Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello THP folks. First time poster and glad to have found THP.

I have been playing socially for 15 years and decided to start playing competitive golf earlier this year. I was given some golf shop vouchers and some lessons for my birthday. My current clubs are an old-ish Brosnan set that I bought second-hand from eBay. The driver is metal but it is much smaller than the new breed of drivers. It has a small face and head that is difficult to hit as well as being unforgiving. The irons are reasonable, and I had them fitted earlier this year with new grips. I struggle to hit the longer irons with distance and consistency, but have found the shorter irons to be easier to hit. I normally hit irons off the tee at my course that is short in yardage. I have been thinking of getting 3 new irons with my vouchers then building up a full set as I get the money.

I had my first lesson yesterday and the pro worked on my setup to achieve better consistency and ball flight. He suggested that instead of the irons, I should get a new driver before turning my attention to irons.

For someone who is a 95-106 stroke player, who struggles for direction and consistency and playing on a short course (there are a number of 270-300m par-4's and only one par-5) what would you recommend is my essential purchase? 3 new irons (I'm thinking Taylormade Rocketballz) or a Driver?

Looking forward to the THP wisdom!

Well if you were going to say a new "set" of irons I'd suggest irons. But if your only planning on buying a few irons to mix and mingle through an existing set then that's probably gonna hurt you more than help you. Playing all different weights, lofts, shafts, flexes, swingweights, different turf interaction, different ball flights... etc. between the two sets will mess with you bro.

If I were you, and this is just personal preference, I would wait until I had the money to buy a new iron SET.

Welcome to THP BTW. You're gonna love it here!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Well if you were going to say a new "set" of irons I'd suggest irons. But if your only planning on buying a few irons to mix and mingle through an existing set then that's probably gonna hurt you more than help you. Playing all different weights, lofts, shafts, flexes, swingweights, different turf interaction, different ball flights... etc. between the two sets will mess with you bro.
Thanks for the welcome!

My plans are to build up a set of the same irons that have been properly fitted. The first three I would get would be 5, 7, and 9 and fill in the gaps as I am able. I would try to only use the new clubs when I play to avoid the problem of the two different types of clubs that you mention.

Thanks for the welcome!

My plans are to build up a set of the same irons that have been properly fitted. The first three I would get would be 5, 7, and 9 and fill in the gaps as I am able. I would try to only use the new clubs when I play to avoid the problem of the two different types of clubs that you mention.

Well, if you do it. I'd say go irons. If you struggle with distance and direction then a driver is only going to get you into more trouble more than likely.

Groove a bit of a swing and pick up the driver later when you can use it to reliably put yourself in play.

Pondering a 910F 13.5 degree with a PX Tour Issue X 7C3 off the used rack at GS....

Random pondering:

The Mashie FW is absolutely better looking in hand and at address. That is a damn good looking fairway and I cannot wait to get out tomorrow and get it on the course.

Thanks for the welcome!

I really don't see this being a good idea. I would keep working on your game with your current clubs while you work on saving up for a new set of sticks. For one you can save a good amount of dough buying a good deal on a set of irons, so in the long run your idea would end up costing you more money. Also there is a reason irons come in a set, trying to play a round with only 3 irons just isn't going to be in your best interest long term. IMO anyway.

With all the love it gets here, I'm not even going to tell you what I'm eyeing on eBay till its over.

Couple of new bettis. Social was Friday this could get expensive.

rtparty: Remember that those will all alter the launch you're getting mate. Make sure to check out the launch angle when you demo the 910+RIP as that will help narrow things down from 5 to probably 1 or 2.

rtparty: Remember that those will all alter the launch you're getting mate. Make sure to check out the launch angle when you demo the 910+RIP as that will help narrow things down from 5 to probably 1 or 2.

Will do. The place I'm going has a titleist fitting cart so I hope they have a few shafts to mess around with.

Thanks for all your help man.

Edit: they don't have the RIP in the 70 but they have it in the stock 60. It is time to head out and go see what shafts they do have available.

Now pondering the wait for B9 to get in the Fubuki from Mitsubishi so they can build my XTD and the ETA on the Launch Lab. Not in a hurry as I know both are truly worth the wait for what I'm getting, just anxious like a little kid!!

Now pondering the wait for B9 to get in the Fubuki from Mitsubishi so they can build my XTD and the ETA on the Launch Lab. Not in a hurry as I know both are truly worth the wait for what I'm getting, just anxious like a little kid!!

Been pondering a switch from my RBZ Tour FW and hybo to the XTD as well. Better looking and a ton easier to hit off the deck. Comparable distances as well.

Torn between new irons. Time to retire the G15s. Either RBZ, R11, or Callaway razor black. What do you think?

Been pondering a switch from my RBZ Tour FW and hybo to the XTD as well. Better looking and a ton easier to hit off the deck. Comparable distances as well.

I'm excited, the Mashie TF3 should be an animal off the tee and a fairway finder for all off the short par 4's on alot of courses I play (trying to make myself realize I don't have to take driver all the time still, ongoing battle) and the 19* XTD will actually cover a much larger gamut as well because of the distance, from off the tee to off the deck on longer holes.

I'm genuinely excited about the setup I'm gong to end up with.

Torn between new irons. Time to retire the G15s. Either RBZ, R11, or Callaway razor black. What do you think?

All good options. If I were to pick I'd personally go R11. Get what you hit/like best though.

All good options. If I were to pick I'd personally go R11. Get what you hit/like best though.

That is my number 1 choice but going to hit them all. Thanks for insight.

If you're gonna hit the R11's, give the i20's a shot too, you might be surprised at how forgiving they really are.

Just make sure to get fit. I just got new irons and I had to take a step back and not be biased towards one club.

I wasn't a big TaylorMade fan a few months ago but the numbers didn't lie. I was set to go with Nike at the beginning and really enjoyed them but the numbers showed KBS shafts to be the best for me and Nike wanted a ton of extra money to play that shaft. When I hit the TaylorMade with the KBS shaft, it was a done deal.

Any reason why? Between the RBZ and the R11s I don't know what could be gained, but that's just me. The RBZ have a huge testing thread as do the r11s.

I'm new to the sight and have looked at both threads. Both seem to get rave reviews. On the RBZ thread, there are comments of no difference. On the R11 thread, they say go with the r11s over the Rbzs. Just have to hit them myself I guess.

Will do. The place I'm going has a titleist fitting cart so I hope they have a few shafts to mess around with.

Thanks for all your help man.

Edit: they don't have the RIP in the 70 but they have it in the stock 60. It is time to head out and go see what shafts they do have available.

If you can hold out a month or so, I would. The 913 should be showing up on tour soon, releasing in the fall. Once word of this gets out, the price of the 910's should come down.

If you can't wait, I totally understand, just thought I'd throw it out there dude...

I am pondering putting a Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.1 X Flex into the 910D2. Any insight into this shaft?

I am pondering putting a Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.1 X Flex into the 910D2. Any insight into this shaft?

Mid/high kick, mid low launch and spin. Super stable, has a very small dispertion window, fairly smooth but plays VERY stout. Fuji's shafts are always stiffer then you think and launch lower then you expect from a "mid" launch labeled shaft. Pretty much along the lines of Matrix in that regards actually.

Dhjkelly is playing the RX blacks in the Morgan Cup. I have hit them a few times now and they are ridiculously forgiving

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Pondering a 910F 13.5 degree with a PX Tour Issue X 7C3 off the used rack at GS....

ST,

What do you think of that shaft paired to a 13.5* 3 wood? I read about it on Custom Shaft guid on Titleist website and its seems like an odd shaft to put in a 3metal, especially one with a 13.5* head. I don't have much experince with a Project X shafts, but this one felt really good and smooth. Probably the first PX shaft I have liked. I'm really pondering this one hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back