110g
0.355"
LOW-MID
KBS TOUR STEEL
S
120g
0.355"
LOW-MID

Good info Howzat. I was curious about that earlier and they are exactly the same I believe as the VR Pro Combo's. Nice to know when bouncing back and forth between the review threads and comparing notes, etc.

Interesting numbers Hawkster. Pretty wild that both irons were launching similar launch angles, even with 4* difference in loft between the two. You think that's an offset thing?

Interesting numbers Hawkster. Pretty wild that both irons were launching similar launch angles, even with 4* difference in loft between the two. You think that's an offset thing?

I was thinking that or maybe the weighting? I had a couple lower shots mixed in. The one thing I wasn't able to do was get a list of all of the shots printed off so I could analyze it a bit more. I'm going to do this again. Most likely soon since the weather is not getting better any time soon :(

I was thinking that or maybe the weighting? I had a couple lower shots mixed in. The one thing I wasn't able to do was get a list of all of the shots printed off so I could analyze it a bit more. I'm going to do this again. Most likely soon since the weather is not getting better any time soon :(

Yeah dude, I'd love to see you go in there warmed up, whack 20 balls with each, throw out the worst two and get an average. Still, the numbers you presented would completely tell me to tell you to keep those V2's in the bag. Besides maybe a little forgiveness, you're giving up nothing whatsoever. Pretty sweet.

Hawk - were those Adams numbers for earlier in the year or did you hit them side by side?
In looking over your last few videos your swing seems to be getting better and better.

Yeah dude, I'd love to see you go in there warmed up, whack 20 balls with each, throw out the worst two and get an average. Still, the numbers you presented would completely tell me to tell you to keep those V2's in the bag. Besides maybe a little forgiveness, you're giving up nothing whatsoever. Pretty sweet.

That's what the plan is to do as soon as I can. I wasn't even planning on going yesterday until I realized it was dark and rainy at 5pm haha. I have a feeling I'd be seeing some astronomical numbers (for me) with a stronger lofted set and the right shaft.

Hawk - were those Adams numbers for earlier in the year or did you hit them side by side?
In looking over your last few videos your swing seems to be getting better and better.

They were from prior to the start of the V2 testing, so it wasn't a fair comparison of each as I'd hit them today. I agree that it's my swing improving more than anything (not being snooty here, but I think it's true). I guess the thing I liked to see was that I'm at least where I was before this, so I can play the same way I did then. I think I can get more out of them, to be honest. My best shots yesterday were quite a bit higher than the averages.

I have a feeling I'd be seeing some astronomical numbers (for me) with a stronger lofted set and the right shaft.

What do you mean dude? I'm not following you on this.

What do you mean dude? I'm not following you on this.

I think I'd see that I am now hitting my old irons farther than I was prior to this testing. I was really putting it out there with them when I took them to the range. I'm going to check it out next time I'm on the monitor.

I think I'd see that I am now hitting my old irons farther than I was prior to this testing. I was really putting it out there with them when I took them to the range. I'm going to check it out next time I'm on the monitor.

Ok, gotcha. But those numbers from the Redlines were from a while ago? If so, I would expect to see them change due to the swing work you've been putting in. Still, pretty cool for you to see those kinds of similarities. I bet it make you tingle a little bit.

Ok, gotcha. But those numbers from the Redlines were from a while ago? If so, I would expect to see them change due to the swing work you've been putting in. Still, pretty cool for you to see those kinds of similarities. I bet it make you tingle a little bit.

Yep, they were from awhile ago and I think they would be higher now. I'm just glad that I'm back at level ground with distance from where I was. Next time I want to look at accuracy a bit more.

It did make me tingle dude. I was about as excited as I've ever been. Irons were my big goal for the year and I finally think I'm on track with them. I've hit 1000's of iron shots since this started and it's made a huge difference for me.

Before my round on Saturday, I was hitting a few of my 2.0s that I took the range with me. I was absolutely blasting some shots with them. My thinking here is that the extra work I have been putting in the the V2s on ball striking, translates over the 2.0s (much more forgiving), which is to be expected I guess.

Yep, they were from awhile ago and I think they would be higher now. I'm just glad that I'm back at level ground with distance from where I was. Next time I want to look at accuracy a bit more.

It did make me tingle dude. I was about as excited as I've ever been. Irons were my big goal for the year and I finally think I'm on track with them. I've hit 1000's of iron shots since this started and it's made a huge difference for me.

It was only a matter of time man. Jeez, my launch angle with a 6 iron is higher. What's the ideal launch angle? I don't have a clue.

You're going to roll heads at the MC man! I'll be right there with ya!

It was only a matter of time man. Jeez, my launch angle with a 6 iron is higher. What's the ideal launch angle? I don't have a clue.

You're going to roll heads at the MC man! I'll be right there with ya!

Thanks buddy. Woohoo! If I can figure out how to make my driver swing not spin like my 6 iron I'll be in good shape. I'm not sure on the right angle?

Thanks buddy. Woohoo! If I can figure out how to make my driver swing not spin like my 6 iron I'll be in good shape. I'm not sure on the right angle?

It's time to think outside the box with the driver dude. You've been playing with stuff with lighter weights, higher launch profiles. Let's find something that gives you around 3k rpm's of spin and a launch angle around 15*. We do that, you'll be happy.

It's time to think outside the box with the driver dude. You've been playing with stuff with lighter weights, higher launch profiles. Let's find something that gives you around 3k rpm's of spin and a launch angle around 15*. We do that, you'll be happy.

should try a nunchuk shaft hehe

Hawk, with you swing differences now I'd be interested to see how much the numbers on the Adams clubs compare to the Wilsons now. Looks like your getting enough out of the Wilsons to be more than happy, which rocks.

It's next on the list for sure.

I'll say that, right now, I wouldn't take these irons out of the bag if the testing was over. I'm 100% comfortable with where I'm at with them. I am giving up some forgiveness, but I like so many other things about them that it makes up for that. I don't hit them perfect every time, but that goes for every other club in the bag. I feel very confident with them and that's all I can ask for.

Seeing the numbers yesterday solidified my feelings. I won't be playing them for long with the things coming up, but I'm going to enjoy all the time I have with them until then.

should try a nunchuk shaft hehe

Hawk, with you swing differences now I'd be interested to see how much the numbers on the Adams clubs compare to the Wilsons now. Looks like your getting enough out of the Wilsons to be more than happy, which rocks.

I'm thinking that will happen next week since it's going to be dark early now. Thanks, ddec.

I'll say that, right now, I wouldn't take these irons out of the bag if the testing was over. I'm 100% comfortable with where I'm at with them. I am giving up some forgiveness, but I like so many other things about them that it makes up for that. I don't hit them perfect every time, but that goes for every other club in the bag. I feel very confident with them and that's all I can ask for.

Seeing the numbers yesterday solidified my feelings. I won't be playing them for long with the things coming up, but I'm going to enjoy all the time I have with them until then.

that is awesome

Hawk:

Good numbers... better numbers with the W/S. Even though the numbers are more or less identical I really like what you're doing with the W/S. Goes to show that weaker lofts isn't necessarilly detrimental. Sure the Redlines have the stronger loft and you'll get a slightly lower flight like the ball was trapped... but with more "rollout" potential on firm greens (I had no other way to word that). The weaker loft will allow for more carry, slightly higher flight but that ball will "land like a butterfly with sore feet" as my coach would say on that same firm green.

Great work!

Alex

Have a writeup on my round with the V2s today, but wanted to post up a quick thought; I really saw some great versatility out of the V2s today, from my short game practice this week I felt that from a lot of my distances I had a couple different shots I could pull off. I decided pre round that I wanted to use the V2 PW a bit more, so I was using it quite a bit from multiple distances inside 120 yards, including a lot fo greenside chips.

Great to hear that Hawk! Confidence is IMO either the most or 1 of the most important things you can have in your irons (all clubs for that matter). Really great to hear that you would keep them in the bag regardless of testing. To me, that says a ton.

11/6/11 - V2 Testing
River Club, Bradenton, FL - Full Round
61*, winds gusting up to 20 mph

Another round in the books with the V2s. I went to the course today with my prior short game practice session in mind, and decided pre-round that I wanted to be more versitile with some of the clubs in the bag, specifically the PW, as I have been hitting it great as of late from 120 yards and in. Wanted to get it some green side work, as well has some half shots when about 50 yards or so out.

I had a great round, shooting a personal best on this course of a 79. Front was 40, back was 39. Back had two doubles and a birdie. First time I have broken 80 in a few months, mostly due to my short game and ability to get up and down. Had a total of 25 putts, and that was largely due to getting myself within 10 feet for my putts with my chip shots.

PW- I really put the PW to work today. If I was inside 120-125, this was the club of choice. I had some very nice full shots with it, but the shots I was most impressed by were the greenside chips and the 50ish yard shots in to the green. Two shots I wanted to highlight with the PW;
1. Roughly 60 yards out for my 3rd shot on a Par 5. Had a monster drive and a nice 7 iron to get where I was. I choked down on the club and took a half swing, right at the flag. Bounced twice and stopped, about a foot from the hole, nothing beats a tap in birdie.
2. About 15 yards from the green, and another 15 to the pin. I closed the face a little bit on the PW and hit a great shot, right at the flag, hit it and dropped in for a Par. I was thrilled with the shot and the par save, but when adding up my back 9, realized that my PW chip in is what let me break 80 w/ the 79!

One thing that I wrote in a review when I had the V2s for a few weeks was that I was having difficulties controlling distances with the V2s. The more I have worked with them, the more comfortable I have gotten with either taking a bit off my swing or putting a little more on it, all while still making solid contact with the ball. Initially, when doing this, I was either hitting the ball fat, or topping the ball pretty bad. With the work I have put in with the irons, I feel much more comfortable with my swing that I can control my shot/swing a bit more, and pulls off a variety of shots.

A few other shots I wanted to talk about that show the versatility I was getting with the V2s, something I wouldnt have tried a month or so ago;
1. 3rd shot on a Par 4. My 2nd shot got away from me, and ended in the trees, but still had an opening to the green. 125 yards, sitting between the trees in some thick rough. I pulled the 5 iron, choked down and hit a great punch shot, running it down the fairway and up on the green, a few feet from the hole. A tap in par, from that lie? It was a great shot. Interesting enough, my playing partner said, "You got away with that one." I told him, 100% truthfully, "It's exactly what I wanted it to do."
2. Par 3, 160 yards. Wind was going right to left. Usually I would pull the 8 for this shot, but decided to hit the 7iron and just swing smooth and in tempo. Put a great swing on the ball, beautiful flight, and landed just on the back edge of the green. Swing felt nice and smooth, and felt that I wasnt trying to force my swing to get more distance, which would have been a possibility with the 8 due to the winds being weird.
3. Par 4, and a very tight fairway. Sand all on the left, and water all on the right, both leading to the green. After watching shots fly in to the water, I pulled the 7 iron from the back and hit it from the tee. Knocked it from the tee to 174 yards (measured with gps). Had right at 170 yards in to the green, so went with the 7 iron again, and left my shot on the left edge of the green. Nice chip with the PW and a 1 putt for par. Not sure if I have ever gone 7 iron from tee and 7 iron for my second shot, but it worked here.

The winds were a bit odd out there today, at times difficult to tell where they were going, but I had a great round out on the course. With the work being put in with the V2s, I am really starting to see myself become more comfortable with different types of shots with the set. I know Howzat raved about the PW from the get go, and it wasnt until this past week that I started to work with it in different situations, but I can no see what he has been talking about all this time. The loft being at 47*, really allows it to be a versatile club from a variety of spots. I really like the fact that I am comfortable hitting it from 120, but at the same time feel good with it from 30 yards.

I didnt get the opportunity for many long irons today, but did hit them on the range, pre-round. While I am hitting them off the tee better each time I go out there, I still am much more consistent with them from the turf. One shot that I have had much success with is the punch shot from the rough with a long iron. When I find myself all over the place from the tee, I at least have the confidence with getting myself out of trouble with this shot.

Short irons. Absolutely, fun clubs to hit. The ball flies off the face, and gets up high, with a nice trajectory coming down that can really help you hold the green. I have had success with these from the start, and continue to hit them well. On occasion, with my misses, I will see some distance loss, but it's much better than some of the misses I initially struggled with.

Random Thoughts-
- On occasion I still push the V2s left. I havent figured this one out yet.
- My confidence with the long irons from the tee is slowly building up. Its a work in progress.
- Even with the some new offerings from different OEMs coming out, these still are tops on the looks department.
- I love the short irons, they just work.
- When I first started gaming the V2s, I was throwing out some serious divots. With my work with them, and on ball striking, they are not nearly as large as the were a month ago.
- A review I wrote a few weeks back talked about my two biggest struggles being with chunking a shot and topping the ball. My contact with the ball is much more solid now, my typical miss is now a push left.

All in all, I am really enjoying putting the V2s through their paces. Its a big change in club style from anything I have ever gamed, and I am pleased with the progress I have made with them. I really love getting asked out on the driving range or the course, 1. What kind of clubs are they? and 2. Where can someone find out more about them. Hopefully some of those folks have made it this way and read through this thread. Will be hitting the short game practice area again this week, as well as some more work with the long irons, hoping for continued success.

Good stuff we. Glad your getting in sync with them. And I agree they do look good

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Great job war! Nice to see you're getting the contact more where you want it.

Oh, 1000 post in this thread. Boom!

--
tapatalk

Back