Bridgestone J40 Wedges

It's definitely something you notice when grabbing one after using the other for a few shots. I had really come to like the added weight of the J40 after testing for the home page review, then the 588 came and it took me a little while to adjust to the weight. It's all personal preference though, I wouldn't say either is good or bad, just depends on what you like.

I thibk there is a weight difference. Just remember jakes 588 has the miyazaki shaft in it which is about 3O grams lighter. Do you have the 95 gram SHAFT?

Sent from my Kindle Fire

I am actually going to do a write up on my findings. But to answer you question, you don't have to be a digger to play these. You can be a sweeper. I am a digger and really try to compress the ball at impact to impart as much spin as I need for a particular shot.
The sole of the clubs allows for some pretty versatile shots around the green. I can play a straight chip, bump and run, flop...you name it I can the shots with these clubs. The sole also allows me to play the clubs from various lies and still get the same level of performance.
Here is an example: green side bunker with no sand in the trap. I'm serious when I say there way maybe 1/2" of sand then hard pack. I opened the club, left side weight and made as steep as a swings s I could. The ball hit 1" behind the cup checked and rolled to a stop. I didn't think there was anyway I could get that ball to stop. Everyone else that tried the shots had their SW bounce into the ball and blades their shots over the green. With performances like that from any lie it's tough to say anything bad about them.

That's very interesting because all the bunkers at my home course are like that and they can be tough to hit out of. Maybe im just not.using the right wedges...

That's very interesting because all the bunkers at my home course are like that and they can be tough to hit out of. Maybe im just not.using the right wedges...

Could be the case. I have found with traps like this you really need a high spinning wedge. You also have to hit very close to the ball so you can miss. I love these shots and I love them even more with the J40s

You guys have me jealous I can't play this wedge. Its great looking for sure and the performance sounds phenomenal.

What wedge can you play?

Close to three months ago I was given two of the best wedges, J40 52* & 56*, I have ever put in my hands. I've been around golf 3/4 of my life and have had hundreds of wedges. Some good and some not so good. But let's face it a few bad rounds and it always the clubs fault. So a new set would grace the bag. That being said I should adjust my statement, the J40s IMO are the best wedges I have had the pleasure of committing to.

The first thing that drew me in was the styling of the wedges. The etched 'B' for Bridgestone on the back of the head was just too cool for words. The shape of the wedge head is also very inviting. It's a small compact forged head with a nicely rounded toe. The balance of the shape is noticed as soon as you pick them up and set them down behind you golf ball.

Bridgestone combined their wedges with the DG spinner shaft. This shaft has a unique step pattern and an hour glass shaped portion toward the top of the shaft. This design is said to impart great spin when striking the ball. This combined with the well constructed forged club had has produced the best wedge I have handled in a very long time. Since the govern bodies of golf did away with the previous groove pattern companies had to figure out the best way to offset the new rules. The R&D department at Bridgestone should pat themselves on the back for their creation.

The feel and control that is present in every shot is a plus. This control comes from the variable sole that Bridgestone placed on these magic wands. The sole also me to play from any type of lie by manipulating the face and increasing or decreasing bounce by doing so. The wedges perform just as well out of the fairway as they do on uneven lies around the greens. The versatility that these wedges provided is a welcome bonus.

These are a heavier wedge, not in the sense that they are sledge hammers but more of a head weighted club. This weight I feel does not deter me from absolutely ripping through turf when needed. It also allows me to finesse shots that I may otherwise have to be aggressive with if I had another wedge in my hand. I'm a huge fan of knowing where the club head is through out the entire swing. This allows me to make any corrections to poor swings. I am 100% aware on every swing.

In conclusion these past three months have been a bit of love affair for me. I don't normally fiddle with my clubs unless I am playing. I have found myself swinging the wedges around the house, if just for 5 minutes or so. I still just stare at the workmanship and design that was put into making these. Bridgestone got it right with the J40 wedges. I'm a believer and a loyal fan moving forward. These just fit my game and I am sure they will fit a lot of golfers game. It's nice when I company creates a product that can be used by many different ranges of talent. This has not always been the case in the past. Bridgestone is definitely a leader in their industry.

Last edited:
Nice write up Freddie! So you are a big fan of the variable sole?? Having a wedge that can play a shot that calls for almost no bounce and then play one that calls for lots of bounce would sure make things easier!

Nice review Tadashi! Unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of even seeing these in person but looking forward to doing so. Sounds like another solid, classic wedge offering that is put over the top with an outstanding stock shaft.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Nice write up Freddie! So you are a big fan of the variable sole?? Having a wedge that can play a shot that calls for almost no bounce and then play one that calls for lots of bounce would sure make things easier!

Thanks and I am! A lot of variables are taken away with these wedges. Leaves more room to just swing the club and expect results.

Dang Tadashi70, you pretty much just cemented it. I will be ordering these in the next few days. Thanks, just don't tell my wife.

Close to three months ago I was given two of the best wedges, J40 52* & 56*, I have ever put in my hands. I've been around golf 3/4 of my life and have had hundreds of wedges. Some good and some not so good. But let's face it a few bad rounds and it always the clubs fault. So a new set would grace the bag. That being said I should adjust my statement, the J40s IMO are the best wedges I have had the pleasure of committing to.

The first thing that drew me in was the styling of the wedges. The etched 'B' for Bridgestone on the back of the head was just too cool for words. The shape of the wedge head is also very inviting. It's a small compact forged head with a nicely rounded toe. The balance of the shape is noticed as soon as you pick them up and set them down behind you golf ball.

Bridgestone combined their wedges with the DG spinner shaft. This shaft has a unique step pattern and an hour glass shaped portion toward the top of the shaft. This design is said to impart great spin when striking the ball. This combined with the well constructed forged club had has produced the best wedge I have handled in a very long time. Since the govern bodies of golf did away with the previous groove pattern companies had to figure out the best way to offset the new rules. The R&D department at Bridgestone should pat themselves on the back for their creation.

The feel and control that is present in every shot is a plus. This control comes from the variable sole that Bridgestone placed on these magic wands. The sole also me to play from any type of lie by manipulating the face and increasing or decreasing bounce by doing so. The wedges perform just as well out of the fairway as they do on uneven lies around the greens. The versatility that these wedges provided is a welcome bonus.

These are a heavier wedge, not in the sense that they are sledge hammers but more of a head weighted club. This weight I feel does not deter me from absolutely ripping through turf when needed. It also allows me to finesse shots that I may otherwise have to be aggressive with if I had another wedge in my hand. I'm a huge fan of knowing where the club head is through out the entire swing. This allows me to make any corrections to poor swings. I am 100% aware on every swing.

In conclusion these past three months have been a bit of love affair for me. I don't normally fiddle with my clubs unless I am playing. I have found myself swinging the wedges around the house, if just for 5 minutes or so. I still just stare at the workmanship and design that was put into making these. Bridgestone got it right with the J40 wedges. I'm a believer and a loyal fan moving forward. These just fit my game and I am sure they will fit a lot of golfers game. It's nice when I company creates a product that can be used by many different ranges of talent. This has not always been the case in the past. Bridgestone is definitely a leader in their industry.

not forged--

Reactions: JB
not forged--

Yeah, I know right? No way anything could ever work with that super feel that is similar to a stick of buttery soft goodness. Or even better, the feel of typing on a keyboard of a forged laptop. That is the ultimate for someone like myself an internet golfer. :act-up:

Last edited:
Yeah, I know right? No way anything could ever work with that super feel that is similar to a stick of buttery soft goodness. Or even better, the feel of typing on a keyboard of a forged laptop. That is the ultimate for someone like myself an internet golfer. :act-up:

:D hehehehehe

no need to get testy jb--I was just pointing out that the post I quoted is incorrect as the j40 wedges are not forged. If you read my post, which is two words long, I didn't say that the wedges were not great, or soft, or that forged wedges were superior. I'll leave that to the subjective personal preferences we all have. I just wrote that the wedges are "not forged." Sorry if I offended you by making this factual correction:))

tadashi70
[/URL][/IMG]

tadashi70
[/URL][/IMG]

For the sake of accuracy, these wedges are cast. Take a look at the pic you posted--the clubheads are 8620 carbon steel, which is the same material as Vokeys (cast), Scratch 8620s, etc. Also, the description in the pic does not state "forged." Look at the description for the new J40 CBs and dpc cbs, and it states "forged" 1020 steel. The J40 wedges may be great--I'm not arguing or implying that they aren't. They just aren't forged!!! They are cast from 8620 carbon steel. I think we owe it to our fellow thp-ers to correct significant errors, and that's all I'm doing. Don't kill the messenger!!!

For the sake of accuracy, these wedges are cast. Take a look at the pic you posted--the clubheads are 8620 carbon steel, which is the same material as Vokeys (cast), Scratch 8620s, etc. Also, the description in the pic does not state "forged." Look at the description for the new J40 CBs and dpc cbs, and it states "forged" 1020 steel. The J40 wedges may be great--I'm not arguing or implying that they aren't. They just aren't forged!!! They are cast from 8620 carbon steel. I think we owe it to our fellow thp-ers to correct significant errors, and that's all I'm doing. Don't kill the messenger!!!

I am aware of my mistake and that is why I posted I exact specs from Bridgestone. Thank you for pointing that out. It does do readers any favors by reporting miss information.

Tad: I know this one might be tricky but how is the feel on these? Is there another wedge you've hit where these are pretty close to in feel?

no need to get testy jb--I was just pointing out that the post I quoted is incorrect as the j40 wedges are not forged. If you read my post, which is two words long, I didn't say that the wedges were not great, or soft, or that forged wedges were superior. I'll leave that to the subjective personal preferences we all have. I just wrote that the wedges are "not forged." Sorry if I offended you by making this factual correction:))

Where was I offended or testy?
Clearly a joke including the smiley after the post....Good lord.

[video=youtube;wX8WI89-htQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX8WI89-htQ[/video]

Love the way these look and they sound great coming off the club! These are going to find their way into a lot of peoples bags I am sure.

Love the way these look and they sound great coming off the club! These are going to find their way into a lot of peoples bags I am sure.

possibly my favorite wedge of the weekend. They are neck and neck with the 588's.
I played the Mizuno JPX wedge earlier in the trip and while I liked that wedge, these were just better. I liked the weight, the look, the turf interaction. I thought it was great out of a bunker(even at times when I was not).

I currently have Vokey, Mizuno and Nike Pro in my collection of wedges. The J40 feel is compareable to the NIKE for me. Meaning I can feel my solid hits, toe, thin and heal. I get the same feedback no matter what type of shot I am hitting, flob, chip, full, bump and run. And the separation for me between this and the nike is the sole and the versatility I have because of the sole.

The Vokey and Mizzy are good wedges, don't get me wrong....but they do not even come close to the J40s... I hope this helps, let me know if it didn't

Tad: I know this one might be tricky but how is the feel on these? Is there another wedge you've hit where these are pretty close to in feel?

Back