JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What made you first try hybrids?

being able to stick a green in two on average size par 5's... I was either low and hot with a fairway wood or I didn't have enough juice with an iron.

Haven't tried one yet. That's why I'm planning on winning the Nickent 4DX!

Easier to hit than a 3 wood... more distance than a 3 iron.

grogger, they'll seriously change your game

par 5's, long par 3's, off the tee on short par 4's

I hit my 17 degree hyrbid about 10 yards shorter than my three wood but much more control compared to the longer three wood (plus I am short)

I have one but don't know when I'll get to try it out.

grogger, they'll seriously change your game

That's what people tell me, I just haven't had the opportunity. I hit my 3 wood about 230, my 5 wood about 210, and my 4 iron about 185-190. I carry a 3 iron but I really only use it when I need to hit a long, VERY low (6 feet off the ground) shot out of trouble.

If they are easier to hit then my woods, I guess I could see a replacement in there. Guess I won't know until I try.

That's what people tell me, I just haven't had the opportunity. I hit my 3 wood about 230, my 5 wood about 210, and my 4 iron about 185-190. I carry a 3 iron but I really only use it when I need to hit a long, VERY low (6 feet off the ground) shot out of trouble.

If they are easier to hit then my woods, I guess I could see a replacement in there. Guess I won't know until I try.

I carry my three wood about 250 but I struggle keeping the ball away from the left side of the course. The club has a softer shaft so I tend to see a draw and the extra distance. My 17 degree Sonartec, which is much more of a driving hybrid, carries about 230 consistently with a cut but is low. I have hit other hybrids that launch higher but lose distance.

I would say Sonartec may make one of the best hyrbids on the market, but unfortunately they have been out of business for about a year. The MD is a serious club but takes some work for it to launch.

• Admin
You are right DD, Sonartec did make one heck of a hybrid. Its a shame that they are gone.

I wasn't a massive fan of the HB01 ... now that they are gone, I'd have to say Nickent makes the best hybrid, Adams Pro Ideas are pretty close though

I built my first one 4-5 years ago, after reading an article. I played it until this year when I bought new clubs.

I was at a Taylormade Demo Day, trying alot of their drivers for fun at my local club. I then decided to try a hybrid as I had never before.

Needless to say, I had alot of trouble hitting it. I really didn't like the feel at all, but I am going to give it another go this summer and try one out.

The new titleist 909H is very easy to hit. I made the change and threw a hybrid in the bag about 3 months ago. I found it is easy to work to the point where the 1 club allowed me to take the 2 and 3 iron out of my bag. I swore I would never play one and try them all and When you find the right one you will love it. It is the best move I have made in my bag in a number of years.

You seem to hit the Nickent 5DX pretty well in that video.

I was told all the cool kids were doing it.

In all seriousness, I was told a lot of pros used them esp on the female front since they're supposed to be easy to hit. I was sold, even though the info was wrong, irons are easier, I find.

In all seriousness, I was told a lot of pros used them esp on the female front since they're supposed to be easy to hit. I was sold, even though the info was wrong, irons are easier, I find.

It would be nice if I could try mine out before the next contest, because if I didn't like them I would opt out of this Sundays drawing.

(Yeah, that will happen!)

It would be nice if I could try mine out before the next contest, because if I didn't like them I would opt out of this Sundays drawing.

(Yeah, that will happen!)

Just send it to me. :alien2:

As for the OT I haven't tried a hybrid yet. I'm not sure when I will try one but it will be sometime before next spring. I'm getting new clubs and looking at adding a hybrid or two to the bag.

Gosh, I'm not sure if I can remember now. I think I asked for one for Christmas a few years back, but I don't even know why. Now they're my go-to clubs.

I bought an early hybrid/iron from Titleist, the 503H, about 5 years ago for 225 dollars

what a waste of money, these things have some a LONG way

Replace my 3 & 4 irons about 2 years ago with hybirds so that I could hit the fairways on tight holes and get the distance that I could never get from an iron.

Last year got my Adams Idea pro hybirds and love them haven't tired the new ones yet and I don't like to replace clubs that I'm hitting well with something new.

My brother in law gave me a steel shafted R7 dual about 4 years ago and I havent turned back since. These things are great and so easy to hit.

There was one in my k-mart starter set, the rest is history. I now carry 2, 19 & 22 Adams A3

Curiosity. Id heard so many people talking about how hybrids changed their game and about how much easier they are to hit than long irons, the I figured I owed it to myself to at least give them a shot.

Curiosity here as well. I always had trouble hitting my 3 and 4 iron unless it was off a tee for a longer Par 3, and everyone said they were much easier to hit and would be a little longer.

I have to say, now that I have my 3DX RC's, there's no way I'd go back to a normal iron. I'm even tempted to replace my 5 iron with a hybrid. It's the only iron I can't seem to hit well so far with the new set, even though the normal irons are "hybrid" irons.

I also dabbled with the first Nickent hybrid... I was working in a shop and their rep just gave us a couple of free clubs and it all started there. The Titleist was a Christmas present and I figured, Titleist = good... yup, that club didn't last long in the bag.

Back