Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

ST I am sad to see you went through this. But it's some incredible info for this thread dude. Lets get you some S56!!

Tuna, I love your post. I can really respect a guy who can spit truth like that.

Agreed Tuna, respect *knuckles* dude.

That blows ST. Don't think a different shaft would salvage them for you?

It would help but only be a bandaid. I'd get more consistent results from my other shaft but I would still be fighting the characteristics of the head.
Though as it turns out, Ping didn't do the sole grind on these so that wasn't helping matters anyways.

ST I am sad to see you went through this. But it's some incredible info for this thread dude. Lets get you some S56!!

It was just one calamity after another. I was too jazzed the first few times out and didn't spent enough time on the grass instead of a fitting matt that plays like grass. Also doing fittings with one OEM at a time isn't going to be on future list of things to do either. Too much jazz and not enough consideration and I just don't mix. Inconslusive results from both the Ping fittings didn't help and as much as I like nFlight software, that'll learn me about trusting the computer only.

S56's would have been a better choice for me. That hunky weight bar right on the bottom is much more what I'm looking for. Though I might just go back to familair pastures.

Oh well. Just means someone else will get the joy of them instead

Tuna, I love your post. I can really respect a guy who can spit truth like that.

Agreed Tuna, respect *knuckles* dude.

Cheers guys.

If nothing else, I hope it's just an added bit of info for people researching these irons. I still think they're a fantastic club and will go down as one of Ping's golden generation of irons but just not for me.

Cheers guys.

If nothing else, I hope it's just an added bit of info for people researching these irons. I still think they're a fantastic club and will go down as one of Ping's golden generation of irons but just not for me.

And I think it will be invaluable information my friend.

No problemo!

I was hoping to get out today but we are now up to 25mph winds....um....I'll get back to you on that one.

I reckon you should move to one of the southern states here in the USA. Like Texas. Heck with that 70% windy stuff.

What are y'all girlies whining about?!?! That's the only kind of weather I get to play in. Really, REALLY, WINDY! And I love it.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

What are y'all girlies whining about?!?! That's the only kind of weather I get to play in. Really, REALLY, WINDY! And I love it.

You're also in Hawaii, not Oklahoma. Better scenery makes it worth it. Simple.

That's because it ranges from 83-87 degrees year round and you stare at the ocean all day - man, I love Hawaii - 2 months to Maui...

You're also in Hawaii, not Oklahoma. Better scenery makes it worth it. Simple.

That's because it ranges from 83-87 degrees year round and you stare at the ocean all day - love Hawaii...

Well it also rains a lot here, people can't drive, regular unleaded is $4.55 a gallon, a gallon of milk is $7, and sometimes I miss the snow...

Can we just let me bask in my moment here...

you forgot a 1,200 sq ft house is $1.7M - gas is only $4.55?

Well it also rains a lot here, people can't drive, regular unleaded is $4.55 a gallon, a gallon of milk is $7, and sometimes I miss the snow...

Can we just let me bask in my moment here...

you forgot a 1,200 sq ft house is $1.7M - gas is only $4.55?

What I don't forget is the $1950 a month I pay in rent for a 500 sq ft apartment. But it's worth it to have a roof over my i20's heads!!!

I got to hit these irons at a demo day today. I hit the 5-iron and 8-iron with the CFS shafts in stiff flex. I definitely saw why a lot of people like these irons. Good feel off of the clubface, and the CFS shafts were pretty smooth, I didn't see much of a difference from the KBS Tour shafts that I am using in my current irons. With both clubs, I did notice that I was pulling the ball a little bit, perhaps that's something as simple as a lie angle issue. The 5-iron was the more impressive club as I found it pretty easy to get that long iron up in the air, and smooth swings were rewarded as compared to harder swings. I still really like my R11 irons, and I have another set of irons coming for the Morgan Cup, so I'll just have to ponder these for a while, but I may put these in my bag down the road.

I got to hit these irons at a demo day today. I hit the 5-iron and 8-iron with the CFS shafts in stiff flex. I definitely saw why a lot of people like these irons. Good feel off of the clubface, and the CFS shafts were pretty smooth, I didn't see much of a difference from the KBS Tour shafts that I am using in my current irons. With both clubs, I did notice that I was pulling the ball a little bit, perhaps that's something as simple as a lie angle issue. The 5-iron was the more impressive club as I found it pretty easy to get that long iron up in the air, and smooth swings were rewarded as compared to harder swings. I still really like my R11 irons, and I have another set of irons coming for the Morgan Cup, so I'll just have to ponder these for a while, but I may put these in my bag down the road.

Nice Ary. The 4i and 5i have become lethal weapons for me personally. They just get up, go, and treat you right with a smooth solid swing. I love it.

Glad you enjoyed your demo with em!

I myself had a solid little range session after school in the 25MPH damn wind. SO glad I didn't go on course as it would have just gotten ugly with how I felt today.

Anywho, I'll have a little sumthin' sumthin' up in the morrow.

So, I didn't make it out to play this week but did have the solid range session. Sunday after work hopefully is a good day to play golf. I can't wait!

That stinks ST, but it's better to have loved and lost and all that b.s. hope you find a great set of sticks.

7072338731_962a1e31af_z.jpg

Previous test posts, idea officially stolen from Jman, with his blessing of course :clapp::
Spoiler

Only had 90 minutes so I hit the little course down the road once again. Here's the rundown.

Shot 1

SW from 50 yards following 7W from tee, super firm lie. Course was dry as a bone today with lots of hard greens and tight lies. Took some very deliberate practice swings so I could see where I was making contact with the ground. Hit it like I wanted, fantastic feel off the ground. Ball dropped on the front of the green and released to 10 feet left of hole. 2 putt par.

Shot 2

Par 3 lasered to 155 yards. Hit off the turf. Caught one a little low and a outside. Trajectory was a little weak, but distance loss was negligible. Wound up 10 yards to the right of the pin off the green.

Shot 3

Ball was sitting up and I was hesitant to hit the LW, but had little green to work with. Was worried about getting under it and popping it up short. No worries. Great feel off the face and the ball took more break than I thought it would once it hit the very firm green. Left with 15 feet uphill for par, made the putt for par.

Shot 4

Frightening tee shot. Have to hit to the top of a hill, 150 carry, and anything slightly offline will put you under trees and leave no 2nd shot. OB left. Chose the 4I and crushed it dead straight, hit off turf. Ball flight was impressive, had that nice lift that gets me excited after a good low iron shot.

Shot 5

Same hole, 120 yards to pin. This distance continues to frustrate me. It's too much for a typical PW and the lowest end of the 9I. Chose the PW given the firm conditions. Lie was super tight, following some deliberate practice swings I got under the ball perfectly, came up short like I knew I would. Unfortunately, the ball didn't release like I thought it would. Left short and a little left.

Shot 6

Decided to run a UW chip to hole. Lie was in rough but fine. Again, great feel. Ball released way more than expected and ran 10 or so feet behind the hole. 2 putt bogey.

Shot 7

Par 3 127. Went with the 9I and attempted a fade to fight the crosswind that was blowing pretty hard. I didn't align properly and faded the shot into the treetops that hang over half the hole on the right. Ball hit a branch and came straight down.

Shot 8

25 yards or so to pin. Rock hard lie for the LW. No green to work with or I would have considered a chip. Opted for the pitch and once again the i20 delivered on the thin lie. Wound up 10 feet under the hole and made the putt. I was pleased with this shot given the lie and the pin location.

Shot 9

Following 3W off the tee was left with 87 yards to pin. This is a partial UW or crushed SW for me. Long is death here so I played for the firm conditions and went with a safe SW. Lie was firm, but a little softer than the previous shots. Hit it really well and landed exactly where I planned. Ball barely trickled on the front of the green. Green is tiny so hitting any part of it with my 2nd is fine. 2 putt par.

Shot 10

90 degree dogleg left that needs about 170 for a clean 2nd shot to pin. Went with the 5 and decided to try a draw, what the heck. Worked really well and contact was awesome. Couldn't have walked out there and placed it any better.

Shot 11

Uphill lie to uphill green. Real tough to gauge distance for this shot as it's easy to pop one up. 60 yards or so to pin. Again, hard as rock lie. SW delivered, but I put a little pull on the shot. Wound up 20 feet left of the pin, pin high. 2 putt par.

Shot 12

152 par 3, hit off turf. Hit the type of 7I that you stand back and just watch. I must have gotten above the treeline because the wind took it to the right. This was about the only shot I had on the day that didn't release on the green. Ho hum par from 15 feet right of the pin.

Shot 13

Following a CRUSHED drive I was only 10 yards off the front of the green with a good 60 feet of green to work with. Stalked around the shot as I knew this was good birdie try. Decided to chip with the UW. Well, not sure what happened but the ball checked up very quickly and left me 30 feet short. Based off shot #6 I was expecting some run out. I may have gotten under the ball a little as it came off the club a little higher than I was expecting. 3 jacked it for bogey.

Shot 14

Teed off the turf with the 4I. Caught it a little low and had a little pull action. Not as powerful a trajectory as shot #4, result was fine and distance was really good.

Shot 15

53 yards to pin, fluffy lie in rough. Knew I could actually get under this one and try to stop it. Only 15 feet or so from fringe to pin. Nice pop off the face and this is as close as I get to flopping a shot, lie has to be there for me. Ball did not roll out very much at all. 2 putt par, burned the edge on the birdie try.

Pleased with today's round. Hit some really great shots with the i20s and if I had been more aggressive I may have shot a lower score. 17 putts was a lot, but I played safe all day and left myself with some longish looks at birdie.

Hardpan and Tight Lies

This was the theme of the day. I am thrilled with what I saw from those tough lies today. No bladed shots and the i20s delivered a solid thump under the ball. Spin from these lies was tough to gauge as things were firm all over. Nothing was really spinning for me today. Ball flight seemed unchanged. Distance control was spot on. Tight lies can give me fits when I have to hit less than full shots. The sole on the i20s continues to impress me with its versatility from a variety of lies.

Last edited:
Went to the demo day today and had a blast. Got fitted for the i20s, ended up with the TFC 169i graphite shafts in regular flex, standard length, blue dot. Loved the feel of the irons. Hit almost everyone straight at the target, with a few to the right. Great trajectory, about 15 yards longer than my current a2OS in the 7 iron. Hit almost every one in the center of the face as per the impact tape. I hit the 4 hybrid (the 23*), what a nice club, felt so nice. I could definitely get out of some rough with this club and keep it long.
I hit the i20 3-wood and tried it against the G20 3 wood. The i20 felt a little more stiff off the face and has a metallic sound to it. The G20 had less noise and the feel was awesome. Great distance off the ground and off the tee.
I played a round to think on it and decided to go back to the demo tent and place my order. Yes, I pulled the trigger! Ordered 4h, 5-PW, with a red paint fill on the PING and Golf Pride red/black grips. The PING guys tell me I should have them in 10-14 days. I hope they are right! I did not try the driver, as I could not figure out how to tell my wife if I ordered that too!
I can not wait to get them and give a report to you guys. Will keep reading here to live vicariously through the thread. LOL.
Thank you to all who posted and helped me to make the decision to purchase the i20s.

It 'em straight!

This thread has some great information. I had already been leaning towards the i20's for my next set of irons but after I found this forum and reading all the positive experiences people have had with them it really pushed the i20's to the top of the list. I plan on getting fit for a set in two weeks at Dragonridge in Vegas since I'll be there for a conference. It's going to be tough waiting for them, especially if I keep reading this thread!

This thread has some great information. I had already been leaning towards the i20's for my next set of irons but after I found this forum and reading all the positive experiences people have had with them it really pushed the i20's to the top of the list. I plan on getting fit for a set in two weeks at Dragonridge in Vegas since I'll be there for a conference. It's going to be tough waiting for them, especially if I keep reading this thread!

Stick around here and there are gonna be tons of new additions to your bag. THP brings out the club ho in everyone!

About the i20's. I think your gonna love em'. But when you get fit, if your not in love with them when your hitting them then don't dive in anyway. Remember, there are a few guys on here that decided they just weren't for them. That could be you. Hopefully not. But it's possible. We want to steer everybody, especially new members, in the right direction.

Welcome to THP. Now go post in the check in thread so everybody can say hi!

I am going to up grade my irons from taylormade burners to the ping i20s, do you think its worth gettnig properly fitted for them or using them straight off the shelf from my local dealer?

I am going to up grade my irons from taylormade burners to the ping i20s, do you think its worth gettnig properly fitted for them or using them straight off the shelf from my local dealer?

The fitting is more important than the club in any circumstance. Get fitted bro.

Can't possibly explain how important it is to get fitted. Took me a while to "get it" and has made a HUGE difference. Please do not buy without getting properly fit. OK, I did try to put it in words. Good luck and get fit!

Griff, thanks for the update - I pulled out the piece below because I just love that feeling when you just know immediately after you hit it the shot is money - and there are a lot of those than usual with the i20s for me

"Hit the type of 7I that you stand back and just watch" - Griff

Everyone contributing is doing a great job, I agree. Good luck with the fitting!

Fitting is a really big deal. Even if it's just a basic lie, length, grip, flex you could see a big boost in accuracy and sweet spot hits. Basic adjustments are free from Ping. The stock shaft is fantastic based on what everyone says and if you can't hit a full fitting cart going stock steel should pay off.

Griff, thanks for the update - I pulled out the piece below because I just love that feeling when you just know immediately after you hit it the shot is money - and there are a lot of those than usual with the i20s for me

"Hit the type of 7I that you stand back and just watch" - Griff

Thanks JK. Was out this morning and will type up some stuff when I have a solid hour to do so.

Back