Thanks for the great advice. Much easier to get it adjusted in my driveway.
Sorry to hear about your spill, hope all is well. It's like hitting one out of bounds, if you're gonna ride the bike, at some point you're gonna have a spill. Hopefully they won't be bad. My worst one was when two dogs were after me .... after the crash I was so mad I was ready to KILL the fricking dog !!! The one that caused the crash, I guess they knew it, cause when I looked for them, they were LONG GONE sondahounds anyway !!!

Hope that light works out for you, I am not familar with that brand..

IF it has an adjustment on it, where you can tilt it up/down. Do this: at your house, at the curb, or someplace where you have some room. Have someone sit in a car parked about 50 - 70 feet behind your bike. After you attach your light to the seat post, or mounting point, turn the light on, then swivel it up and down until the person in the car tells you at what point they can see it best.

Also at this time you can try the different FLASHING MODES and ask them which one they can see the best.

Thanks !!

I can tell you this ... or I could tell you A LOT about this bike and bikes of this type, let me just say a couple of things

1) it's harder to ride than a traditional bike, especially when you first begin to learn on it
2) there are different types of bikes like this, some are easier to ride than others
3) ALL of the bikes of this type, IMO, are FAR FAR more comfortable than traditional bikes
4) These bikes are called RECUMBENTS
5) Once you go bent, you never go back
6) I started riding bent because I LOVE long distance riding, and multi day/week long trips. Due to an injury resulting in a bike crash I could no longer ride traditional bikes for more than about 50 miles without a lot of pain, so the switch to bents seemed to be the way to go. As it turned out, I often say, I shoulda got BENT YEARS AGO :laughing:
7) these bikes are heavier than traditional bikes
8) these bikes are FASTER on the downhill and flats than traditional bikes, but slower climbing hills
9) these bikes have a WOW FACTOR
10) these bikes are a BLAST TO RIDE !!!!

Love My Bent :)

Got a new road bike from the wife for Christmas, a Specialized Allez. Today was the first actual ride I got with it, did a quick 12 mile loop. Some strong winds heading north, but the ride back was much easier with the wind at my back. Have a ride for the Tour de Cure this Spring that my Father-in-Laws bike shop is participating in, it's a fund raiser so there are different distances to go, 5,10,31,62 and 100 miles. Right now the team I am riding with is for the 62 miler, but plan to work hard and get moved to the 100 mile team. 5 months, and a good training routine and I hope to be able to do it.

War Eagle - what a great way to get into better shape in addition to the other stuff you are doing! Best of luck with the fundraiser, looking forward to hearing how it goes at either 62 or 100 miles!

Tappin' from CM's iPad!

Thanks MC! I am excited about this, love having a goal to set my sights on.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Good stuff WE. I think I want to get a bike before I go to college. A much easier way to travel around campus. And good excercise.

I had one when I was in school. The parking was a good ways from the buildings so biking was much easier.

It made for a quick and easy way to get around campus

I had one when I was in school. The parking was a good ways from the buildings so biking was much easier.

It made for a quick and easy way to get around campus

Yeah it sounds great. There's no chance of me getting a car, so it's a bike or walking. I'll take a bike.

In that case, it sure as heck beats walking.

I didnt know ther was a cycling thread!

Im about to start a winter training series here in Seattle. 1 ride every saturday, the first one is this saturday and is 30 miles. I want to work up to doing a double century this year, hopefully this training series will help me get there.

As for my opinions on bikes.....STEEL IS REAL!

I didnt know ther was a cycling thread!

Im about to start a winter training series here in Seattle. 1 ride every saturday, the first one is this saturday and is 30 miles. I want to work up to doing a double century this year, hopefully this training series will help me get there.

As for my opinions on bikes.....STEEL IS REAL!

Keep me updated on this! That sounds awesome!

Thinking about getting a road bike since my manager is hardcore into riding.

Considering getting a Cervelo since they are one of the nicest looking bikes on the road. This deal is also nice if anyone is in the market. http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/share-the-ride/

From my experience, it is very difficult to be proficient at both cycling and golf simultaneously. Not only do they both require a lot of time, but also cycling can wear your legs out in ways that are detrimental to your golf swing. I suppose people younger than 40 might not experience quite the same physical limitations.

I used to be a competitive mountain biker, but training enough to compete for the podium in 100 mile MTB races left no time at all for golf. Now that I'm back into golf, I'm not even sure I could complete a 100 mile mountain bike ride.

Keep me updated on this! That sounds awesome!

Will do! It is going to be wet and cold, so hopefully those endorphins kick in quickly.

This will be my trusty steed for all my long rides this year...
DSC02336.jpg

Congrats guys, it's a great way to keep in shape. I actually just sold my road bike to a friend, very little time to ride lately and using my spare time for golf. Make sure you guys stick to the bike paths or trails as riding on the street can be dangerous, always wear your helmet and stay close to the white lines. Good luck and have fun.

Paths or trails are good for beginner bikers and yes, roads can be dangerous. But riding on them for experienced bikers is even more dangerous IMHO. If you ride witha partner and are comfortable with your skills, you should be on the streets and not on the sidewalk or a bike lane. I was and still am an avid biker (more-so the former, 5 bikes; 2 tri, 1 road, 1 cross, 2 MTB) and they cost more than i'd like to admit :| Biking is a great way to get and stay in shape, Nothing better than the open road and the wind in your face! Have fun and stay safe!

Paths or trails are good for beginner bikers and yes, roads can be dangerous. But riding on them for experienced bikers is even more dangerous IMHO. If you ride witha partner and are comfortable with your skills, you should be on the streets and not on the sidewalk or a bike lane. I was and still am an avid biker (more-so the former, 5 bikes; 2 tri, 1 road, 1 cross, 2 MTB) and they cost more than i'd like to admit :| Biking is a great way to get and stay in shape, Nothing better than the open road and the wind in your face! Have fun and stay safe!

Agreed. In Seattle anyway, the bike paths are multi-use paths and i would much rather be on a street than a path with joggers, cyclists, dog walkers etc. all going different speeds. The streets are definitely scary at first, but with education and experience the street is actually a pretty safe place to ride. And yes, watchout for bike lanes on the road, if you're in a city they are usually in the parking lane and the number 1 car/bike accident is a cyclist getting doored. Not awesome.

Just got back from a 10 mile ride, would have loved to go longer but the 45* made it a bit chilly!

For those in to cycling, I found a pretty cool app in the App Store yesterday (available for Android and iOS, not sure of blackberry). It's called MapMyRide, and it's a GPS app that routes your ride (or run), gives you time, distance, pace, etc. Has a ton of cool features and it's Free! There is a paid version, but I havent found the need to upgrade to the $1.99 paid app.

For those in to cycling, I found a pretty cool app in the App Store yesterday (available for Android and iOS, not sure of blackberry). It's called MapMyRide, and it's a GPS app that routes your ride (or run), gives you time, distance, pace, etc. Has a ton of cool features and it's Free! There is a paid version, but I havent found the need to upgrade to the $1.99 paid app.

Sweet, thanks! im gonna try this out today.

Had a good 12 mile ride this evening, slowly getting my time down to where I want it to be. Found a good area/loop that is 2.2 miles close to downtown that is on my normal route that makes it easy to extend my ride without having to go to heaver traffic areas. Still have no clue why someone in a big SUV feels the need to intentionally get close to me in the bike lane as they pass me.

Run, what shop do you go to? I live in Gladstone and want to get a bike, but had to wait til after the first of the year, so now i'm starting my look a bit more seriously. Doubt I will be able to get anything in a shop tho, as they are are all fairly well out of my price range. But always looking for advice on a good shop anyway.

Got a new road bike from the wife for Christmas, a Specialized Allez. Today was the first actual ride I got with it, did a quick 12 mile loop. Some strong winds heading north, but the ride back was much easier with the wind at my back. Have a ride for the Tour de Cure this Spring that my Father-in-Laws bike shop is participating in, it's a fund raiser so there are different distances to go, 5,10,31,62 and 100 miles. Right now the team I am riding with is for the 62 miler, but plan to work hard and get moved to the 100 mile team. 5 months, and a good training routine and I hope to be able to do it.

Kansas City has one of these, and, as long as I can get my hands on a bike this year, my goal is to start doing our ride every year, starting next year. My fairly recent diagnosis led me to finding out about the ride around here. Since my father starting riding last year, once I get my bike, he and I are going to start training for next year's ride.

I've just pulled my mountain bike out from my basement. I've decided that I want to get properly into shape again. When I was younger I used to ride in mountain bike championships and competitions. It was pretty fun. I was never much good, always finished mid field but was still an excellent way to keep in shape. I got a new bike about 2 years ago but rarely used it so I've decided that I'm going to get fit on it starting tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see some improvement in other aspects of my life once I start getting fitter including my golfing.

Kansas City has one of these, and, as long as I can get my hands on a bike this year, my goal is to start doing our ride every year, starting next year. My fairly recent diagnosis led me to finding out about the ride around here. Since my father starting riding last year, once I get my bike, he and I are going to start training for next year's ride.
Thats awesome! I tell you, people that ride are REALLY in to it. I would say it's similar to us here at THP, its an addicting sport, so I can see why. Good luck with your riding!

I've just pulled my mountain bike out from my basement. I've decided that I want to get properly into shape again. When I was younger I used to ride in mountain bike championships and competitions. It was pretty fun. I was never much good, always finished mid field but was still an excellent way to keep in shape. I got a new bike about 2 years ago but rarely used it so I've decided that I'm going to get fit on it starting tomorrow. Hopefully I'll see some improvement in other aspects of my life once I start getting fitter including my golfing.
This is something I would love to do. Off road / mountain biking sounds like it would be challenging and fun. I just need to find those Florida mountains. :D

Back