Coming out, chipper style

Kobey

I'm a French model
Reaction score
Handicap
Winter
I don't know what kind of reception this is going to get, but here goes. I use a.........CHIPPER! I've taken a lot of flack over it and I'm still not sure why. It is a legal club, I get a lot of use out of it and it keeps me from whacking the ball back and forth over the green.

I know most of the arguments against using one:
1. It is unnecessary since I can learn to use other clubs to do the same thing.
2. It is for hackers, women and old men.
3. Tour players don't use one.

I know that they aren't for everyone. Someone that wants to compete at a high level would be better off learning all the different wedge shots and to chip with irons or hybrids, but for me as an older golfer who plays strictly for enjoyment, it seems to make sense to use whatever will lower my scores the easiest. Yet it seems that I may be the only man in the world still using one.

No one seems to have much of a problem with oversize drivers, hybrids, long and belly putters or any other club that is designed to make the game easier, so why is there such a stigma attached to chippers or putting wedges? I guess that is my real question.

There are a lot of people that can't hit a 60* yet they say they still carry one and hardly ever use it. I would rather use my 14th slot for a club that I am confident in and use a lot during a round.

Maybe they are starting to come back into fashion. A Niblick is really just a newfangled chipper, and no one seems to have a problem with someone using one of them.

So any thoughts on why this is the most hated and ridiculed club in the game of golf?

Thanks, JN, for giving me the courage to post this.
:smile:

Bahahahahaha! Flubs, rep added for humor. And I agree with you, chippers seem to have a stigma about them as compared to the traditional wedge. I have no problem with people using a chipper - it promotes you to get the ball rolling from off the green - "putting with loft" as Raymond Floyd would say.

Nothing wrong with using something that helps you play better. I find the Niblick personally a little more versatile than most chippers, but that is a personal preference.

My dad swears by his and he's been playing a very long time and has a pretty low handicap. Play away with your chipper with pride

6 months ago, I would have hacked on ya a bit, but the first time I used on, I chipped in. I have since changed my opinion.

Nothing wrong with using something that helps you play better. I find the Niblick personally a little more versatile than most chippers, but that is a personal preference.

I was deadly with a full swing Niblick for a while.

Good for you, the object is get the ball in the hole in as few stokes as you can, use what works!

You'll never hear me making fun of anyone doing something to increase their enjoyment of the game. Golf is about having fun, if a Chipper helps you shoot better and have more fun, go for it!

I used to have a Wilson chipper. I loved but it was stolen.

Maybe this will help my chipping woes...............willing to try anything about now. Good for you in coming out. It may give others hope in doing this same thing.

Maybe this will help my chipping woes...............willing to try anything about now. Good for you in coming out. It may give others hope in doing this same thing.

Bahahahaha!

Practice and a lesson will do more for your chopping woes.

Edit: I spelt chipping wrong, but as per Nates description, it sounds more accurate.

Is there a belly version?

Tapatalk

My father in law had one for years but I have not seen a chipper in a golf shop for years. Of course, I am not looking for one! :act-up:

Chippers scare me. I refuse to ever use one. I'm afraid that I'll end up chipping well with it, better than I currently do, and then I'll be in anguish over possibly bringing it to a tournament.

And bringing a chipper to a pro tournament...that requires something extra.

I own one (leftie version). Got it last spring @ Golf Town for $25. I had room in my bag for more clubs and researched what type of club to add/use. The chipper kept catching my eye. I used it some half dozen rounds and I wasn't stroking well with it. Too many skull shots or little pop ups. It has since remained with my first set of clubs and there it'll stay.
I am a better chipper with irons, etc., anyways and should have been content with that.

Glad it's working for you, Sir Flubs-A-Lot. It's not how it's played, it's how many..that counts.

I certainly don't care if it is a Wilson, Cleveland , Odyssey or even an off brand like Acer, Tiger Shark or Palm Springs, I don't care if it is cast or even forged you are a darn good THPer and you are A-OK in my book. I say anything to improve your game is the way to go. Of course I am not a chipper user my self, but whatever you chose to do in you own golf time is all good bro.

I certainly don't care if it is a Wilson, Cleveland , Odyssey or even an off brand like Acer, Tiger Shark or Palm Springs, I don't care if it is cast or even forged you are a darn good THPer and you are A-OK in my book. I say anything to improve your game is the way to go. Of course I am not a chipper user my self, but whatever you chose to do in you own golf time is all good bro.

THP is such an accepting environment. To see a "chipper" be welcomed open arms into this community is amazing.

Tapatalk

6 months ago, I would have hacked on ya a bit, but the first time I used on, I chipped in. I have since changed my opinion.

Several years ago, before the Niblick, a golfer was using a chipper and I chipped in from 12 yards the first time I borrowed it.

I had a niblick and it taught me how to chip and pitch. No making fun of you here.

Whenever I really struggle withy he short game I practice with a 49* Niblick. It may be a club I never get rid of

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

If it helps your game i'm all for it but i would not use one cause it takes up valuable space in the bag, i like to just use my 8iron to chip!

Adams has a chipper too. I have one of theirs and also a Niblick. My wife stole both.

You guys are great. Does that mean I might be able to go to a THP outing some day and people won't be pointing and laughing behind my back?

Back