TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Not going to make a long post here but I played 9 this morning in 25+ mph winds and the R11 irons performed the best they have yet in those conditions. I just had a really good ball striking day with them. Thats all carry on with all the R11 greatness!

Nice write up Buck - I love hearing that the clubs are performing at a high level for you even when going through the swing change.

Great write up Buck. In the read I feel engaged with your struggles to change your swing to reach the next plateau. Good luck with the Winter swing transformation, I know you'll come out on top.

Solid write up Buck. You'll get you swing fixed in no time and will be excited to play in the 40* weather we will have coming our way soon. Sounds like these will be the right club for your new swing

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Solid write up Buck. You'll get you swing fixed in no time and will be excited to play in the 40* weather we will have coming our way soon. Sounds like these will be the right club for your new swing

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

yeah super excited about the 30* and 40* weather! still will be playing more this winter than ever before i think... i usually take the winter off and concentrate on hockey but not this year.

I've played about five rounds now with my r11s. Overall I am delighted with my purchase and overall performance. Prior to the r11s, I used to score a birdie about once every three to four rounds...last three rounds I had four birds...one putt was about20 ft and the others were from3 to 5 ft...and probably missed another 2 opportunities per round. Several times based on the swing and feel, I wasn't expecting much but the ball ended up on the green or just off...definitely game improvement! Still trying to adjust to the distances...I've hit several shots too good and flew over a few greens...also adjusting to chirping with the aw and PW...ball seems to fly off the face. If I could find a driver to match the r11 performance! I would be knocking the70s routinely....really looking forward to playing more golf. I am currently a13 handicap. Also becoming a big fan of the bridgestone e6...straight hitting clubs and a straight ball...

I've played about five rounds now with my r11s. Overall I am delighted with my purchase and overall performance. Prior to the r11s, I used to score a birdie about once every three to four rounds...last three rounds I had four birds...one putt was about20 ft and the others were from3 to 5 ft...and probably missed another 2 opportunities per round. Several times based on the swing and feel, I wasn't expecting much but the ball ended up on the green or just off...definitely game improvement! Still trying to adjust to the distances...I've hit several shots too good and flew over a few greens...also adjusting to chirping with the aw and PW...ball seems to fly off the face. If I could find a driver to match the r11 performance! I would be knocking the70s routinely....really looking forward to playing more golf. I am currently a13 handicap. Also becoming a big fan of the bridgestone e6...straight hitting clubs and a straight ball...

Glad they are working for you jc. Those birdies will start dropping as long as the R11's are getting you on the green, keep at it.

im seeing more birdies than before but if my putting finally gets in line ill be seeing a lot more. def something im working on this winter for the spring.

Well, I played 9 holes today and then had a great range session with the R11's today and I have to say it was like riding a bike. Like I've said before, I haven't been able to play in over a month, and since my clubs stay up at the club, I haven't even seen the R11's in all that time.

I get to the club this morning and there is my bag sitting on the cart, and the first thing that pops into my mind is how good looking these irons are. They just make the bag look fantastic.

It was a ugly day today, and I really didn't feel like warming up on the range just getting soaked so I decided to just head to the first tee since I was the only one silly enough to be out there playing. After a surprisingly good drive, I pull the R11 6 iron, and just stripe on down to the very end of the fairway before the creek (Par 5) and then hit a AW to about 6 feet. OK, these irons are really good.

I played pretty well out there today all things considered, and a lot of that is due to the R11 irons. I hit some great shots with them today, and I love looking down at that small atractive head, knowing there is a ton of forgiveness packed in there.

glad to hear you had a decent round after your layoff CB... i can't decide if i wanna do a long range session or play tomorrow its supposed to be 65 here and sunny.

That is some great feedback. Glad you like them! The confidence you will gain from the R11s will carry over to the rest of your game.

Well, I played 9 holes today and then had a great range session with the R11's today and I have to say it was like riding a bike. Like I've said before, I haven't been able to play in over a month, and since my clubs stay up at the club, I haven't even seen the R11's in all that time.

I get to the club this morning and there is my bag sitting on the cart, and the first thing that pops into my mind is how good looking these irons are. They just make the bag look fantastic.

It was a ugly day today, and I really didn't feel like warming up on the range just getting soaked so I decided to just head to the first tee since I was the only one silly enough to be out there playing. After a surprisingly good drive, I pull the R11 6 iron, and just stripe on down to the very end of the fairway before the creek (Par 5) and then hit a AW to about 6 feet. OK, these irons are really good.

I played pretty well out there today all things considered, and a lot of that is due to the R11 irons. I hit some great shots with them today, and I love looking down at that small atractive head, knowing there is a ton of forgiveness packed in there.

I thought I felt a completeness in the R11 force. Welcome back my friend, they missed you. Glad you feel right back into the quality that is an R11.

Taylormade R11 Iron Testing
Date- 11/28/11
Irons Used- Taylormade R11 Irons 4-AW Stiff Flex KBS Steel Shafts
Previous Irons-Taylormade Burner 2.0 4-AW Stiff Flex Steel Shafts
Ball Used-Topflite Range Balls
Testing Conditions- Sunny 68*
Location- Range hitting off grass practice green

What a great day to hit the range.... i was so temped to go play 18 but i really need to keep working on my swing and i wanted to knock the rust on my short game. Hit a large bucket today and then was chipping for about an hour then putt for an half hour.

Large bucket.... Honestly was somewhat of a mess today more than the other day... was just slicing a lot of balls which i havn't done in a very long time. but im sure ill get it worked out cause when i hit a good shot it was a really nice shot dropped a few balls right at the yardage markers on the range and 1 hit the sign (love doing that). ball striking was better today... only hit a couple off the toe or heel. but i was chunking a lot of shots. but honestly i liked when i hit a good shot today i lowered my ball flight a little it seems like but until i finish my swing change im not sure where things will end up. Still a long work in progress.

Chipping on the practice green...... well again as everyone has been talking recently about the AW and chipping with it i still think this is my favorite out of my 56* and 60* xft wedges to use around the green. after knocking some rust off my short game. i was back in pretty good form after about 10 minutes. i started keeping my head down a little longer today during my chip and i was hitting my spots on the green a lot better. i wish i had my camera today to take video but i only had my i phone so i took 2 pics of my chipping. i was draining a chip on every hole i was aiming at it seemed like... i used 6 old used TM Pentas and chipped to every hole on the green today and moved from different spots. i seem to notice sometimes i get more side spin with chipping with my wedges than i do with the AW seems to be a straighter roll and doesn't hop one way when it first hits the green. Anyway i really had some good looks and lines at holes today i never really drained chips before i think i can remember 2 or 3 times honestly in the last 14 years up till this year. and although i went from trying to lob shots in close to trying to roll them up close this year and changed my chipping technique this year the difference between my AW and 52* was pretty significant. anyway here are 2 of the better holes i chipped to. each picture had 3 balls chipped on the fringe and 3 balls from the first cut of rough around the greens.

This pic was about a 15-20' chip uphill moving right to left
IMG_0776-1.jpg

This pic is about a 30' chip downhill left to right.
IMG_0778-1.jpg

anyway was really nice to knock the rust off my short game im hoping to keep going and doing this throughout the winter to keep my chipping up to par. But i keep finding myself spending more and more time with my AW around the greens. Its actually hurt my 60* and 64* game a little bit cause i havn't been practicing as much with it so ill try to work that back in a little more for those tougher chips around the green where i need them to check up and stop quick. But its tough when you have results like this with the AW.

That is a nice grouping of golf shots there Buck. I'm liking my AW more and more. If it starts to perform on long bunker shots, my 52* will be coming out of the bag.

That is a nice grouping of golf shots there Buck. I'm liking my AW more and more. If it starts to perform on long bunker shots, my 52* will be coming out of the bag.

thanks freddie, i wish i had a place close to practice longer bunker shots. might have to make a few calls and set something up ive been wanting to work on some fairway bunker shots for May anyway. i usually only use my 56* and 60* on greenside bunker shots so it wasn't as much as an issue pulling my 52*

I sem to have a 30yd bunker shot every other round and I have to use my 52*. If the AW does the trick, I would need the 52* except for shots I have worked on for years with it. But over time I can these shots coming out of the AW....I'll be able to test it well over the next week as I will be in Vegas and playing at TPC Las Vegas. Can't wait...write up to follow

thanks freddie, i wish i had a place close to practice longer bunker shots. might have to make a few calls and set something up ive been wanting to work on some fairway bunker shots for May anyway. i usually only use my 56* and 60* on greenside bunker shots so it wasn't as much as an issue pulling my 52*

pretty jealous. can't wait for your write up.... i don't tend to have a lot of longer bunker shots and im not terrible at them i actually can't think of any since ive had these irons off the top of my head... but something i def wanna work on before May i got a feeling the North South course may have a few bunkers on it. lol

Thanks for the update Buck. To repeat what Tadashi said nice grouping with the AW. Old man winter been giving you some breaks to get out and practice enjoy.

I've been following the discussion about the different wedges here lately. When I was getting new clubs back in July I had never seen a Gap or Approach Wedge. When I asked the Pro that was working with me he gave me the following history, whether it's true or not I have no idea.

When Cobra first made its wedges it used 9 iron loft and because they went further everyone wanted one. This left a gap in the bag for a club with the old pitching wedge loft and with that the G/AW wedges were born.

I still have my old clubs from the mid '70s. I had them in the car when I was a GG one Sunday afternoon, I might add I was the only one in the store and they were pretty bored. The fella at the repair desk offered to check some of these old clubs for loft and lie for me. It turned out my old pitching wedge had the same loft or very close to what is today's Gap or Approach wedge. He also checked my 4 iron which came in at the same as today's 3 iron.

It turned out that the lie and loft of these old clubs was extremely close to the R11's of today and they are almost 40 years old. My old 4-9 equal the loft of 5-PW of the R11's.

Can anyone confirm any of this?

Last edited:
I've been following the discussion about the different wedges here lately. When I was getting new clubs back in July I had never seen a Gap or Approach Wedge. When I asked the Pro that was working with me he gave me the following history, whether it's true or not I have no idea.

When Cobra first made its wedges it used 9 iron loft and because they went further everyone wanted one. This left a gap in the bag for a club with the old pitching wedge loft and with that the G/AW wedges were born.

I still have my old clubs from the mid '70s. I had them in the car when I was a GG one Sunday afternoon, I might add I was the only one in the store and they were pretty bored. The fella at the repair desk offered to check some of these old clubs for loft and lie for me. It turned out my old pitching wedge had the same loft or very close to what is today's Gap or Approach wedge. He also checked my 4 iron which came in at the same as today's 3 iron.

It turned out that the lie and loft of these old clubs was extremely close to the R11's of today and they are almost 40 years old. My old 4-9 equal the loft of 5-PW of the R11's.

Can anyone confirm any of this?

Is it safe to say the old clubs were Cobras? Anything is possible. These are pretty old as well so the lofts could have gotten stronger over the years. Too many factors to say for sure. But with my limited knowledge I would have to say strong lofts from the 70s might be a little rare but again anything is possible.

Well, I had a chance to spend about 15 minutes with an R11 8i at Dick's launch monitor today. First impression: holy crap this club is long. My X22 8i is 145-150 yards. I was averaging 162 yards with the R11, with one out to 172. I don't know how accurate that is or if I can trust the numbers from their LM though. I can imagine that those of you who have crazy fast swing speeds are really bombing the ball with these. The R11 felt great on shots that were pure and you felt it on mishits, but you weren't penalized too badly. My X22s get decent results on mishits as well, but the feedback isn't there. I LOVED this aspect of the club. Topline and sole were MUCH more classic than my Callys. I'd love to try chipping with the AW to see if it compares to my 52* Cleveland CG14. Also wish I could swing the TP CB beside it. In the end, these will be added to the shortlist for next seasons irons. Everyone's praise so far seems to be warranted.

Well, I had a chance to spend about 15 minutes with an R11 8i at Dick's launch monitor today. First impression: holy crap this club is long. My X22 8i is 145-150 yards. I was averaging 162 yards with the R11, with one out to 172. I don't know how accurate that is or if I can trust the numbers from their LM though. I can imagine that those of you who have crazy fast swing speeds are really bombing the ball with these. The R11 felt great on shots that were pure and you felt it on mishits, but you weren't penalized too badly. My X22s get decent results on mishits as well, but the feedback isn't there. I LOVED this aspect of the club. Topline and sole were MUCH more classic than my Callys. I'd love to try chipping with the AW to see if it compares to my 52* Cleveland CG14. Also wish I could swing the TP CB beside it. In the end, these will be added to the shortlist for next seasons irons. Everyone's praise so far seems to be warranted.

The feel of the R11 is different than most clubs I have hit from an all around point of view. The beauty is that you don't need crazy fast SS to launch these into the rarefied air of long distance. Glad you adding these to your list.

Totally an ace!!

:confused2:

Ive spent some time chipping with the AW lately and it works very well. It does take some practice but once you get used to it you'll be fine.

I came to the R11s having previously played the X22s (with a stop off at Burner 2.0s in between). I know I see a 10 yard difference easy between the two sets, so I wouldn't be shocked at the accuracy of the LM.

The difference in looks between the two sets is huge, and I love the classic look compared to either the X22s or the Burner 2.0s. I have hit the CBs as well, and I really prefer the distance and forgiveness of the R11s versus the forged feel of the CBs. The CBs would probably be more in line distance wise with what you have now, at least they were to me.

Back