TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Glad you had a good day 10 yard... between the r11s and the driver, you will be unbeatable soon

haha I doubt that last part lol. Getting better though.

That is all that matters.. keep improving and keep gaining confidence.. that is what has been happening to me.

That is all that matters.. keep improving and keep gaining confidence.. that is what has been happening to me.

Ya the confidence is getting pretty high after todays round with them. Hope they keep working well for ya WR

Thanks guys, the R11's are starting to live up to all the hype!

Nice outing with the newly adjusted sticks. Sounds like you hit them well in not so nice conditions, like tadashi said some range time get your distances down and wow. Good luck 10yard

I played on Saturday morning which was the first outing for the AW. I didn't get a chance to hit many full shots as we were on winter greens due to work being done on the greens. This meant that on most holes I was hitting pitch shots with either the AW or SW. Even from these I can see why you guys are loving the AW. I am also hitting better pitch shots with the R11 SW than my old irons which I had been struggling a bit with this year.

I had my first round with the new R11s over the weekend. I was only able to spend about 5 mins on the range before the round, so I was trying to figure them out most of the round. (Mostly distances wise) I played the first four holes as irons only. I used the 4 iron off the tee and the other shots varied to the green. I was fighting a hard draw with the 4 iron at first, but worked it out about the 3 hole. The other clubs in to the greens were a bit long for me. I think these are about a 1/2 to 3/4 of club longer than my R9 TPs.

After the 4th hole we decided to put the driver back into play. Basically because we were just hitting 4 irons most of the day. Sorta boring. Once we did that my other irons came into play a lot more. I did have some really good shots with these irons, but seemed to be slightly off with them. I just didn't feel comfortable about nailing a green with them and I felt like I was between clubs all day. I think I just need to spend some range time to get the distances down.

One thing that I really did like about them was the feel of them. They fall some where in between the R9s and the R9 TPs. I think the R9s had a bit more forgiveness to them (my swing felt a bit off, so this might be off a bit too) and they had more forgiveness than the TPs. I thought they were a very solid feeling club. You could feel on the face where the ball hit and a lot of times hit helped you out on slightly miss hits.

Both of my older R9 sets had the DG S300 shafts in them and the R11s have the KBS shaft in them. I had a hard time telling that much of a difference. I think they felt a bit lighter, but that was about it. I didn't really notice much of a difference in my ball flight or any type of ballooning. I think what all the other testers are saying about the shafts is true. They are a very solid shaft and I think it is very similar to the DG S300.

I think one of my biggest things with the R11s is distance adjustment. Since they are about a 1/2 to 3/4 longer than my older irons. I was always struggling to pick the right iron and how much to put on or take off of it. I think this will get better over time. I was telling my wife last night, that I just need to spend the next few weeks at the range dialing them in. I think once that happens, I will have the distance I wanted out of them. I can already see a lot of the similarities in accuracy that I had with the R9s. I think I a see a great future with these irons, but just have to get through the transition phase to solid shots.

well a sad day today for me lads went to play at a course thats not the best but we hadnt played it in a while so fancied a change and while we were inside paying 3 sets of clubs were taken and mine was one of them,you can see on the camera footage the black van pulls up and 2 lads jump out and just pick the 3 sets up and in the van and gone 30 seconds at the most,police have been but cant make out number plate on camera plus none of us have insurance gutted i am gutted,

I made it to Golfsmith in Indianapolis yesterday and was FINALLY able to hit the R11 irons! I must say they really lived up to all the hype that they are getting here on THP. They are definitely a gorgeous iron. I had seen them at my local shop before but they don't have a demo set so I have been waiting forever to hit them, and the first shot just felt GREAT! Now I must say that I am madly in love with my MBs, and there is nothing that quite feels like them to me right now, but the R11's definitely had a great feel to them, and what is even more amazing is that they aren't forged and they still give great feedback. Unfortunately at Golfsmith I could only hit into the nets that were about 20 yards out so I couldn't really get a feel for distances or anything like that. I am definitely going to swing these some more in the spring either at the THP Demo day or at my local demo day. I am definitely going to be recommending these to anyone I know that is looking for a new set of clubs, they are definitely a set that everyone should check out. Great feel, great looks, and not a bad price. If the performance is anything like everyone describes it out on the course then these should be near the top of everyone's wish list.

well a sad day today for me lads went to play at a course thats not the best but we hadnt played it in a while so fancied a change and while we were inside paying 3 sets of clubs were taken and mine was one of them,you can see on the camera footage the black van pulls up and 2 lads jump out and just pick the 3 sets up and in the van and gone 30 seconds at the most,police have been but cant make out number plate on camera plus none of us have insurance gutted i am gutted,

Really sorry to hear that. Hope the police catch them but from what you say it looks unlikey :bad:

Really sorry to hear that. Hope the police catch them but from what you say it looks unlikey :bad:

thanks gillesam just a bit upset with myself for not really getting them insured,but i have a set of mx200s which will have to do till after the xmas

thanks gillesam just a bit upset with myself for not really getting them insured,but i have a set of mx200s which will have to do till after the xmas

that blows, IMO the courses insurance should cover it or they should cover it, either way I would be fighting to get my clubs replaced.

Just wanted to add a couple pics of how good these look in the bag, just gorgeous!
R11iron.jpg

R11iron2.jpg

WITBR11irons.jpg

WITBR11irons2.jpg

Dde, that sucks.....Do you have homeowner's insurance? If so you are covered. By clubs were takn at a course and insurance paid the entire claim.

Dde, that sucks.....Do you have homeowner's insurance? If so you are covered. By clubs were takn at a course and insurance paid the entire claim.

I hope he does cause that is just wrong. You would think the courses insurance would cover something like that.

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 11/5/2011
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Graphite shafts Regular flex
Previous Irons-Callaway Razr X Tour
Ball Used- Bridgestone B330RX
Testing Conditions- Sunny 35*
Location- Pilgrim Oak Golf Course

This past weekend I was finally able to meet up with Bucky for a round of double R11 iron testing. We've been trying to get together ever since the R11 testing started and finally we were able to make it work. This was my first round at this course so I was excited to see something new even if the conditions were a bit chilly.

I arrived first and immediately went to the range as it was chilly, windy and Ive had very little range time lately. The golf game has been a constant, frusterating flux of a mess lately so I was eager to hit some balls and see what I was dealing with for the day. I'll give Pilgrim Oaks props for having a very nice range, chipping green and putting green. I love a complete practice facility. I was hitting most of my shots a bit thin and they were all going in this odd sort of ball flight to the right. I didnt expect much better so I took it all in stride.

Once Bucky showed up though is when things got a little more fun and interesting. He took my 8 iron and I grabbed his 8 iron for a little comparison testing of R11 steel vs graphite shafts. I was shocked at first. The steel really didnt feel that much different. Ball flight, distance and overall feel felt very very similiar. I was expecting something much different to be honest. Its not like Ive hit graphite for years and years now as this is my first set but I thought there would be a much more discernable difference. To be honest there wasnt. So the real and much more accurate test was watching Bucky crush shots. The dude does not get cheated when he hits a golf ball. He hit a few of my irons and all of them were just as good as what I saw with his steel shafted versions. He was peppering the 200 yard sign with my 4 iron. After holding both 8 irons in hand I could tell the steel was a little heavier but not by much. I sat there thinking and wondering if I had to choose between the two at a golf shop, how would I pick one? Its a very good question that Im not sure of the answer just yet. They both performed so close that if money was no issue then would it come down to looks?

The reoccuring theme every round for me is bad, short drives that leave me very long approach shots. This round was no different. We also played the blue tees which was probably not the best choice either with my current game. Funny how when I struggle off the tee either I putt and chip really well or hit great iron shots. But if the driver is on the irons arent. This round saw me hitting a ton of 4 and 5 irons from all over the course. Ive come to be quite comfortable with the 4 iron by now too. Ive hit that sucker so much I dont think Ive ever hit another 4 iron as much. I only hit a couple GIR's the whole round and one of them was a 192 yard to the stick par 3 that I hit with the 4 iron. And then my putt feel off the redge and off the green. Two putt back into the hole for a bogey LOL. Anyway, I feel like my testing has been a little void of good scoring iron testing but I'll get that changed soon enough. And with how good the long irons are I already know the scoring irons will be just as good. I came away from another round with the R11's still impressed with how easy the long irons are to hit. They really reward the good tempo'ed swing. I was also happy to hit the steel shaft brothers and not have any club envy at all. Thats not to say they arent great clubs but more about the graphite shafts being just that good.

i was also impressed with your 4 iron and 5 irons shots kevin. best thing i noticed at the range was how similar every club was my 8 iron would do the same as me hitting your 8 iron and the only thing i noticed a little bit was your 4 iron was about 10 yards short of where i hit mine normally but i wasn't swinging as hard as i normally do either. but the ball flight and my fade where almost identical between all the clubs i hit!

Pretty cool that you guys were able to do that. Thanks for posting the different viewpoints.

Hey Nate,

I will have the MC and the R11s side by side this weekend. I will make sure I hit both for you to compare. I will even get SethO to do the same for you.
Just wanted to follow-up to see if you had any luck in hitting both clubs?

tadashi70 yes i have home insurance but i thought if not in the house i wouldnt be covered,was speaking to a few of the local members and they say its happened a few times there now but none gets to hear about it in case people stop going to the course,wel this is one person who isnt going again,p.s will look into that home insurance mate and thanks for the advice

tadashi70 yes i have home insurance but i thought if not in the house i wouldnt be covered,was speaking to a few of the local members and they say its happened a few times there now but none gets to hear about it in case people stop going to the course,wel this is one person who isnt going again,p.s will look into that home insurance mate and thanks for the advice

If you filed a police report and you have a list of all contents in the bag or better receipts. You are covered. I received a check for my entire bag minus the deductible.

If you filed a police report and you have a list of all contents in the bag or better receipts. You are covered. I received a check for my entire bag minus the deductible.

thankyou will give them a try,as police were involved and can phone them for a police crime number,but will have to see what insurance say as never claimed before

TaylorMade R11 Review
Date: 11/7/2011
Ball Used: Practice Balls
Previous Clubs: Nike Ignite 3
Weather: 77*, light breeze

I got to the range tonight and decided to work on 2 clubs again. Tonight I worked on the 5i and the AW. I split the large bucket in half and proceeded to hit the AW. I started working to a flag listed at 60 yards. I was taking between 1/2 and 3/4 cuts with the AW. I made solid contact with most of the shots, occasionally hits seemed to be more thin than on the fat side. My thin shots were on target, they just flew the flag and would have cost me a come back pitch in course play. I did notice that most of my good contact was coming up right of target more than not. I grabbed some practice sticks and got my alignment and continued to work. Again, the ball stayed right of the target. I eased back to a 1/2 swing and forgot about distance and worked only on ball direction. I made different adjustments with both ball position and hand placement at contact. I spent the entire half bucket working out why I left the ball right of my target. At the end of the AW balls, I still struggled with this and will certainly need to address it more next opportunity. I'm not saying the ball sliced right, I just noted that the ball would certainly be far right on the green leaving me a long putt for sure; or a chip on a smaller green.

5i: Thank you Mr. 5i. I was a little depressed after the AW work didn't flow like I wanted it to. I took a few practice swings with the 5i to try to get what had just happened out of my mind and then proceeded to hit what would ultimately become the best strike of the night on my first attempt. Solid contact and the ball left with its usual flight, away, high, and soft landing. It was already dark and difficult to see the distance, but I had my practice sticks out and knew the ball was going the exact direction I wanted. The 5i practice went well. Again, mis-hits are more thin shots than anything (probably me trying too hard to make sure I saw the ball leave and land). From the best of what I could see, the balls were landing around 180ish which is a full 10 yards longer than my previous 5i.

My only concern with the session was: If my 60 yard AW was coming up right, and I couldn't fully see every ball come down with the 5i, I need to find more daytime range time. I realized that what looks like it may be on line, when traveled 185+ yards would possibly be even more right than the short 60 yard shots, if that makes sense. I've been trying very hard to stick these 4i and 5i shots from the fairway. I've had very, very good luck with it so far since I received these clubs, but I also haven't seen my short irons push "as right" as they did tonight. This worries me that I've "created" a bad habit somewhere. I'm certainly going to have to get back on a range in daylight and run through these clubs a bit and check, hopefully this is an isolated night.

Just got my R11 Graphite shafted irons. Will be playing them tomorrow morning. I've been playing Razr x irons and I hope to get more distance and feel. Will post results after my round.

Nice! I think you're going to like them. I don't know if they'll be longer than the Razr X's but I can almost assure you that you'll like the feel a little bit better.

I was driving home yesterday after my round (it's a little over an hour's worth of driving) and I was thinking about the R11's and this thread. It was another day where I hit 12/18 GIR's and I left quite a bit of opportunities out there. I honestly think I hit one poor shot with the R11's and that was a 6iron from about 185 for my second shot into a par 5. I caught the shot just heavy enough to hit the shot about 170 yards, dead straight into the water hazard short of the green. My par 3 GIR % is astonishing with these irons. I'm hitting around 84% of greens in reg on the par 3's and that's not something I'm accustomed to.

I was also thinking of some negatives about the irons and it's tough for me to find any. I like the stock shafts, I like the stock grips, and my statistics certainly prove that I like the results and performance. If there's just one thing I cannot stand about them it's got to be that channel on the sole of the club. I'm constantly cleaning it out. I suppose I don't have to but I just can't help it.

Honestly, the only person I would not recommend these irons to is that golfer than has to have super slim top lines, b/c that's about all that these lack. Ironically, they are sleeker than the R9 TP's, which quite a few Taylormade staffers still have in the bag. If you are looking for responsiveness, forgiveness, and more GIR's, you cannot discount these irons.

Back