SCOR System Review - Forum Testing

TO those of you whos miss is on the toe...

It would appear from reading the thread that the typical non-sweet spot shot with these clubs is on the toe. I have noticed the same trend with my 36" 46 degree Scor wedge. Although the toe shots are still very acceptable they tend to land to the right of the target. My issue is that I am not yet convinced that this is a result of club length.

Can any of you that have been hitting out on the toe discuss what you have found to tighten up the shot pattern around the sweet spot. Also, would you consider the sweet spot to be just a bit closer to the toe than the heel?

Last edited:
Example of this was this past Saturday. I was in the light rough 43 yards from the pin. Had a bunker to carry and 20-25 of green to work with after that. I've left all my pitches short all year it seems and I was determined not to do it this time. Lie wasn't a big deal at all, not for the V sole anyway. Took a moderate swing with the 55 and had it going right at the flag. Too bad it went over the flag as well. Wound up 15-18 feet past the hole and 2 putted. I believe I left a small divot, but it was hard to tell, green was a little banged up. Good was I cleared my obstacle, bad...not real bad, was that I wasn't terribly precise with the shot.

As I spend more time with each SCOR I am learning that each club seems to have it's own character. Performance across the board has been fantastic for all the lofts. I am really getting attached to these clubs and the 55 was a good place for me to start. I'll have more on the individual clubs as time progresses and some round recaps, other testing formats later. All the testers have said this. These won't cure a bad stroke, but they sure as heck help.

And that's why the short game is so personal. Faced with the shot you describe there Griff I wouldn't have touched my 55 with a 10ft pole. I either would have gone right for the flag with the 59 or done a low, spinny pitchy with the 51 (where I try to trap the ball against the turf with a violent and steep downswing and then not follow through after contact).

I also really like the comment about each of the clubs having their own character. I do enjoy how versatile they are in how you can manipulate them but I am finding I perfer a certain club for a certain shot over others.

Good to see you're having success with the full swing and this club. That's a shot I never take. Not sure why it's that way, but it sounds like its been a positive thing for your game.

Keep in mind with these that you don't have to take a full shot if it's nothing something one is use to as it's fairly easy to mechanically change you shot to fit the result you want. For example where I might take a full 59 shot to get X distance I can move down to the 55, choke up an inch, take a half swing and get the same number. It's something I really like about the SCOR's as I could want to hit the shot 64 yards for example but I want that to be a low shot under the tree branch, I can hit that distance with the 47, 51, 55 or 59 at a different swing level and grip level. Since it's a under a branch shot I'm looking at the 47/51/55. If I have to carry a bunker, out goes the 47. If I need a run out, out goes the 55 (or I deloft it but that's another discussion).

Full shots make the mechanical process or hitting a yardage easier but there's certainly ways around it while still being mechanical. There's also nothing stopping someone from staying a feel player with them either.

Thanks for the explanation. This is something I've been working hard on lately. It's so easy to get hooked on distance to the pin and the truth is that hitting the green is really the thing that is more important.

I still think the $2 I spent on a hoolahoop to shoot at might be one of my best golf investments yet. The pin doesn't have to be the only target.

It would appear from reading the thread that the typical non-sweet spot shot with these clubs is on the toe. I have noticed the same trend with my 36" 46 degree Scor wedge. Although the toe shots are still very acceptable they tend to land to the right of the target. My issue is that I am not yet convinced that this is a result of to much club length. Have any of you reduced your club length and notice a tighter pattern around the sweet spot?

It's not quite the same as your question as I haven't cut down the shaft length (and won't) but I have noticed that the further I grip down the more likely I am to move the impact towards the heel. Now that's not really a truism because it only happens when I don't pay attention to my setup. Choking up or down requires a chance in stance distance which for me, is the biggest decider of where on the face I hit the ball.

It would appear from reading the thread that the typical non-sweet spot shot with these clubs is on the toe. I have noticed the same trend with my 36" 46 degree Scor wedge. Although the toe shots are still very acceptable they tend to land to the right of the target. My issue is that I am not yet convinced that this is a result of club length.

Can any of you that have been hitting out on the toe discuss what you have found to tighten up the shot pattern around the sweet spot. Also, would you consider the sweet spot to be just a bit closer to the toe than the heel?

I miss with most of my clubs towards the toe, so I know I have a swing flaw that I have to work through. To tighten the dispersion I have found taking partial back swings with accelerating through swings has helped me greatly. I don't have a great hip turn on the through swing, so when I focus on accelerating, I make a much better swing and the result is better face contact, and much tighter shot patterns.

I will do my best to answer this and have it make sense:

lie isnt my biggest factor. For me I focus on distance. Rarely will I just get the distance to center. I like getting the distance to the front and the back. I typically will take the club that if I PURE will not be enough to go over the green. so...160 yards to the back. I will hit my 9 iron 99% of the time. I know that I wont be hitting it 160 and even then I wont get 10 yards of roll. So, I know that if I strike the ball in the right direction then I will be dancing. If the pin is in the front of the green and it is reading 130 to the front. I will hit a PW because I know I would have to chunk it to not make 130. More than likely I will be on the middle of the green. Its very very rare that I get the distance to the flag. My ball striking is not good enough to do that. Now, my examples didnt account for weather...but you get the idea.

When in rough...depending on thickness...I take the club that pured would get me to the back of the green. Thats really all I think about. Obviously a flyer causes me some troubles though.

As far as the SCORs and which one I swing there. I take the club that I can take the full swing and make the green. When I say full, I am saying about 85%. Its not all I have but I am surely not holding back. thats how I determine 85%. When I do this I find that the direction of the ball is typically pretty spot on, it lands soft, and most times I am putting. If I have to choke down to the bottom of the grip, I will do so in order to keep the same swing tempo.

Thanks for that One-T. That is a thought process that I can/should/will incorporate into my game. I'm one of those idiots that get distance to the flag even though I don't have the game to shoot directly at it. I used to get the distance to the flag and pull a club based on pured distance. Having put in the work with the SCOR clubs, I have narrowed down my average distances much better, so now I can pull a club confidently and 'not' have to kill it to get there. I love the 85% thought process, for providing more accuracy.

If I'm a bit off center I really don't feel anything different. The sound could be slightly diffetent, not much unless I am way out there. I've pretty much determined the toe shots are swing flaws on my end.

My newer test set is shortened by one quarter inch based on shawn's recommendation. This has straightened my shots out even more (i was hitting a tiny bit left). Not hitting on the toe any more than before. If anything I am more centered.

My best results are when I totally trust the shot and stay with plan. If I decelerate to control distance or use ky hands too much I start to miss low and on the toe.

OK, I was out-sniped on the first set of SCORs to show up on eBay last night. Which one of you is the culprit? :arrogant:

I know this is tongue in cheek funny stuff. Not a tester in this thread has their testing set for sale on Ebay. I appreciate your feedback in this thread, John, but this one kinda misses the mark.

Weather is turning in my favor this week so I plan to have lots more to share. Now is the time of year to savor every shot if you live where I live.

I know this is tongue in cheek funny stuff. Not a tester in this thread has their testing set for sale on Ebay. I appreciate your feedback in this thread, John, but this one kinda misses the mark.

Griff, I was not implying that any of you guys were selling your testing set on eBay. I was just saying that I lost out on an eBay auction for a 52 and 57 SCOR, which I believe were the very first SCORs to arrive on eBay. I just thought it would be interesting if it was one of you guys that out bid me. I apologize if that is inappropriate for some reason. :)

Griff, I was not implying that any of you guys were selling your testing set on eBay. I was just saying that I lost out on an eBay auction for a 52 and 57 SCOR, which I believe were the very first SCORs to arrive on eBay. I just thought it would be interesting if it was one of you guys that out bid me. I apologize if that is inappropriate for some reason. :)

Nah, not inappropriate. That's how I read your post. Keep your eyes open for them, or maybe order straight from the source.

If you order directly from SCOR, they will spend quality time making sure they set you up with the appropriate lie's, lengths, degree gaps and shafts.

You may spend a bit more, but they will be custom built for you.

Ah, I see John. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

Tomorrow will be a busy day with the SCORs. Looking forward to having some vids with the new set.

Good luck out there today, griff.

Not tomorrow but on Saturday mine are going to get quite the workout as well. We're into the playoffs for my golf league on Saturday and playing a tricky and densely tree lined course. The driver and even a fairway isn't an option on a lot of holes so there's going to be a lot of hybrid then SCOR's to the green for me. Should be good fun as long as my hybrids stay straight. I'm expecting the hoolahoop traget practice with the SCOR's to really pay off (seriously, 3 tiered greens that slope down to a pond? That's just mean).

In the meantime I'm giving some serious thought to regripping my irons with the SCOR grips to keep a consistent feel in my hands all the way through.

Good luck to you guys who are going to be taking these out this weekend, it sounds like there are a few tourneys going on. I hope to see some SCOR domination!

Turned out to be a beautiful day. Will get back out tomorrow as well. Know I am supposed to be objective and all, but I was in awe today. Had one stinker on the 1st hole. Aside from that....just wow. Will post up later with details.

Good luck, Tuna!

Griff, I'm glad it was nice out there. I was thinking you might get stuck in some nasty weather today. Looking forward to hearing your update.

Temperature was in the 60s today, light breeze from the south. Used the B330 RX. Course was really busy as this was probably the nicest day we will have until next year. Not many videos today as things were pretty backed up on the course. Great course for the short game as all the holes are iron/hybrid tee shot then the SCORs.

SCOR 43

The 43 doesn't really have a designation in my bag. It's not my 9I, it's not my PW. My lasered distances have been mid 120s which is exactly what I was looking for to fill in behind my 9I. Well, I gotta say this club is fast becoming one of my favorites. It is dead straight, forgiving, spinny, and the ball flight is absolute perfection. Starts out nice and low for this loft, much lower than my 9I of 40*. Based on what I saw today it could be even lower than my 6I. It's a very aggressive flight. I believe the 43 is much more iron like than wedge like.

Here's some shots I had with it today. I did have a shanksta with it on one hole, that's on me as I was trying to be cute.

120 yards to the pin from the FW, I dropped a ball to this specific distance. Pin short sided on the right. Aimed for the middle of the green and hit it very well. Ball had nice carry, stuck the back part of the green and sucked back about 6 feet. I estimate the total distance was in the mid 120s.

123 yards to pin on a par 3. I moved to the forward tees to get this distance. Really went after it as I was in to the wind. No need to as the trajectory kept the ball under the treeline behind the green. I have to make that adjustment on my irons as they get up above those trees. Well struck ball that appeared to leak a tiny bit left. Couldn't find the ball when I got to the green as it was covered in leaves. Began to look around the left part of the fringe/rough area and I saw the ball about 25 feet past the pin under a leaf. Couldn't find a divot but the ball was filthy so I know I left one somewhere.

One thing I am loving about the 43 is it responds like an iron and not a wedge. When I want to hit it a little farther it actually goes a little farther instead of higher. It's a really fun club to hit and I can't wait to spend more time testing it's limits.

SCOR 47

I find the performance of the 47 to be very close to the 45. Lasered distances have been low to mid 110s, solid gapping with the 43 of 10 yards or so. Ball flight is much more wedge like, starts out higher but never balloons. Since I only had 1 shot with the 47 I can't say much other than it is V Sole equipped and just as spinny as the rest of the SCORs

Had a 61 yard chip with some trees that could have come into play if I went with a full 58 or easy 55. Opted for the 47 and put it back in my stance a little. Wasn't trying to knock it down. Took an aggressive half swing at it, hit it a little thin and on the toe. Ball came off quite low and wound up a couple yards short of the green. It managed to roll onto the green and I was left with 10-12 feet. Good miss with the 47.

SCOR 51

Another club I am warming up to. I've been chipping with the 51 a lot lately. I may go back to the 55 for chips, time will tell. Where I find the 51 to be beneficial is those 80-100 tweener shots. 80 yards is about all I can comfortably get out of the 55. Yes I've hit some farther than that, but when I swing for the fences with the higher lofted SCORs I lose a little accuracy. Anyway, the 51 has a tough job in my bag. It's the bridge between my 100 yard + shots and the 55 SCOR. I can't carry a club for every 10 yard increment below 100, that's not feasible.

Here's one with the 51.

The ball wound up about 20 feet past the hole. Pretty sure the wind added some carry to that shot. Green was very hard as you can see the big bounce I got. Luckily I got enough spin on it to keep things under control.

I had multiple chips with the 51 of varying degrees of success. Little too much roll out, totally fixable with practice. I think the 55 has spoiled me around the greens.

SCOR 58

Just what the doctor ordered to replace the 60. I can tell I will get a lot of mileage on the 58. Full shots have been very consistent in flight and distance. Pitches and short sided chips, piece of cake. No sand as of yet. I haven't lasered any distances with the 58 yet, but I did drop down 3 balls in the FW and fired away to see if I would get wildly varying distances. So far so good. They weren't on top of each other, but the total carry of the shots was within 5 yards of each other.

30 yards to pin from light rough. Didn't need the 58 as I had plenty of green to work with. Made sure I didn't decelerate and trusted myself. Ball landed 3 feet left of the pin and 10 feet short. Ball rolled out and cozied up next to the cup.

60 yards to the pin, I manufactured this distance from the FW. Went at it with a nice easy full swing. Pin was right center of green and I could tell this shot was all over it. Ball plopped down a foot behind the cup and plugged right there. Figures I stuck that one and the video wasn't rolling.

I am noticing a trend with these lofts. I'm no longer reaching for the distances I need to cover. Almost all of my shots as of late have been hole high or past the hole. This is great for me because it's much easier to back off a shot rather than step on it looking for those few extra yards. Much of this has to do with how I grew up playing the game. For most of my golfing life I've used 9 irons that have 42-43 degrees of loft and PWs that have 47-48 degrees of loft. It's a comfort thing for me and I can see why my short game has struggled over the last few years. The jacked up lofts of today's irons made if tough for me to dial in a wedge set. SCORs are really helping me get back to what I know.

LOL at 'shanksta'

That was a huge bounce for a wedge shot, but I know exactly what that's like right now. It adds a lot of difficulty when going for the green. It's sort of ironic that your previous set was designed around an iron set that I played, but your current set is almost exactly what I'm playing right now. I'm much like you in that I'd always rather take off yards than try to add them.

Excellent information as always, griff.

Nice feedback griff. Interesting stuff. I'm glad the SCOR system is working out for you.

I'm actually thinking about getting a pair of the eidolon wedges. I'm intrigued by the v-sole tech and want to switch from my 52-56 setup to a 54-58. Maybe santa will be good to me.

LOL at 'shanksta'

That was a huge bounce for a wedge shot, but I know exactly what that's like right now. It adds a lot of difficulty when going for the green. It's sort of ironic that your previous set was designed around an iron set that I played, but your current set is almost exactly what I'm playing right now. I'm much like you in that I'd always rather take off yards than try to add them.

Excellent information as always, griff.

Thanks Hawk! One of the reasons I am very interested in the irons you are sporting right now. Seems like they would flow right into this SCOR setup. We both know the irons you used before the Wilson's work on a lot of levels. That I am considering a switch based on what the SCORs are doing says a lot.

Nice feedback griff. Interesting stuff. I'm glad the SCOR system is working out for you.

I'm actually thinking about getting a pair of the eidolon wedges. I'm intrigued by the v-sole tech and want to switch from my 52-56 setup to a 54-58. Maybe santa will be good to me.

Thanks Centre! I can't comment on Eidolon wedges, but if the V Sole is the same I bet you would pick up some versatility and forgiveness. Not sure what you game right now. Tons of feedback on this thread about the V Sole and all of it is positive. I'm really trying not to go overboard with an overly positive review/test, but I won't hold back because the SCORs are flat out performing.

havent played since saturday and I am having SCOR withdrawals

havent played since saturday and I am having SCOR withdrawals

Me either. I'll fix that today with at least 27, hopefully 36.

Had a super quick 9 yesterday. Put testing out of my mind and just went out and shot a round. Only had 90 minutes so I was hustling.

43 did well again. Seeing the ball flight off the 43 is very satisfying. Piercing initial flight that slowly climbs and drops down on a great angle. I have yet to have substantial run out with the 43. When it hits a green it sticks or comes back a little.

47 I am working into my game to do what it was designed to do. Pitch. This is a very traditional PW loft and I am really enjoying the little 40-50 yard pitches I have hit recently. Playing the ball underneath the hole and letting it run out has been working very well. Any SCOR has spun quite a bit on full swings for me. However, on half and 3/4 swings I have been able to control my spin quite easily. I still can't get on demand back ups, but if I want the ball to run out it hasn't been an issue.

51 is a great full shot wedge. Still dialing in chips. I may abandon chipping with the 51 or save it for indoor practice when the snow flies. Still rolling it a good ways past the hole.

55 sat this one out. Had chances to use it....opted for time with the 58.

58 rocks. I found myself short sided a couple times and the little chips I pulled off with the 58 were within a couple feet. Shot of the day came from the 58. Was about 4 feet off the green and had no more than 8 feet of green to work with. Ball was WAY down in the rough, buried. Really had no choice but to use the 58. Closed the face a tiny bit and gave it my best. Ball popped right out, landed very softly on the green, settled down and lipped right out of the cup. Was a shot could have gone nowhere or over the green.

Hope to get out this weekend. Weather may be ok!

Great write-up Griff!

Although I have had my 46 for about a month, today I was able to get off the driving range mats and onto the turf...

I will expound on the following comment on Monday...

I TOTALLY LOVE THIS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KBS + VSole = MONEY

Test date: 11-04-11
Weather: 50* cloudy, 10-15 MPH wind with gusts to 25 or so. Sprinkles of rain throughout, rain for the last 4 holes.
Ball: B330 RX pink
Course: Meadowbrook GC 9 hole course 66.5/116 from the white tees.
Final Score: 42-front 44-back 14 over par 86.

My confidence in the SCOR clubs continues to climb. As I have gone through the short game classes at my local range, I have been "forced" to spend time practicing the shots that matter. I'm still struggling some with both direction and distance but both are coming along nicely. I still don't have the ability to back a ball up, however my ball striking is getting to the point where I am stopping them very quickly and often. Because of the classes and the amount of practice time I have been putting in I have also started experimenting more with how much the club face is opened or closed. Effectively changing the bounce of the club. I mention this because, as I have said previously, the V-Sole is not magic. I still have to understand how to best utilize it for the shot that is required and then put a good swing on it. I have found I am far better off opening the club slightly on little chips and short pitches allowing the club to get under the ball more easily. My previous tendency was to keep the face in a traditionally squared position which often caused chunky fat shots that went no where. The swing is more of a sweeping stroke rather than a downward blow.

I need to work on my distance control with this little chip. The goal is to get them all more like the second video, or even better the third.
[YOUTUBE]8RV-1E6dHw4[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]hZRYq7MIl6I[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]KLAw1GDboIw[/YOUTUBE]

I spend way too many shots coming up just short of the greens to make me happy. My shot dispersion inside 100 yards is fantastic with these clubs. I'm still fighting a pull/alignment issue, but I'm winning the battle. Getting my known distances through my thick skull is most important right now. The SCOR System gives me a way to do that, I just have to make it a higher priority. I need to drop my distances off a little. I've learned that I am far more consistent when I take a 85% (power) full swing.

Lastly, I have to say I am completely sold on the 45* club at this point. Playing in the wind yesterday with my stock PW would have been a much different story. The Burner 2.0 clubs are designed to launch the ball up into the stratosphere. They're very effective at doing that. I spent a fair amount of time trying to learn how to flight the ball down with those clubs with very little success. The SCOR 45 on the other hand allows a player, even of my limited ability, to bring the ball down rather easily. In fact my natural ball flight with the club is significatly lower than with the 2.0 PW. It was something that I had noticed but never thought much about until yesterday. Shots into the wind were easily kept low by moving the ball back slightly and keeping my hands low through impact. The beauty of it is that I didn't really give up much, if any stopping power. I had a shot with the 45 from 95 yards that barely missed the flag. The pitch mark was 3 feet from the cup, and the ball came to rest 3 feet later.

I hate this thread !! LOL

I am getting new Ping G20's 6-lw and now I want SCOR wedges HAHAHHAAAAAA ain't gonna happen !

GREAT REVIEWS, write-ups, pictures and videos, Thanks you guys for putting in the time and effort in bringing us these reviews !!! AWESOME STUFF !!

Back