Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Have some more posts to read and respond to, here's a couple

Oh absolutely. And I believe I will struggle a little with the bigger soles initially. I really prefer the shape of the i20s. I just believe the g15/g20's higher trajectory will benefit me.

Man, I really need to get fit properly... That's not that easy here in PR.

If you are having issues getting the ball in the air the G series may be better for you. Not saying the i20s won't get up and go, but the G series definitely will.

Ping shaft upcharge does seem much higher than others. On the refinish, though, I'm a little surprised - lik e you said, I think ship to is reasonable, but that's it. Don't know who you talked to, but I had better luck with the repair department on a problem I had than the initial person that picked up the phone on the 800 line. May be worth a shot...

Far as pricing goes I really don't think one OEM rules over others in the price department. Some upgrades at one OEM are free and others cost $$. Vice versa. PX shaft in my K15 was downright cheap all things considered. I've found upgrades at Ping to be very reasonable. Retailers can also have an effect on pricing of upgrades. I won't deal in heresay, but in my direct experience a price at one place may not be the same at a different place.

Where Ping excels over other OEMs is the level of customization available. If you look at Jman's setup I don't think a typical customer could go anywhere but Ping and get that done.

Thanks for the pics Homesy!

On a side note - I stopped by my local mom and pop shop today to chew the fat and we got to talking about the i20's. Went on to tell me just how popular they are and how well they are selling. So much so that his Ping sales are up 45% over last year. Ping must be doing something right with this line of sticks for his sales to be up that much.

Same around here. The courses and shops can't believe how many i20 iron sets they are selling.

I am seeing a little wear on my clubs but don't know why it's an issue. I owned G10s for a short time and the finish wore from them about what I'm seeing from the i20s. Am I missing some important issue? I have not seen any wear from the bottom of the clubs and have hit on range in dirt soil and very sandy soil. I am also cleaning my club face after each shot when practicing. Is there cause for concern?

I've been a quiet in this thread since I haven't been doing the i20's justice. If I took a picture of the wear marks on my irons they would all be off the toe really bad. I think the swing is somewhat coming around and I will start sharing my thoughts a bit more. Nothing near as good as the testers though. I have to say I think this has been my favorite testing thread of all time. You guys are destroying it in here. I will be stealing ideas from you guys left and right lol

I am seeing a little wear on my clubs but don't know why it's an issue. I owned G10s for a short time and the finish wore from them about what I'm seeing from the i20s. Am I missing some important issue? I have not seen any wear from the bottom of the clubs and have hit on range in dirt soil and very sandy soil. I am also cleaning my club face after each shot when practicing. Is there cause for concern?

I don't think there is an important issue you're missing. Just differing opinions on it. No cause for concern IMO, been playing in sand and clay and mine are just fine.

I've been a quiet in this thread since I haven't been doing the i20's justice. If I took a picture of the wear marks on my irons they would all be off the toe really bad. I think the swing is somewhat coming around and I will start sharing my thoughts a bit more. Nothing near as good as the testers though. I have to say I think this has been my favorite testing thread of all time. You guys are destroying it in here. I will be stealing ideas from you guys left and right lol

Chunky, I'm flattered buddy! Hehe

Don't hold back in here though dude, let it rip, its all good whether its a large thought or experience or a small one. Hell, if you're out at the toe more then who better to talk on the toe forgiveness on them? I know I've been blown away by it.

I was curious if those of you who have i20's could share what shafts you got and why (ie. swing speed, tempo, feel, etc.). Thanks.

I chose graphite because, testing aside, I was looking to make golf a little easier on my body. Does it work? Jury is still out on that one. Post round isn't as rough and it's hard to say if it's the clubs, the meds, or both. My plan this spring was to reshaft all my clubs to graphite or start from scratch.

I've done multiple fittings this past year and my swing is the same. I headed to the shop to get length and lie checked. Was in such a rush that day I didn't record any numbers. I was just verifying what I already knew and wanted to hit the PX graphite vs Ping's stock graphite. My choice was based on hitting each shaft side by side.

Could be very easy for me to slip into running down the characteristics of the PX graphite shaft, but this is about the total package. It's an incredible combo with the i20s and I'll leave it that for now.

Important? Nah. As a tester I feel I have to post up my observations...positive, neutral, negative. To be honest, if I wasn't testing these and paying so close attention to all the minute details I doubt I would have given it a 2nd thought.

Thanks CL, means a lot coming from you man!. I will be stealing Jman's indexing idea soon enough.

Those toe strikes are something else, aren't they? Very surprised when I get one out there and nothing all that bad happens.

Thanks CL, means a lot coming from you man!. I will be stealing Jman's indexing idea soon enough.

Those toe strikes are something else, aren't they? Very surprised when I get one out there and nothing all that bad happens.

Awesome on the first (hehe)...

On the bold, those are the ones where you hold this finish and stare while thinking, really? haha

Thanks Griff. There is such an array of gofers on this site which makes it great that have made me think the finish was coming off all the clubs and they would rust by end of Summer. One reason I bought cast clubs this time instead of forged was wear on the face. My scoring clubs on MP-52 has a quarter spot with no chrome on them. I thought from playing PingEye2 for 15 years the finish would not be an issue.

Thanks to all who input this site

Awesome on the first (hehe)...

On the bold, those are the ones where you hold this finish and stare while thinking, really? haha

I would have started stealing on the last test post, but I didn't have enough time. :devil:

I remember when I first hit a really bad toe shot, had to triple check the spot on the face. I'm so glad I played like garbage my 1st time out with these. As bad as my swing was the i20s hung in there and I gained a lot of confidence after that.

Thanks Griff. There is such an array of gofers on this site which makes it great that have made me think the finish was coming off all the clubs and they would rust by end of Summer. One reason I bought cast clubs this time instead of forged was wear on the face. My scoring clubs on MP-52 has a quarter spot with no chrome on them. I thought from playing PingEye2 for 15 years the finish would not be an issue.

Thanks to all who input this site

No problem. You will see wear. If you are looking for a bullet proof finish, or expecting one, be careful...they will probably not be like the Eye2's. I know what you are saying about the shiny spots on some forged clubs. Not sure the i20s will do that, need more time. If they do they do. Doesn't change how they play.

Had a little elbow surgery last fall so I did not pick up the sticks for 6 months. I know where the term " going to knock the rust off the clubs". My previous forged irons had rust on the face after being put on sideline. I don't think these i20's will have any issue with that. I still will suggest if you spend time on a range beating balls to clean the face between shots if it is dirty. Sand and dirt acts like sandpaper to a club face so we should expect wear to its finish. I thought there was some defect in Pings finish

Im totally satisfied with the early wear on my sticks. Thanks again Griff! I agree that it will not affect my game nor will it many other guys on this site.

4/10/12
Ping i20 testing, 3-PW
Conditions: low 70's, very windy, maybe gusts up to 35 or so.

Had a fun session with the i20's today. I was able to play 7 holes.

Hole 1: Played 3 balls off the tee since I had no warm-up. Used the 3i. Wind was blowing hard right to left and in the face.
First ball was so chunky that went about 130 yards. Almost missed the ball, haha. Left 220 or so to the flag. Hit the 3i again. Played a low/mid flighted slight cut into the wind, hit it exactly how I wanted. It cut through the wind a little too well again. Landed pin high just off the green to the right.
2nd ball was pure, right where I wanted it. Nice low/mid penerating flight. So much so it didn’t get affected by the wind and went to the right just off the fairway, about 235. Had about 110 left, hit a PW because it was right into the wind. Choked up on it and hit a nice half shot. Of course the wind died down and the ball ended up about 20 yards past the flag, just off the back of the green. Was happy with contact and control of the shot.
Third ball was a slight chunk/pull, wind got a hold of it a bit, landed just left of the fairway, went about 200. Had 147 left, into the wind. Plan was to hit a mid/knockdown type shot. Pulled it off exactly how I wanted but caught a gust. Ended up about 5 yards short of the green.
Hole 2: Three balls off this tee. Hit all three drives in the fairway but too short to go for the green in two. 3i: Tried two low stinger type shots and one mid trajectory shot. Played each shot how I wanted. I got nice roll out of the stinger shots.
Hole 3: Bad drive into the trees. Couldn’t get to the green. About 165 to flag. Played a nice small cut around the tree and got it to the fairway in front of the green.
Hole 4: 181 into the wind. Hit a nice low/mid 5i with a slight draw. Landed it on the front of the green and rolled to about 20ft. Very happy with this result.
Hole 5: Drive to the right rough. Left with about 145 left to the flag. Had a good amount of wind at my back and had to fly the ball over a decently high tree. Hit a nice easy PW which landed about 1 yard short of the green. Very happy with this result as long would have been bad.
Hole 6: Hit 3i off tee about 230. Starting to love this club. Hit a knockdown 5i to the 100yard marker to setup a wedge.
Hole 7: Last hole and best shot of the day. Into a good wind. Hit a bad low hook drive into the left rough. Left me about 215+ to the flag on the back of the green. I had a tree about 115 yards in front of me so I couldn’t hit a straight shot to the green. I would have to play a 30 yard cut. Club of choice was a 4i. Set the face aimed at the flag and turned my body to the left, had a nice out and in swing, crushed the ball. Balls lands on back middle of green and holes to about 13ft. I just wish someone could have seen me hit this shot.

Overall impression from Today’s session was extremely positive. I was able to control my ball flight and work the ball pretty well. I hope to get a range session in on Thursday to work on more shots with these irons.

PR, I ordered mine with KBSTs in stiff but after a ton of follow up testing (see earlier in thread if you want) i am in the process of switching to the CFS primarily due to weight - heard they shipped today so I hope to validate by this weekend.

My 7i SS is about 80-81 and I would say I have a pretty moderate tempo. I hit my 7i about 165. During my testing I was able to borrow a stiff and regular CFS for a week to pit against the KBSTs and hit a couple hundred balls total among the three of them. I gotta tell you the difference was very small compared to the variability from swing to swing. I ended up ordering the CFS stiff soft stepped once just because the 109g weight felt best, reg had a really tight dispersion in a couple indoor LM sessions but the stiff was just a hair better out on the course. I think you'll be ok with either of those options the fitter suggested or go to the middle like I did and soft step the stiff once. I really don't think a single soft step one way or the other for guys like us is a huge deal, but I'm just a one year THP novice so take that advise for what it's worth.

Thanks for the input guys. Kmac, I almost certainly would go with the CFS - the fitter was thinking I should go with the stiff soft stepped twice but when I hit a few 7 irons over 80 mph he said stiff would be better. I'm still thinking of soft stepping the stiffs one time though becuase my tempo isn't fast and I'm honestly not a very long hitter (135 yard 7 iron). So I'm kind of struggling with it right now which is why I was wondering what everyone else is using and why.

Nice job GD! That shot on 7 sounds incredible.

The 3i is really close to kicking my 3h out of the bag. A chunky, thin, push, pull with the 3i sees a lot safer for me than the same with the 3h.

PR, I ordered mine with KBSTs in stiff but after a ton of follow up testing (see earlier in thread if you want) i am in the process of switching to the CFS primarily due to weight - heard they shipped today so I hope to validate by this weekend. My 7i SS is about 80-81 and I would say I have a pretty moderate tempo. I hit my 7i about 165. During my testing I was able to borrow a stiff and regular CFS for a week to pit against the KBSTs and hit a couple hundred balls total among the three of them. I gotta tell you the difference was very small compared to the variability from swing to swing. I ended up ordering the CFS stiff soft stepped once just because the 109g weight felt best, reg had a really tight dispersion in a couple indoor LM sessions but the stiff was just a hair better out on the course. I think you'll be ok with either of those options the fitter suggested or go to the middle like I did and soft step the stiff once. I really don't think a single soft step one way or the other for guys like us is a huge deal, but I'm just a one year THP novice so take that advise for what it's worth.
Thankyou for posting that JK, that was actually very helpful. At this point I'm leaning towards hardstepping the regular but I'm still open to the idea of softstepping the stiff.

I was curious if those of you who have i20's could share what shafts you got and why (ie. swing speed, tempo, feel, etc.). Thanks.

I got the CFS stiff shaft. My Swing speed with 6i was 88-91. I could of probably hardstepped them or gone x-stiff but I liked the results with the CFS stiff. My tempo can be anywhere from smooth to really quick and jerky. I have played the x100 and KBS Tour x-stiff is some of my other clubs. I really liked the x100 but they can get tiring. I felt the weight and performance of the CFS stiff shafts will allow me to hit the same shots from start to finish.

I think you are on the right path. Since those options are only a step apart, I would then suggest you simply go with the weight you like 100g or 110g.

Thankyou for posting that JK, that was actually very helpful. At this point I'm leaning towards hardstepping the regular but I'm still open to the idea of softstepping the stiff.

I got the CFS stiff shaft. My Swing speed with 6i was 88-91. I could of probably hardstepped them or gone x-stiff but I liked the results with the CFS stiff. My tempo can be anywhere from smooth to really quick and jerky. I have played the x100 and KBS Tour x-stiff is some of my other clubs. I really liked the x100 but they can get tiring. I felt the weight and performance of the CFS stiff shafts will allow me to hit the same shots from start to finish.
Thanks Dave, formerly known as butters! I know what you mean, the weight of these shafts suits me as well.

Anybody else out there feeling lazy because we all talk about a measly 10g? :act-up:

Anybody else out there feeling lazy because we all talk about a measly 10g? :act-up:

Lazy? No. However I'm starting to suspect that the i20's are a horrible fit for me after a couple more sessions. I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a round instead of another range session but it's pretty ho hum at best so far.

Just having a little fun over the fact that such little weight can make a big difference for so many, including myself. Too bad about the i20s, ST, what are you seeing (or not seeing)?

Lazy? No. However I'm starting to suspect that the i20's are a horrible fit for me after a couple more sessions. I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a round instead of another range session but it's pretty ho hum at best so far.

I bought the stock CFS shafts because I checked out a demo and took it to the range and loved the flight and feel I got from it. I don't think I'm good enough to tell the difference in many different options. Maybe if I had gone to a demo day and hit several different shafts I would have a different opinion. I still like the stiff CFS for my game. I think they are a little more robust than DGS300.

Just having a little fun over the fact that such little weight can make a big difference for so many, including myself. Too bad about the i20s, ST, what are you seeing (or not seeing)?

Hooks at worst and constantly missing left otherwise
Issue from tighter lies and out of the rough
Crap performance from thinned shots which is my miss

I'm not ruling out it being:
A: Being me and I need to double check my set up and swing (have a pro looking at it tonight)
B: What I ordered isn't what I got

Hooks at worst and constantly missing left otherwise
Issue from tighter lies and out of the rough
Crap performance from thinned shots which is my miss

I'm not ruling out it being:
A: Being me and I need to double check my set up and swing (have a pro looking at it tonight)
B: What I ordered isn't what I got

It took me a few rounds and about two weeks worth of range sessions to fix all the exact same misses you are putting out there. Did you go CFS and are used to heavier shafts? I did. And I think that's what caused me to have a "learning period".

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

It took me a few rounds and about two weeks worth of range sessions to fix all the exact same misses you are putting out there. Did you go CFS and are used to heavier shafts? I did. And I think that's what caused me to have a "learning period".

Nope, C Tapers which are heavier which should then cause a fade to start as my tempo tries to keep up.
FWIW the pro said I'd have to do some fairly signifigant changes to my swing to get them to work, which I'm not interested in. Still debating but I'm not enthralled like I was when I first started demoing them.

Back