Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I am still working on how high to tee it, but also take a look at where the ball is in your stance. I moved mine about half a ball back and it made quite a bit of difference.
I'm definitely going to try that. I play the epoch tee's but I should be able to get an idea of where to play it on those.

Looking forward to seeing this in person. What kind of ball flight are you seeing with that combo when you tee it down a little?

I'm terrible at describing ballflight in terms of height because I always feel like I should hit it higher than I do, but that being said, I saw a little bit more of a penetrating flight by teeing it down. I was trying to tee the ball pretty high in the past to get that "high launch, low spin" by hitting the ball at the top of the clubface, but I'm finding that it feels better to tee it down a little bit.

I'm terrible at describing ballflight in terms of height because I always feel like I should hit it higher than I do, but that being said, I saw a little bit more of a penetrating flight by teeing it down. I was trying to tee the ball pretty high in the past to get that "high launch, low spin" by hitting the ball at the top of the clubface, but I'm finding that it feels better to tee it down a little bit.

Gotcha. I am fighting with tee height myself at the moment and was just curious to see what kind of difference it was making with you.

Thanks for the post. You have helped me decide to start with the 290 before I order a 310. I am worried that the shaft wouldn't be stiff enough as I am about the same index as you with a SS of 106-108. I'm usually play an x flex but I am going with the stiff due to recent knee surgery. I can always pull the shaft and tip it as I normally play my driver at 44.5". I too will have to hand select one as I am very sensitive to a closed face on a driver. Hopefully the golf shop here will have several in stock.

As I said in my post, I went through every 290 they had in stock to find one that was a little open. All the manufacturers have around a 1 degree tolerance with respect to the castings, so it is not unusual to find heads that range from 1* closed to 1* open if they are stated to be square as a stock face angle. It is a time consuming process that most stores don't appreciate (means taking the shrink wrap off every head, etc, etc.) I am lucky in that I am a good enough client that my friend who is the manager at a local retailer doesn' mind.

The same tolerances hold true for loft angles in drivers. That is why when you demo a club and find one you hit really well and you walk back to the rack and take a nice shiny new shrink-wrapped head to buy and take home, you sometimes notice fairly significant performance differences between the one you demo'ed and the one you take home. I believe that if you are going to put a few hundred bucks down on the latest driver, make certain you hit it on the launch monitor before you walk out the store, to make certain that what you are taking home actually works for you.

A

I've been teeing it down a lot lately too and have hit some really nice penetrating shots. I also moved the ball back in my stance about a ball or two.

I had the Kusala Blue 61S shaft installed in my Classic today. I needed a bit heavier shaft to help my consistency. I am anxiously awaiting tomorrow as I'm gonna bust me some balls :blob:!

I had the Kusala Blue 61S shaft installed in my Classic today. I needed a bit heavier shaft to help my consistency. I am anxiously awaiting tomorrow as I'm gonna bust me some balls :blob:!

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, OG. I loved my Classic with the Blue shaft, and miss it terribly. I just got the replacement shaft, so now I'm waiting for my replacement driver.

Hope to come home tomorrow to a 12* Classic sitting at my door. I will not have time to swap shafts so the stock C Kua will have to due for Sundays round.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts, OG. I loved my Classic with the Blue shaft, and miss it terribly. I just got the replacement shaft, so now I'm waiting for my replacement driver.

Dude I feel like a kid in the candy store, a hog in a corn bin, a puppy under the Christmas tree! I can see some scores going downtown in my immediate future :thumb:

Just trust it buddy! Good luck with her.

This driver has been fantastic for me. I just know what it's going to do for me and that's huge.

I am still working on how high to tee it, but also take a look at where the ball is in your stance. I moved mine about half a ball back and it made quite a bit of difference.

Out of curiousity, what effect did moving the ball back in your stance have on your ball flight?

Thoughts on the 61 vs 72 Kusala blue shaft in the Classic? I am not sure which one to order and really do not know if its a big enough weight difference to even worry about. This will be going in a 12* head. I am right around 100mph SS if that helps. I have the Diamana blueboard in my 10.5 now if that means anything.

I was catching it to low on the face during the upswing, so moving it back brought it up the club face nearer the sweet spot.

I have not been able to get a hold of that 12* classic with the Kusula Black in it yet but were still trying to get a date that works, mainly for him as im free 99% of the weekends. I will update this thread once I do get to hit it compared to my current driver.

Just trust it buddy! Good luck with her.

This driver has been fantastic for me. I just know what it's going to do for me and that's huge.

I think it's going to be a game changer because I have been hitting more out of the woods than a bear lately. Not fun :bulgy-eyes:

When my timing was spot on the 43 gram shaft worked well. I just could not get that groove with the lighter shaft. I going to trust it and bust it!

Thoughts on the 61 vs 72 Kusala blue shaft in the Classic? I am not sure which one to order and really do not know if its a big enough weight difference to even worry about. This will be going in a 12* head. I am right around 100mph SS if that helps. I have the Diamana blueboard in my 10.5 now if that means anything.

I have owned and gamed the 61 and 72 Kusala Black's and I ordered the 61 series for my Classic. I just am finding that i prefer shafts for a driver in that weight range more. It doesn't seem to fatigue me as much as the heavier stuff.

Just going over some stats from SkyCaddie on my FIR since I've had the CC.

Interesting findings I made were the amount of FIR's I've picked up since my last couple drivers.

Titleist 910D2: -2.3
Taylormade R11S: -3.6

That's +2.95 FIR a round when comparing to the average of the 2 others. Those are pretty big numbers and a glaring testament to how friendly the CC is if you ask me.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I was catching it to low on the face during the upswing, so moving it back brought it up the club face nearer the sweet spot.

I'm tending to hit it a little high on the face, so between tee height and ball position, I'm hoping I can find the magic combination. I hit some bombs with it my first time out and have struggled a bit since then.

All other things being equal, what effect does a heavier shaft have on the club performance?

All other things being equal, what effect does a heavier shaft have on the club performance?

In my experiences, a slightly lower ball flight.

Just going over some stats from SkyCaddie on my FIR since I've had the CC.

Interesting findings I made were the amount of FIR's I've picked up since my last couple drivers.

Titleist 910D2: -2.3
Taylormade R11S: -3.6

That's +2.95 FIR a round when comparing to the average of the 2 others. Those are pretty big numbers and a glaring testament to how friendly the CC is if you ask me.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

That's a cool statistic Colt. I've said it a few times, but I don't know if the CLassic is the longest driver I've hit or owned, but it's the most consistent. I just know what to expect from it and that's pretty key in being successful at golf.

No doubt TC can answer this better than I however for me it's a personal thing. I just have a better tempo with more junk in the trunk.

I have owned and gamed the 61 and 72 Kusala Black's and I ordered the 61 series for my Classic. I just am finding that i prefer shafts for a driver in that weight range more. It doesn't seem to fatigue me as much as the heavier stuff.

10-4, thanks man. I may just order the 61, cant remember what weight JB has in his but it felt good.

Really interesting to see that a lot of you guys are playing around with tee heights too, I thought it was just me with this driver, also good to hear some thoughts on stance as well. I'm finding it works better for me if I play it so the top to top half of the ball is showing above the crown, but I'm also putting it pretty forward in my stance, I might also try teeing it a bit lower but further back, thanks to all for their input, love this thread!

10-4, thanks man. I may just order the 61, cant remember what weight JB has in his but it felt good.

I'm pretty sure that JB has the Blue 61 in his Classic, which is actually 59 grams. I have the Blue 61 in my driver right now. The Blue 72 will actually be 67 grams. If you've got the real-deal Blueboard in your driver right now, it is 63 grams, so you could go either way with it. The overall weight of the club if you're going to get the 290 will be a little lighter, so you'll have to adjust to that.

No doubt TC can answer this better than I however for me it's a personal thing. I just have a better tempo with more junk in the trunk.

Heavier shaft can result in better tempo for some people, like what Ole Gray is talking about. I am somewhat the same way, when I was fit a couple of years ago my best results were with a Fubuki 73, I actually had better ballspeed numbers with that shaft vs the Fubuki 73. Most companies will have their shafts play stiffer as the weights go up, which can result in the lower ballflight that TC talked about. Miyazaki is an exception in that you can get the same flex code in different weights, so that the Blue 61 and Blue 72 (for example) should play the same except for the different weights.

Back