Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

11/13/11 – The Preserve at Tara, Bradenton, FL
65* at 1[SUP]st[/SUP] tee. Winds were off and on, at times gusting up to 20mph.

After spending some range time last week with the V2s as well as my set of Burner 2.0s, I decided to throw to sets in to the bag this weekend to get some on course comparison, carrying 5-PW of each set. My struggles with the longer irons of the V2s had gotten me a bit frustrated, at times I can hit them well, other times I don’t even come close to hitting them well, it seems that I just cant find that consistency I need with them. A few weeks back, I posted how I loved the short irons in this set, and that I wondered how a split set (like the Nike Pro-Combos) of the V2s would work out for me. I continue to hit the short irons well, but continue to struggle with the longer irons (6,5,4 irons). This poses a big problem for me, as I have been throwing up some rather large numbers on longer Par 3s (180-190 yards). In my experiences with the long irons with the V2s, I feel that a more forgiving iron will really help me out.

Thankfully the course wasn’t too crowded yesterday, and I was able to get the opportunity to hit clubs from each sets from different distances. This could get long, so bear with me here;

PW- Pretty comparable results for me here, the V2 is a 47* and the 2.0 is a 45*. I hit both of them well, and have gotten very comfortable with the V2 PW in many different situations and distances. I have to say that I prefer the V2s PW over the Burner for shorter shots, as I feel I can get the V2 up in the air quicker with a higher ball flight. The leading edge just cuts through the turf so effortlessly compared to the 2.0 PW.
Second Hole, 132 yard Par 3. This Par 3 is all carry over water, with bunkers left and right of the green. I hit the 2.0 and the V2 PW here. I pushed the V2 PW to the left, clear of the bunker, pin high. 2.0 was dead on line with the flag, about 10 yards past the hole. The push left is my common miss with the V2.

9I- Similar to the PW here, similar results, obviously the 2.0 was longer distance wise, but that is to be expected with the different lofts.

8I- The V2 8 has been probably my favorite out of this set. It is definitely my “150” club. Hit the 8 from both sets multiple times yesterday, and saw good results with both.

7I- Hole #17 is a 170 yard Par 3. It should be a fairly simple hole, but it always gives me fits. I had a wind at my back, and went with the 7iron for this hole. The thought I hit the V2 well, but it came up well short of the green. I pushed the 2.0 7iron right and landed just right of the cart path, pin high.

6I- This is where my struggles with the V2 start. The 180 yard Par 3s have been killing me lately, and this is a distance where I typically hit a 6 iron. Yesterday it was a 183 yard Par 3. I hit the V2 6iron first, and against felt as if it had the “slap” feel when I hit the ball. It had a line drive flight, and went off to the left. I hit the 6 from the 2.0 set, and hit it pure, a little past the pin for a very good try for a birdie.

5I- I didn’t have any shots on the course with the 5irons, but hit them both before my round on the range. When I first started with the V2s, I seemed to hit the 5iron well, but lately, as with the rest of the long irons, I have been struggling with it. Mostly the ball flight is a low line drive and it’s a pull left.

Overall Thoughts:
I really enjoy hitting the V2s, it’s a constant battle to find consistency, but it’s been a fun challenge. The Long irons vs the Short irons are like night and day for me right now. I find that the short irons in both sets I had in play yesterday are fairly comparable (besides distances). I was able to hit the shots I wanted with each of them, aside from a few misses here and there. The long irons from the 2.0s treated me better than those of the V2s, which is what I expected. The forgiveness in the longer 2.0s really seems to benefit me more at the moment. The GI vs GE debate is an interesting one for sure and one that has given me some conflict as well. This is how I see it; A GE iron (V2s), in the long run due to less forgiveness, could lead to me hitting my irons better and better ball striking, but a GI iron (2.0s) with more forgiveness could possibly give me better results right now.
I will be hitting the range a few times this week for some more work with the long irons, as well as hitting the short game area for some more 150 yards and in work with the 8-PW. If I could find the consistency with the long irons that I seem to have with the short irons, I would be thrilled.

Random Thoughts;
When I first got my 2.0s, I loved the looks of them, and still do, but sitting in the bag next to the V2s they don’t even compare. The V2s are just a gorgeous set of irons.

The short irons of the V2s are possibly my favorite of any irons I have ever hit. They feel great at impact, with a nice smooth feel and a solid sound. They are tough to beat.

I have always teed up short irons on Par 3s. With the V2s I find that I do not do it as much. Not sure why, but feel that I make better contact when I hit them off the deck.

A well struck long iron shot feels great, and has a nice looking ball flight, I just really struggle to find consistency with them. This isn’t a knock on the club, as I know at times with the long irons I try to muscle up or overswing to get the ball going, and it results in the miss

I had some odd stares come my way at the course when carrying 20+ clubs in my bag.

That's a really good comparison and assessment, war.eagle. Would you say your biggest issue with the long irons is getting them up in the air or is diectional?

That's a really good comparison and assessment, war.eagle. Would you say your biggest issue with the long irons is getting them up in the air or is diectional?
It's hard to say, because I am so streaky with them. At times, I will pull them left and hook them, other times I will just hit a low line drive. Honestly, I would take the low line drive as at least it goes straight and can roll out.

I wish I could describe it better, but at times when I am hitting the long irons off the tee, it feels like I am slapping at the ball. It just has an unpleasant cracking/slapping sound, and I know it's going to be a bad miss.

Nothing unusual about that dude. I think it's good that you're sharing that info.

Hawk and W.E you guys are absolutely rocking it right now with these posts. Howzat I really hope you can figure out a decent indoor option to keep on hitting these and to keep your swing going this winter. I look forward to hearing more from all of you.

I have always liked hitting long irons over a hybrid or a fairway wood, so struggling with them has been frustrating to say the least. Landing the green on the 183 yard Par 3 yesterday with a 6iron had me grinning from ear to ear. I think I even said to one of the guys I was playing with, "Man, I have missed hitting that shot."

But at the same time, I have seen some great shots with the long irons of the V2s, it's just that I am not doing it on a consistent basis.

Hawk and W.E you guys are absolutely rocking it right now with these posts. Howzat I really hope you can figure out a decent indoor option to keep on hitting these and to keep your swing going this winter. I look forward to hearing more from all of you.
Thanks P4B, I appreciate that.

I don't think it's an uncommon thing for many people. It could even boil down to just feeling more confident in a more forgiving club. I think the combo sets out there are a good indicator that many people feel similar to you.

11/15/11 - 9 Holes - Video Review

Got out today for 9 holes, and the course was absolutely empty. I took the opportunity to do some video reviews rather than my typical write up. I had a blast doing this out on the course today.

Here's another video I did out on the course today. Im calling it a Hole of the Day slash Iron Testing video;

[video=youtube_share;-DvlSCBJ2tI]http://youtu.be/-DvlSCBJ2tI[/video]

Like the video review. Seems like you are in the same boat I am as far as the results you are getting. I am in love with the short irons but struggling with the long irons. It seems to show in your swing, you look very confident hitting the second shot and not so much hitting the 180+ yard shot.

Like the video review. Seems like you are in the same boat I am as far as the results you are getting. I am in love with the short irons but struggling with the long irons. It seems to show in your swing, you look very confident hitting the second shot and not so much hitting the 180+ yard shot.
I think that has a lot to do with it, I feel very confident with the shorter irons, and not so much with the longer irons when standing over the ball.

Those were fun to watch, war.eagle. Thanks for posting and good idea!

Those were fun to watch, war.eagle. Thanks for posting and good idea!
They were fun to do, a nice change of pace from an extended write up.

Nice vids WE! I was thinking today about what I would get if I could put any equipment I wanted in my bag, and these were the first things I though of. Beat out the 588's and Cleveland Classic driver. These look amazing. I want to hit them badly. Now I will try to find a golf store that carries them in lefty...

I was able to get out for about 4 hours of golf/practice yesterday. I played 18 holes, turned around and played/practiced on another 10 holes or so. Mainly just hitting shots. The V2's were only part of what I was testing, so I didn't spend as much time analyzing them and working with them as I did in the past.

It was windy yesterday AGAIN. As in 40mph gusts and I think it was either crossing me or into my on all but 1 hole. It was frustrating to say the least and my scored suffered for it a bit - 92 again. I hit a mix of good and bad irons shots, with the bad ones being big pull hooks. Coupled with a left-right wind, these misses were never good. It's an annoying miss especially since it's usually starts with very nice contact and ball flight. It just goes too far left. That said, not an iron issue since it was happening with almost every club in the bag. Due to the wind, some of my good iron shots were thrown around and ended up in spots that weren't great as well. It was sort of a crap shoot at time as I'm sure you all know.

Still really enjoying the ball flight and spin I'm getting with the V2's. I had a number of shots that really got up in the air and stopped within a foot or two of their pitchmark. This was with a 2 piece surlyn ball, so I was pretty pleased. I had two memorable shots that really stick out. One - a 9 iron that was all over the flag and ended up 18 inches from the hole after a hop and stop. The other was about 20 feet from the flag, but it was on a par 3 that I think I've hit one time in two years. It's just a tough hole that seems to mess with me so I was happy to see I played the wind right and got the ball pin high.

Had a few mis-hits thin as well yesterday. This is probably the most forgiving miss you can get on the V2's. Trajectory suffers, but distance doesn't seem to be affected much. One thing I noticed is that I was getting some stingers from this miss early in the testing, but it's not really been an issue lately. I don't know if I'm gripping them differently or what, but I haven't had the numb fingers in a while.

At the moment, I'm only carrying 5-PW due to some other things I'm reviewing. I'm sort of missing the longer irons, but at the same time, I think I'm getting a good idea of when I should have been taking a hybrid all along. I think I'd probably consider still carrying the 4 iron, but the 3 iron is a club that I think is better replaced with the hybrid for most applications. However, I would bag it in certain conditions pretty quickly - especially the wind that we've been having.

Good writeup Hawk. The spin from these irons sound great. A hop-and-stop with a 2 piece ball is great with a 9 iron! Glad to hear you hit a good shot on the par 3 that you've struggled with! These irons sound like great clubs. I hit a bunch of thins with my irons, so I could use irons with forgiveness there. Thanks for the great reviews thus far!

Carried both the V2s and my 2.0s again today to work between the two sets for some comparisons. Got some thoughts and notes that I am going to gather together and post up here a in little while.

Played 18 very chilly holes yesterday and had a decent time with the V2's. I started good, had a rough middle, and finished well with them. The middle of the round was just one of those stretches where I struggled with my entire bag.

Had the pleasure of playing again on a windswept course where the greens were like cement. The ball actually made a pretty funny thumping sound when it hit the green. Only had one time where I had one run off the green, which was on my first hole. Other than that, I had enough height and spin to hold them, but I was seeing some roll out that made for longer putts.

I really hit some nice shots with the 7 iron yesterday. Just a coincidence of course, but my last three holes were GIR's with the 7 iron on a par 5, 3, and 4. The wind was somewhat tame yesterday 10-15mph, so I was able to actually aim within 30 yards of my target, which was nice for a change of pace.

After some consideration, I think that moving to a two hybrid set up is better for me, so I think I'll stick with it for now. I may still carry a long iron at times, but most likely I'll remove a wedge to accomodate it rather than a hybrid.

I've had a blast hitting these irons and they've really changed the way I think about irons and my iron game in general. I have to say that I may have had some bias against irons in this category prior to this testing, but I've put that to rest. It's nice to have options out there. I think this is a quality set of clubs that will make certain people very happy. They are a high quality build, great looking, well balanced, solid performers, and come with a very nice stock shaft offering. If you are shopping for something in the GE department and pass up hitting these you are really missing out.

I'm getting bummed to think that I'm going to have to take this show indoors very soon. Depending on weather, yesterday may have been my last round in the QC for the season. I will be playing over the holiday in Indiana, but after Thanksgiving is a crapshoot.

Nice updates felllas. I'm going back and rereading all you all have had on the longer irons. To get some tips and also just get a good feel for having a longer iron vs a hybrid. It looks like you're keeping you options open Hawk but sticking with the hybrid in most cases? Can't wait to watch the videos as well. Keep up the great work!

They are a high quality build, great looking, well balanced, solid performers, and come with a very nice stock shaft offering. If you are shopping for something in the GE department and pass up hitting these you are really missing out.

This is very sound info and good advice!

Nice updates felllas. I'm going back and rereading all you all have had on the longer irons. To get some tips and also just get a good feel for having a longer iron vs a hybrid. It looks like you're keeping you options open Hawk but sticking with the hybrid in most cases? Can't wait to watch the videos as well. Keep up the great work!

I think the hybrid is a more reliable option into a green from the fairway for me, but I like the longer irons off the tee. The thing about the hybrid is that they are so versatile as well. I think it's fun to have the option depending on how I'm feeling that day. Options and variety can be a little fun.

I think the hybrid is a more reliable option into a green from the fairway for me, but I like the longer irons off the tee. The thing about the hybrid is that they are so versatile as well. I think it's fun to have the option depending on how I'm feeling that day. Options and variety can be a little fun.

Sure can man, especially if you have control over them! I love reading this thread.

Just catching up a bit on this testing. Good job guys.

These sound like a very solid offering, and I see some thoughts in here which echo what we were saying over in the Pro Combo testing. The hybrid/long iron dilemma is always there. It's a tough choice which I think comes down to deciding which kind of shots you need to play. If I'm playing this length of shot mostly from the tee to a fairway, I'd probably go long iron. If I'm playing this length of shot mostly to a green, chances are I'd prefer hybrid.

Just catching up a bit on this testing. Good job guys.

These sound like a very solid offering, and I see some thoughts in here which echo what we were saying over in the Pro Combo testing. The hybrid/long iron dilemma is always there. It's a tough choice which I think comes down to deciding which kind of shots you need to play. If I'm playing this length of shot mostly from the tee to a fairway, I'd probably go long iron. If I'm playing this length of shot mostly to a green, chances are I'd prefer hybrid.

I'm sort of becoming the same way. I wonder what it is that makes the difference? I have to think that much of it is mental. Then again, tee shots are off of nice, even lies wheras shots into the green can be challenging even from the fairway.

Back