JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
GG and I have taken on a new hobby for getting into shape and that is cycling. We went out and got 2 bikes and got a full education on how much has changed. I mean I have not been riding much in the last 20 years and man oh man has the quality changed. Two nice bikes later and a commitment to ride twice a week and I think my goals should be met by outing time.

We went with 2 Giant bikes that were hybrids. For those like me that dont know, a hybrid is a cross between a road bike and mountain bike. Ours are considered on the road side of things based on tire size and thickness.

Which Giants did you go with? I have one as well, the Wife has a Specialized.

Edit: I have a Giant TCR 2, road bike.

Good luck to both of you! That is a great way to get into shape. My parents both have giant bikes.

• Admin
Which Giants did you go with? I have one as well, the Wife has a Specialized.

Edit: I have a Giant TCR 2, road bike.

I went with the 2012 Escape 1
She went with the white and pink one...hehe (seriously hers is souped up more on the hybrid, than road side).

Hope the cycling works for you guys!

I have the Cypress and I am not sure what JB has.

Nice bicycle. My inlaws own two Cycling shops down here, never in my life did I think there was so much to know about bikes.

It's been over 16 years since I have been on a bike. The saying is 90% true that you never forget, however, I am struggling to turn ha.

GG and I have taken on a new hobby for getting into shape and that is cycling. We went out and got 2 bikes and got a full education on how much has changed. I mean I have not been riding much in the last 20 years and man oh man has the quality changed. Two nice bikes later and a commitment to ride twice a week and I think my goals should be met by outing time.

We went with 2 Giant bikes that were hybrids. For those like me that dont know, a hybrid is a cross between a road bike and mountain bike. Ours are considered on the road side of things based on tire size and thickness.

Nicely done, man. I love to cycle. I often ride in Chicago, which is a full-contact sport. I ride to work on occasion and often ride to the range with a Sunday-type bag.

I ride Trek but have seen some pretty nice Giants. I would imagine that there are some pretty nice areas to cycle in your neck of the woods.

Glad to hear that you are starting on a new awesome hobby.

I'm sure this is going to be great for you guys and i know you will reach your goals JB. I just don't want to see any pics of you in full spandex with one of those speed helmets.

I went with the 2012 Escape 1
She went with the white and pink one...hehe (seriously hers is souped up more on the hybrid, than road side).

Giant makes the 2012 Escape 1 that is all white, almost completely "ghosted." It is an awesome looking bicycle.

Nice bicycle. My inlaws own two Cycling shops down here, never in my life did I think there was so much to know about bikes.

We didn't know either. We went in there looking for an education and the guy could have talked for hours explaining about different bikes. It was a lot to absorb. I also had no idea how expensive bikes can be. The guy said they can go up to 15K, that's crazy!

I know, who knew there was so much.

Nicely done, man. I love to cycle. I often ride in Chicago, which is a full-contact sport. I ride to work on occasion and often ride to the range with a Sunday-type bag.

I ride Trek but have seen some pretty nice Giants. I would imagine that there are some pretty nice areas to cycle in your neck of the woods.

Glad to hear that you are starting on a new awesome hobby.

My last bike two decades ago was a Trek. Good bike and I thought about another one, but this one was calling me. We are fortunate because there are multiple cycling trails throughout the Tampa Bay area that go for EVER.

Good for you guys, cycling is great for the legs and lungs without a ton of impact. Happy trail (riding).

That's awesome JB and GG! I ride to work over 90% of the time, except for when the weather is too bad up here. It's only about a mile and a half, so I can do that ride in less than 10 minutes if the traffic lights work out. I don't get to go on long rides as often as I want, but it's a great way to get exercise and so much easier on your knees than running. I've got a Trek 3900 hybrid bike that is great. One thing you will love about the hybrid bikes is that you can take them on the beach if you go to Tampa or someplace else in Florida where there is a beach.

I'd say that riding in Boston is probably a full-contact sport as well. I'm sure this will also apply to Chicago: I have a summer helmet and a winter helmet. The winter helmet has an insulated liner and has flaps that come down over my ears to keep them warm.

We didn't know either. We went in there looking for an education and the guy could have talked for hours explaining about different bikes. It was a lot to absorb. I also had no idea how expensive bikes can be. The guy said they can go up to 15K, that's crazy!

Yeah, when you start getting in to the one piece, no weld frames, ultra light, etc etc etc they get crazy expensive. I swear, serious cyclists are like a cult, they are crazy into it. Now that our daughter is a bit older, we are able do some very nice bike rides up Long Boat Key, about a 40 mile ride. It's nice, great workout.

Good luck guys. Cycling is a great work out and can be enjoyable. I used to mountain bike quite a bit when I was younger and have been thinking about getting back into it.

Yeah, when you start getting in to the one piece, no weld frames, ultra light, etc etc etc they get crazy expensive. I swear, serious cyclists are like a cult, they are crazy into it. Now that our daughter is a bit older, we are able do some very nice bike rides up Long Boat Key, about a 40 mile ride. It's nice, great workout.

We did 4.5 miles today and that seemed like a lot. How long did it take you to get to 40 miles?

Good for you guys. I used to bike a 10 mile loop every day, but stopped about a year ago when my bike broke. Never got a new one and started up again. I feel super lazy so you guys may have just inspired me to start up again.

Ive been riding off and on for 3 years, when I first got in to it it took me about 6 months to be able to do the full ride on Long Boat Key (right under 40 miles, my wife who is in much better shape than I can do it with ease). This is the perfect time of the year to get in to it as well, not nearly as miserably hot as it is in the Summer.

That's great that you guy's can get into cycling; I started a few years ago after some knee and back injury's keep me from running; it's a great low impact way to keep in shape.

WE is right, cycling is like a cult group that many can get really into and you would be amazed at the cost and level of technology that goes into some of these things.

Ive been riding off and on for 3 years, when I first got in to it it took me about 6 months to be able to do the full ride on Long Boat Key (right under 40 miles, my wife who is in much better shape than I can do it with ease). This is the perfect time of the year to get in to it as well, not nearly as miserably hot as it is in the Summer.

I think it will be like running. When I first started I couldn't run for more than 2 minutes straight without feeling like I was going to die, then after time I got up to 5 miles a day. I couldn't do that now, but that's because I am terribly out of shape again. Hopefully we can work up to doing long distance rides. Especially once I mastering turning, I am still pretty rusty with that.

I used to be huge in to cycling. I gave it up for golf. HAHA That is awesome that y'all picked up some bikes. I think you can get up to 10 miles before you know it. That would be a good ride with hybrid bikes. I think when you get over 15 miles you would want to move to more of a road bike. Lots of fun and cyclist can be a cult. Similar to golfers. Good luck and be safe.

When is JB getting in to the spandex?

I think it will be like running. When I first started I couldn't run for more than 2 minutes straight without feeling like I was going to die, then after time I got up to 5 miles a day. I couldn't do that now, but that's because I am terribly out of shape again. Hopefully we can work up to doing long distance rides. Especially once I mastering turning, I am still pretty rusty with that.

That would be great. It's awesome to see others with such a high work ethic (especially because I don't have one). Keep us tuned in to your progression!

I am not a runner...at all, but my wife will go running for miles and says it doesnt phase her a bit. With cycling, I guess its similar you just get in to a zone after a while and seems like you can ride for days.

Back