Your favorite irons from the last 3 years?

Wilson Staff Di11's of course for me

The Di11's came out of nowhere for me and I love them. The looks of a game enhancement set but with unbelievable forgiveness.

VR Pro Combos were amazing looking and still not too difficult to get the most out of. My first combo set and I believe this is the future of iron sets.

The i20's are incredible. Still in the honeymoon phase but dayum they are sweet. Ping's best iron IMO

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

I don't know about the last 3 years per se but I really like the Nike VR Pro Combos (I still game them), Titleist CB's, and I really like the looks and sounds of the J40s and 588 CBs (haven't seen either in person).

I'm not referring to the DPCs. Whether or not they are they play like a blade for me.
If theres a cavity, theyre not blades no matter if they play like a blade for you or not.

If theres a cavity, theyre not blades no matter if they play like a blade for you or not.

PING calls their s56 a blade and it has a cavity. Some call the MP-59 a blade. In my opinion, a blade could be a wide variety of irons. I use the term muscleback for the cavity-free blades that you're referring to.

Adams Redline. Ping I20s could change that, we'll see.

Blades: Adams MB2, Mizuno MP-69, TM TP MB, J40

Game enhancement: Mizuno MP-59, Razr X Tour, i20

Game Improvement: Razr X HL, Cobra AMP, RBZ

SGI: Razr XF, K15, JPX-800 HD
You've played all of these for a long enough time to consider them a favorite? Or are you basing it off something else?

I had two sets in the last 3 years but I have hit a few different OEMs. I'd have go with the Taylormade R11s as the best all around iron I have hit. If you're looking for forged I would have to say the Bridgestone J40 shines right through

My favorite iron sets are ones that I've only hit a few times since I've only gamed one set in the past few year. I'd say the TM MC's or Nike VR Pro Combos. But that's only based on a few swings.

Based on no swings, W/S FG Tour V2.

Tm TP Forged MC irons for me, but this is really the only iron I have hit in the last year.

I absolutely cant wait to my J40 dpc irons. The J38 irons might be the best feeling irons I have ever hit with the few swings I took with them at the THP Outing.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

@ the moment im going to say tm burners 1.0 but im looking to change my irons in may for my birthday so i will keep an eye on this thread with interest

You've played all of these for a long enough time to consider them a favorite? Or are you basing it off something else?

I've hit each one a few dozen times. Could a two month period with each iron change it? Probably. But this is what it is now.

R9 TP's. They're the only other irons besides my own that I have played 5+ rounds with. Really wish I had the money to purchase them from the pro at the course I worked at. So much more forgiving than they look.

G20's, and fitted perfect to my ugly @ss swing haha...

with a +.8 handicap you're a great golfer and you need to go with what fits you and your game. I think mizunos are the very best in forged irons ,( which of course you should be playing) look at their different sets and try before buying, they make an excellent forged blade with just a slight cavity back.

I agree Mizuno does a great job with forged irons (currently playing Mizuno MP-37's). However, I would never say I "should be playing forged irons" just because of my handicap...yes, I can handle them, but I don't know that it is really a necessity.

My current dilemma is deciding if I would like the added forgiveness of the i20's over the VR Pro Combos, in a trade off for feel. I just need to spend some time on the range with both to see what shakes out. Workability isn't an issue for me; I can work any iron as much as is necessary (for me)...so if the i20's feel as good as people say, they may end up in my bag over the PC's.

Too many good irons out there nowadays to decide on just ONE :angry:

I'm partial because I play them and tried so many other irons in my search for them. I love my Taylormade TP CB's. But, if I had to choose another iron it would have to be the Mizuno JPX800's. I tested them and my buddy has a set that I tried out. They are very very smooth.

Callaway 09 X Forged
Nike VR Pro Combos
Titleist AP2's
TaylorMade R9 TP's

Back