Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

I've been pondering the SW and LW too...haven't seen the specs on the bounce on these yet though

I played yesterday prior to the cold weather to shoot through this region and had a pretty solid round for once. Kind of hard to believe after seeing my swing in several video's, but things worked out for my 2nd lowest 9 hole round of the year with a par 36. By this hole the temps were down below 50 with strong winds and a light mist rolling in. This hole plays pretty easy if you can hit the middle or front of the green, but as heavily sloped as it is can cause trouble if you have a long putt or chipping to the raised back portion.

[YOUTUBE]XhZuUr6wP7g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]u2Ffsrd2kfo[/YOUTUBE]

This was the following hole, #7, and after a solid drive to the middle of the fairway I deliberated a long time on which club to hit into the green. The video makes it look as if I hit the 7i way left, but the ball actually started just left of the flag and drifted right on the flag, but landed just short and hopped forward right. I thought it went all the way back, but got up there to find the ball inside 15 ft of the flag. Two putts for par. (My camera ran out of juice, so no putts to show).

[YOUTUBE]VIGWAcxdbDA[/YOUTUBE]

I am sooo happy with these clubs, just take a look at the off balance swing and you can tell how forgiving these things are, lol. The only real bad shots I had were from the driver and even then the Adams saved me. I know I'm swinging out of my shoes, but these are getting me that extra distance I need to reach the green and have a chance at par. It really makes a difference when you can reach with a high soft 7i that stops quickly, my Nickent 6i would have landed about the same spot and ran all the way across that green.

Enjoyed the videos buddy, liked the "BIRdeee" at the end of the putting video, classic. These are some forgiving clubs for sure.

Enjoyed the videos buddy, liked the "BIRdeee" at the end of the putting video, classic. These are some forgiving clubs for sure.

Haha, guess I was excited. Last couple weeks have been pretty stingy.

I found THP when Googling for as12OS reviews. I've read many of the pages and thanks to all of you, picked up my set with graphite senior flex shafts today.

I'm interested in the SW and LW but can't find them for sale individually. Does anyone know where I might be able to pick them up?

Thanks

Glad we could be of help and I agree with the sentiments of everyone above in regards to Blind 9.

Nice round DD, great vids Duey and thanks for the info Martin.

Congrats on the low round Duey! That's the one thing I love about these clubs, they keep me in play.

Testing Location: Ken McDonald Golf Course
Testing Conditions: Cool, about 80* and the course was gorgeous. Its are reseeding season and most courses are done. One picture will show how green everything was. perfect conditions except for a few mud spots :)
Testing Purpose: Play a round! Hadn't been out in about a week or so.
Ball: Taylormade Penta
Handicap: 14.6 (same after the round)

Overview:
Really fun day with the irons. I had a reversal of fortunes in that my short irons were much better directionally than my long irons and hybrids. I hit a great drive on the first hole and stuck my GW to about 10 ft. I don't know I'm horrible at guessing put length. Next time Ill laser, either way it set up a birdie. I had some shots that I wasn't expecting but hey it happens!

Short Irons:
Here is the birdie I was left with!
IMG-20111103-00098-1.jpg

I also had a PW from about 120 out. I hit it really good but longer than I thought. Had another PW on the 18th in and unfortunately I hit this one fat. Really fat. Still ended up with about a 20 yard pitch to the flag. Overall, like riding a bike with these!

Transitional Irons:
I had one shot that stuck out. A 160 yard shot to the middle of the green. Wind behind me as well. This is where I started pulling my shots. Again opposite from what I normally do. I still wasn't far off the green but I had really tough chips. I know I didn't hit the center of the face completely but still lost virtually no distance. Had I lost distance I think I would've had an easier chip but usually the misses work out well for me.

Hybrids:
I had the same over the top miss with my hybrids. I almost shudder to think what it would have been like with any other club. These hybrids are so forgiving and really help kill a big slice. I was lucky to be in bunkers with these. I could've easily been much further off target.

Performance:
The forgiveness really helped me here. Especially even being off a week, it's easy to lose rhythm and get my tempo out of whack. Alignment issues are going to be there and not really anything the clubs can do but they really help when i miss over the top. I still managed a 43 on the back 9 (which is what I played) and that was with some shots from the clubs that weren't really on line. The short irons really helped me out and I felt extremely confident over every shot.

They are sooooo forgiving aren't they TMex? Nice starting out the round with a birdie, WTG. I plan to get back out tomorrow myself, will post my thoughts then or Friday morning.

Yoccos with the first hole birdie. Nice buddy!

I got to try my set out today. My previous set was the a7 OS women's full set. I felt really tired and weak. If I didn't have the new gear to play with, I would've been home.

Everything was at least a club longer. My 9i used to be 100yds and my 7i was 125. I was hitting the 9i easy 125. Nice long high flight was really noticeable off of the first ball. I had to wrestle with the 4H and 5H but that's typical when I haven't played in a few days (since Saturday).

My thoughts: I'm almost 5'8" and I felt like the club length worked better for me than my women's set. That might be a factor in my results. Also the senior flex on these felt much different than the ladies flex - another factor. It was an easy transition since I was already playing a similar club with the a7 OS, so they hybrids felt right at home.

Along with my G20 driver, 3w and 5w, my game just got a lot longer and more accurate. I need a new sand wedge and 60º to round out my new set of clubs.

I got to try my set out today. My previous set was the a7 OS women's full set. I felt really tired and weak. If I didn't have the new gear to play with, I would've been home.

Everything was at least a club longer. My 9i used to be 100yds and my 7i was 125. I was hitting the 9i easy 125. Nice long high flight was really noticeable off of the first ball. I had to wrestle with the 4H and 5H but that's typical when I haven't played in a few days (since Saturday).

My thoughts: I'm almost 5'8" and I felt like the club length worked better for me than my women's set. That might be a factor in my results. Also the senior flex on these felt much different than the ladies flex - another factor. It was an easy transition since I was already playing a similar club with the a7 OS, so they hybrids felt right at home.

Along with my G20 driver, 3w and 5w, my game just got a lot longer and more accurate. I need a new sand wedge and 60º to round out my new set of clubs.

At your height, I would think the men's club length would fit you better. I also saw about a club length more distance when I switched from my Ping G15s to these irons as well as with the hybrid switch. I hit the 9 iron about 110 so 125 is great. I think there are a lot of women who play ladies flex who should be playing at least senior flex. I was fitted between senior flex and regular flex. My fitter ended up going senior in the irons/hybrids and regular in the woods. I'm almost 5'8" myself and the ladies clubs feel too short for me. I hope these work out really well for you!

Nice job T-Mod...always good to start off with a birdie!

Glad you had success with your new sticks gingerista...be sure to keep us updated on your progress with them.

Nice job T-Mod...always good to start off with a birdie!

Glad you had success with your new sticks gingerista...be sure to keep us updated on your progress with them.

Haha yeah I wish i could've kept it up lol.

That is a huge gain! Very cool. It will probably be even better once you're able to get out there with some more energy.

Yoccos with the first hole birdie. Nice buddy!

Thanks El Hawk! It was fun, feels great standing over a ball knowing youre gonna nail the shot.

They are sooooo forgiving aren't they TMex? Nice starting out the round with a birdie, WTG. I plan to get back out tomorrow myself, will post my thoughts then or Friday morning.

Insanely forgiving and perfect for those weeks when you just can't seem to get out as much. Ill have some thoughts from my range session last night. Half and half but it definitely wasn't the clubs.

Nice Yoc, great start out there.

Gingerista, sounds like these are fitting you well. Hope you continue seeing solid results.

Now that the temps have cooled off a bit, I've been devoting serious time to practice on the driving range. I have hit about 500 balls this week using only my wedges and irons. I am not keeping score but usually jump out onto the course for a quick nine afterwards.

Today I played 6 holes after range practice. Here's a summary of my shots with the Adams clubs today.

• 9 iron approach - great shot to front of green (flag was in back), very high and straight at pin but should have used 8 iron (was guessing yardage)
  • 5 hybrid approach - hit it too good - hit green and rolled just off back of green
  • 5 hybrid tee shot - missed to the right of green on par 3 (pin high)
  • 8 iron tee shot - almost had a hole-in-one on par 3. This shot was really high and had a slight draw that drew right in towards the flag. It hit the center of the green rolled up slightly on the bank and rolled back barely missing the hole. Tap in birdie.
  • 8 iron approach - hit dead straight to pin about 10' short of pin. Another really high shot that just stopped when it hit the green.
I'm really having a good time hitting these irons this week. It's the best I have hit them since I got them. Practice is paying off with the irons but the driver is misbehaving again. Story of my life.

Made it out for 18 yesterday, I was not hitting the ball particularly well so I decided to visit the driving range today. I hit about 80/90 balls at the range and worked only on tempo. Lots of swings with my feet together and lots of 9 to 3 swings with a 1, 2, 3 rhythm count. I hit the vast majority of my shots today with either the PW or the 7I and really enjoyed the session. Both of theses clubs were solid and fun to hit. Being as I was only thinking tempo I decide to move the ball forward a couple of inches and back a couple of inches and keep the same swing. I was able to hit the higher shot very easily from the get go, but playing the ball back took a few swings to get it going.

It was a valuable session as I got the swing much more grooved and gained some control on playing the ball higher and lower. It does take some extra work for the lower shot, but I think I will try to put in a session each week with my main objective working on trajectory. These clubs will easily get the ball up, it just takes a little work to start hitting the low shot. I like these clubs a lot and plan to put in the work to be able to call on that low shot when needed.

Now that the temps have cooled off a bit, I've been devoting serious time to practice on the driving range. I have hit about 500 balls this week using only my wedges and irons. I am not keeping score but usually jump out onto the course for a quick nine afterwards.

Today I played 6 holes after range practice. Here's a summary of my shots with the Adams clubs today.
  • 9 iron approach - great shot to front of green (flag was in back), very high and straight at pin but should have used 8 iron (was guessing yardage)
  • 5 hybrid approach - hit it too good - hit green and rolled just off back of green
  • 5 hybrid tee shot - missed to the right of green on par 3 (pin high)
  • 8 iron tee shot - almost had a hole-in-one on par 3. This shot was really high and had a slight draw that drew right in towards the flag. It hit the center of the green rolled up slightly on the bank and rolled back barely missing the hole. Tap in birdie.
  • 8 iron approach - hit dead straight to pin about 10' short of pin. Another really high shot that just stopped when it hit the green.
I'm really having a good time hitting these irons this week. It's the best I have hit them since I got them. Practice is paying off with the irons but the driver is misbehaving again. Story of my life.

Good shooting KB, keep up the good work, I know the driver will be back in favor again soon, or are you starting to eye the new Cleveland Black? :D

I have been hitting my irons VERY high lately. I love watching them get up high and land softly but I need to learn how to hit them low too. Maybe you can show me how you do that next time we play.

I haven't played since last Friday. We've had periods of cold, rain and wind. Today was the best day we've had in over two weeks and the course was packed. Couldn't get out as a walk on.

I have been hitting my irons VERY high lately. I love watching them get up high and land softly but I need to learn how to hit them low too. Maybe you can show me how you do that next time we play.

I'd love to hear anything you pick up on this.

Played 18 this morning and it was a struggle, I hurt my back early in the week helping a friend move and even though I thought it was better, after a couple of holes it really started bothering me again.

Testing Date: November 12, 2011
Clubs Tested: Adams a12 OS Hybrids/Irons Prolaunch Blue Graphite Shafts Regular Flex
Conditions: Overcast 75* Winds 15-20mph with gusts to 30 mph
Score: 46+47=93

Hybrids: When I was able to make a good swing they were flawless as usual, towards the end of the round I was really swinging slow and easy, almost like a practice swing and even though I lost about a clubs distance the ball was still nice and high and kept me in play. Because of my struggles with tee shots and loss of power today, I hit alot of hybrid shots.

Transitional Irons 7 & 8: I would have to say that I hit these better that anything today, I just went nice and easy and hit several pretty good shots with them. Shot of the round was on a 143 yard par 3, normally an 8 iron for me, but today I hit the 7 and just smoothed it out..the shot went right at the pin and almost hit it as it bounced past leaving me a 5 footer downhill that I drained for the only birdie of the day.

Scoring Irons 9-GW: I hit these fairly well today, but I was pulling everything about 10 yards left, probably because of my back.

Overall: My worst scoring round in over 6 months, I sprayed tee shots left and then right and just never felt comfortable over the ball, my lower back started hurting after the 2nd shot on the 2nd hole and just got progressively worse. I had planned on playing again tommorrow, but I'm not sure at this point.

Hope the back gets better TBT, never fun trying to play in pain.

Hate it for you with the back pain, I know it all too well. Glad the clubs are working for you though, I love these bad boys.

Hope the back gets better TBT, never fun trying to play in pain.

Yeah, it sucked...I couldn't seem to get through the ball so I either push sliced everything right or if I over compensated I was spinning out too fast and hitting huge pulls left.

I have the heating pad on it now and I took a muscle relaxer to try to get some relief. I really want to play tomorrow, but I think I need to rehab the back for a few days.

Yeah, it sucked...I couldn't seem to get through the ball so I either push sliced everything right or if I over compensated I was spinning out too fast and hitting huge pulls left.

I have the heating pad on it now and I took a muscle relaxer to try to get some relief. I really want to play tomorrow, but I think I need to rehab the back for a few days.
Mentioned to duey earlier today that cold might be better than heat. I keep ice packs in our freezer and use them often. Bio Freeze rub is good too.

Back