Future of Product Testing on THP

I hope everyone takes this to heart. Testing is a privilege, not a right, and if people keep disappearing with equipment it will no longer occur.

QFT!

For those who are doing a great job(they know who they are) keep it up. I love seeing people excel, plus I know they enjoy the job.

Testing isn't just for the testers. It's also an opportunity for the THP members to read reviews of equipment and make informed decisions on equipment they may contemplate purchasing. The reviews we read in golf magazines are very short and rather incomplete, the reviews we read on THP are from multiple testers, representing a variety of handicaps, and are in-depth. This in invaluable feedback.

Some of our last few forum testings have involved me on multiple occasions having to reach out to people to find out where they are. People going 2-3 weeks in between posts and/or vanishing altogether. I know life gets in the why a lot, and completely respect that, but if that is the case, when we contact someone about it, do the right thing and either get back to it, or return the equipment.

I know people like free things, and we love to be able to oblige, but between people getting angry that they are not selected, or multiple sets of irons, drivers, etc going missing it is becoming harder and harder to continue to do this. Im not pointing any fingers and do not want people to take it that way. The people that have been contacted, know what they have to do, but it is getting very hard to convey to companies "it was a one time thing and won't happen again".

We try to make it easy on everybody and reach out to them via PM first. We hope they respond and correct things, but if they don't, it can become an issue. People need to know that when they get contacted by us via PM, it is because we have been contacted by someone either at the company supporting the testing, the PR company, or marketing company. That means that they are seeing the lack of productivity and would like to know where they stand.

Again I want to reiterate that we completely understand that life can get in the way and everybody gets too busy from time to time. Just remember that if that is the case, and you hear from us, please get back to us so we have some kind of communication. Thanks for listening.

Forum testing is great but perhaps reviews should strictly be done by equipment testers before THP loses the ability to test at all. As this place grows unfortunately the nature of the beast is the chance of someone disappearing is increased exponentially. Sad but true.

This is very frustrating that JB would have to make this speech again? Seems kind of crazy that people get an item to test and can't take a little time to write about it. As JB mentioned, send it back if you can't take the time to tell us what you think and often.

I also liked Sean's point of us members checking out these reviews and posting comments.

Ditto gentlemen. Those who are chosen do have an added responsibility that comes with the privilege of testing. The companies, THP HQ and the other forum members are relying on your feedback. We are fortunate to have these opportunities to get first dibs on new equipment and many forum members and even the lurkers are watching what testers are saying because it can be a deciding factor in a new purchase. And based upon that you can see why companies would be interested. Also the input from our testers can also influence future product development and enhancement. Just my two cents.

TapAhoy!

Forum testing is great but perhaps reviews should strictly be done by equipment testers before THP loses the ability to test at all. As this place grows unfortunately the nature of the beast is the chance of someone disappearing is increased exponentially. Sad but true.

It would be sad if it came to that, as the forum members feedback is invaluable information to the entire THP business. Hand picking forum members to do the forum testing is a viable option, and although this may upset some people who do not get picked, maybe those people are here for the wrong reasons. I hope the forum testing can remain as it is, but if changes need to be made, it's ultimately not our decision. Nor our business.

If that happens, and we lose some members because of it, then good riddance. They weren't here for the right reasons.

It would be sad if it came to that, as the forum members feedback is invaluable information to the entire THP business. Hand picking forum members to do the forum testing is a viable option, and although this may upset some people who do not get picked, maybe those people are here for the wrong reasons. I hope the forum testing can remain as it is, but if changes need to be made, it's ultimately not our decision. Nor our business.

When one of these posts is made about every 3 months it seems pretty clear.

It pains me everytime JB has to post in this thread because some THPers are slack on their responsibility or view testing as simply a "contest" to receive new golf equipment. As has been mentioned the best attitude to take as a tester is that it is a second job, you are responsible to report to others your findings on the equipment. What you like and dislike about it, if it does not suit your game that is no excuse, you agreed to test the equipment so do your best at capturing what the equipment does or does not do for you, and do it often not just once or twice a month.

As Sean said, other THPers are counting on you, and most of us found the site while looking for reviews on golf equipment. Responsibility is a must for any chosen tester.

When one of these posts is made about every 3 months it seems pretty clear.

Yes, but I hope that new members like myself who really appreciate what THP testers have done for the community, get a chance to repay the favor.

If that happens, and we lose some members because of it, then good riddance. They weren't here for the right reasons.

I want to be clear that who I am referring to in the bolded part is the people who might get upset if the testing stopped. Not anyone who understands the point of the thread.

I want to be clear that who I am referring to in the bolded part is the people who might get upset if the testing stopped. Not anyone who understands the point of the thread.

Good point, and yes, if they joined purely for having a chance to get new equipment, then they have joined for the wrong reasons.

I encourage everyone to sign up to test every piece of gear that comes to THP. HOWEVER, have the stones to say no to JB or GG if you are chosen and can't pull your weight.

If after you get the item and are completely lost PM a current tester or staffer for guidance. If you are a thief please PM your personal information to TC as he seems to be a big guy with a beard that could convince you to do the right thing. Seriously, don't let your ego get in the way of testing - ask for help, and don't come here trying to do the minimum or nothing.

I just want to say I hope the testing doesn't end. I enjoy reading the reviews and feedback by avg golfers.

I'm new here, and a 'newly selected tester' (haven't even received the package, yet.

I recognize that there is a sizable responsiblity that comes with the opportunity given me to be a tester.

I recognize that I 'agreed' to step up to the responsibility and to deliver what I committed to do.

I recognize that THP and the product sponsors ARE NOT in the business of 'GIVING AWAY' golf equipment (Christmas Birdie don't count)

I recognize that 'life happens' and when it does, the tester/reviewer should contact THP, discuss the situation and make it right. If that means getting the equipment back to THP so it can be provided to someone else that can continue with the objective, then make it so.

I recognize that THP is a WONDERFUL PLACE and that I'm both HAPPY and PROUD to be associated with THP. !

I, now only after such a short time here, recognize how much work the THP staff does, the work required of the reviewers doing a good job. I appreciate all the great information that is here.

I recognize what JB is saying in his post. I think it was well said and I hope that the current circumstances that prompted the post are quickly rectified.

Although I'm new around here I recognize that there's something SPECIAL that goes on here. Many, and now myself too, are given opportunities to test/review new products. Many often times pre production release, how SPECIAL is that !!

I"ll do my part to ensure we'll all continue to have those opportunities in the future, and I hope that everyone else will too.

Some of our last few forum testings have involved me on multiple occasions having to reach out to people to find out where they are. People going 2-3 weeks in between posts and/or vanishing altogether. I know life gets in the why a lot, and completely respect that, but if that is the case, when we contact someone about it, do the right thing and either get back to it, or return the equipment.

I know people like free things, and we love to be able to oblige, but between people getting angry that they are not selected, or multiple sets of irons, drivers, etc going missing it is becoming harder and harder to continue to do this. Im not pointing any fingers and do not want people to take it that way. The people that have been contacted, know what they have to do, but it is getting very hard to convey to companies "it was a one time thing and won't happen again".

We try to make it easy on everybody and reach out to them via PM first. We hope they respond and correct things, but if they don't, it can become an issue. People need to know that when they get contacted by us via PM, it is because we have been contacted by someone either at the company supporting the testing, the PR company, or marketing company. That means that they are seeing the lack of productivity and would like to know where they stand.

Again I want to reiterate that we completely understand that life can get in the way and everybody gets too busy from time to time. Just remember that if that is the case, and you hear from us, please get back to us so we have some kind of communication. Thanks for listening.

I think it sucks that you even had to write this, maybe the future should include credit card numbers with a shipping charge just to make sure the card is legit (with an electronic disclosure agreed by all parties), then if it disappears charge for the cost of the equipment. Growth opens the door to some buggery doesn't it.

I think it sucks that you even had to write this, maybe the future should include credit card numbers with a shipping charge just to make sure the card is legit (with an electronic disclosure agreed by all parties), then if it disappears charge for the cost of the equipment. Growth opens the door to some buggery doesn't it.

Of course we don't want it to come to this, but this idea isn't a bad one.

Not a bad idea, but that only eliminates some of the risk. Some of these items that get tested are pre-release items. Who's to say that person who decides they want to keep the item doesn't just sell it before it gets released and sell it for above retail price?

I just want to say I hope the testing doesn't end. I enjoy reading the reviews and feedback by avg golfers.

I second this. Getting first hand reviews from members is what makes the forum great, its how I found out about this place. It beats having to wait for the hot list to come out every year.

I hate that this thread exists. If you are chosen to partake in forum testing consider yourself lucky. Not because you are about to get some free stuff, but because you are about to have a great opportunity to help THP and everyone on the site by giving your thoughts and answering our questions. If you can't keep up with testing do the responsible thing and contact JB or GG

I hate to even have to read what JB posted....again. Becoming very clear that something has to be changed as THP trusting in the integrity of it's forum members is obviously not working.

Few bad apples sure are causing a lot of damage for what is some great trust that the OEM's place into our hands expecting to receive honest, timely, and unbiased reviews. Instead, they get people either completely walking away with equipment never to be heard from again or random, untimely feedback.

Wish I had an idea for a solution that was full proof that still allowed members to test product but if someone wants to get something and walk, it sure is hard to stop. Just sad....

I should test everything. That would fix everything.

I should test everything. That would fix everything.

You should play right handed. That would fix everything haha

Hate to see this thread again :(

I have the honor of being able to test something for THP right now and it has been tons of fun especially since I know people are looking to me for information about the product and I can give them the truth instead of someone at a store who is just trying to make a quick sale. I switched golf balls because of THP testing, bought my hybrids because of THP testing, and found a driver that works wonders for me thanks to THP testing.

I hope that it doesn't come to an end because it is a lot of fun to be a part of this site and help people out with their purchases because we all know buying anything golf related is never easy.

The forum testing has certainly helped me make decisions. I have been able to reach out to several members both in the threads and via PMs to obtain some great information on my new equipment that I have purchased. I've only been here a few months but I really rely on it at this point. This stuff really needs to be corrected and fast!

Back