Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Got out and played this morning in the wind and the cold....it was one of those days where the ball wasn't going very far no matter how well you hit it..it was windy, cold and the ground was wet so there was no roll either. After coming up short on the 1st 2 approach shots I had to make myself hit about 2 clubs more than normal all day long. I knew then it wasn't going to be a good scoring day....so I treated it as a chance to practice some different types of shots.

Had a decent day with the hybrids, nice mid-high ball flight, with a baby fade at the end. Almost holed out from 181 with the 4H today....the ball stopped in the jaws of the cup about 2 inches short for what turned out to be the only birdie of the day. Used the hybrids to chip a little today with limited success.....found myself hitting too much club and carrying the ball to far to start with...need to work on that some more.

Hit alot of little pitch and runs with 8 and 9 irons that were pretty good for the most part....managed to leave a couple within the leather....worked on alot of little half shots trying to keep the ball low and work it right or left.

Overall, it was a decent day just to be out hitting some great clubs and working on the game.

That pretty much sounds like my 9 hole experience today TBT. I enjoyed just getting out there without worrying about score since it was so cold and windy. We had our cart cover on and the heater going. I did manage to hit one to 3' on a par 3 with my 7 iron. What once used to be my struggle (irons) is suddenly my strength.

I'm lucky to have been given the opportunity to test these clubs. It has been such a learning experience and I have a great set of clubs in my bag. With the help of my instructor, I've recently worked out some problems with my alignment and ball position and I'm hitting these clubs better than ever.

Good updates nick and TBT, everyone is saying it over and over, smooth swing equals very good results with these clubs. And KB I know the single digit handicap is coming very soon with you hitting them better & better.

Got out today for a few holes, finally! It was cold and windy but I was able to get some work in. Only hit my hybrids a couple of times because I was hitting woods into most greens today, but what was working for me was my 7 and 8 iron, chipping. If I could putt today I would have had more than 2 pars. It's ironic that the two clubs that worked best for me today were the transitionals, which have been the toughest for me. But on 7 chips today (from anywhere from 15 yards to 50 yards), I only had 1 that was outside of ten feet, and most were within 5 feet or less. Only made one of the 5 feet or less putts all day though. The only other one I hit was a GW to 6 feet and I made the par putt.

It was a bleh day, but I was just glad to get out. The plan is to play tomorrow afternoon.

Got out today for a few holes, finally! It was cold and windy but I was able to get some work in. Only hit my hybrids a couple of times because I was hitting woods into most greens today, but what was working for me was my 7 and 8 iron, chipping. If I could putt today I would have had more than 2 pars. It's ironic that the two clubs that worked best for me today were the transitionals, which have been the toughest for me. But on 7 chips today (from anywhere from 15 yards to 50 yards), I only had 1 that was outside of ten feet, and most were within 5 feet or less. Only made one of the 5 feet or less putts all day though. The only other one I hit was a GW to 6 feet and I made the par putt.

It was a bleh day, but I was just glad to get out. The plan is to play tomorrow afternoon.

I really like chipping with all of these clubs, especially the 7I, I like to get the ball on the green and let it roll. Hope you can get out tomorrow too Smallie.

I was at the range yesterday and had the 7i and GW out for some fun. I was trying to think of how to describe what it feels like swinging the 7i and 8i as opposed to the other clubs. The more time I spend with them the more I'm realizing they're unlike any other iron I've swung. Then it hit me.. a cross between a hybrid and iron lol. Really though, I'm just finding they're such unique clubs in many ways. At address they do feel like they're less offset than even my Razr X's but yet the ball still just gets up quick.

I'm just really thankful for these clubs being in the bag. My scores have dropped (might not be 10 strokes) but I'm really feeling like I'm becoming a better golfer and these are really helping push that.

I was at the range yesterday and had the 7i and GW out for some fun. I was trying to think of how to describe what it feels like swinging the 7i and 8i as opposed to the other clubs. The more time I spend with them the more I'm realizing they're unlike any other iron I've swung. Then it hit me.. a cross between a hybrid and iron lol. Really though, I'm just finding they're such unique clubs in many ways. At address they do feel like they're less offset than even my Razr X's but yet the ball still just gets up quick.

I'm just really thankful for these clubs being in the bag. My scores have dropped (might not be 10 strokes) but I'm really feeling like I'm becoming a better golfer and these are really helping push that.

LOL, it is hard to describe the 7 & 8 in this set, I guess we do just need to remember that they are a cross between a hybrid & iron. They are super easy to hit for sure.

LOL, it is hard to describe the 7 & 8 in this set, I guess we do just need to remember that they are a cross between a hybrid & iron. They are super easy to hit for sure.

It is just so natural to assume its an iron for me because of the way it sets up and plays, but with the forgiveness of a hybrid hahaha.

Not much I can say about Saturday's round except for inconsistent across the board. I'll chalk it up to one of those days. Shot of the day though was on #9 and everyone staring at you hit shots (we were the last grouping out) I hit a 6h dead straight but since I was so hopped up from the gallery I blast it 15 yds past the green. Even Nervous said it looked good and took aim at the stick only for it to be exactly 15 yds directly behind the pin.

Tweaked my shoulder a touch digging on a par 3 tee shot and the moral of the story is that no matter how flexible your shafts and how forgiving your clubs are, if you dig heavy on a shot there's a good chance that you'll jam your shoulder. Luckily the club left unscathed and ibuprofen was readily available.

That is some kind of adrenaline rush there Spank, 15 yards long is pretty strong. Hate to hear about the shoulder, Aspercreme with heat helps me alot with those kind of nagging injuries.

That is some kind of adrenaline rush there Spank, 15 yards long is pretty strong. Hate to hear about the shoulder, Aspercreme with heat helps me alot with those kind of nagging injuries.

I'm sticking with Jack and coke with the occasional Motrin. :D

I'm sticking with Jack and coke with the occasional Motrin. :D

Dr's order, right?

It's good to hear all of you still getting out there, even Smally is able to get on the course. We are still snow covered here, but a lot melted today. We have more in the forcast, but hope it goes around us, I want to get these Adams back out there.

Temperature today was in the low 60's so I hit the course in shorts, had a very good round after a slow start. Double bogied the 1st hole and was 5 over after 6, but was only 1 over for the last 12 so carded a 78, pretty good round for me. Only used 29 putts so the short game was working really well for sure.

Hybrids - I hit all of the hybrids pretty well with the exception of the 3H which is the one I bought to add to the set, I only hit it solid once of the 3 times I used it for full shots. I imagine this would be because of my tendency to over swing this club as it is in the bag for distance, the 6, 5 & 4 hybrids performed really well, if I missed a green with them I was close enough to get up an down most times. My best shot today with a hybrid was probably the 6H on a 330 dogleg right par 4 that plays down hill, because I was able to hit the perfect baby draw off of the tee, I was only 125 out for my approach shot. I hit the 6H about 155 on flat line shots, so the draw and downhill really worked well with that shot. I did have a shot that I hit into some trees on one hole that I had an opening to the fairway but I needed to keep the ball lower than 15 feet, I played the 3H back in my stance and popped it about 100 yards to only 66 yards to the hole, good recovery but I missed the 15 foot par putt. Not the hybrids fault.
These hybrids continue to just amaze me at their ease to hit and their versatility, it is a little harder for me to work the ball from left to right and also I must really concentrate to keep it low when I need those shots, but they are shots that you can hit with these clubs.

Transitionals - The 7 & 8 are very very easy to hit, my only birdie today was on a 145 yard par 4 that I hit the 7I to about 15 feet of the hole, only putt I made out of 5 legitimate birdie putts today, so I am glad the 7I came through on this hole. I also used the 7I & 8I to chip with today on a couple of holes and I believe I got up an down each time.

Irons - Each of these clubs did their job all day, I think I hit every green on which I used these today, I don't remember missing a single green when I had one of these 3 clubs in my hand. I had a 98 yard uphill shot that I hit the gap wedge on, I could not see the ball hit the green but I was about 12 feet from the hole with the divot 4 feet closer to the hole than the ball, don't know if the ball popped back because the green was soft or the ball backed up, but it certainly did not roll out and take me farther from the hole.

Thoughts - Probably don't need to say it but these clubs are in my bag for a while, I find it so hard to believe how much better I am hitting these than I was hitting my previous set. Thank you again Adams Golf and THP for this awesome testing opportunity.

I played 18 today without keeping score and hit the Adams clubs really well. I had one shot today that I had to draw around some trees because I had landed on the left side of the fairway and the pin was on the left side of the green. I first hit a 9 iron with a nice draw but it was short. I decided to hit another shot with an 8 iron to see if I could pull it off. I hit the perfect high draw around the trees and the ball hit the green and stopped in its tracks 1' from the cup. I had another tricky shot on the very next hole and hit a 9 iron with a baby draw around some tree limbs and made birdie after landing just 5' from the flag.

Of course, those shots were the exception and not the rule but I'm really loving these irons and hybrids!! My normal shot is straight but I can pull off a draw when needed. I agree with DD that a fade and low shot are the two shots I'm less likely to pull off with these clubs.

I'm still practicing on a mat like my instructor wants. I put impact tape on the face of my 9 iron, draw a line on the third line from the bottom and try to center the ball on that line. It's really helping me to get better with my ball striking. Here's my tape from today's session.

Video200425-06.jpg

That is some good shot making and also some good ball striking, that impact tape looks like it is really helping you with your contact KB. Good going lady.

Great job DD and KB...gotta love when you envision a certain shot, put a good swing on the ball and it comes out just like you saw it in your head!

Great job DD and KB...gotta love when you envision a certain shot, put a good swing on the ball and it comes out just like you saw it in your head!

I love that feeling. Its also nice that when it doesn't go as planned your not dropping a stroke and reaching in your pocket because of your forgiving clubs.

Great follow ups DD and KB!

I tapped Siri

Temperature today was in the low 60's so I hit the course in shorts, had a very good round after a slow start. Double bogied the 1st hole and was 5 over after 6, but was only 1 over for the last 12 so carded a 78, pretty good round for me. Only used 29 putts so the short game was working really well for sure.

Hybrids - I hit all of the hybrids pretty well with the exception of the 3H which is the one I bought to add to the set, I only hit it solid once of the 3 times I used it for full shots. I imagine this would be because of my tendency to over swing this club as it is in the bag for distance, the 6, 5 & 4 hybrids performed really well, if I missed a green with them I was close enough to get up an down most times. My best shot today with a hybrid was probably the 6H on a 330 dogleg right par 4 that plays down hill, because I was able to hit the perfect baby draw off of the tee, I was only 125 out for my approach shot. I hit the 6H about 155 on flat line shots, so the draw and downhill really worked well with that shot. I did have a shot that I hit into some trees on one hole that I had an opening to the fairway but I needed to keep the ball lower than 15 feet, I played the 3H back in my stance and popped it about 100 yards to only 66 yards to the hole, good recovery but I missed the 15 foot par putt. Not the hybrids fault.
These hybrids continue to just amaze me at their ease to hit and their versatility, it is a little harder for me to work the ball from left to right and also I must really concentrate to keep it low when I need those shots, but they are shots that you can hit with these clubs.

Transitionals - The 7 & 8 are very very easy to hit, my only birdie today was on a 145 yard par 4 that I hit the 7I to about 15 feet of the hole, only putt I made out of 5 legitimate birdie putts today, so I am glad the 7I came through on this hole. I also used the 7I & 8I to chip with today on a couple of holes and I believe I got up an down each time.

Irons - Each of these clubs did their job all day, I think I hit every green on which I used these today, I don't remember missing a single green when I had one of these 3 clubs in my hand. I had a 98 yard uphill shot that I hit the gap wedge on, I could not see the ball hit the green but I was about 12 feet from the hole with the divot 4 feet closer to the hole than the ball, don't know if the ball popped back because the green was soft or the ball backed up, but it certainly did not roll out and take me farther from the hole.

Thoughts - Probably don't need to say it but these clubs are in my bag for a while, I find it so hard to believe how much better I am hitting these than I was hitting my previous set. Thank you again Adams Golf and THP for this awesome testing opportunity.

Glad to hear your game is looking good Dawg! I know you talked to me quite a bit about this set when we had a round. Glad to see they keep getting better for you.

Glad to hear your game is looking good Dawg! I know you talked to me quite a bit about this set when we had a round. Glad to see they keep getting better for you.

Thanks buddy, glad to read that your game is coming around nicely too, hope to get to tee it up again with you again some time.

I played 18 today without keeping score and hit the Adams clubs really well. I had one shot today that I had to draw around some trees because I had landed on the left side of the fairway and the pin was on the left side of the green. I first hit a 9 iron with a nice draw but it was short. I decided to hit another shot with an 8 iron to see if I could pull it off. I hit the perfect high draw around the trees and the ball hit the green and stopped in its tracks 1' from the cup. I had another tricky shot on the very next hole and hit a 9 iron with a baby draw around some tree limbs and made birdie after landing just 5' from the flag.

Of course, those shots were the exception and not the rule but I'm really loving these irons and hybrids!! My normal shot is straight but I can pull off a draw when needed. I agree with DD that a fade and low shot are the two shots I'm less likely to pull off with these clubs.

I'm still practicing on a mat like my instructor wants. I put impact tape on the face of my 9 iron, draw a line on the third line from the bottom and try to center the ball on that line. It's really helping me to get better with my ball striking. Here's my tape from today's session.

Nice update KB!!!!!!!! I love, love impact tape for taking a look at my ball striking.

Very nice round and recovery. So nice that you can rely on these clubs and good to hear they're staying in the bag!

Nice job Kelly and DD. These just keep getting it done and mine might too if the ground was clear, lol. Keep bringing it for us!

Will do Due. Temps in low 70s this week!

Played in our weekly blitz today and hit the clubs very well, shot a 77 with 3 ugly doubles, but also had 4 birdies so the doubles were less painful than usual. The irons (all of them) were spot on today and I even chipped in for birdie from 35' with a 7 iron and from 20' with a PW, I don't remember ever chipping in twice in the same round before. I also stuck a 3H to less than 2' on an up hill par 3 that measures about 185 but plays uphill to about 205, that was my best shot of the day. I am so enjoying these clubs.

Played in our weekly blitz today and hit the clubs very well, shot a 77 with 3 ugly doubles, but also had 4 birdies so the doubles were less painful than usual. The irons (all of them) were spot on today and I even chipped in for birdie from 35' with a 7 iron and from 20' with a PW, I don't remember ever chipping in twice in the same round before. I also stuck a 3H to less than 2' on an up hill par 3 that measures about 185 but plays uphill to about 205, that was my best shot of the day. I am so enjoying these clubs.

Wow, nice round DD and two chip in's, very cool. That 3h shot sounds like money!

Awesome! I don't know if I want to play against you tomorrow or not!!! You're on fire right now.

Back