Coming out, chipper style

The only reason I don't use one is cause I can't justify replacing another club for it. The chipper is awesome and it gets the ball on the green! But I'd rather learn to chip. I wish they made a pitcher, haha I suck at pitching

Alot of love for chippers I see ... I'm going to give one a try, as I've put alot of time into improving chipping from the fringe with my PW, but about 1 out of 5 goes bad. Just looking for consistency. Funny, I've searched high and low & seems there are no quality manufacturers that make one, other than Cleveland's Niblick which is more of a multipurpose club ... I'm looking to get more of a mallet shape, something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/RH-Acer-XK-...60434886442?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item53eb97e72a

Anybody know of any higher quality or even custom made primo chippers out there ?? Thx

odyssey make one is called the xact chipper, i have one and it works ok, however i now have some decent wedges and i use them more so i took it from the bag.

http://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Odyssey_Marxman_X-Act_Putting_Wedge.html dont know if its available outside the UK and its expensive and costs the same as a decent wedge.

I might as well post an update since this got resurrected. I have been using my 3 hybrid for chipping around the green so far this year and while it isn't as accurate as my chipper yet, I think it will be just as good once I get enough practice with it to get distances figured out. I do still miss the chipper though when I need to pop one up over an obstacle. It was just so effortless it was almost like cheating.

I was watching our summer employee (high school student) play at the regional tournament yesterday and he was deadly with his chipper!!! They made the state tournament so I would imagine it will be getting used a lot their also.

They are really accurate, it's just the 14 club rule that kills them.

My Dad and I used to play with a guy who often used his chipper for full shots, from the fairway, and off the tee. I saw him hit the green on a 170yd par 3 with it a few times.

They are really accurate, it's just the 14 club rule that kills them.

I think you're exactly correct on that thought. Whomever devised the 14 club rule should be tarred and feathered ...

As a newbie to this forum who is also horrible at golf I recently read through the monster niblick thread from last season where many posters were using them regularly but now no longer show them in their bags. Do people just "outgrow" them for the most part?

I think it is all part of the challenge of golf. With the 14 club limit, it is hard to keep a chipper in the bag when we all know that we can learn to hit the same shots with other clubs. It's just harder to do it and takes more practice. A chipper is so easy that most people can hit them well the first time they try it.

So I don't think we really outgrow them. I am learning to use a 60* right now so I had to get rid of a club and the chipper was the most logical choice. If they changed the rules today to allow 15 clubs, mine would be right back in my bag.

Welcome to the forum Easterbunny. Even horrible golfers like us get lots of love here.

put a 30 foot chip (10 ft of that was short grass, 20 ft green) to 4 inches with my chipper yesterday, 1st time out. So yes, as you said, they can be hit well first time most people try them. It's just a cool little specialty club - for me, losing my #3 & 4 hybrids & replacing with a 7 wood has made room for the chipper - I think it's going to sit with me well ...

I'm thinking mine might find it's way back into the bag real soon. My R11 AW can handle just about anything from 100 yards and in, so the 60* isn't really necessary.

I had a chipper many years ago....I can hit the same shot with a 7iron. But if the chipper helps your game then don't worry about what others think.

Yeah, that's the problem for me. I should be able to hit that shot with a 7 iron, but I'm just not good enough yet. I either blade it across the green or hit it fat and it goes about 3 feet. If I took a lesson or two and learned how to chip properly, I'd probably get a lot better using other clubs for it, but I'm still being stubborn and trying to teach myself.

As a newbie to this forum who is also horrible at golf I recently read through the monster niblick thread from last season where many posters were using them regularly but now no longer show them in their bags. Do people just "outgrow" them for the most part?

As more new awesome wedges come out and as more start learning chipping techniques, the chipper is no longer justified because that space could be used for another club such as a hybrid or another wedge that could do both chipping and other specialty shots, In my own opinion, this is why some people stop using chippers. I know that when I got my hands on a vokey I could no longer justify a place for a chipper in my bag

Of course this is all my own opinion though

I have made quite a few hi loft hybrids for fellas.
Most find them to be excellent for chipping.
One buddy uses his 27* and 33* almost exclusively for chipping.
He is a really good chipper too.
So its a good option if you want a club that is versatile.
I made one for myself thats a 35* hybrid.

I have made quite a few hi loft hybrids for fellas.
Most find them to be excellent for chipping.
One buddy uses his 27* and 33* almost exclusively for chipping.
He is a really good chipper too.
So its a good option if you want a club that is versatile.
I made one for myself thats a 35* hybrid.

That is awesome! That's something I wouldn't mind having haha

Yeah, that's the problem for me. I should be able to hit that shot with a 7 iron, but I'm just not good enough yet. I either blade it across the green or hit it fat and it goes about 3 feet. If I took a lesson or two and learned how to chip properly, I'd probably get a lot better using other clubs for it, but I'm still being stubborn and trying to teach myself.

Thing is though ... I can hit the chip with a 7 or 8 iron & have practiced it alot. My success rate is probably 4 good ones out of 5 ... problem is that one miss out of 5 isn't just a little off, its a brutal blade or most likely a shank in my case that winds up 35 ft from where it's supposed to be. The miss with a poorly struck chip shot is far likely to be worse with an iron than the chipper. I like the odds of a mishit only being a few feet off as opposed to 30+ ft off.

HAHA YOU MUST SUCK! Jk! Glad it works for you, my brother uses one quite successfully. Also, that post had some nice humor in it!

Thing is though ... I can hit the chip with a 7 or 8 iron & have practiced it alot. My success rate is probably 4 good ones out of 5 ... problem is that one miss out of 5 isn't just a little off, its a brutal blade or most likely a shank in my case that winds up 35 ft from where it's supposed to be. The miss with a poorly struck chip shot is far likely to be worse with an iron than the chipper. I like the odds of a mishit only being a few feet off as opposed to 30+ ft off.

I did it today. Took out my 60* and put the chipper back in. It was pretty amazing how much better I was around the greens. But I think I did figure out why I need the chipper right now. I haven't learned to aim properly with my irons or get the distances down yet, so most of my approach shots are off the green about 5 yards or so. That means I am chipping on almost every hole. I had one of my best rounds ever today because my chips were ending up 2 to 8 feet from the hole instead of 20 to 30 feet.

Inthehole, how many short chips do you think you have in one round? I'm guessing I had about 13 today. So if I was as good at chipping with other clubs as you are I would only have bladed or fatted or shanked about 2 or 3 of them. Since I'm still working on consistent ball contact it would have been more like at least 7 for me. That's a lot of wasted shots. It's no wonder I took about 10 strokes off my game today.

So my conclusion now is that a chipper has the most value to someone that misses a lot of greens. Once I am better, it will probably get less and less use and finally be dropped back out in favor of something else.

Thats great Sir. It is funny, guys will throw balls into the woods with a brand new $400 driver and scoff at a chipper. There is always room in the bag for a club that saves strokes, and one putting sure makes the game a lot funner imho.

I did it today. Took out my 60* and put the chipper back in. It was pretty amazing how much better I was around the greens. But I think I did figure out why I need the chipper right now. I haven't learned to aim properly with my irons or get the distances down yet, so most of my approach shots are off the green about 5 yards or so. That means I am chipping on almost every hole. I had one of my best rounds ever today because my chips were ending up 2 to 8 feet from the hole instead of 20 to 30 feet.

Inthehole, how many short chips do you think you have in one round? I'm guessing I had about 13 today. So if I was as good at chipping with other clubs as you are I would only have bladed or fatted or shanked about 2 or 3 of them. Since I'm still working on consistent ball contact it would have been more like at least 7 for me. That's a lot of wasted shots. It's no wonder I took about 10 strokes off my game today.

So my conclusion now is that a chipper has the most value to someone that misses a lot of greens. Once I am better, it will probably get less and less use and finally be dropped back out in favor of something else.

Lately, for longer approach shots, instead of spraying a 3 wood from 200 yards trying in vain to find the green way out there in the distance, I've been using a 4iron & hitting it straight and close to the green, which leaves a relatively short chip & is why the chipper is getting the call more and more. So far, this approach is working out way better on the scorecard ...

I used to have an old two sided chipper from Northwestern. I liked it because it was more "upright" than most of the other chippers. Most of them are about 37 degrees of loft, but this thing was more like 20 degrees. The problem is that it was an illegal club given the two sides, so I pulled it from the bag and gave it to my wife (who is just starting).

I replaced it (and my GW) with a 2010 Niblick 49 (love those square grooves). I'm still working on getting the chipping with the Niblick down, and still think I'm probably better from 10 feet off with a 3 hybrid as long as there isn't an obstacle. When there's a bunker, the Niblick has to come into play.

In an attempt to improve, I'm trying to play every off green shot from 80 yards in that isn't in the bunker with my Niblick. My scoring is a bit higher than if I went with the hybrid (or my old illegal chipper), but I feel like I'm getting better at one of the harder parts of the game. I also feel like I'm more prepared for tougher courses where the greens are more guarded.

I would agree with others who have posted about their Niblicks and full swing shots. I actually hit the best shot of my life with my Niblick about three weeks ago. I holed out an 80 yard shot for an eagle on a par 5 (which with my sky high handicap is absolutely amazing). There's something about the alignment line, the shorter shaft and the wider blade that really give me a lot of confidence on full swings. I pretty much know exactly where it's going.

I always had the traditional view of the chipper. This year I decided to try an Odyssey Marxman. I've had 3 chip ins in 6 rounds. It truly is putting while chipping. I'm sold.
I also have a Vokey that I use far more. But when there is room for a long roll out the Marxman is deadly. Fun.

I have to agree that the 49 Niblick is one of my favorite clubs. I carry the Niblick for those 70-75 yard shots as well as for chipping just off the green. And while I could use another wedge for this shot, for me, if its 70-75, it's the Niblick with an easy 3/4 swing. In fact this is the distance I try to play to for my approach shots just because the Niblick works for me.
I remember when the Niblick was first introduced several years ago. it was received initially with a lot of skepticism (bordering on hostility from some) I'm glad to see that more golfers are seeing the value and versatility of this club.

Back