Adams a12 OS Irons Review Thread - Forum Testing

Well the 6 iron arrived this afternoon, I had already played this morning. I will be in Kennesaw for the next 2 days so it will be Saturday before I get to try it out. Thoughts to be posted in the next few days.

Got in 18 today and played the 6I exclusively for the round, it is everything I was hoping it would be, it instills a good feeling as I look down at it in address, unlike the 6H did. I know this is a personal preference type of thing but in golf confidence trumps just about anything else you can think of. I played it with the standard grip and plan to go ahead and replace the grip this afternoon and give it the 2 extra wraps that I have under my other grips. I did draw this club quite a bit with the thin grip but nothing that was hooking into the next county.

The 6I remarkably seems to be every bit as long as the 6H on well struck balls and really makes me more than happy with the entire set now. I did notice the ball flight to be slightly lower than it is with the hybrid. I plan to keep the 6H for those courses that have the 2" ball disappears into type of rough, it should be easier to extract the ball from that type rough with the hybrid. For anyone thinking they would rather play the 6I rather than the 6H I say go for it you will not be sorry.

Glad you like it DD. I personally love the 6 hybrid and feel much more confident with it than an iron.

The Adams a12os irons are clasified as super game improvement clubs, just like the Taylormade Rocketballz Max irons. The price diference is HUGE... any specific reason that you know?

I'm a week away from buying my new set of irons and believe me... I need all the forgiveness I can get... what's your take on the diference between these?

The Adams a12os irons are clasified as super game improvement clubs, just like the Taylormade Rocketballz Max irons. The price diference is HUGE... any specific reason that you know?

I'm a week away from buying my new set of irons and believe me... I need all the forgiveness I can get... what's your take on the diference between these?
The brand name? Plus the Adams are older.

I am not sure if anything will replace these hybrids long term for a while. I had several shots today that left my friend I play with most of the time shaking his head that I could get the ball up that much, that fast and clear all those tall trees while still getting very decent yardage. The hybrids are A-Freaking-mazing.

well... I just ordered my a12os set..!!.. I'm so pumped!..

I must say I also ordered a Rocketballz 3 wood..., wanna see those 17+ yards..

I'll post up once I get my hands on them to see how it goes....

thanks for all the great reviews... you are the reason why I got these clubs!

Porky: Update this thread with your thoughts on them. Did you get the 4-6 hybrids and the 7-GW irons? Steel or graphite?

well... I just ordered my a12os set..!!.. I'm so pumped!..

I must say I also ordered a Rocketballz 3 wood..., wanna see those 17+ yards..

I'll post up once I get my hands on them to see how it goes....

thanks for all the great reviews... you are the reason why I got these clubs!

Congrats on your new sticks, I agree with Smallie, let us know what you think about the clubs and I too wonder what shaft and which clubs specifically you ordered.

Porky: Update this thread with your thoughts on them. Did you get the 4-6 hybrids and the 7-GW irons? Steel or graphite?

Yes.. That's the combo I ordered... I did add the SW and the LW to the order though...., they are Regular Graphite

Will post as soon as I go thru my first round!

I am not sure if anything will replace these hybrids long term for a while. I had several shots today that left my friend I play with most of the time shaking his head that I could get the ball up that much, that fast and clear all those tall trees while still getting very decent yardage. The hybrids are A-Freaking-mazing.

I agree with that....that is the one big downfall about the Morgan Cup.....my Adams hybrids will have to come out of the bag!

We have 2 par 3's on my home course where I hit the 6 hybrid and I haven't missed either green in like 2 months...my buddies can't stand it....I just hit them nice, high, straight and they land soft! I am gonna miss them.

Seemed like a good time to revisit this thread today. Over the last several weeks I developed a falling out with the iron's in this set, I found myself pulling everything way left consistently and I felt like a lot of that was due to the OS and sweeping swing I have with these. I finally broke out my old Nickents that lasted ONE round, lol. While I still really like the Nickents, I lost so much distance per club that I just was never comfortable. It's a huge deal hitting a 7i 155 yards vs a 6i, so off to the range I went.

My first time back out was to a course about 25 miles away, a small 9 hole that has a great layout and some of the best greens around. The entire round was like a highlight reel with some truly awesome shots. At this point the iron's were back to straight and high, however I did find distance control a mixed bag. The shot of the day was on the #3 par 3 hole from 162 to the flag. The west wind was off our left side blowing hard, around 25 mph, and this is one of the toughest par 3's I play. I hit the 6h with just a touch of draw that hung up against the wind what seemed like forever staying all over the flag. The ball hit the flag, hit the stick and stuck 2 1/2 feet above the hole.

I was invited to play with some club members from my home course yesterday and the iron's turned on big time. As it happens, my driver didn't perform as well as it has lately, but the irons had me sticking the ball close all day. A little range time and staying in the shot longer made all the difference. These irons are just so long and straight if I quite trying to push them, stay down and through and just trust the distances I have developed with them.

Well I have been away from this thread for a while but continue to love the looks and reported performance of the A12OS clubs.
I noticed a 7H in the local shop the other day. Any of you all tried that? How did you like it?
Thanks,
Pat

Guys a couple of quick questions regarding the a12OS iron set:

1) If my 7i swing speed is around 77mph what flex should I get in the steel (irons) and hybrids (graphite)?
2) Can the set (both hybrids and irons) be ordered at 2* flat?
3) Can the set be ordered 3/4" short?

I absolutely love these things, especially the 3H! Fantastic long second shot club.
The irons are terrific too. Had some keep coming back shots with the 7,9,SW yesterday.

Guys a couple of quick questions regarding the a12OS iron set:

1) If my 7i swing speed is around 77mph what flex should I get in the steel (irons) and hybrids (graphite)?
2) Can the set (both hybrids and irons) be ordered at 2* flat?
3) Can the set be ordered 3/4" short?

See a pro or you nearest fitter, all of these questions will be answered for you and you may find the numbers you mentioned to be slightly different.

Has anyone tested the graphite shafts in the 7-GW compared to steel?
Did you notice any distance gains over the steel shafts?

Well I have been away from this thread for a while but continue to love the looks and reported performance of the A12OS clubs.
I noticed a 7H in the local shop the other day. Any of you all tried that? How did you like it?
Thanks,
Pat

ordered mine yesterday since I constantly find myself 150 yards out, I realized the 7i was the club i was using the most so i tough it was a good idea to order the 7H..., will post back with some feedback.

Has anyone tested the graphite shafts in the 7-GW compared to steel?
Did you notice any distance gains over the steel shafts?
I am playing the 6 to GW in graphite, they are longer than my last iron set, Mizuno MX-300 TT Dynalite shafts. I would say at minimum a half club longer.

Hi fellow hackers:act-up:, ive been looking at a new set. My handicap when playing comp was a high 25. but i feel with the right clubs i can get that down and im hoping using these clubs will provide me with some confidence.
these appear to be the best set of this type.

Thank you

Thank you

I wanted to take a moment this morning to thank the hackers paradise and the good folks who take the time to write these reviews. I also wanted to give you my results based on the decisions I made after reading every post (twice) about the a12 irons. I was a 17 handicap with a driver swing speed of around 105 up to 108. My irons were a set of 1993 Cleveland vas 792 steel shafted stiff with mid size grips. I'm 6'3 and lanky. My iron swing speed was 75 mph. The clubs did not fit me, the result was heavy or topped balls. I was a terrible iron player, the farthest I could hit my 6 iron was 160 yards if I pured it. The shots were a low trajectory most often a fade. I went to a professional fitter with a lesson, and we determined I was a +1 3* upright graphite shaft. The irons I hit the best were the a12's. Before committing, I went home and looked up the reviews and found this forum. After reading the positive comments I ordered the set to include the 6 iron. The new upright swing is now 90 mph and controlled. The shafts are a graphite medium flex with mid size grips. The new 6 iron is 195 and high, 7 iron 180, 8 165 etc. I'm blown away with the accuracy, forgiveness and feel of these irons. I now play almost every day and will be a single digit by July 15 the next time ghin updates.

Thank you testers you have helped a hacker find his game. Hope this helps someone else.

David

Hi fellow hackers:act-up:, ive been looking at a new set. My handicap when playing comp was a high 25. but i feel with the right clubs i can get that down and im hoping using these clubs will provide me with some confidence.
these appear to be the best set of this type.

I wanted to take a moment this morning to thank the hackers paradise and the good folks who take the time to write these reviews. I also wanted to give you my results based on the decisions I made after reading every post (twice) about the a12 irons. I was a 17 handicap with a driver swing speed of around 105 up to 108. My irons were a set of 1993 Cleveland vas 792 steel shafted stiff with mid size grips. I'm 6'3 and lanky. My iron swing speed was 75 mph. The clubs did not fit me, the result was heavy or topped balls. I was a terrible iron player, the farthest I could hit my 6 iron was 160 yards if I pured it. The shots were a low trajectory most often a fade. I went to a professional fitter with a lesson, and we determined I was a +1 3* upright graphite shaft. The irons I hit the best were the a12's. Before committing, I went home and looked up the reviews and found this forum. After reading the positive comments I ordered the set to include the 6 iron. The new upright swing is now 90 mph and controlled. The shafts are a graphite medium flex with mid size grips. The new 6 iron is 195 and high, 7 iron 180, 8 165 etc. I'm blown away with the accuracy, forgiveness and feel of these irons. I now play almost every day and will be a single digit by July 15 the next time ghin updates.

Thank you testers you have helped a hacker find his game. Hope this helps someone else.

David

Great stuff and good luck with your new irons. I'm still loving mine!

David

Great post David, congrats on the great results. It's refreshing to see someone do it the right way, by testing through a fitter and finding what works best for your game. The A12 OS irons are a solid product that have done much the same for my game. My iron play went from off and on to very consistent and helped drop my hc immediately.

Welcome to THP and good luck moving forward with your new set or irons.

David

Great stuff there David, I am so glad that you found the reviews in this thread helpful and love that the proper fitting & Adams irons were able to give you such dramatic increases in length and most importantly accuracy. I too play the 6I to GW in the irons and use the 3, 4 & 5 hybrids. These are some great clubs if they fit your swing and golfing needs. Keep us posted on your progress as you continue to really get use to these awesome irons.

Back