Joining the local country club!

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Well we got some awesome news, we will be joining the local country club and I can't wait to start golfing there. I've played a few times in the past, it's a fun course, but still has it's challenges. Now if only the snow would melt. See link below for info on the club itself:

http://www.hillcrestcountryclub.com/

Now here comes my question, as a new member are there any unspoken rules I should be aware of and follow?

What have some of you done when joining a new club to network and get to know similar families?

Merry Early Christmas to me!!!

Congrats, feed the addiction :D

congrats on the christmas gift!

Congrats, I joined a private club recently and I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Nice man!!
Only rule I can tell you is just be yourself an don't try to be something your not

Congrats!! I joined one on 10/1 and it has been awesome thus far.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Geez. Starts pretty easy, but 2-4 look rough!

Congrats Icey, I've heard nice things about that course. Enjoy and try to remember people there by first names, you will fit right in.

Congrats man! I just got the unfortunate news that my club is about to close. So, I'm looking for another, but the closest is 30 minutes away compared to the 2 minute drive now.

Congrats!! The best thing I have found is to go out of your way to make friends and get into some of the established groups, that way you meet a lot of people quickly.

The 1st rule of of joining a country club is you don't talk about joining a country club. *insert fight club music*

Try to find a golf group that you could join. Ask the pros in the shop and I'm sure they would point you to a good one for you. The group I'm in always has 4-5 standing times on Saturday morning that I can jump into at the beginning of the week. Great way in getting to know the in's and out's of the club you are in.

Last edited:
Congrats Icey, I joined a club this year. I use the range a ton but the only bad thing is there are very few younger (50 and under) folks here. But I have met a few groups of some 20-40 somethings and I play with them.

Looks like a great facility! 1929...It's been around for a while. Swimming and tennis too and a nice restaurant. I hope the snow melts soon. Congratulations Icey! :)

No cargo shorts.

Belonging to a club is great.

Kevin

Congrats Icey, I joined a club this year. I use the range a ton but the only bad thing is there are very few younger (50 and under) folks here. But I have met a few groups of some 20-40 somethings and I play with them.

Same problem here, see very few people under 30. They have a great junior rate so it seems there would be a few more but I never see anyone.

Congrats Icey! I can't wait for that day to come for me.

This is a list of things that come to mind ... mileage may vary from club to club:

No cargo shorts
Tuck in your shirt ... you're not 15
No flipflops ... were not at the beach
Keep cursing to a minimum ... srsly my boys are 4 and 7 and I don't feel like explaining bad language during dinner
Treat the staff with respect
Tips are usually included but a little extra is appreciated
Get to know your pro
Interact with fellow members ... it's what makes the club "your" club
Attend club events and invite outside friends when appropriate
Enjoy yourself

Congrats on the club...the only country club here is only a 9 hole course...really expensive and very stuffy.

congrats. you will love it.

always over dress, and treat staff with respect. like many folks said, "no cargo shorts LOL!"

The best thing to do is to talk to the Pro. Let him know what kind of group you like to play in. Chances are he knows everybody that is playing and what kind of game if any that they play. He can put you in a group where you will fit in. That's the best way to get to know the other members. Also, don't shy away from club tournaments like the club championship or scrambles the club might put on. You'll probably get paired with someone you don't know and you can meet people that way. That's what I've done at the last two clubs that I've joined and it has worked greatly.

Most CC have full on member manual, be sure to read it through a full times.

Congrats!! Good luck with the membership!

Oh, and I'm sure they have monthly MGA tournaments at the club.........play 'em all!!!

Way to go! HillCrest has a great rep. Never had a chance to play there but I have heard good things about it. I would suggest you get to know the Pro Shop help and if they have one the starter. Those are the ones that can help you get set up with some players. Good luck and have fun.

From Warm Nebraska.
CrazyGolfNut

Back