SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

Great read MD. I too am pretty poor out of the sand, but we have very little sand here and few places to practice it. Sounds like you are making great headway.

Great read MD. I too am pretty poor out of the sand, but we have very little sand here and few places to practice it. Sounds like you are making great headway.

Thanks Duey. I blame at least half of the success last night on the club. Like I said, once I figured out how to use the bounce things started falling into place. Still a ton of work to do, and I want to work through the other clubs as well to see how they do. I feel like I will need them all at the outing.

Those were some excellent pics, griff. Interesting wear patterns between the different clubs.

I agree, a ton of great information in this thread, keep up the great work guys, I have really enjoyed reading this thread

Griff I love to see face wear pics! Matt we need to get together. Great writeup.

Griff I love to see face wear pics! Matt we need to get together. Great writeup.

Sent you a PM but your inbox is full. I go on call tonight, but I'm hoping to get in an early morning round Sunday at Wendell CC. Clean out your PM box and let me know what you think.

Griff, any thought about maybe bending that 45* SCOR back up to standard? I bet you wouldn't see near the amount of toe strikes. It's pretty odd that with that wedge you seem to be predominantly hitting in out in the mid>toe region. Then on the 60* it looks like you're predominantly in the heel region. You might want to have the lies checked.

Spent the night night at the range last night working primarily on greenside bunker shots. To be perfectly blunt, I am lousy out of the sand.

I pulled a muscle in my back at work so warming up was a bit more of a task than usual. But after about a third of a large bucket I went to the beach. After raking it up to give myself some consistent lies, I drew a line and placed 10 balls about an inch-and-a-half in front of it. I worked my way towards the balls just trying to hit the line. Once I got to the balls I was making good (for me) swings. The pin is about 15-20 yards from the bunker and elevated about 2' - 3' above my feet. We have been getting nightly rain showers for over a week, so the sand is pretty heavy. Using the 55 I opened the blade and all of the first ten would have made it out of the sand but that's about the only positive I came away from it with.

For the next round of ten, I opened the blade a bit more, and opened my stance until the leading edge of the club was perpendicular to the target line. My results were better this go round. I got one to nestle up to about 3 feet, had 3 run about 6-8' past, caught one thin, and had only five fatties that barely made it out. Again I got all of them out, and this time I was able to start feeling the bounce of the club as it made it's way through the sand.

Several rounds later, as I started to get a feel for the club getting through the sand, I was making more confident swings with better acceleration through the ball. In my best 10 ball round I put 5 right up near the stick. I had another 3 get out past the flag further than I would want. I hit only one fat, and picked one clean.

I mentioned all of the rounds above only as a way of letting you all know how horrid my sand game is/was. I still have a ton of work to do but I'm getting there. I can't say for sure that my technique is correct, but I was able to start getting the club to work through the sand after making adjustments to how open I had the blade and my stance. Initially I did not have the blade opened far enough and the primary bounce was grabbing the damp sand and sucking the life out of the swing. As I made adjustments to utilize the tool more appropriately I saw better results. Once I was fully engaging the secondary bounce I was hitting 40-50% where I wanted them, 20-30% were out but long leaving the last 20-30% as just bad shots.

After working on greenside shots I spent the last ten balls of the night hitting full swing fairway bunker shots out to 110 with the 45. It's another shot that I have never practiced, but one that I may start playing with more regularly as a means to work on ball striking. The 45, last night, was nearly perfect. Out of ten balls, I hit all of them straight at the target catching the last heavy and losing 30 yards of distance. The sound at impact was phenomenal, and the balls landing down range were stopping dead in their tracks. With this shot, in this sand, I had to ensure I made ball first contact and then allow the club to work through the sand. To say I was impressed with how the club came through is understating it. Even on the fat swing the club came through the muck without hurting me (physically).

The V-Sole, as I have said before, is not magic. The player has to learn how to utilize it correctly. The club does not do the work for you. This is the first time I have ever really practiced in the sand, so it's difficult to speak intelligently to the clubs performance. I am very happy with how we both did learning how to hit out of the sand for a first go round.

Thanks for the update MD. Fairway bunkers are a weakness of mine. Great read!

Nice writeup Matt! Not really surprising you saw better results once opening up the face and putting that v sole to work. Keep up the good work!

Griff, thanks for the face wear pics. Add me to the list that's a little suprised at the different areas of wear from club to club. I concur with TC that you may want to check the lies on your sticks.

MD, good read. I've struggled with the bunker game, but the greenside game has become progressively better. Fairway bunkers are difficult for me. Lately, I've choked down too much and now I thin most of them. It's consistency that I've struggled with. Like most anything, it's practice makes perfect and I know it will get better as it will for you.

Really like the insight you've given on the V-sole and they intrigue me. Thank you.

Hope the back thing is just a minor twinge.

Great work all. The THP test team is all over it in this thread. There is so much information that I'm struggling to digest it all but I'm seriously considering adding a 49 & 55 to my bag during the off-season. I just wish you could demo one somewhere. Keep the feedback coming and thank you.

Those were some excellent pics, griff. Interesting wear patterns between the different clubs.

Thanks guys!

Griff, any thought about maybe bending that 45* SCOR back up to standard? I bet you wouldn't see near the amount of toe strikes. It's pretty odd that with that wedge you seem to be predominantly hitting in out in the mid>toe region. Then on the 60* it looks like you're predominantly in the heel region. You might want to have the lies checked.

I do need to hit a lie board just to rule it out. Wonder if all this choking up and down is causing inconsistent striking?

Nice writeup Matt! Not really surprising you saw better results once opening up the face and putting that v sole to work. Keep up the good work!

Griff, thanks for the face wear pics. Add me to the list that's a little suprised at the different areas of wear from club to club. I concur with TC that you may want to check the lies on your sticks.

Np G4L. Just reporting the facts.

These wedges seem so freaking sweet. Cant wait for them to be offered in LH, with the money back gurantee it will definately be worth it to order some.

I have to say, info wise this has to be on of the best review threads I've followed .. thanks testers, keep it up

tapatalk addict....

Thanks guys!

I do need to hit a lie board just to rule it out. Wonder if all this choking up and down is causing inconsistent striking?

Np G4L. Just reporting the facts.

I wouldnt think that would be the case

Great write up md and great pictures Griff! I will be interested to see your results of hitting off the lie board. Do you plan on taking pictures of the lie board marks? I think that would be interesting to correlate with the wear pictures.

It could be possible if you haven't done it before. Sometimes choking up or down can results in one needs to move closer/farther from the ball to get the right angle and not jam yourself up. If you're equadistant from the ball all the time it could be enough to change the strike location a bit. I agree with getting the lies checked just to be sure.

On another note, I've found an interesting thing with spin and contact with these wedges out of the rough. I took a distancey ball, a spinny ball and then hit shots with a MX200 GW, Pro combo PW, SCOR 47 and xFT 50 and tried to see the differences in stop power vs running out. For the record, the MX200 GW is also 50 loft, the distance ball was a Nike Vapour and the spinny ball was a Bridgestone B330 RXS. All shots were hit from the same lies, 3 shots with each club on each ball. Not a large enough sample group for my liking but even still, the results where interesting.

As expected (for me), the MX200 GW had the most run out with either ball despite having 3 degrees more loft then the NPC and S47. Contact through the rough to the ball was spotty and the sole/head had issues getting in and out cleanly. Not a giant suprise since the GW is much more iron then wedge and the double grind on the sole doesn't come into play when the ball isn't on the fairway or first cut.
The xFT produced slighty better results then the MX. The additional bounce helped getting to the ball nicely but you could see the club get a little stuck when it was coming through and the spin was greatly reduced if there was any grass between the ball and the face. For the fun of it I tried to come in really steep and the bounce level (09) wasn't able to handle it.
In terms of the NPC, the xfx grooves lived up to their billing more or less. The spinny ball clearly spun a lot more then with the M or X even with the same amount of grass between the face. The extra grooves got a got latching on to other parts of the ball and did their job. The bounce is the same as the X though, so diggers could have issues with getting in and out.
With the S47 what happened was essentially the reverse of the NPC. Like the X, the lesser amount of grooves clearly didn't like have grass between the face and the ball. There was still spin but certainly less. In exchange, the sole bull dozed it's self through the grass to get full contact on the ball and came straight out. I might have put a touch more gusto on the shot, but I don't believe that to be the case. The extra head weight really plowed into the rough and got to the ball with, more or less, the same amount of energy that it came in with. This caused the ball to pop up and out with some impressive vigour. The high amount of bounce also meant that the full face of the club was presented to the ball for full contact.

I found the S47 and the NPC to have more performance out of the rough then the other two but for different reasons. The NPC was better at getting the ball up with more spin and stopping power. It was easy to get a stop or a hop and stop. The S47 came out lower and a bit hotter but with impressive distance control. Unless I was trying to flop the ball, run out was certainly there but the distance consistency with each ball was impressive. I found it much spinnier then the M and equally as spinny as the X. The leg up over the X was the contact was much more consistent and thus so was the distance.

Again, I'd like to do this again with multiple people using 3 or 4 balls and 8 or 10 clubs but I seem to have trouble rounding up people to be my guinea pigs. Something about a mad scientist laugh seems to put people off...

That was an interesting read ST...good stuff.

MD, good read. I've struggled with the bunker game, but the greenside game has become progressively better. Fairway bunkers are difficult for me. Lately, I've choked down too much and now I thin most of them. It's consistency that I've struggled with. Like most anything, it's practice makes perfect and I know it will get better as it will for you.

Really like the insight you've given on the V-sole and they intrigue me. Thank you.

Hope the back thing is just a minor twinge.

Thanks Biggsy, and everyone else. I still have a lot of work to do in the sand but I felt last night like I made some headway. I am taking short game classes, so when we get to this subject I will be paying eager attention.
I cannot say enough positive things about the V-Sole. I have yet to come across a situation that it cannot handle. My swing, and abilities may not be there but the club is. I play a lot of practice rounds, so when I find myslef in a wierd situation lie-wise, I'll play an extra shot or two if I duff the first.

The back thing is nothing. I'm powerwashing the breezeways of 15 buildings at work and it's just starting to fatigue me a tad. I like pain it lets m know I'm alive.

griff,
I'm curious if the inconsistency is showing itself through the rest of your irons or just the SCORs? It could be the choking up/down, causing the inconsistency... Maybe try just full length, full swings for a range session? I've played with folks that never choked down on a club so it's foreign to them and plays havoc with their swing. Don't know if it's something you've done in the past or not, just throwing a thought at you.

Tuna,
Come on down to Raleigh. I know we can put together a good sized group and if we get One-T to come over we could have three sets of clubs under test at the same time. WE could knock it out in short order and have a blast at the same time.

Nice write ups all - interesting about the spin and distance control differences ST - good info!

Hey guys, not doing a big multiquote. I went downstairs and checked out my Redlines. Bulk of the wear is right in the middle, the 6I has some scuffs out toward the toe. I really think the choking up and down (and not properly adjusting my stance), experimenting with different shot types I don't normally play (flops mainly, shanks into trees), and some bad strokes are what is causing the inconsistent wear. The only one that has me puzzled is the 45 that shows little to no wear in the middle of the face. Really going to try and correct that after I verify the lies on these. I will try to get before/after pics.

Good stuff MD! I am playing xFTs and I like these wedges, but I am not in love with them. I feel the spin is lacking on both full shots and chips/pitch shots. You guys are going to be bad for my wallet :D

Good stuff MD! I am playing xFTs and I like these wedges, but I am not in love with them. I feel the spin is lacking on both full shots and chips/pitch shots. You guys are going to be bad for my wallet :D

Thanks Teeth. They are great wedges/irons. Some day I hope to incorporate spin into my game and be able to control it. For right now I just have to concentrate on hitting good shots in the direction I want.

It could be possible if you haven't done it before. Sometimes choking up or down can results in one needs to move closer/farther from the ball to get the right angle and not jam yourself up. If you're equadistant from the ball all the time it could be enough to change the strike location a bit. I agree with getting the lies checked just to be sure.

On another note, I've found an interesting thing with spin and contact with these wedges out of the rough. I took a distancey ball, a spinny ball and then hit shots with a MX200 GW, Pro combo PW, SCOR 47 and xFT 50 and tried to see the differences in stop power vs running out. For the record, the MX200 GW is also 50 loft, the distance ball was a Nike Vapour and the spinny ball was a Bridgestone B330 RXS. All shots were hit from the same lies, 3 shots with each club on each ball. Not a large enough sample group for my liking but even still, the results where interesting.

As expected (for me), the MX200 GW had the most run out with either ball despite having 3 degrees more loft then the NPC and S47. Contact through the rough to the ball was spotty and the sole/head had issues getting in and out cleanly. Not a giant suprise since the GW is much more iron then wedge and the double grind on the sole doesn't come into play when the ball isn't on the fairway or first cut.
The xFT produced slighty better results then the MX. The additional bounce helped getting to the ball nicely but you could see the club get a little stuck when it was coming through and the spin was greatly reduced if there was any grass between the ball and the face. For the fun of it I tried to come in really steep and the bounce level (09) wasn't able to handle it.
In terms of the NPC, the xfx grooves lived up to their billing more or less. The spinny ball clearly spun a lot more then with the M or X even with the same amount of grass between the face. The extra grooves got a got latching on to other parts of the ball and did their job. The bounce is the same as the X though, so diggers could have issues with getting in and out.
With the S47 what happened was essentially the reverse of the NPC. Like the X, the lesser amount of grooves clearly didn't like have grass between the face and the ball. There was still spin but certainly less. In exchange, the sole bull dozed it's self through the grass to get full contact on the ball and came straight out. I might have put a touch more gusto on the shot, but I don't believe that to be the case. The extra head weight really plowed into the rough and got to the ball with, more or less, the same amount of energy that it came in with. This caused the ball to pop up and out with some impressive vigour. The high amount of bounce also meant that the full face of the club was presented to the ball for full contact.

I found the S47 and the NPC to have more performance out of the rough then the other two but for different reasons. The NPC was better at getting the ball up with more spin and stopping power. It was easy to get a stop or a hop and stop. The S47 came out lower and a bit hotter but with impressive distance control. Unless I was trying to flop the ball, run out was certainly there but the distance consistency with each ball was impressive. I found it much spinnier then the M and equally as spinny as the X. The leg up over the X was the contact was much more consistent and thus so was the distance.

Again, I'd like to do this again with multiple people using 3 or 4 balls and 8 or 10 clubs but I seem to have trouble rounding up people to be my guinea pigs. Something about a mad scientist laugh seems to put people off...

Great Job ST...you guys are gonna make me order these things....I'm wonder since I am only an hour away from the factory if I can go see them being put together....NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL!

The reviews have been top notch so far. Keep up the good work. The reviews have peaked my interest in these wedges and the vsole. Looking forward to more reviews.

Test Date: 09/29/2011
Testing Club: SCORGolf 45, 50, 55, 60 Deg – Shaft: Genius 12 (KBS Tour 120) – Stiff Steel
My Club: TaylorMade R11 PW (45) and AW (50) - Shaft: KBS Tour 90 – Stiff Steel and TaylorMade xFT 54 and 58 deg – Shaft: KBS Hi-Rev – Wedge Flex Steel
Ball Used: Bridgestone B330-RXS
Environment: Grass, Sandy/Aerated Greens

Out on the course for the first time with the SCOR Wedges yesterday. Even though it was technically a work outing (semi-competitive) round, I pulled out a SCOR Wedge whenever I could so that I could try some different shots...even when I would have normally played a different shot to score better. Instead of going hole-by-hole, I think I'm going to group thoughts by club today.

45 deg SCOR Wedges

Ok, I know I mention the size of this thing in every post, and I will do so here only to say the following...didn't notice it today on the course when I wasn't directly alternating between the SCOR and the R11 or between SCOR Wedges. I had two full swings with the 45 deg on the course today, and they were the best iron/wedge shots of the day regardless of club. Both shots were playing 110ish to the center, and both shots probably went 115 dead on line. Nice high trajectory and landed soft and were within a couple of yards of their pitch marks, even with the sanded/aerated greens. I also grabbed the 45 out of the bag on a longish chip from short of the green, which I thinned a bit and knocked 30 feet past the hole.

50 deg SCOR Wedges

I only had two shots with the 50 deg today, and unfortunately they were back to back. I tried to play a low, running pitch from 10 yards short of a green and thinned it over the green (seeing a trend here) and since I had the 50 in my hand already, I played the follow-up chip from the other side of the green with it to a much better result.

55 deg and 60 deg SCOR Wedges

Since my range doesn't have any sort of short game area of note, I haven't practiced chipping with these as much as I need to, so still not sure when I get around the green if I want to hit the 55 or 60 deg. I tried it both ways yesterday to mixed results. I had a thicker lie to a shorter pin and tried the 60, which I promptly chunked barely onto the green. I did follow up an attempted full 55 (that I hit fat) with a nice 40 yard pitch with the same 55 deg. Next couple chips with the 55 were better, but definintely an area I need to practice more with and get more course time with.

Random Thought

For the course, I don't care for the iron headcovers that accompanied the clubs. Need to take a metallic sharpie to them to write a loft number on them so that I can find the wedge I want easier.

Overall Thoughts

Today was the first day on a course in six weeks...and it showed. It didn't matter what equipment I had out there, I would have been flubbing some shots, and again, I was hitting some of these in situations I normally wouldn't have. The SCOR Wedges are not a miracle drug but they are a very nice over-the-counter pain reliever. One area that I had not gotten to explore much was the spin these generate. I was very impressed, even on the poor green conditions. I was leaving pitch marks even on a 40 foot chip, and there were a couple that I caught a groove or so too low, and they just hit, bounced, and stopped. I am not a high spin wedge player, so I think these are quite spinny compared every wedge I've ever had in my bag. When I get back out to the range, I need to keep working with these on finesse shots, but after a layoff, the results were decent enough. On full shots, which I have been practicing more since these arrived, I was very pleased going two for three on GIRs (the bane of my existance normally) where the lies on two of the three were less than ideal.

Back