TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

I'd like to see you two get your swing speeds checked and compared. You guys have different action and swings but you both take healthy cuts at the ball. My point is I think you mat be surprised, IMO

Kongfrontation

im sure we could make a day of it and hit up somewhere that has a monitor.

Nice job Buck......I hate that course when they aerate because you don't know what's dirt and waht's goose poop.

Glad you had some success this morning because you were pounding the ball last night with the R11's

Nice job Buck......I hate that course when they aerate because you don't know what's dirt and waht's goose poop.

Glad you had some success this morning because you were pounding the ball last night with the R11's

lmao i didn't even hit into any aerated greens. i just skipped them kinda sucks i didnt get a full round in i wonder if i could have shot even par. oh well im prob gonna take a couple days off im pretty sore from all this golf.

I wanted to take a moment and touch on some of the not so great shots I hit with the R11s yesterday. I tried not to make yesterdays review to long. So I wanted to add my thoughts on my misses.
I make no excuses for a bad shot. I know better and I know how to correct. Yesterday was no different, I hit some wicked pulls and two pushes.
The pulls were my attempt at working the right to left when a fade was the shot needed. I don't know my obsession with hitting a draw with these irons but it's there and I have to either learn or change my mindset. This particular pull was 30' left of my target. The contact was solid, the club turned over and off she went.
Another pull was not as bad but again it was me trying to work it right to left.
My two pushes were were not as solid as I lost distance and direction. These were caused by busy hands trying to catch up with my swing. I knew it the minute the ball left the club. If I'm not playing in a scramble these two shots would have cost me a few shots.
I'm sharing this to show the responsiveness you get from these clubs good or bad. Though I feel these are great performers they are not a magic stick. The good shots 'are better than most' and the bad can be head shakers. The good news is that each swing will tell you something useful to work on next time out.

It is nice having the good and bad feel Tadashi. As soon as I pull the ball I can tell as soon as it leaves the face of the club. I strive to feel that perfect shot though. It almost helps me concentrate more on it. I'm interested in seeing how your draw works out in the long run. It's something I've never been able to do especially with coming outside in with my swing but my fade is less apparent with these clubs so maybe it's the same with a draw. I'm not that good yet to work the ball both ways. Trying to get my swing path better during the transition soon with my lessons. Hoping after that I might be able to draw the ball finally. But it's good to see your thoughts on it. It's something I def hope to achieve within the next year.

I don't need the draw to be my go to shot but it is required a few times each round. The grips will be built up tonight and I hope to put the clubs on the swing monitor at EW after I land. I want to see my numbers.

Thank all of you reviewers. I am immensely enjoying your thoughts and on course info. I've got to say this mantra, "I must NOT try to talk to my wife about new clubs."....Repeat, repeat, repeat

Good luck tomorrow WR. Let us know your thoughts buddy.

I apologize it took me this long to get back and share some thoughts. The fact of the matter is my round on Sunday was less that stellar and it did not provide me enough good opportunities to hit the r11s and get enough feedback to create any kind of opinions. I have not for the last 3 days gone to the range during the day and from those experiences I will say I like what I am seeing with these irons. I get a nice high ball flight and the clubs are just easy to swing and feel great when I do. I do find a slight pull on several shots but that could be from me oversewing and not really used to the clubs yet. I look forward to getting out to the course once or twice this week and getting better feedback.

hahahaha. You OEM'd a set of R11's? Nice!
Indeed. 5-AW with KBS 90's. Could take a while for them to show up though. Thanks for your insights fellas, truly a wealth of info in this thread.

Glad the reviews are helping.

R11 4i Review:
Date: 10/11/11
Course: Pendleton GC Range
Weather: 70* and calm

I put in a great range session Tuesday evening really working on the longer irons. I don't find the longer irons hard to hit, but definitely needed some fine tuning. The 4i in particular has been provided somewhat of a mixed bag in the results department. I typically hit the strike the ball well, but ballflight doesn't seem to be constant. Sometimes I will hit it extremely high and sometimes I will hit it a lot lower. I'm not thinning it, but the flight would fall in the low category. I really worked on ball position and trying to stabilize my lower body. I found that a ball position just ahead of center in my stance is what works best for me. I hit probably 30+ balls on the range with the 4i and when I had the swing grooving my trajectory was fairly steady. I was seeing a ballflight fairly high, but not ballooning.

Here is a vid of 3 swings once I felt like I had the setup down. The second swing was a good example of what not to do and to prove that the hosel is not forgiving...
[YOUTUBE]gz_uhfEJU1M[/YOUTUBE]

This range is one of the nicer ones in the area and has multiple greens to aim to. My target was to the pin which I estimated to be 198 yards away. I didn't have my laser, but walking off the pin legend, 198 is close. The first shot was a decent shot that was just short of my target. The second was LOL. The third was a great shot and landed right next to pin and took a small bounce. I've become extremely comfortable with the R11 irons and find all of them relatively easy to hit. I used to struggle with 4 and 5 irons, but that is slowly changing. The R11's are very forgiving and feel so soft at impact. I actually just bought a 3 iron to go with the set, so I look forward to adding that the long iron mix. I have very little experience with a 3 iron, but think it could be a great club if it's as easy to hit as the 4 iron. More to come soon...

My daughter hit an R11 6i today into the net at Golfsmith. She liked it.

Kevin

Couple of nice cuts Dirty, the 4 and 5 are most inconsitant in the bunch but coming around nicely.
R11 4i Review:
Date: 10/11/11
Course: Pendleton GC Range
Weather: 70* and calm

I put in a great range session Tuesday evening really working on the longer irons. I don't find the longer irons hard to hit, but definitely needed some fine tuning. The 4i in particular has been provided somewhat of a mixed bag in the results department. I typically hit the strike the ball well, but ballflight doesn't seem to be constant. Sometimes I will hit it extremely high and sometimes I will hit it a lot lower. I'm not thinning it, but the flight would fall in the low category. I really worked on ball position and trying to stabilize my lower body. I found that a ball position just ahead of center in my stance is what works best for me. I hit probably 30+ balls on the range with the 4i and when I had the swing grooving my trajectory was fairly steady. I was seeing a ballflight fairly high, but not ballooning.

Here is a vid of 3 swings once I felt like I had the setup down. The second swing was a good example of what not to do and to prove that the hosel is not forgiving...
[YOUTUBE]gz_uhfEJU1M[/YOUTUBE]

This range is one of the nicer ones in the area and has multiple greens to aim to. My target was to the pin which I estimated to be 198 yards away. I didn't have my laser, but walking off the pin legend, 198 is close. The first shot was a decent shot that was just short of my target. The second was LOL. The third was a great shot and landed right next to pin and took a small bounce. I've become extremely comfortable with the R11 irons and find all of them relatively easy to hit. I used to struggle with 4 and 5 irons, but that is slowly changing. The R11's are very forgiving and feel so soft at impact. I actually just bought a 3 iron to go with the set, so I look forward to adding that the long iron mix. I have very little experience with a 3 iron, but think it could be a great club if it's as easy to hit as the 4 iron. More to come soon...

Couple of nice cuts Dirty, the 4 and 5 are most inconsitant in the bunch but coming around nicely.

Thanks Freddie. I agree, but think/hope I may have figured them out. They are both way easier to hit compared to my old irons though (TaylorMade Tour Burners).

Great video and write up DD. I am very happy with the consistency with the 4 iron. I have always moved my 4-2 irons up in my stance just a bit. Interested in seeing how you make out with the 3 iron.

DJ, Nice write up buddy. One thing that stood out to me a lot was this line:

I typically hit the strike the ball well, but ballflight doesn't seem to be constant. Sometimes I will hit it extremely high and sometimes I will hit it a lot lower.

I feel almost exactly the same way so far with the same irons. What I really want to reiterate though is that the 3 & 4 irons aren't all that difficult to hit, and they do offer a nice level of forgiveness. However, what I'm finding is that when you hit either of those irons on the button, that's when I see a nice mid-high ball flight. When I don't necessarily hit it on the button, that's when I see a low-mid ball flight. I can't tell what the distance differences are between the two shots but I don't imagine they are far off.

I also agree that it's not a "thinning" of the golf ball, it's just not struck perfectly in the center of the club face or something. That being said, I find the long irons to be tight in dispersion and a nice option to have in my golf bag.

Really good thoughts DJ, thanks for sharing them.

DJ, Nice write up buddy. One thing that stood out to me a lot was this line:

I typically hit the strike the ball well, but ballflight doesn't seem to be constant. Sometimes I will hit it extremely high and sometimes I will hit it a lot lower.

I feel almost exactly the same way so far with the same irons. What I really want to reiterate though is that the 3 & 4 irons aren't all that difficult to hit, and they do offer a nice level of forgiveness. However, what I'm finding is that when you hit either of those irons on the button, that's when I see a nice mid-high ball flight. When I don't necessarily hit it on the button, that's when I see a low-mid ball flight. I can't tell what the distance differences are between the two shots but I don't imagine they are far off.

I also agree that it's not a "thinning" of the golf ball, it's just not struck perfectly in the center of the club face or something. That being said, I find the long irons to be tight in dispersion and a nice option to have in my golf bag.

Really good thoughts DJ, thanks for sharing them.

Thanks TC. we definitely share similar thoughts on the long irons. I've noticed that when I put a somewhat decent swing on it the ball goes straight and doesn't feel harsh. This isn't a statement I could make with my old irons. I am very impressed with these irons. I think I may break out the old set and compare them to the R11's.

John Deere Tappin...

Wish I could see that video. DJ has a sweet swing. Love the long iron talk. I'm sort of infatuated with them right now.

I'm still working with the 4 iron but so far I've been super impressed with how easy it is to hit. I've had very good results with it off the tee but mixed results from fairway and rough. I'm going to attribute that to needing less rain and more range time.

Having that 4 iron to hit off the tee is a really nice option though. It's something I really want to better with and even make it a go to shot for a sure fairway.

~Don't drink and tapatalk~

Great review DD, I love seeing your swing. I love the 5 iron and up, but the 4 iron and I did not get along, to the point where it is no longer in my bag. I don't think this is a reflection on the R11 4 iron though, I just prefer to carry a 4 hybrid. I will be playing with these today and will have more thoughts later, but the reviewers in this thread have done a great job.

I'm still working with the 4 iron but so far I've been super impressed with how easy it is to hit. I've had very good results with it off the tee but mixed results from fairway and rough. I'm going to attribute that to needing less rain and more range time.

Having that 4 iron to hit off the tee is a really nice option though. It's something I really want to better with and even make it a go to shot for a sure fairway.

I honestly don't use the 3/4 off the fairway a whole lot Kmac, and if I do, it's usually for a layup shot or a punch shot, which doesn't always necessarily mean a full swing. I find them highly beneficial off the tee though, and that's where they shine. I just think that sometimes it's best to use an iron for its strengths and not trying to force it to be something else all together.

i agree with the 4 iron off the tee Kev... my go to off the tee has been my hybrid for years now if my driver was going astray or if i would over drive a fairway. but now i have no worries about it cause i know even if i don't wanna hit my hybrid i have the club thats gonna find the fairway. theres a couple holes ive played where i have to play an iron on and i can't wait to see that ball flight baby fade right into the fairway! The times i have used it off the tee just to see how i hit it im almost positive ive hit the fairway every time.

With the guys who have seen the different ball flight... are you keeping the ball in the same position in your stance or is it just where you are hitting it on the face of the club? i havn't really noticed this when i had ideal conditions.... but interested in seeing if i have the same issue.... hopefully this rain i've had for a few days lets up so i can at least hit the range later.

I've been hitting my 4i off the tee quite a bit. I seem to find the fairway with it pretty easily. This is one reason I just bought the 3i. I hope its as easy to hit as the 4i and I think it could be a great fairway finding club on tighter par 4's.

John Deere Tappin...

i agree with the 4 iron off the tee Kev... my go to off the tee has been my hybrid for years now if my driver was going astray or if i would over drive a fairway. but now i have no worries about it cause i know even if i don't wanna hit my hybrid i have the club thats gonna find the fairway. theres a couple holes ive played where i have to play an iron on and i can't wait to see that ball flight baby fade right into the fairway! The times i have used it off the tee just to see how i hit it im almost positive ive hit the fairway every time.

With the guys who have seen the different ball flight... are you keeping the ball in the same position in your stance or is it just where you are hitting it on the face of the club? i havn't really noticed this when i had ideal conditions.... but interested in seeing if i have the same issue.... hopefully this rain i've had for a few days lets up so i can at least hit the range later.

I would like to think that my ball position is consistent with the longer irons bucky, but who knows. It could have something to do with that but I'm not certain that's what it is. Like I said, I still see a straight ball, but the ball flight can be significantly lower, especially with the 3iron.

I would like to think that my ball position is consistent with the longer irons bucky, but who knows. It could have something to do with that but I'm not certain that's what it is. Like I said, I still see a straight ball, but the ball flight can be significantly lower, especially with the 3iron.

yeah im gonna have to hit my 4 iron a bunch of times next time and see if i have this problem i want to see if i can get my longer irons dispersion closer like i did with my scoring irons by working on it more anyway. i was seeing some success with my 6 iron the other day but the rain and work has put that on hold ...as for the ball position i try to move my ball up in my stance with my longer irons. not a lot but def forward from where i normally would hit any other iron or wedge. i don't even know why anymore besides its something i did long ago when i used to slice a lot to straighten my ball flight and i've kept it ever since. im pretty sure it was one of those self fixes that has stuck with me. lol

Back