Forum Testing Signup - Ping i20 Irons

Awesome testing going to be going on here! Thanks THP and Ping for an awesome review opportunity. I can't guarentee I can play in the next two weeks after today. So, I will have to bow out of this one. Man I hate NW OHIO. I need to move south!

Love love love seeing Ping jump in here @ THP.

1. What is your handicap? 10
2. What irons do you currently play? Adams Redline
3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? Yes and last season.
4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? Consistency in gaps and feel, accuracy, minimal punishment if I miss a little
5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? This time last year, no way. However, this winter has been extremely mild. I've been out 7 times since the holidays and that is unheard of where I live. Yes, I can and will be on the course within the next 2 weeks.

Thank you Ping and THP!

1. What is your handicap? 3

2. What irons do you currently play? Kzg II-m forged

3. Have you ever been fit for you irons and if so how long ago? Current clubs were fitted 3.5 years ago

4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? Looks, playability, feel, forgiveness. I tend to play with irons for awhile and try to buy for long term. I therefore try to hit lots of options over weeks/months

5. Are you capable of playing on actual glf courses with real grass with the next 2 weeks? Yes

1. What is your handicap?

I finished last season as a 19 GHIN, and should have enough rounds for a 2012 handicap within the next week or so.

2. What irons do you currently play?

Nike Machspeed SQ 4-AW with True Tember Dynalite 90 Stiff Steel shafts. Stock lie & angle.

3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago?

I have not. However, a new golf fitting shop just opened near my house. They use a simiar business model as GolfTEC (they're actually called "GolfETC") and carry a nice lineup of brands, including Bridgestone, Boccieri, Yes!, and Cleveland. I stopped by last week to have them put a jumbo grip on my putter, and ended up chatting with them for half an hour. I definitely plan to conduct a "complete bag" fitting with them this spring.

4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons?

I'm in the middle of a 5-lesson pack with a pro at my local course, and have already noticed much more consistency (at least in the left/right dispersion sense) with my mid and short irons. I have also figured out that my current irons, while quite long, seem to lack in feel or feedback compared with other sets that I have recently hit.

In the past, I looked for distance on mis-hits and overall length when deciding on irons. Now that I'm becoming a better striker of the ball, my priorities have shifted to desiring a 'buttery' feel on well struck balls and useful feedback on mis-hits. I know that it shouldn't matter what my clubs look like, but I find myself also wanting to move away from the chunky toplines and technologies for getting the ball into the air. Lately, I've been attracted to more of a "players" type of iron like the i20, the Titleist AP2, and those sexy Bridgestone J40 DPCs.

5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks?

I am indeed. Unless it snows tomorrow, I will be playing Friday and Sunday this week at the local course. One daylight savings starts up in a couple of weeks, I plan to resume my typical schedule of 2 9-hole rounds on weekday afternoons as well.

Thanks for the opportunity!

1. What is your handicap? 7
2. What irons do you currently play? Ping S56 - 1.5" long - Maroon+ lie - Project X 6.5 Flighted X-Stiff shafts - Ping ID8 1/16" oversize + two wraps grip tape
3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? Yes by Ping - Two years ago
4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? Feel, consistency, look, confidence
5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? Absolutely! I live in southern AZ

Thank you to THP and Ping for this opportunity! :)

Would LOVE to test the i20

Answers:
1:Handicap? 30

2:Currently Play Ping G20

3: Fitted about 3 weeks ago.

4: I look for an iron that will accentuate my game. I want that will help with playability, but not be completely in the "game improvement" category. I want to be slightly punished for mishits, but not completely punished.

5:I have a round on Sunday the 26th. I also play atleast once per week and hit the range twice per week. With these clubs, I would probably play 2-3 rounds with them and hit the range a few extra times as well.

I am in Phoenix, AZ and I am right-handed.

San Antonio, the place for a Ping I20 test

San Antonio, the place for a Ping I20 test

Another great opportunity to test a hot set of irons, Thanks THP & PING Golf.

1. What is your handicap? 9.9
2. What irons do you currently play? TaylorMade Burner Plus
3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? No.
4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? Fool feel, looks, longer
than my current set and forgiveness with off center hits.
5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? Yes, all the courses in my area are grass and turning green.

:ping: and :thp: bringing it! oowee! I'm totally excited to see how this testing plays out.:tremble:

1. What is your handicap? I need to start officially tracking rounds again but I usually play to about a 17/18.

2006 Big Bertha Irons uniflex shafts

I was - I went through multiple fitters back in 2006/2007 when I purchased my current irons. Ultimately I went with the fitter who took the time to explain the tests during the process. I will never buy another set of irons without getting fit. And back then, fitting wasn't nearly as in-depth or as technical as it is now.

Performance. They don't have to be the prettiest girls at the dance, as long as they can swing. I would like my next set of irons to help maximize my current game and give me space to improve and eventually work the ball a little - but never at the detriment of having great scoring clubs (7-pw). I almost forgot - super important to have the shaft fit your swing. I cannot stress how much this understanding will be part of my future golf purchases.

5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks?
Yup! Lots of courses by me: 9, 18, long, short, hilly, flat. Between lessons and wanting to improve my game, I'll be out quite a bit.

Last edited:
1. What is your handicap: 10
2. What irons do you currently play: Ping i5 Blk dot 4-pw
3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago: I have not been fit
4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons: Feel and workability are key
5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks: Absolutely

What an Opportunity
Brett R.

Great googily moogily. I've been reading up on these irons. Haven't hit them (or any other irons), as I just bought mine last year and couldn't justify another purchase so soon. Whoever is selected is in for a treat!

1. What is your handicap? Got down to just over 18 at the end of last summer. Haven't been keeping up with it in the offseason though.

2. What irons do you currently play? Cleveland CG16 BP

3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? Was fitted last spring for the irons I'm playing now. 2˚ upright, plus 1".

4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? A mix of things. Appealing to the eyes and a good feel when holding them. That is completely subjective though. No logical factors, just what suits me personally. Performance wise, I look for accuracy above all else. Followed by feel, distance and forgiveness.

5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? Weather permitting, absolutely. It's been a mild winter so far, and I'm hoping it stays that way! :D I also have access to grass ranges at some courses near by.

Big thanks to :thp: and :ping: for yet another awesome testing opportunity. Good luck everyone!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. 7.0[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. 2009 TM Burners, R Flex[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. We bought my Burners just over two years ago and I was not fit for them. Recently found out they were regular flex when I should be fit for Stiff to even X-stiff in my irons.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. In buying irons I would look for good distance without sacrificing forgiveness, but mainly an iron I am confident in hitting consistent
[/FONT]5. Yes as my local range is pure grass and none of the courses around my area are closed.

Thanks to Ping Golf and THP for this opportunity!

1. What is your handicap? oob 15.2

2. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP-30 DG-S300 3-PW

3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? I was static fit 2 years ago by my local PGA pro to stiff shafts and a certain length and lie, but would love to get refit since I've had swing changes over the last two years.

4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? Workability, consistency in yardages from club to club, look at address and shaft options.

5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? Yes. My local driving ranges are grass and I typically play 9-18 once a week weather dependent.

I'll be playing with a bunch of THPers in March and April. Would be awesome to let everyone get a swing with these.

Thanks THP and Ping!

Last edited:
1. My current handicap is an 18.
2. My current irons are Ben Hogan Apex Edge Forged. I have been searching for new irons, but have yet to find anything that feels as nice as these old clubs do.
3. I was fit in spring of 2010 for Mizuno JPX 800 irons. I later sold them as I didn't care for their feel.
4. My biggest concern upon trying irons is the feel upon impact, as I currently play forged Hogans that are rather soft. I prefer to tryout any clubs on grass vs. mats or inside. Second would be sales staff. If they act lost when you ask questions chances are they are.
5. Yes, I can in fact play in the next 2 weeks due to our mild winter here in Central IL.

Thank you THP for this opportunity! KCM

Unofficial (oob) handicap 18.4 usually shoot mid 80's

Current irons maltby ke4 tour 4-pw fst 125 x-flex

Yes, November 2011 local pro. +1.25 1.5* flat

Feel, consistency through the set, looks thin top line minimal offset, workable long irons accurate short irons.

Yes, all the courses and ranges here have been open all winter.

Thanks THP and ping for another great opportunity! Good luck to all potential testers!

Great opportunity by PING and THP! Looking forward to all the reviews. Been reading the current Ping I20 forum and am really excited for this.

1. What is your handicap? - 17
2. What irons do you currently play? - Callaway Razr x forged
3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? - Twice, last season and three years ago.
4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? - Forgiveness but still having a traditional look, nice sound and feel of the ball on the club face.
5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? - Yes.

What a great opportunity... I wish the weather up here was a little more predictable. While I received four emails over the last two days about courses being opened... it could still snow or get very cold at any minute. I look forward to reading the reviews of these irons.

1. What is your handicap? - 12

2. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MP53's

3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? I have been fit for irons. It's been approximately 2.5 years ago.

4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? Consistency. I don't care if irons are so hot that one companies PW can fly further than another companies 8 iron. I need to know exactly how far my irons will go every time I swing it. I don't need a surprising nuke once or twice a round. That being said, I like a sharp, clean, non-busy looking iron. I am not a fan of today's Nascar looking irons with all the orange, green and flashy graphics. This is worse than having a driver that is so loud that it can be heard from three tee boxes away.

5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? Yes. My golf season has already started. If it's 40 degrees and dry, I'm out on the course. (With the help of a cart cover and a propane heater, of course.)

1. What is your handicap? I shoot in the mid to high 90s consistently, 25.
2. What irons do you currently play? 2.0 burners.
3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? yes, last summer.
4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? forgiving, hight, lenght, turf interaction as I like to dig a little.
5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? yes, I have played 2 to 3 times per week for like the last 14 months.

What a great opprotunity for some THP members! I really look forward to hearing about these, these are definitely an iron that would be right up my alley. Can't wait to hear the feedback as well as how they stack up against other irons in its class. Way to go THP and PING, this is an amazing opportunity for us!

Wow! Very cool of Ping on this one.

1. What is your handicap? - 14.7
2. What irons do you currently play? - Nike VR Pro Combo's.
3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? - Yes, about a year ago.
4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? - Feel, turf interaction and most importantly, accuracy.
5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? - Yes. It's on and off wet but still great PNW weather to play in.

Wow, what an incredible opportunity. I am in a state of shock and awe right now. Thank you PING and THP, and good luck to all of the forum members. I have a feeling this testing will be followed closely by a lot of people.

1. What is your handicap? 12

2. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade RBZ irons

3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? Yes, Early January 2012

4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? Soon, I do not like the RBZ irons..

5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? Yes..

Thanks for another great opportunity and good luck to all

1. What is your handicap? - 19
2. What irons do you currently play? - Titleist 735 cb
3. Have you ever been fit for your irons and if so how long ago? - no.
4. What do you look for when purchasing a new set of irons? - feel and look.
5. Are you capable of playing on actual golf courses with real grass within the next 2 weeks? - Yes. I play about once a week.

TaylorMade Burner 2.0
Yes - August 2011
Look, feel, forgiveness
Absolutely

Back