with Apollo Stepless shafts. I believe Eidolon originally used the Rife Spinners, however, switched to the Apollo's at some time.

I am presently Honeymooning with my Eidolon wedges, so it is hard to think of others!!!! He He!!!

Grinder

One T,

It sounds like the KBS shafts are a definite upgrade. My Eidolon's are equipped with Apollo Stepless shafts. I believe Eidolon originally used the Rife Spinners, however, switched to the Apollo's at some time.

I am presently Honeymooning with my Eidolon wedges, so it is hard to think of others!!!! He He!!!

Grinder

I am not sure what shafts Eidelon had previously. I couldnt agree more. When I first got my Eidelons I wondered....why dont more people play these?

One T,

Grinder

And believe me, One-t loved his Eidelon's as well, but he's so much more lethal with the SCOR's. I've never hit either of them but I've probably played 100 rounds of golf with One-t in the last year or so, so I know his game well. Like I said in an earlier post, from 140 yards and in, I don't think he's going to miss the green.

I love the Eidolon/Scor concept. Small company that specializes in one product and strives to create a superior product that is tailored to each individual.

I also play a Seemore M2 putter for this very same reason. I take pride in not following the mass marketing crowd.

This is the main reason I joined this site. Real golfers evaluating equipment and giving honest feedback. To me, this is much more credible than reading the major golf publications. Those magazines are too dependent on the big companies advertising dollars to think we are getting the whole picture.

To all of those that are evaluating equipment, I thank you for taking the time to share your opinions with the rest of us!

Grinder

I love the Eidolon/Scor concept. Small company that specializes in one product and strives to create a superior product that is tailored to each individual.

I also play a Seemore M2 putter for this very same reason. I take pride in not following the mass marketing crowd.

This is the main reason I joined this site. Real golfers evaluating equipment and giving honest feedback. To me, this is much more credible than reading the major golf publications. Those magazines are too dependent on the big companies advertising dollars to think we are getting the whole picture.

To all of those that are evaluating equipment, I thank you for taking the time to share your opinions with the rest of us!

Grinder

thanks for taking the time to read it.

Here are some pics of the wear on the clubs so far.

6192135088_b926986b83_z.jpg

6191617109_42e814be28_z.jpg

On the 50 you can see I am hitting the sweet spot and some out toward the toe.

6191617533_0ebe2307ba_z.jpg

6192135610_c3f3826b21_z.jpg

45 has seen the heaviest use. Think I may be on to something here as to why I am not getting the distance I want out of the 45. Almost all the strikes are off center. I do have all of these bent 2 flat like my irons. The sole of the 45 was punished when I dug up 2 rocks on a swing.

6191617947_1d2c528e98_z.jpg

6191617773_a4639630ae_z.jpg

Been doing a lot of different shots with the 60 so I expect to have some disorganized wear on the face.

6192136448_e9083faf27_z.jpg

6191618367_d1b184b201_z.jpg

55 gets dirty as it is my main chipper for the moment. Very consistent wear on the face.

The first part of the sole is absorbing almost all the wear. The secondary flatter part of the sole is staying very clean. Pleased with the wear so far. Grips are like new even through cool wet rounds. That I have been hitting these so well even with my off center strikes says a lot about the forgiveness of the SCORs. Nothing can keep a bad swing from making a bad shot, but the SCORs have been covering my misses pretty well so far. I need to get on a lie board with the 45, that consistent off center wear is puzzling. Wear on the 50 face is a little off as well, but I am pretty sure the bulk of those misses was from a poor range session.

Nice pics...good idea!

Nice pictures Griff. How is the performance with the 50 with hitting towards the toe? That tends to be where I catch most of my wedge shots too.

Great pictures Griff...since your set-up is similar to mine, just curious if you feel like you are hitting it out on the toe more with the 45 specifically due to the smaller hitting area of it versus your Redline 9i or PW? Early on, I found myself doing that with the 45 compared to my R11s. I hit a couple of hosel rockets early, and probably over corrected a bit.

Thanks One-T, that's exactly what I was looking for, I knew you and some others had played the Eidolons before and was just wondering if you thought the $100 dollars difference between those and the Scor's were worth it.

Nice pics...good idea!

Thanks man!

Nice pictures Griff. How is the performance with the 50 with hitting towards the toe? That tends to be where I catch most of my wedge shots too.

Thanks dmb. If that 50 wear is from my bad range session, pretty sure it is, I saw lost distance. Balls were nice and straight, just short. 50 will see heavy use next time out so I can report more then. It's seen very little course time.

Great pictures Griff...since your set-up is similar to mine, just curious if you feel like you are hitting it out on the toe more with the 45 specifically due to the smaller hitting area of it versus your Redline 9i or PW? Early on, I found myself doing that with the 45 compared to my R11s. I hit a couple of hosel rockets early, and probably over corrected a bit.

Thanks ad. I'll check this out next time I hit them side by side. The wear on the Redline PW is pretty much in the middle. What's even more confusing is the Redline PW is shorter than the SCOR 45. At least my misses with the 45 are consistent. Will be much easier to find a fix.

Thanks ad. I'll check this out next time I hit them side by side. The wear on the Redline PW is pretty much in the middle. What's even more confusing is the Redline PW is shorter than the SCOR 45. At least my misses with the 45 are consistent. Will be much easier to find a fix.

That is strange Griff...particularly since the Redline PW is 44 deg.

Test Date: 09/27/2011
Testing Club: SCORGolf 45, 50, 55, 60 Deg – Shaft: Genius 12 (KBS Tour 120) – Stiff Steel
My Club: TaylorMade R11 PW (45) and AW (50) - Shaft: KBS Tour 90 – Stiff Steel and TaylorMade xFT 54 and 58 deg – Shaft: KBS Hi-Rev – Wedge Flex Steel
Ball Used: Range Balls (Rocks)
Environment: Grass - Variety of Thickness

Tried to get out last week, but rain killed those plans...anyway back to the range today with the SCOR Wedges, and hopefully out for nine holes on Thursday. Based on the comfort of the first few range sessions, I have removed the four wedges I had been playing (the two R11s and the two xFTs) and am just going to work on getting more comfortable with the SCORs and focus less on direct comparisons.

45, 55, and 60 deg SCOR Wedges

Set out at lunch with the SCOR Wedges off of the real grass today. The rain we've had has softened up the group a bit and provided at least tufts of grass to hit off of. The SCOR Sisters and I set off for a very unorganized session where I would just see what new thoughts I could gather while trying to mix things up with the shot idea and lie categories. I hit 10-15 balls with the 45 deg, hit a few shots with the R11 9 iron so that I could confirm my thinking on the question of trajectory, then hit the remaining 30 or so balls with the 55 and 60 deg. The 50 deg SCOR Sister got left in the bag today unintentionally, but she will still be mad, and I'll have to make it up to her next time.

Turf Interaction - Because two of my three range sessions before today were off the mats, I had not had many thoughts on how these interacted with the ground, particularly with the V-Sole. As a preface, I am the epitomy of the term "digger". The range asks me to come out and hit balls whenever they need to lay some french drains or sprinkler lines since I am cheaper that renting a trench cutter. What really impressed me today was how well these clubs could mitigate my bad swings. I would hit behind a ball, and it wouldn't dig in the way that I have previously seen. Sure, I lost distance, but didn't lose as much as I would typically see with a blade wedge. Conversely, a 60 degree was being swung by your's truely which meant a bladed shot or two. Even on these, the ball seemed to at least come on to the clubface a touch, because the distance wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting. I thought of it like, over the back of the green distance, not into the trees and dropping distance. Now, with both extremes covered, I felt like there was a loft of forgiveness in these clubs with how that sole interacts with the bad swings I can put on the ball. We'll find out for sure as these get out to the course, but if that carries over, that is pure strokes saved.

Trajectory - After reading MDs comments and Shawn's reply this weekend, I tried to focus a bit on the trajectory I was seeing on a shot with the SCORs (with the Genius 12 shaft) and my R11 9-Iron that has the KBS Tour 90 shaft. In my comparison, the Genius 12 provided a good bit lower trajectory than the KBS Tour 90. Neither was "too high" or "too low", but even on the crispest shots with the SCORs, I was certainly seeing a lower apex to the ball flight. From my earlier tests, there was no notable distance difference between the SCOR 45 and the R11 PW (or other corresponding pairs), so I'll wait until I get out on the course to determine if there is any accuracy/roll-out discrepancy caused by the lower trajectory.

Lie Differences - I tried to hit some shots out of thicker lies, thinner lies, and what on the range looked like a standard lie. Again, being a digger, I typically struggle with making crisp contact off of thinner lies. The SCORs really impressed me here. The few shots I hit were a little lower trajectory than standard, but distance was still about the same. The thicker lie is where I want to evaluate a bit better. For all the positives of these not being as "bladey" as normal forged wedges, my first thought was that the SCOR wedges did not cut through the taller grass quite as well as a normal wedge. The direction was still spot on, so this was not an issue with the hosel grabbing or anything. Again, just mainly a thought I want to explore more later.

Sorry folks, I have to cut this short...they actually need me to work today apparently. I'll revisit this later this evening and see if I have anything more to add.

Nice update Ad!!!! I'm really, really intrigued by these because I'm a digger too.

Great write up One T. Loved how you highlighted the shots that stuck out. Sounds to me like that 9i might be taking a seat...

Griff, thanks for the pic's man!

I really think these are so good looking, good to know they hold up like the Eidolon's do.

I do wish they would do raw finished SCOR's....yum!

Nice update Ad!!!! I'm really, really intrigued by these because I'm a digger too.

Great write up One T. Loved how you highlighted the shots that stuck out. Sounds to me like that 9i might be taking a seat...

not yet...there is still some testing to be done

not yet...there is still some testing to be done

Of course One T... But it just sounds like the SCOR is more versatile and almost as forgiving... Sounds like a winner dude.

I know you've put this out there, but I'm still stuck on the cost.

That is strange Griff...particularly since the Redline PW is 44 deg.

Yeah, Redline PW 35.75", SCOR 45 36". Only a quarter inch so not sure it is a big deal.

Griff, thanks for the pic's man!

I really think these are so good looking, good to know they hold up like the Eidolon's do.

I do wish they would do raw finished SCOR's....yum!

Thanks Jman. Look even better all in a row in the bag!

Grinder

Thanks for coming to hang out with us. It's a great site, run by incredible people!

Just caught up on this thread and there have been some great write ups. It is nice to see that these are working out for the testers. Great pics of the wear, as well. I am really enjoying this testing, you guys are doing a great job.

Based on my interactions with them and what I've seen out of the wedges in 2 range visits I'd be hard pressed to order anything other than a Scor/Eidolon in the future.

Based on my interactions with them and what I've seen out of the wedges in 2 range visits I'd be hard pressed to order anything other than a Scor/Eidolon in the future.

Thx Jeff. Stay tuned as I have a feeling we have lots more to say

Maiuvst, I can safely say everyone should give SCORs a serious look even if to only fill a hole or two in the bag. I am already thinking about buying a set with finer tuned lofts.

Those were some excellent pics, griff. Interesting wear patterns between the different clubs.

Spent the night night at the range last night working primarily on greenside bunker shots. To be perfectly blunt, I am lousy out of the sand.

I pulled a muscle in my back at work so warming up was a bit more of a task than usual. But after about a third of a large bucket I went to the beach. After raking it up to give myself some consistent lies, I drew a line and placed 10 balls about an inch-and-a-half in front of it. I worked my way towards the balls just trying to hit the line. Once I got to the balls I was making good (for me) swings. The pin is about 15-20 yards from the bunker and elevated about 2' - 3' above my feet. We have been getting nightly rain showers for over a week, so the sand is pretty heavy. Using the 55 I opened the blade and all of the first ten would have made it out of the sand but that's about the only positive I came away from it with.

For the next round of ten, I opened the blade a bit more, and opened my stance until the leading edge of the club was perpendicular to the target line. My results were better this go round. I got one to nestle up to about 3 feet, had 3 run about 6-8' past, caught one thin, and had only five fatties that barely made it out. Again I got all of them out, and this time I was able to start feeling the bounce of the club as it made it's way through the sand.

Several rounds later, as I started to get a feel for the club getting through the sand, I was making more confident swings with better acceleration through the ball. In my best 10 ball round I put 5 right up near the stick. I had another 3 get out past the flag further than I would want. I hit only one fat, and picked one clean.

I mentioned all of the rounds above only as a way of letting you all know how horrid my sand game is/was. I still have a ton of work to do but I'm getting there. I can't say for sure that my technique is correct, but I was able to start getting the club to work through the sand after making adjustments to how open I had the blade and my stance. Initially I did not have the blade opened far enough and the primary bounce was grabbing the damp sand and sucking the life out of the swing. As I made adjustments to utilize the tool more appropriately I saw better results. Once I was fully engaging the secondary bounce I was hitting 40-50% where I wanted them, 20-30% were out but long leaving the last 20-30% as just bad shots.

After working on greenside shots I spent the last ten balls of the night hitting full swing fairway bunker shots out to 110 with the 45. It's another shot that I have never practiced, but one that I may start playing with more regularly as a means to work on ball striking. The 45, last night, was nearly perfect. Out of ten balls, I hit all of them straight at the target catching the last heavy and losing 30 yards of distance. The sound at impact was phenomenal, and the balls landing down range were stopping dead in their tracks. With this shot, in this sand, I had to ensure I made ball first contact and then allow the club to work through the sand. To say I was impressed with how the club came through is understating it. Even on the fat swing the club came through the muck without hurting me (physically).

The V-Sole, as I have said before, is not magic. The player has to learn how to utilize it correctly. The club does not do the work for you. This is the first time I have ever really practiced in the sand, so it's difficult to speak intelligently to the clubs performance. I am very happy with how we both did learning how to hit out of the sand for a first go round.

Back