Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

Right on. Gotta go with what you like best. I think it's crazy talk, but to each his own lol.

I think that will be a possibility very soon. I'm hoping we get a demo iron at our club.

Soooo....

Where is Fed Ex with those irons, TH!
Dude, it's killing me! Weren't here yesterday, and have no idea about today. I'm really busy at my "real job" today so I haven't checked. We have a large stock order coming in and they are supposed to be in that shipment that went out Thursday from California.... hopefully today or tomorrow!!

I can't wait to see some more in hand pics of these. From what I've already seen they are HOT!!!!

I think that will be a possibility very soon. I'm hoping we get a demo iron at our club.

Hawk I went to Golfsmith and they had them on the shelves. I asked if they had a demo and they didn't so the guy taped up the floor model and let me swing that one.

The first thing I notified is that the club feels really light to me. When I first picked it up there was almost nothing to it. I like a little weight in my club. My AP2s have a some what heavy feel to them. Next thing I noticed is that the sole of the 6 iron was SMALL! As was the club face. Smaller than the pictures look. When at address they don't look all that small if that makes sense. The cavity is really nice though. I have hear people say that there is too much going on but I didn't think there was!

I got on the monitor and started piping one after the other. A few yards each way from the center line on the monitor but carrying 189-205 on average. The definitely had a solid feel to them.

Like I said earlier, they are really nice I just wish they had more weight in the head. Any recommendations for this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lucky you and some very good numbers as well!

Yea, I'd imagine the sole is a little thinner than the AP2's you have right now, among other things. As for the weight, I'm not really sure about what to suggest. The DG shaft is basically the same weight as the PX Flighted you have and the swingweight is the same on both irons. There are weights that you can use to bump up the swingweight when they are built, but I really have no clue how that all works.

Yeah, the 588's and the AP2's both have a D2 swing weight so I'm not sure why one feels so much heavier in the head than the other. You may have to lead tape a bit of the cavity or something if you really want them and don't like the light feel of the head. Those were some sweet #'s though. And I agree with you gianna, I think the 588's have one of the best looking cavities on the planet.

I really hope tomahawk's show up today dangit!

My 588's were not part of this shipment. We got pretty much everything else. There are actually good reasons (understandable) for this that I can't really go into. It is what it is. Sorry for getting all of your hopes up on pics this week.

Bummer! I'm really hoping we got a demo iron this week. Should find out tomorrow.

I hit these the other day and man are they awesome!

Tmex got to hit these tonight. I'm insanely jealous!

I hit these along with the Mb's tonight while waiting for golfsmith to blow me off. Loved loved loved loved the cb's. I'll post numbers tomorrow but wow. Screw waiting for the cb3's..... These were that good. Thoughts tomorrow too. But wow.

I hit these along with the Mb's tonight while waiting for golfsmith to blow me off. Loved loved loved loved the cb's. I'll post numbers tomorrow but wow. Screw waiting for the cb3's..... These were that good. Thoughts tomorrow too. But wow.
Pretty much how I felt when I hit them. Want mine now! Can't wait to hear your extended thoughts.

Trying to decide between these and the Bridgestone DPCs. Would welcome any thoughts on how they compare.

Wake up!

waiting+skeleton

Look at TMex doing his best to tease the MC guys waiting for anything 588.

Look at TMex doing his best to tease the MC guys waiting for anything 588.

Exactly! I know it's like 2:15 am in Arizona time, but dang.

LOL... I'll post numbers (screenshots so Dean doesnt go crazy) but here are my thoughts. CB only. I can compare to the MB if you'd like too just let me know.

Looks:
First of all... WOW. Sleek, streamlined, bad @ss, pure, ball killer.. etc... I could go on and on but easily some of my favorite looking irons out right now. They just scream hit me and man, at address... Confidence. The MB and CB looked similar with the CB being just a smidge thicker. They frame the ball really nice and it just makes you also realize, there isn't much room for error lol. Smaller irons are pleasing to some and intimidating to others, count me in as the pleasing crowd. The lamkin grip just tops the look off. Loved it in every aspect.

Sound/Feel:
Tadashi had described these as industrial before and I think thats a great description. It's like hitting nothing on a well struck shot and even those off center a definitely more of a cracking thud. Much like the J40 DPC's but I'd say those are a bit higher pitched. If that makes sense. You can definitely feel a miss but its not jaring and something I really appreciated.

Performance
:
I hit the 6i from both of these sets and they both were about the same yardage wise. If I went stock I'd count on about 170 carry each time. The 6i was pretty easy to hit imo. The DG S300 was pretty good spin wise but its hard to tell on those golfsmith monitors. Ballspeeds were ranging from 115 to 121 and the launch was around 16 my first little session and 18 the next. One thing that is great is how consistent these irons are. I had some that my miss showed up (big draw) but usually it was a pretty good grouping. When I post the screenshots I only kept 3 shots but they give what I was seeing and while I had some mishits, they were even consistent. I know the DG shaft had a lot to do with what I was seeing and would love to see the KBS Tour (I was fit for) and PX (the PX I was fit for) in these clubs. Time to dail up Cleveland!

What you get out of these is nothing special distance wise but when you're playing this type of iron, being in the same spot is what you count on... No worries here. The swing you put on the club is the ballflight you get. Meaning, you leave that face open it'll fade or if you go with that draw/hook it'll do that. Ultimate control. I dont mean to work the ball ever though, its just that you know you're not gonna get any type of bias with these. I really think if I got a proper fit it would make that ballflight I was seeing even tighter.

Forgiveness:
This is relative to a lot of players. My miss is that big hook or I hit off the toe I think. I dont know where I hit it off center actually, basically my clubface is closed throughout the swing and its bad. HAHA. It doesnt happen often but even the CB's couldnt fix stupid. The misses like that I lost about 20-30 yards and it was hook. Not as forgiving as my ZStars but when you compare the CB and MB... the CB really shines there. That miss shows up in the longer irons and for that I'd easily go CB... I might even just do CB throughout. I dont know. The MB really punished me on those mishits and it could've been I was just tired hitting them at the end but the CB's definitely outclassed the MB's in this area.

OVerall:

For some reason I feel like Im not doing these clubs justice. I really want more time with them and honestly, I'm considering these. I don't think I'd put them over the i20's but I'd be stupid not to do a proper fit and see what happens. This could be the ultimate prep for the J40 CB's.

Wow. Really surprised to hear how forgiving the CB's are, which is awesome.

Really great write up Yoccos.

Wow. Really surprised to hear how forgiving the CB's are, which is awesome.

Really great write up Yoccos.

I dont know if I'd say super forgiving lol. I still lost some big yardage but a mishit on a MB is just downright brutal. These were just more forgiving than the MB's.

Nice write up Tmex, and yes I want juiced up sim numbers:alien:
These definitely screen confidence at address, a great looking iron set.
When you say you lost 20-30 yards on your miss that was with the CB?

Awesome stuff Tmex, and I think some pre MC prep work is just what the doctor ordered my man. One thing I find fascinating about the CB's is how the iron head progresses in shape from the scoring irons to the mid irons to the long irons. I think that's where a lot of that extra forgiveness comes in that you were seeing. The best thing is that the CB's just give you a full cavity. That's a lot of perimeter weighting that's there to help the golfer. I'm glad you got the chance to put your hands on them and I certainly appreciate you taking the time to write this up for us. I like those ball speeds dude. Right on par with the i20's I reckon.

Back