TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

See when I went out it wasnt 4 iron and 9 iron every hole or even 4 iron and 6 iron, the holes were so long I was having to hit 4 iron 4 iron all day for long par 4's.

If that is the case I would move up a set so that the variety of irons is expanded. It would get old hit 4irons all day off the tee and into the greens. You'd get good with the 4i but some variety would be nice

See when I went out it wasnt 4 iron and 9 iron every hole or even 4 iron and 6 iron, the holes were so long I was having to hit 4 iron 4 iron all day for long par 4's.
So if you are going to be taking 3 shots to reach the green anyway, only allow yourself to hit the 4 iron only one time per hole. Then do a combination of other irons the rest of the way. It may be a 5 iron-8 iron, it might be a 6 iron-7 iron combo.

If that is the case I would move up a set so that the variety of irons is expanded. It would get old hit 4irons all day off the tee and into the greens. You'd get good with the 4i but some variety would be nice
See above. Keep playing the same course unless you have to move up a tee for carry purposes.

So why don't you hit 4 iron-6 iron-8 iron then? Or even 6 iron-8 iron-4 iron? I mix it up when I am playing without woods. And you could avoid the 4 iron completely if you go 5 iron-6 iron-7 iron. Or whatever.

EDIT: White Rhino already covered this!

Yes I did.. pay attention man!! :stickbeat:

Exactly!! I had noticed I had a patten over time on the golf course of hitting driver, then either M3 or M5, then either wedge for 100 or so yard shot or pitch shot ( for par 4s). By mixing things up and teeing off with a 7 iron on a par 5 or something like that, I was able to hit a lot of different clubs throughout the round and it was kinda fun. I really was not playing that round to keep score so it did not matter what I shot per hole. I was there just to practice my iron shots and learn about shots that I had not gotten to hit before cause I was too regimented in hitting driver on every hole then the hybrid cause that was my "comfy" club. If I am going to get better as a golfer I need to be comfortable with all my clubs in my bag and be confident in hitting them at anytime on the course.

hey 10 yard quick question when you are hitting off the toe are they still going where you aim and just short or are they going offline and short?

hey 10 yard quick question when you are hitting off the toe are they still going where you aim and just short or are they going offline and short?

mostly online and just short, way short I may add. I could miss way out on the toe with my old irons and not loose much distance at all but I am finding with these you have to hit the sweet spot to get any distance at all

mostly online and just short, way short I may add. I could miss way out on the toe with my old irons and not loose much distance at all but I am finding with these you have to hit the sweet spot to get any distance at all

yeah me too. its about 10 yards short when i mis hit it but its still online so im not having trouble scrambling and stuff when i do screw up a shot.

I can understand being frustrated with mis-hits especially if they cost you shots. I also know that hitting new irons flush is important, it will happen provided they are setup properly 10yard. And from your range session it sounds like they are.

But think about this, your misses are straight and 10 yards short. As long as the pin aint up front, these misses should still be on the green. That says a lot about the R11s and the level of forgiveness provided.

I dont recall it being spoken about in this thread and if it has already I apologize for bring it up again. Is every using the factory grips or have you changed to a different grip? I am pondering the VDR grips in red, I think they would look real nice with these clubs

I can understand being frustrated with mis-hits especially if they cost you shots. I also know that hitting new irons flush is important, it will happen provided they are setup properly 10yard. And from your range session it sounds like they are.

But think about this, your misses are straight and 10 yards short. As long as the pin aint up front, these misses should still be on the green. That says a lot about the R11s and the level of forgiveness provided.

I love they are online but them being on the green inst happening lol, We have a lot of front and center positions so I am coming up 10 yards short of the green and sometimes when the pin is in back Im coming up almost 15-20 yards short since its not even making it to the green. I still think it might be the cool temps, IMO the ball is going to travel quite a bit less when its 50* and under than when its 75*+. How far I am not sure but I bet its 5-10 yards at least. I know I am being picky since I have hit them pretty good for being new its just when the ball looks great in the air and going right at it only to fall short and it just shocks ya lol.

I dont recall it being spoken about in this thread and if it has already I apologize for bring it up again. Is every using the factory grips or have you changed to a different grip? I am pondering the VDR grips in red, I think they would look real nice with these clubs

I put Golf Pride New Decade Multicompounds on all my clubs so I am putting the Red/Black Midsize ones on over winter

I have a few accounts up that way but we are there every March for the Hi-Neighbor Volleyball tournament. It used to be so big that they hosted a golf outing for the players wanting to arrive a day earlier but those days have past. We've played Broadmoor a few years but last year we went a little further south to Etowah Valley??? I think...They gave me a room, St. Patty's dinner and a round for like $99...Never played Reems Creek but I'll put it on the radar.

Yes sir. I live in North Asheville. But I head to Fletcher to play at Broadmoor. I don't know why I like that course so much. I also like Reems Creek in the north side of town but the range at Broadmoor rocks.

We'll be back down in Orlando in December. We usually take my boss and a few friends each year to cure the Winter blues. I've played shingle creek a few times but never any of the other courses you mentioned. Last year Championsgate did us right and we were able to play Faldo's Bella Collina a little north of Orlando. Pretty cool tract for Central FL. Lots of elevation changes. Only other courses I've played down there are Celebration and Reunion. Could you recomend a gem for this year's pilgramage? Coulda used thes R11's at Reunion...

Set that is a great story. Thanks for sharing and joining the R11 revolution. You are correct there is no honeymoon period with these irons. They just become part of you and your game. Enjoy AZ and stay out of the desert

Guys lets make sure we keep this to the testing and reviews and anything pertaining to the irons.
We have quite a few threads on Orlando Golf including the amazing THP Golf Outing & Demo Day 2012.

i am still using the tour velvets... i wasn't thrilled with them at first but they have grown on me.... but i think the VDR would look nice on them.

After a round with THP'er BigK29, we were fortunate enough to find Demo Day at Wildcat Golf Course, Houston, Texas. All the major OEMs were there with reps. I wandered to the TaylorMade tent and grabbed the R11 with a KBS Tour 90 shaft to see for myself the difference between the steel and graphite. While I like the graphite shafts, I must say, those bad boys (KBS) were awesome. I was able to swing at the ball at my regular swing speeds and killed them.

I know it was only 15 or so cuts with the club, but they felt just a smooth as my "tempo" swing I've been using with the graphite. Everything else with the club felt exactly the same. I could tell no difference what so ever with contact, as I assumed I wouldn't. I like both shafts and I'm still happy with the graphite, but Hawk asked me a while back if I'd go with the graphite if I had it to do over and after today, I'll say I'd lose plenty of sleep while determining which ones now. I would probably say that with the results I saw today (15 cuts mind you)...I'd be leaning towards the steel.

White Rhino: Still using stock grips.

i am still using the tour velvets... i wasn't thrilled with them at first but they have grown on me.... but i think the VDR would look nice on them.

I have white vdr's on my R11's and they work great but lets me honest, most grips look and work pretty well on almost any club.

I have white vdr's on my R11's and they work great but lets me honest, most grips look and work pretty well on almost any club.
Well then stop bringing up those VDR's then! You've got it in my head that I NEED those! Thanks CB...now you got me cbreezing again.

I started to hate the VDRs. They did not feel substantial enough for me. I put Tour Wraps on CBs. I like them much better.

Well then stop bringing up those VDR's then! You've got it in my head that I NEED those! Thanks CB...now you got me cbreezing again.

I started to hate the VDRs. They did not feel substantial enough for me. I put Tour Wraps on CBs. I like them much better.

I didn't bring them up, but you know you want them, do it...DO IT!

Esox you are just a beast and no grip can contain you.

As for the R11's I'm still hitting them great, but I haven't been playing a lot lately and spending a lot more time at the range working on some swing things. I will have some more thoughts soon, but right now I am concentrating more on my swing than what club is in my hands.

I didn't bring them up, but you know you want them, do it...DO IT!

Esox you are just a beast and no grip can contain you.

As for the R11's I'm still hitting them great, but I haven't been playing a lot lately and spending a lot more time at the range working on some swing things. I will have some more thoughts soon, but right now I am concentrating more on my swing than what club is in my hands.

Keep working on your swing and maybe some day you can be a beast, too.

Kevin

I still have the stock grips. I'm cheap. I'll use them until they need replacing. I'm red/green color blind but I'm probably going to put the red vdr's on next. I imagine it would look nice.

Back