Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I'm pretty sure that JB has the Blue 61 in his Classic, which is actually 59 grams. I have the Blue 61 in my driver right now. The Blue 72 will actually be 67 grams. If you've got the real-deal Blueboard in your driver right now, it is 63 grams, so you could go either way with it. The overall weight of the club if you're going to get the 290 will be a little lighter, so you'll have to adjust to that.

Heavier shaft can result in better tempo for some people, like what Ole Gray is talking about. I am somewhat the same way, when I was fit a couple of years ago my best results were with a Fubuki 73, I actually had better ballspeed numbers with that shaft vs the Fubuki 73. Most companies will have their shafts play stiffer as the weights go up, which can result in the lower ballflight that TC talked about. Miyazaki is an exception in that you can get the same flex code in different weights, so that the Blue 61 and Blue 72 (for example) should play the same except for the different weights.

This is really good info!

Well I hope to have the classic in hand tomorrow, and in play this weekend. Looking forward to seeing it perform

Good luck with it golfdawg, and solid info ary!

I know this is probably a huge skim, but does anyone have the 310 with the stock kusala black?

I know this is probably a huge skim, but does anyone have the 310 with the stock kusala black?

I think Biggsy has that set up for his MC driver.

Last edited:
Lot's of love for this driver coming from me after hitting both the 290 and 310 today outside in different loft/flex combinations. The head on this driver is simply the best looking head I've seen that isn't persimmon. I still have a few persimmon drivers and 3 woods from my high school golf days and I guess I'm a sucker for the old nostalgic driver look. I am going to own one of these in the next week but here's my dilema. LOVE the look of the 290 head even though it's a 1 degree or so closed. The sound is very muted - easily the most solid, best sound of any modern driver. The 43 gram stock stiff shaft on the 290 head is not stiff enough for me - better than expected for it ultra light weight but still a balloon flight for a high ball hitter like me. The Kusala 61 gram stiff shaft in the 310 is a stable, great feeling shaft but is special order if I want the 290 head - about $400. I really dont want to wait(golf vacation in 10 days) so I may buy a 290 with a stock x-flex 43 gram shaft and put a heavier shaft in it later if I don't like it. For me on the range the 9* 290 with the stiff 43 gram shaft had a higher fall flight than a 10.5* 310 with the Kusala 61s shaft. The 310 had better launch monitor numbers for me also but I'm convinced it was the shaft and not the head. Backspin with the 310 Kusala was 2400 rpm vs 2900 for the 43 gram C. Kua in the 290 head. One thing is certain, I love the look of the 290 head so much that I WILL find a shaft that works great with it!

wow...lots of Classic love lately! that's awesome.
it's such a great feeling to be able to rep a class act company like Cleveland...and then when you see people not only purchasing these drivers, but then absolutely loving and bombing these drivers...you can't help but feel proud and maybe 1% responsible for their decision by the rep put in.

Ary - you're a beast!

Last edited:
Lot's of love for this driver coming from me after hitting both the 290 and 310 today outside in different loft/flex combinations. The head on this driver is simply the best looking head I've seen that isn't persimmon. I still have a few persimmon drivers and 3 woods from my high school golf days and I guess I'm a sucker for the old nostalgic driver look. I am going to own one of these in the next week but here's my dilema. LOVE the look of the 290 head even though it's a 1 degree or so closed. The 43 gram stock stiff shaft on the 290 head is not stiff enough for me - better than expected for it ultra light weight but still a balloon flight for a high ball hitter like me. The Kusala 61 gram stiff shaft in the 310 is a stable, great feeling shaft but is special order if I want the 290 head - about $400. I really dont want to wait(golf vacation in 10 days) so I may buy a 290 with a stock x-flex 43 gram shaft and put a heavier shaft in it later if I don't like it. For me on the range the 9* 290 with the stiff 43 gram shaft had a higher fall flight than a 10.5* 310 with the Kusala 61s shaft. The 310 had better launch monitor numbers for me also but I'm convinced it was the shaft and not the head. Backspin with the 310 Kusala was 2400 rpm vs 2900 for the 43 gram C. Kua in the 290 head. One thing is certain, I love the look of the 290 head so much that I WILL find a shaft that works great with it!

I donthe

Very useful info, thanks!

I'm pretty sure that JB has the Blue 61 in his Classic, which is actually 59 grams. I have the Blue 61 in my driver right now. The Blue 72 will actually be 67 grams. If you've got the real-deal Blueboard in your driver right now, it is 63 grams, so you could go either way with it. The overall weight of the club if you're going to get the 290 will be a little lighter, so you'll have to adjust to that.

Thanks Ary, I like the weight of the blueboard so I will go with the 61.

All other things being equal, what effect does a heavier shaft have on the club performance?
Lower flight. I've found that the heavier shaft works well with quicker tempo or transition swings. I've found it brought my flight path down and eliminated some balloon shots I would get when fighting wind.

Thoughts on the 61 vs 72 Kusala blue shaft in the Classic? I am not sure which one to order and really do not know if its a big enough weight difference to even worry about. This will be going in a 12* head. I am right around 100mph SS if that helps. I have the Diamana blueboard in my 10.5 now if that means anything.
61 would be my recommendation. Like Ary said, you are going to be up or down in terms of weight from what you are right now and you might not be able to tell the difference. It's not like you are going to

I always felt the blue felt more rigid for some reason, but I am definitely in the minority, some guys absolutely love that shaft.

This club really clicked for me last time I was out. I hit some of the longest drives I have hit with it. It didn't get me in trouble off the tee, except, when it went longer than expected. I had had a couple of troubling slice shots that I wanted to blame on the open face of the 310, but in actuality it was just a bad swing.

Can't tell you how good this combo feels, especially when you get it on the screws. It's pure bliss.

It's finally coming around and performing like the club I knew it would.

thank you Cleveland for supplying this fantastic Cleveland Classic Driver. You make the best equipment!

I have issues, I was in the gym this morning at 5 am, thinking about getting my hands on the Classic 290 today (fingers crossed), and second I was reciting the Miyazaki international Flex codes in my head which I seem to look at on a daily basis, just trying to figure out my next step if the 43s stock does not work.

My Accra XT60, weighs 69g, CPM is 282 and Torque is 3.5, and when I flush my 07 burner TP it’s very nice 280+, but my bad swings loose a fair bit (220-240) because I believe my shaft is just a bit too strong. The white 61x looks like it could be a good match, 64g, and CPM 273 with the same torque

I had asked in a e-mail what shaft would compare to my current driver, and I got two responses back. Some great feedback, and I copied them below.

“The Flex Code for the Accra Axiv XT60 M5 X Flex is 6861. The shaft that compares to your current shaft would be the Miyazaki Kusala White (72x, 61x, or 56x) which has a high ball flight and the Flex Code is 6852. That shaft comes in weights 72g, 64g, or 57 g.

Regards, customer service.”

“Hi.

It has similar characteristics to White in our line. You might want to try the 61 X tipped 1 "

Tim Gillis
Director of Sales
Miyazaki Golf Shafts”

Tim is a shaft genius and getting a response like that from him is pretty awesome.

Tim is a shaft genius and getting a response like that from him is pretty awesome.

Yea was nice to get two responses one from customer service, and one from Tim pointing to the same shaft. The one reason I am not afraid to go with the stock 43s in the classic 290, is because I have it in my 3wood and I hit it better, and further than any 3 wood I have ever had.

That's the way I found out that I liked the 43S as well.

a little late coming in to the flight talk but my experience has been good, yet a little mixed...
i've got the CC310 with the Blue 61g stiff.
i can hit a high fade/cut, but have yet to hit a high draw. when i hit it straight or hit a slight draw, i see a more mid level penetrating ball flight. I honestly would like it to be a little higher, but i cannot complain with the results i've been seeing. i mean, with my current swing and setup, it might not even be possible to see that big high draw.

i've found that if i tee it a little too high, i can easily hit a pop fly. i recently picked up some epoch tees, but still measure tee height with my finger...

Just got a call from Golfsmith that my Classic has arrived! Whew! Can't wait to hit it again...I missed mine terribly.

Tapping from my S3

Just got a call from Golfsmith that my Classic has arrived! Whew! Can't wait to hit it again...I missed mine terribly.

Yep, just walked out of GG after trading in some old clubs, 40 coupon, and now filling out the mail in rebate. Hope the rain holds off and i can get out on the range tonight. Just walking out there with the Classic and a large bucket.

Classic Mania! I love it.

I got out for nine holes today and got to hit the Kusala 61g stiff Blue for the first time. Busted it straight as a string with a ton of roll out. Ball flight was a mid trajectory which I am pleased with. I let one of my younger friends who hits the ball much further than I, try it on a hole that I had hit a low draw up the middle on. He hit it high (tremendous swing speed) and it looked very long. We got to our balls and he was only like 10 yards further because I had hit a mid high missile, that had to roll out a ton. With it being my first time with this shaft as opposed to the stock 43g stiff c kua, I am loving the roll out I am seeing. I had a pretty good round going too with two birds and a bogey through five holes, until I blew one through the fairway on #6 for a double. Next hole I hit a beautiful low stinger type draw that run out againn too far into trouble again. Limped in with bogies but I can tell this combo is going to be lethal. It's really wet and soggy in Georgia right now so once it drys up again, this thing will put a roll on the ball like a bob sled down an ice mountain :bulgy-eyes:!

Excellent OG! I figured it would work a treat for you.

Just got my Classic back from Cleveland after the shaft came loose. Took it to the range to smash some balls. Almost forgot how much I love this stick. I'm working on my backswing to correct a big issue that has crept into my game these last couple months (thank you Golftec as usual for getting me back on track). Between the fix and the Classic, range balls were getting reintroduced to the 300 yard sign on the range.

On a down note, as I was putting my driver away, I looked down and noticed that the little Classic badge in the sole was completely missing! I had a quick look around, but who knows how far it launched out into the range on one of the swings. I don't think the missing badge will affect the performance of the driver, and I really don't want to send the driver in again after just getting it. Has this happened to anyone else?

Just got my Classic back from Cleveland after the shaft came loose. Took it to the range to smash some balls. Almost forgot how much I love this stick. I'm working on my backswing to correct a big issue that has crept into my game these last couple months (thank you Golftec as usual for getting me back on track). Between the fix and the Classic, range balls were getting reintroduced to the 300 yard sign on the range.

On a down note, as I was putting my driver away, I looked down and noticed that the little Classic badge in the sole was completely missing! I had a quick look around, but who knows how far it launched out into the range on one of the swings. I don't think the missing badge will affect the performance of the driver, and I really don't want to send the driver in again after just getting it. Has this happened to anyone else?

I've only had mine for a short time but will certainly keeping an eye on it.

Umm...wow! Can't say that I've ever seen the sole issue. I'll definitely keep my eye on it. Glad that our Classics have come back, however I have to take my new Miyazaki blue shaft in to golfsmith tomorrow to get it put in to the club again...

Back