Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

You guys keep up the great reviews! I have more snow on the ground here and more coming this weekend. This could be a long winter if this keeps up.
That's brutal, RW. Hate to hear that.

11/2/11 - Boccieri Heavy 3 Wood
Venue: Home, home on the range
Conditions: Morning 63° with overcast and lots of dew to 72° and surprising Santa Ana winds.

As I mentioned in a previous post after some travels I couldn't make a good swing. Well the day after a massage, I got to swinging again. Nothing too strenuous, just feeding the beast that wants to improve my golf game. I don't think I took a single swing over 80-85%, I just focused on smooth tempo.

Maybe because I was all loosey-goosey after my massage the other day but wow, I found it! I agree with WE and 10yd, those 1/2 and 3/4 swings really do produce some nice results - as long as I keep my tempo in check. I wasn't crushing anything down the range but flighting the ball out there like one of those old dudes who still walk their early morning round and never seem to swing very hard. Like they are strolling the Central Park with their best girl. The BGHW was my best girl yesterday as it set me up nicely for my hybrids and short irons. My mid-long irons weren't all that smooth, but I'm sure they'll come back along.

I noticed the course was pretty empty so I decided to play since it looked like I could go out by myself. Well, I was walking over to the proshop to pay for a round when I got a call that my buddy went in for tonsil removal and sinus surgery a week early, so I spent the next 8 hours sitting in various hospital waiting room chairs keeping his wife sane. Thankfully my friend is ok however my back is no longer loosey-goosey!

More soon!

I had a 1:30pm round today at one of my favorite LA courses, Wilson, which is part of the Griffith Park courses. Over 6900 yards from the blues, lots of big wide fairways and opportunities to hit the BGHW. ...and it rains. How very very annoying.

I had a 1:30pm round today at one of my favorite LA courses, Wilson, which is part of the Griffith Park courses. Over 6900 yards from the blues, lots of big wide fairways and opportunities to hit the BGHW. ...and it rains. How very very annoying.

That sucks. It started off crappy today, but has cleared up nicely here. Going to try to hit the range after work for a while.

That sucks. It started off crappy today, but has cleared up nicely here. Going to try to hit the range after work for a while.

It rained a bit in the early morning but from 8-12 when I was overseeing some guys transferring my friend's storage unit to a moving truck, perfectly sunny, soft wispy clouds, nice brisk sea air. Golf weather tease.

Had a really good range session with the Heavy Wood today, I didnt hit a lot of balls with it because I was testing out my new irons after getting the lies fixed but the 20 or so I did hit with it were great. High and straight or a slight draw which is perfect, still LOVING this club.

The Boccieri helped me out on a few occasions today, will have a write up on my thoughts of my round with it this afternoon.

Hey guys I got out for 9 this morning and played really well (38) especially for 25-30mph winds. I have to keep this short due to me having some things to do around the house since there was a family emergency but here we go.

Shot 1- Par 4 295 Yards trees left and right and it doglegs around 200 yards out, I hit the Heavy Wood off the tee and the wind was blowing from right to left, my ball started right center and ended up on the left side of the fairway just past the dogleg so around 205 yards, the wind ate this one up distance wise but it held its line pretty well, here is that tee shot.

Shot 2- Par 3 200yards straight with trees and OB left and trees and big sand trap right, the wind was straight in my face to slightly blowing from left to right. This was the best shot of the day with the Heavy Wood, high and straight at the flag but the wind pushed it just right of the flag and this left me a 25 foot birdie putt, if the wind wasnt blowing so hard it would of been very close to the hole, my guess would be within 5 feet. Here is that tee shot.

Overall I am still loving this club, I know I sound like a broken record but I just hit it so well and hit the sweet spot so much with it. Backweighting works!!! Sorry for the short and quick writeup but I dont have the time with the family emergency. Thanks guys

Alright now that I have some time I wanted to give a little more info about todays range session before my round. Like ive said many of times I use the Heavy Wood for my warm up club on the range, its the first thing I hit and it usually gets me in a groove that transistions over to the course. I was just crushing this on the range before my round, the wind was at my back so I am not even going to mention the massive distance increase I saw on the range lol. We all want forgiveness in a club no matter which club it is, the Heavy Wood packs a TON forgiveness IMO, toe shots lose minimal distance, low on the face and high on the face lose minimal distance as well, heel shots are the only miss that I have seen cause a pretty bad result in distance loss and direction. I never hit it off the heel so I had a really hard time hitting heel shots when I was testing the forgiveness out.

I have also said I think the Aldila NVS shaft is a perfect match for the Heavy Wood head, they just go together so well and its not a bad feeling shaft at all. I have thought about picking up the 3wood to go with the 5 wood but I already have a 3 wood I hit awesome so until that changes I am going to hold off. Heavy Hybrid is on my must hit list/ponder list. To much goodness in this 5 wood for the Hybrid not to be equally as good. I have looked and looked for something to be wrong/not very good with the Heavy Wood and I cant find a darn thing, I know others dont like the headcover but I do for some reason, very easy to get on and off. Well thats the end of my rambling for now.

THP wants to thank our testers that did a thorough job here. The official testing has been completed.

great job by the testers, didnt post much in this thread but followed it. wish i could demo heavy clubs around me!

great job by the testers, didnt post much in this thread but followed it. wish i could demo heavy clubs around me!

Thanks Matty. If you get a chance to Demo the Heavy clubs, do it, you will be pleasantly surprised.

would love to just dont know where. gg has heavy putters but thats abotu it.. guess ill get my chance at the outing and demo day!

Wait, what? Closed already? The first weekend it rains in Los Angeles steals my final post. I guess I guess I'll wrap it up now! (Although I hope to get out again this week.)

First a big warm piece of sunshine and pumpkin pie to THP and Boccieri Golf for this test. I am honored to have been chosen and have done my best to present an honest and critical long term review of the product.

Before I get to my full opinion of the Boccieri Golf Heavy Wood, or the BGHW as I like to call it, I want to point out the biggest effect the club has had on my game: confidence. I have never been able to hit a wood or driver with the consistency I can find with the BGHW. Now that isn't to say that every day is great, I've had ups and downs, however, all in all, this club and the weighting system has taught me more about my swing than almost any golf lesson has.

Mr. Boccieri is onto something with the weighting system. For me, it helped with finding that "slot." I know immediately if my swing tempo is too fast, over the top, etc. While I may have always known these things with other clubs, the BGHW was the first one that helped me change it. Like 10yard, I also have gotten into the practice of warming up with the BGHW. If I can make swings anywhere near the correct tempo, I know I'll have a good round. The BGHW helps me find that elusive good tempo - for me it is much slower than I think it should be, the BGHW helps reinforce that dissonance is actual truth.

Based on conversations in the thread, I'm fairly confident that the BGHW doesn't always produce the same distance results as some other 3w's out there, however, I also believe that mishits with the BGHW are not penalized distance-wise as much either - you will find more fairways with this club. Yes, heel hits can be pretty brutal and I still get a good sting up the shaft on the wrong kind of thin shot (which also can product some interesting ball flights), but I can say that as I continue to use the BGHW, there is a good chance it becomes my go-to tee-off club. I trust that I will know where my misses will go.

Speaking of shafts (shut yo mouth!) I am a bit biased to like the Aldila NVS shaft. I always seem to like this one and admittedly, I don't really have a whole lot of experience with others. I'd love to see Boccieri Golf reach a level of success where other shafts could be in the offing. That would be killer.

To be clear, the BGHW excels both off a tee and hitting a ball off the ground. I still struggle with the "stinger" shot that some of the other testers have developed, but it is clear to me that even with all the forgiveness in the head, you can still work the ball a bit. On a rare occasion I balloon a shot, but for the most part, I get good, solid, penetrating ball flight. Lower than what I would expect and certainly acceptable.

Maybe the biggest testament to what I feel about the BGHW is that I'm seriously considering the BGHHybrid, the Heavy Wedges (although to be fair, it will take A LOT to knock Cleveland out of my bag for wedges) and maybe even the BGHDriver as well. I am a believer. I even brought my cousin out to hit it (and got him to join THP).

If you are pondering a new fairway wood, I highly recommend that you take a long hard look at the BGHW. It will definitely be worth your while.

On another note ...

I gotta be honest, I don't think I've ever had so much fun testing and writing about something in my entire life. Yes, testing the Boccieri Golf Heavy Wood did coincide with having lots of time off and recommitting to the game, but it was more than that. I really enjoyed reading the other testers' posts and the conversation with each other and members of THP following this thread. Thanks to all the testers, including tdinbr, Spaceman_spiff, mikedean411, this has been a blast. I also want to send a big shout out to war.eagle, BamBooBender, 10YardDraw, royalwuff and Hawk (not a tester, but involved). As a first timer, you guys really showed me the way. Thank you. I hope to get the pleasure of meeting any of you in person, at an event, or in another testing thread.

Best,
D_in_LA

thanks to my fellow testers for setting the bar so high, I really enjoyed my first testing experience and hope to build upon it for next time

Great job by all of you. I've really enjoyed this and I'm glad to see that some of you found success with the club. Thanks for all the hard work!

This has been a very fun testing, specifically for me. In the past I had been pretty close minded to clubs and OEMs, only wanting to look at the "Big Brands." After putting the Heavy Wood to a good workout, I come away a believer in their backweighting technology, and think that a lot of golfers could benefit from the Heavy line. Great testing here guys, and I am glad I got to be a part of this one.

What? Testing is over??

But the BGH3w just helped me get an eagle and a birdie on 2 par 5's in my round this past Saturday!! Hit the green in 2 on each with the BGH3w.

Love this club. It has replaced my old Cleveland '09 Launcher 3w in my bag for sure. If I ever run across a BG Heavy Driver, irons or hybrids I will definitely check them out as well.

Thanks once again to Boccieri Golf and THP for giving me the opportunity to be a tester with this club!! Enjoyed the experience and enjoying this club!

I want to let Boccieri and THP know how much I appreciate getting to test out this club. While it is not in my bag as a traditional 5 wood, it has replaced my hybrid, and earned a permanent spot in my bag. My fellow testers really brought their A game to the reviews and it seemed like I struggled to keep up with them. Great job guys and it was a ton of fun.

What? Testing is over??

But the BGH3w just helped me get an eagle and a birdie on 2 par 5's in my round this past Saturday!! Hit the green in 2 on each with the BGH3w.

Love this club. It has replaced my old Cleveland '09 Launcher 3w in my bag for sure. If I ever run across a BG Heavy Driver, irons or hybrids I will definitely check them out as well.

Thanks once again to Boccieri Golf and THP for giving me the opportunity to be a tester with this club!! Enjoyed the experience and enjoying this club!

Congrats on the Eagle. I have made exactly one Eagle in my life. And, the Heavy Wood was the club that helped me do it.

Congrats on the Eagle. I have made exactly one Eagle in my life. And, the Heavy Wood was the club that helped me do it.

Well this was the first eagle putt I have ever made.

My other, and only, eagle was from a chip in from off the fringe on a somewhat short par 5.

Man this testing went FAST! Thanks again to THP and Boccieri Golf for the opportunity to test this club out, it will be in my bag for a long time I think.

Man this testing went FAST! Thanks again to THP and Boccieri Golf for the opportunity to test this club out, it will be in my bag for a long time I think.

Agreed. Agreed and Agreed!

I am itching to get out and hit this, weather has not been good. I used it once over the weekend and hit a awesome shot with it which is nothing new. Even though the testing is officially over I will still be updating this thread.

I got some range time with the BGHW along with the CG Black I'm testing. I still love the BGHW. I can still hit some serious rockets. I spent a little time with another three wood (RAZR) that was longer, but didn't give me the same fairway finding straightness of the BGHW. Hopefully I'll be out Friday before the weekend rain storm comes in.

Back