TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Played golf yesterday in some wild conditions. The front 9 was cold, windy, and overcast. The back nine was colder, not as windy, but the rain was present. It was the perfect round to make myself really concentrate and stay focused. It was wet enough that crisp ball striking out of the fairway was paramount. Full disclosure: I hate playing golf in wet conditions. My grips get wet, I can't keep my hands dry or warm enough and it begins effecting my mentality. I just usually want to pack it up and quit. I shot an even par 36 on the front 9, with 1 birdie and 1 bogey (which came on the par 5 9th due to a piss poor 3rd shot from 70 yards out). Then the rain started in, but my playing partner and I were playing well so we kept on keeping on. I really knuckled down mentally and just kept reminding myself to let my R11s do their thing. I didn't hit perfect shots but I kept hitting GIRs, which is nice in those conditions. I walked off the course with a 1 over round of 73, which included 13 GIR's.

One thing I really noticed was just how well the soles of these irons performed in the damp, wet conditions. THey didn't dig like previous irons had for me in similar conditions. THey seemed to still cut through the wet turf and perform similarly to what I have been seeing. My highlight shot was on the dog leg left to right, par 4 17th hole. It's a tough hole b/c there's a massive bunker that eats up a ton of real estate in the dog leg. Go right of it and you're o.b. Play left of it, which is safe and you have a challenging, lengthy approach shot. I opted for my 3iron off the tee. I aimed dead at the bunker and ripped it. The bunker was 215 yards to the front edge and 230 yards to carry it. I was playing a little cut shot and the ball cut beautifully off the bunker but left me with a rather lengthy approach of 190 yards, into the breeze, with bunkers guarding short left and right of the green. I hit the 3iron again and hit a laser! Nice penetrating flight, right between the bunkers and safely in the middle of the green. What was most impressive was what I was hitting out of. Saturated grass with standing water and the R11s just got the job done.

For those of you pondering the 3iron, I love the club. It's not a hybrid replacement for me though. It just serves a different purpose. For me, it's not as high of launching as my hybrid, but I prefer the 3iron out of the rough, when I need to flight something low, and for it's accuracy.

Nice job TC. This makes me really excited to get my 3 iron I ordered in. I think I am going to love it. I don't think I am going to carry a hybrid though. I have thought about picking up a 5 wood instead of the hybrid. Still pondering though.

Played golf yesterday in some wild conditions. The front 9 was cold, windy, and overcast. The back nine was colder, not as windy, but the rain was present. It was the perfect round to make myself really concentrate and stay focused. It was wet enough that crisp ball striking out of the fairway was paramount. Full disclosure: I hate playing golf in wet conditions. My grips get wet, I can't keep my hands dry or warm enough and it begins effecting my mentality. I just usually want to pack it up and quit. I shot an even par 36 on the front 9, with 1 birdie and 1 bogey (which came on the par 5 9th due to a piss poor 3rd shot from 70 yards out). Then the rain started in, but my playing partner and I were playing well so we kept on keeping on. I really knuckled down mentally and just kept reminding myself to let my R11s do their thing. I didn't hit perfect shots but I kept hitting GIRs, which is nice in those conditions. I walked off the course with a 1 over round of 73, which included 13 GIR's.

One thing I really noticed was just how well the soles of these irons performed in the damp, wet conditions. THey didn't dig like previous irons had for me in similar conditions. THey seemed to still cut through the wet turf and perform similarly to what I have been seeing. My highlight shot was on the dog leg left to right, par 4 17th hole. It's a tough hole b/c there's a massive bunker that eats up a ton of real estate in the dog leg. Go right of it and you're o.b. Play left of it, which is safe and you have a challenging, lengthy approach shot. I opted for my 3iron off the tee. I aimed dead at the bunker and ripped it. The bunker was 215 yards to the front edge and 230 yards to carry it. I was playing a little cut shot and the ball cut beautifully off the bunker but left me with a rather lengthy approach of 190 yards, into the breeze, with bunkers guarding short left and right of the green. I hit the 3iron again and hit a laser! Nice penetrating flight, right between the bunkers and safely in the middle of the green. What was most impressive was what I was hitting out of. Saturated grass with standing water and the R11s just got the job done.

For those of you pondering the 3iron, I love the club. It's not a hybrid replacement for me though. It just serves a different purpose. For me, it's not as high of launching as my hybrid, but I prefer the 3iron out of the rough, when I need to flight something low, and for it's accuracy.

Great results once again TC. I know you are a good player but you seem to have really found a groove with these irons...be honest, have you ever had a stretch like this with any set of irons?
in reference to the bolded part, I'm glad to hear you say this cuz I have been afraid to really swing through a satruared area for fear of digging. Now that I know you have had good results I will swing away. Nice Info brother

They're just different. But in a good, good way. I love how petite the soles are, yet how forgiving they are as a package.

Great results once again TC. I know you are a good player but you seem to have really found a groove with these irons...be honest, have you ever had a stretch like this with any set of irons?
in reference to the bolded part, I'm glad to hear you say this cuz I have been afraid to really swing through a satruared area for fear of digging. Now that I know you have had good results I will swing away. Nice Info brother

To be honest, I have not had an iron quite like these. THe RXT's were good, really good, but I had to work to use them. A lot of that is shaft related though. These are just more forgiving and that goes a long way. The sooner I learned to just put a comfortable swing on the ball with them, as opposed to trying to "hit" the ball with them, I had that "a ha" moment with them. I still haven't had the lie angle adjusted but that's on my to do list.

To be honest, I have not had an iron quite like these. THe RXT's were good, really good, but I had to work to use them. A lot of that is shaft related though. These are just more forgiving and that goes a long way. The sooner I learned to just put a comfortable swing on the ball with them, as opposed to trying to "hit" the ball with them, I had that "a ha" moment with them. I still haven't had the lie angle adjusted but that's on my to do list.

How would you compare the forgiveness on toe hits of these compared your previous Burner 2s?

How would you compare the forgiveness on toe hits of these compared your previous Burner 2s?

Results are similar, but the feel and sound is different. I thought the 2.0's were almost painful when missing out on the toe. I don't get that sort of feeling if I hit out there with the R11s. I don't seem to be missing out on the toe with the 11s that much though.

Results are similar, but the feel and sound is different. I thought the 2.0's were almost painful when missing out on the toe. I don't get that sort of feeling if I hit out there with the R11s. I don't seem to be missing out on the toe with the 11s that much though.

Makes sense. My miss is out on the toe so I was curious. I don't find the Burner 2s harsh on toe hits (unless its pitifully missed), but that might be tied to having a different shaft in my set. I just love the lack of distance loss on mishits with the Burner 2s, so thats something I'd really look at. (I suck so I have lots of mishits)

Makes sense. My miss is out on the toe so I was curious. I don't find the Burner 2s harsh on toe hits (unless its pitifully missed), but that might be tied to having a different shaft in my set. I just love the lack of distance loss on mishits with the Burner 2s, so thats something I'd really look at. (I suck so I have lots of mishits)

If your common miss is on the toe then perhaps you should take your irons in and check them out on the lie board. You might need to have them adjusted.

Great recap buddy.......the bolded part is a fascinating observation imo. Awesome to see that one doesn't need a bigger iron in order to get forgiveness without sacrificing some playability

They're just different. But in a good, good way. I love how petite the soles are, yet how forgiving they are as a package.

Hi folks,
Had mine on the range today for the second time. Was not a particularily memorable day. Windy gusts were killing some ball flights.

I am coming to really like the extra distance I picked up with these from my TP's. The ball flight is higher for sure as I already mentioned. Yet, I still got decent distance when fighting wind, more than my regular distance with the tp's. I am really surprised at how soft these are when hit nicely. I still think the tp are a bit softer, but they do not have as powerful of a feel coming from the face. The lighter shafts in these allow me to really swing for hte fences, that could be the reason I am putting some shots way left. When struck nicely, these go straight and far. They have a really distinct metally click, its just different than what I am used too. I do like the loudness factor. Memroable shots today came from my PW. dead straight and far. I realize that these are 'jacked up', but I can say that short holes are going to get chewed up pretty nicely. I cannot comment on turf interaction as I will be hitting off mats for the next little while. I will say that I cannot wait to change these skinny little grips out. Geez, they suck big time. On a positive note, I have picked up bg time distance with these clubs. Yet, as of now, I feel I gave up some control. I will take distance right now though...

TC just caught up on your review! Holy Cow man great round especially with those conditions. Weather here has been bad. glad i have my lesson tomorrow at golftec at least ill be able to hit them for a while. planning on staying and hitting for a while afterwards just cause i miss hitting them. Prob grab some numbers if my swing isn't to messed up. I agree with the smaller soles getting through the turf better. they are a lot thinner than the 2.0s and i was worried about the club getting caught up or twisting when i first got them and havn't had any problems with that- unless i really chunk one which i tend to do on occasion. Keep up the nice rounds man its great reading that other guys are playing so well with these irons too!

Thanks bucky! I also agree with you, nothing is more satisfying than guys who are investing in these, coming in here and sharing similar thoughts to us.

I got a chance to hit these again this weekend. Was beautiful day, no wind, mid 60's. I spent most of my time just making contact and not trying to hit the ball. I really can't believe the difference between these and the Burner Plus's I had. You all keep posting more and more good info about the clubs, my thanks.

There is a dark side to these irons, the more you hit them the more you love them. The more you love them the more you want to hit them.

Thanks bucky! I also agree with you, nothing is more satisfying than guys who are investing in these, coming in here and sharing similar thoughts to us.

Thanks to honest reviews and a full blown (but decreasing) bias towards TMAG. These are bagged. I am still in somewhat of an awestruck at how far I can hit these. To honesty note- I forgot how much fun to play GI/GE irons are. Long and forgiving, and these will make up for beter days at the course.

Did any of you have a sustained break in period for these? If so, what were you noticing was the biggest adjustment? Thanks for your replies

I got a chance to hit these again this weekend. Was beautiful day, no wind, mid 60's. I spent most of my time just making contact and not trying to hit the ball. I really can't believe the difference between these and the Burner Plus's I had. You all keep posting more and more good info about the clubs, my thanks.

There is a dark side to these irons, the more you hit them the more you love them. The more you love them the more you want to hit them.

Lol, a dark side...I'll,stay on the dark side then...glad you are enjoying the love affair

Hi folks,
Had mine on the range today for the second time. Was not a particularily memorable day. Windy gusts were killing some ball flights.

I am coming to really like the extra distance I picked up with these from my TP's. The ball flight is higher for sure as I already mentioned. Yet, I still got decent distance when fighting wind, more than my regular distance with the tp's. I am really surprised at how soft these are when hit nicely. I still think the tp are a bit softer, but they do not have as powerful of a feel coming from the face. The lighter shafts in these allow me to really swing for hte fences, that could be the reason I am putting some shots way left. When struck nicely, these go straight and far. They have a really distinct metally click, its just different than what I am used too. I do like the loudness factor. Memroable shots today came from my PW. dead straight and far. I realize that these are 'jacked up', but I can say that short holes are going to get chewed up pretty nicely. I cannot comment on turf interaction as I will be hitting off mats for the next little while. I will say that I cannot wait to change these skinny little grips out. Geez, they suck big time. On a positive note, I have picked up bg time distance with these clubs. Yet, as of now, I feel I gave up some control. I will take distance right now though...

I glad you are having positive results. Make sure you synch up the arm and body and you can swing as hard as you want. But until such time try to swing a little easier and you'll get great results...glad you like them

Guys I am having withdraws from not being able to play for awhile since winter has set in. I took the PW and 7iron out in the back yard and took about 100 swings lol. These just feel so good in hand and just so natural to swing now. Its almost like they are just a extension of my arms I am getting so use to them.

I glad you are having positive results. Make sure you synch up the arm and body and you can swing as hard as you want. But until such time try to swing a little easier and you'll get great results...glad you like them

Thanks!!!
When I am all in synch and and make a nice smooth backswing. I can label these things. If not then forgiveness is the nice part. I am surprised actually by how much I don't lose on thin shots. These clubs have a nice sweet spot that is super sweet when hit pure. I can't say enough about the powerful feel off the face. It's soft too!

Thanks!!!
When I am all in synch and and make a nice smooth backswing. I can label these things. If not then forgiveness is the nice part. I am surprised actually by how much I don't lose on thin shots. These clubs have a nice sweet spot that is super sweet when hit pure. I can't say enough about the powerful feel off the face. It's soft too!

Apparently these are more forgiving top to bottom vs side to side. I asked about that and that was what I was told. Horizontal Forgivness.

Apparently these are more forgiving top to bottom vs side to side. I asked about that and that was what I was told. Horizontal Forgivness.

You really are getting to know these pretty well Tadashi! If I didn't get MB's a few months before these were actually released. I would have definitely hooked on to these. Great job on your review so far bro!

December 7, 2011
Warm and breezy 15 -20 mph out of the east
Shingle Creek Driving Range
Taylormade R11 testing
(previous irons: Srixon i701 Tours)

Today was a perfect day for golf, warm and breezy (Rummer runner, flip flops and hammock type weather) I had planned on playing today but was too busy at work to dedicate 5 hours of my day. So I stole away at lunch and headed to one of my favorite facilites in town.

I was hitting dead down wind so I knew it was going to a challenge from the start with distance control and ball flight. So after a warm up of 50yd, what seemed like chip shots with the AW, I moved 30* to the left and hit some shots at the 80 yd stick. If my hands got above my right thigh on the take away I air mailed the 80 yd flag with ease. The ball flight on both the 50 and 80 yd shots were just above flag high took one hop and stopped. My dispertion was a little eratic to say the least but the contact was crisp and clean. I could feel the ball compressing between the club face and the ground, as the sole of club moved a dull green sand and formed a perfect little rectangular divot.
The 8i was the next club to breathe fresh air and do work. I took dead aim at the 160yd flag and proceeded to hit towering fades at the right side of the target. The funny thing was that I was trying to hit a going draw but was a little over the top. I corrected my aim point and proceeded with the testing. High fade after high fade jumped off the face, comfortably sailing over the 165 yd flag. (hitting down wind)

The turf was moving out in front of the range leaving behind that pale green sand. Shallow divots all the same width and length. I checked the face of the club and I could see that 90% of the balls I was hitting were dead solid. All I know is that I took the club to the top, fire down & through and the ball was gone. By the time I looked up it was halfway to its apex and target. I shook my head several times in amazement at how easy it is too hit these club and well the perform in warm, dry, cold, still and windy conditions. But whats more impressive is the lack of penalty for miss hit shots. I'm talking fatties or belly balls but slightly off center or high on the face shots. Its like that old camera ad.....point click and shoot. The direction is dictated by the swing that is put on the clubs. If you suck it inside and fire down the line you'll get a draw, take it outside and drop it inside...fade, take back and come in steep, you'll climb the stairway to.....you get the picture.

The 5i and 3i got some love toward the end of the session. Off the deck my 5i gave me a mid ball flight with plenty of spin. The 3i was a bit lower and hit the ground running. The faces of these two clubs are just as hot as the AW and 8i just with a lower ball flight. Now this is not my usual ball flight with the 5 or 3i but they were straight and long. With limited time I did not try to adjust, but I did stick a peg in the ground and hit 5 towering 3i toward the back of the range. Mind you I was down wind but I was reaching the 250 yard flag with everyswing:alien:....sounded good but you get the point, I was hitting them long and high. I had that feeling with each of the 3i I hit off the tee. It simply feels like the ball melts off the club face and then you get this feeling all over your body, that sense of saticfaction! We have all had this feeling at one time or another. These club can't get any better, only my swing can improve.

Great write up Tadashi! Weather is 30* and has been raining for the last couple days here...sucks!

I don't think I have ever gotten to kow my clubs like this in the past. The testing has made me more of student...
You really are getting to know these pretty well Tadashi! If I didn't get MB's a few months before these were actually released. I would have definitely hooked on to these. Great job on your review so far bro!

If the cost of the R11 and Burner 2.0's were the same, which club would most prefer? Why?

If the cost of the R11 and Burner 2.0's were the same, which club would most prefer? Why?

I have not played a great deal with the burners 2.0s so I am bias toward the R11s. I can speak to the completeness of the R11s, the distance, feel, consistency but I can't compare the two fairly based on the few swings I have had the 2.0s

Back