TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

I do believe the testers in the CB thread were raving about the CBs. Taylormade installed the weight port on their more recent line but the setups and weight are different. The R11s have a different feel that the CBs, MCs. The feeling of a well struck ball is vastly different between the three. All quality in their own way but IMO the R11s would be the all around iron in the line. It has the characteristics of a GI mixed with a GE. As TC stated in previous post they can't fixed a flawed swing but they will minimize the damage.

Cant say it any better.

Thanks for reading between the lines :D Didn't want to detract from the TM thread with what I have at the short end of my bag.

I'll approach it from a different angle. What gaps are you guys seeing from iron to iron? My distance irons can go super far sometimes. Sorry if it's been posted (sure it has). Just askin.

I can't speak for the other testers but I have no gaps in my bag now that I added a 3i to the bag. I actually have some overlap.

Played my first 18 with the R11's. I don't recall a single bad shot today with any of the irons. I find I have formed a habit of reaching for the hybrids and fairway woods instead of irons, so I need to work on that to take full advantage of the new clubs.
Today I particularly liked the 8 iron, Gap Wedge, and the PW. I used the PW quite a bit around the green and had good success with that. Love the way the 8 iron spins it in to the green. In fact I skipped stopping by the Golf Shop after the round as I was afraid word may have gotten back to them about the meteor crater sized ball marks mysteriously appearing on their greens starting around 10:36 am today. TaylorMade should provide a green repair tool and instructions free of charge with each set of R-11's. I have a backache from repairing them. ;-)
The 5 and 6 iron were great too, easy to hit, and each gave me a GIR I likely would not have had otherwise.
No regrets from this hacker at all. Brought them home and cleaned them up right away. May take them to bed with me tonight too..

Played my first 18 with the R11's. I don't recall a single bad shot today with any of the irons. I find I have formed a habit of reaching for the hybrids and fairway woods instead of irons, so I need to work on that to take full advantage of the new clubs.
Today I particularly liked the 8 iron, Gap Wedge, and the PW. I used the PW quite a bit around the green and had good success with that. Love the way the 8 iron spins it in to the green. In fact I skipped stopping by the Golf Shop after the round as I was afraid word may have gotten back to them about the meteor crater sized ball marks mysteriously appearing on their greens starting around 10:36 am today. TaylorMade should provide a green repair tool and instructions free of charge with each set of R-11's. I have a backache from repairing them. ;-)
The 5 and 6 iron were great too, easy to hit, and each gave me a GIR I likely would not have had otherwise.
No regrets from this hacker at all. Brought them home and cleaned them up right away. May take them to bed with me tonight too..

Love it DocSr, The more I read this thread and hit the R11's the more I want them.

Glad to see you got them and got to use and enjoy them Dr Pat! Keep us informed here how you are doing with them!

Thanks for reading between the lines :D Didn't want to detract from the TM thread with what I have at the short end of my bag.

I'll approach it from a different angle. What gaps are you guys seeing from iron to iron? My distance irons can go super far sometimes. Sorry if it's been posted (sure it has). Just askin.

So far I have not noticed any gaps with the irons.

So I have an M3+M4 that are 20.5* and 23*. The 5 iron is 24* and the 6 iron is 28*...would you guys recommend going 6-PW or 5-PW and dropping my M4?

I was fitted for a set of these irons but held off making the purchase until today. Anxious to get them and get out and play a few. Should be here early next week, most places don't stock Senior Graphites.

Congrats MikeT on your purchase, I got fitted yesterday it'll take a couple of weeks for the build from TM. Had them turned up 4* for my swing. Man I can't wait. your turn around is pretty quick. Keep us posted with your progress. Maybe we can get a round in if the weather permit's.

Congrats MikeT on your purchase, I got fitted yesterday it'll take a couple of weeks for the build from TM. Had them turned up 4* for my swing. Man I can't wait. your turn around is pretty quick. Keep us posted with your progress. Maybe we can get a round in if the weather permit's.

Congrats to you also Shark. Let me know when yours get here, maybe we can play a Polar Bear Open or something :act-up:

Anyone have a count as too how many folks bought these from reading this forum? Great reviews, going to get fit very soon. Thanks reviewers

So I have an M3+M4 that are 20.5* and 23*. The 5 iron is 24* and the 6 iron is 28*...would you guys recommend going 6-PW or 5-PW and dropping my M4?

Not sure of your distances with the mashies but if you are proficient with them I would go with 6-AW. I know you asked about PW but the AW is key. Once you hit it you will know what I am speaking of.

Not sure of your distances with the mashies but if you are proficient with them I would go with 6-AW. I know you asked about PW but the AW is key. Once you hit it you will know what I am speaking of.

I agree with Tadashi ( which I seem to quite often) I would get 6-aw and then see how it goes. You can always add a 5i later if you are hitting the clubs well. But definitely con side the AW!! It is my favorite club of the entire set!!

I love my mashies lol. I was thinking I could just choke up on the M4 if I needed to close the gap a bit. What is so special about the AW exactly? I was probably going to get it since I want to replace my 52* but I really like having that 52* for longer chips.

I love my mashies lol. I was thinking I could just choke up on the M4 if I needed to close the gap a bit. What is so special about the AW exactly? I was probably going to get it since I want to replace my 52* but I really like having that 52* for longer chips.
Jumping in on Tadashi's response here, but check WAY back towards the beginning to this process and TC posted a video using the AW and chipping. Buckjob also did some work with this as well, both had tremendous results. For me personally, I have fell in love witht the AW, no so much for the chipping aspect, but I've found that I can control the club very well in full swings, but more importantly 3/4 and 1/2 swings. I know many on here wouldn't agree with what I've done, but I only carry a R11 45* PW, R11 50* AW, 56* and 60* wedges. I'm not as low of a scorer as some of the other testers, but I work very hard to use the AW to fill the spots between the 50* AW and 56* by swing. I like to carry a driver, 3w, 3hy, 4i-AW, 2 wedges and putter (14 total). I would like someday to be in a position to carry say, a set of Scor wedges in the proper lofts, but that's my bag for now and I'm really enjoying it.

Sorry to jump in on Tadashi's question, but that's how I see it.

This is probably not going to be what you are looking for but my answer to that question is .. it just works. Yes i have had other sets, and even had 50* wedges in my bag but none of them have worked for me as well as this AW has. I have so much confidence now when I have that club in my hand knowing the shot is going to be successful. Golf clubs are a very personal thing, I get that, and I think we all do. It is funny how in a thread talking about a set of irons, so many of us of various handicaps and abilities have zeroed in on the same club. Gotta be something to it.

Have you guys used the AW out of the sand at all? I cant remember. Even the PW is pretty darn good from the sand, I had a long bunker shot the other day and it worked great.

Have you guys used the AW out of the sand at all? I cant remember. Even the PW is pretty darn good from the sand, I had a long bunker shot the other day and it worked great.

I believe I did once when I forgot my wedge and was too lazy to walk back and get it. If I recall it worked find for the shot I had at the time.

I think Ive used it once out of the sand and it worked quite well. Ive just been thoroughly impressed with the 9-AW in this set. Super easy to hit.

I believe I did once when I forgot my wedge and was too lazy to walk back and get it. If I recall it worked find for the shot I had at the time.
Thanks WR
I think Ive used it once out of the sand and it worked quite well. Ive just been thoroughly impressed with the 9-AW in this set. Super easy to hit.

I agree OEM, the 9-PW for me is money, really thinking about adding the 5 and AW instead of the 4 and 5 iron. Got some thinking do to over winter.

perhaps go with the M4 and the 5i and se which config works best for you? Might be worth having the 5i and not use it then not get it and wish you had it

perhaps go with the M4 and the 5i and se which config works best for you? Might be worth having the 5i and not use it then not get it and wish you had it

I agree, Id get the 5 - AW. Even if the i5 and one of your Mashi are close I always find them to flight a ball quite differently. Both could have their advantages to keep in the bag.

I agree, Id get the 5 - AW. Even if the i5 and one of your Mashi are close I always find them to flight a ball quite differently. Both could have their advantages to keep in the bag.

I am debating the same with my M5( which I love) and getting a 5i . I have 13 clubs now so I could technically do it but still must ponder more.

this. it's why I carry both as well....both work differently from different lies

Back