TaylorMade R11 Irons - Review Thread - Forum Testing Reviews

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great reviews to all the testers here in this forum. I found a used near mint condition 5-pw,gw,sw with graphite shafts for $515.00 at Ed Watts this weekend. I was not really looking for new irons as I currently am happy with my cleveland TA7 gunmetals, but figured with the glowing reviews and some extra cash I had in my pocket, why not give them a try. Played nine holes with them yesterday and must say I am impressed. They may kick my beloved TA7's out of the bag. I can already tell I am going to love these wedges. I will update after I get more time with these beauties.

Glad to hear you had a good first round with the r11s. I hope you have continued success with them!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great reviews to all the testers here in this forum. I found a used near mint condition 5-pw,gw,sw with graphite shafts for $515.00 at Ed Watts this weekend. I was not really looking for new irons as I currently am happy with my cleveland TA7 gunmetals, but figured with the glowing reviews and some extra cash I had in my pocket, why not give them a try. Played nine holes with them yesterday and must say I am impressed. They may kick my beloved TA7's out of the bag. I can already tell I am going to love these wedges. I will update after I get more time with these beauties.

good stuff the more the play them the more i LOVE them. still stoked to try the C Tapers in these i think its gonna be a great combo for me.

good stuff the more the play them the more i LOVE them. still stoked to try the C Tapers in these i think its gonna be a great combo for me.

That's going to be really good for you man

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Glad to hear you had a good first round with the r11s. I hope you have continued success with them!

Thanks guys. Played another nine last night with them. Didn't score well with them but hit some great shots that flew over the green and a few chips that came off a little hotter than I expected. Just need to get used to them. Right now they are about a half club longer. Face feels really hot on these. Really solid set. I am used to that quiet muted feel of my gunmetals and these a have a nice solid metallic thwack to them. 3 putting three times didn't help my round out either. Overall still really impressed with these irons.

I love these Irons they are treating me every good! And i don't plan on getting any new ones soon. My cousin was looking to buy a new set of clubs so i went with him and swung maybe 5 other sets and walked away not even pondering another make, nothing compared to my loved R11's.

Although I have a very bad back, and my swing could really use a Regular Plus in shafts, right now i have Stiff's and although i can get away with them. I think they they may be a little bit still. And i can really tell once i get to my lower irons. I guess i'll look at KBS website and see what shaft would suit my slower swing speed!

Hey there... I've just joined the "club" and I have to say that this thread is just awesome! I am from the very small country called Liechtenstein, located in the heart of Europe. It's so small that we don't even have an own golf course (funny but true)!!! However there are a lot of great courses near Switzerland and Austria where we are able to play. After this little intermezzo I really want to thank all of you guys. You helped me alot in my decision of choosing the right clubs and I don't regret it! They just feel great! The only struggle I have at the moment is were to put the ball in my stance. I played graphite shafts before and I just realized that I don't have the right moment of impact with my steel shaft anymore. Well, I guess it just needs some more time and practice. I can confirm that the AW and 4-iron play are really great and I'm happy that they are in my bag now. The game just feels easier and I am confident that I can lower my HCP this season. First try to do so is at a tournament tomorrow. As far as I know it works a little different here in Europe. We basically have to play tournaments to lower our HCP. Eventhough I am not sure if tomorrow will be a "kick-ass-day" to lower my HCP (just the 3rd time I'll try them on the course) but I am happy to be able to play... or as Moe Norman would say "Just a walk in the park"-day!

So, keep up the great work!

BTW: also bought the R11 driver and 3 wood... all I can say: Straight cannons! LOVE'M

Hey there... I've just joined the "club" and I have to say that this thread is just awesome! I am from the very small country called Liechtenstein, located in the heart of Europe. It's so small that we don't even have an own golf course (funny but true)!!! However there are a lot of great courses near Switzerland and Austria where we are able to play. After this little intermezzo I really want to thank all of you guys. You helped me alot in my decision of choosing the right clubs and I don't regret it! They just feel great! The only struggle I have at the moment is were to put the ball in my stance. I played graphite shafts before and I just realized that I don't have the right moment of impact with my steel shaft anymore. Well, I guess it just needs some more time and practice. I can confirm that the AW and 4-iron play are really great and I'm happy that they are in my bag now. The game just feels easier and I am confident that I can lower my HCP this season. First try to do so is at a tournament tomorrow. As far as I know it works a little different here in Europe. We basically have to play tournaments to lower our HCP. Eventhough I am not sure if tomorrow will be a "kick-ass-day" to lower my HCP (just the 3rd time I'll try them on the course) but I am happy to be able to play... or as Moe Norman would say "Just a walk in the park"-day!

So, keep up the great work!

BTW: also bought the R11 driver and 3 wood... all I can say: Straight cannons! LOVE'M

Buzzi - Others are more knowledgeable than I and may jump in to say I am all wet, and therefore listen to them... but I would think a graphite shaft is more flexible and thus maybe a little 'later' than a steelshaft through impact. So I would play the ball slightly further back for you for the tourney. Otherwise, I think its a good idea to hit long irons slightly fwd in your stance and mid to short irons in the middle. Just my 2 cents, and listen to others who have more game than me!! Good luck and have fun with R11s.

Last edited:
Hi Jack - Thanks for the reply... I certainly have to try out the new ball position. I can confirm that I was truely later with the graphite. But I'll figure that out... Anyway the tournament was a lot of fun. Managed to score 6 Par's... which was a new record for me and got 2nd in the longest drive competition (eventhough I just hit my 3 Wood - 235 meters). I really felt comfortable with my irons and I can't wait to get into competition again. So long... c'ya!

just dropped my babies off to get reshafted. gonna be a few days and ill be cheating on them saturday for a round i already had planned. but i think it will be worth it in the long run. still such a great iron. Glad people are still loving these irons.

buck did you get the .370? I am pondering that shaft in ctaper. I may order them today

buck did you get the .370? I am pondering that shaft in ctaper. I may order them today

call KBS, mine are pulls from mizunos so they are not right they are gonna need to shim them because they are tapered.

Put my first round on GrandD's R11 irons. WOW! It took me a minute to get used to the lesser offset, but dang are these smooth hitters! I hit them better and better as the day went on; I expect really good things coming up.

Ended up going sub-80 again (only 2nd time) and put at least a half dozen approaches just right AT the pin. Again, wow.

Put my first round on GrandD's R11 irons. WOW! It took me a minute to get used to the lesser offset, but dang are these smooth hitters! I hit them better and better as the day went on; I expect really good things coming up.

Ended up going sub-80 again (only 2nd time) and put at least a half dozen approaches just right AT the pin. Again, wow.

That is awesome dude! Congrats on the sub 80!

Had another great day with the R11's. Shot 74 with 3 birdies and had four 3 put greens, due to them just being aerated. Can't say enough good things about these irons.

Earl

I went to hit the R11's yesterday and I tried out the stiff and regular. For once in my life I felt like I could hit the stiff irons much better than the regular ones. Maybe it was just the forgiveness of the R11's that I absolutely loved.

I hope I can muster up the funds for these west irons-I may wait till the end of the year and snag them at a way reduced price hah

I am not an official reviewer, but wanted to say thanks to all that did a great job. I bought these irons recently based on the feedback of these reviewers. These irons are phenomenal, 1/2 club longer than my burner 2.0's. I love the look and feel and the ball flight is fantastic. I again love my 4 iron which is closing in on Hybrid distance. Thanks all.

Since I have nothing to do at all during the day this week I plan on taking pics of the face of each of my irons to show the wear I have seen. I will also be able to point out the difference from when they first arrived and the lie angle was wrong compared to after I got them bent to the correct lie angle. I will probably get that up tomorrow. Glad a lot of people are getting along with these irons.

I am not an official reviewer, but wanted to say thanks to all that did a great job. I bought these irons recently based on the feedback of these reviewers. These irons are phenomenal, 1/2 club longer than my burner 2.0's. I love the look and feel and the ball flight is fantastic. I again love my 4 iron which is closing in on Hybrid distance. Thanks all.

Congrats Kevin!!! THe reviewers here certainly did a great job. I know quite a few people , including myself , who bought these clubs based on their comments and just about everyone has been pleased with the results.

Congrats Kevin!!! THe reviewers here certainly did a great job. I know quite a few people , including myself , who bought these clubs based on their comments and just about everyone has been pleased with the results.

I am one of those of bought them because of the reviews as well, they couldnt have been more spot on either IMO.

Since I have nothing to do at all during the day this week I plan on taking pics of the face of each of my irons to show the wear I have seen. I will also be able to point out the difference from when they first arrived and the lie angle was wrong compared to after I got them bent to the correct lie angle. I will probably get that up tomorrow. Glad a lot of people are getting along with these irons.

Hey here is a crazy idea... go play golf!!! lol

hahaha

Face Wear Update

Face Wear Update

Hey everybody just wanted to get this little update up showing the wear I have seen so far on my R11 irons. I have had these since the end of last season, I think they arrived late September early October if I remember correctly. When they first arrived I custom ordered them 2* upright and +1/4" in length and noticed I was hitting everything off the toe, way out on the toe at that. I went and had the lie angle checked and they were actually shipped 3* upright so after getting on the lie board and getting this corrected my results were 95% better, my miss anyway is towards the toe and that is with all clubs so thats why I say 95%. In these pics all the marks you see way way out on the toe are from when I first got them and before I had the lie angle corrected, the rest are after I had them fixed. As you will be able to tell I am not a perfect ball striker, but after saying that I am consistently hitting the sweet spot or very very close to it. I do not have those huge toe misses anymore. I did not take any pics of the sole or cavity because they show absolutely no wear at all, these irons are durable! Anyway enough of my rambling here are the pics.

6 Iron Wear (least used iron and it shows, almost no wear showing, I hit this iron great though when needed)
R116ironwear.jpg

7 Iron Wear (most used on the range along with the 8 iron)
R117ironwear.jpg

8 Iron Wear (most used club on the range along with the 7 iron, 8 iron gets a lot of use on course as well)
R118ironwear.jpg

9 Iron Wear (used some on the range and also on the course, seems im always either right at 8 iron or PW distance,doesnt show much wear but it does get used)
R119ironwear.jpg

PW Wear (one of my favorite irons out of the set, consistent comes to mind, hit it straight and high and it lands very soft and great spin as well)
R11PWwear.jpg

Now here is a pic of my 7 iron after having the lie angle fixed after about 20 balls on the range.
R117ironsweetspot-1.jpg

After its all said and done I am very very happy with these irons and how durable they are, the only irons that really show noticeable wear are the ones most used on the range which are the 7 and 8 iron and of course gritty range balls will do that. Thats all for now, hope this gives you a little idea of how they wear and how important having the correct lie angle is.

Back