What does the Morgan Cup mean to you?

To me The Morgan Cup is something I would love to be involved in. I think it is an innovative idea to put your Average Joe golfer in the shoes of a pro for a short while. I can't imagine that I would be involved in it because I feel that THP is not a huge part of my life where it is much more to other people. I look at some of the post counts and think, "Is THP all these people do?" Tens of thousands of posts is pretty crazy! I just don't have that kind of time and dedication. The main reason I believe I am not as attached to THP is that I have absolutely no familiarity with anyone on here. Sure I have talked back and forth on a screen to a few people, but I have never met anyone on here face to face. Wouldn't know you all if I fell over you.

It actually makes it difficult to be on here at times because there are people who are very close, who know each other, who golf with each other, and it makes you feel like an outsider getting in the way at times. I saw the word "Clique-ish" mentioned and it is true to a point. Especially in Morgan Cup threads. I usually just stay away from them. This is actually the first one I have ever posted on. It is a bunch of people with this common thread (pardon the pun) who are all super excited about an amazing opportunity that has come their way. I am not a part of it and can't understand what they are thinking or how they are feeling. I would pick a side but I would have no reason to cheer for one team or the other. It really doesn't make a difference to me. And I don't know you all well enough to get in on the trash talking or anything like that. Who am I to say something about a guy I have never met, even if it is in good fun? Being a part of TMC would eliminate some of this and it is the only way I would ever get to meet a handful of you. That's what would make it a cool thing for me. Even the Demo Days would be something to get excited about, but I haven't a chance to get involved in those either.

It would be cool to get a new set of clubs, play golf at a really nice course, get treated like a pro, and all of the other perks that come with being a MC'er, but I would really like to be involved to just meet some of these people who share a passion for golf like me. I would love nothing more than to be in MC 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 6.0 if they happen, but if not I will settle for avatars and screen names.

The Morgan Cup is not what brings me to the site, it is the shared love of golf from the people on THP. Love it or hate it, that's why I am here.

Great post man. That makes sense to me. I have a lot of posts but I've been here a while too. I think youale a great point in that a lot of us personally know each other.

Great post man. That makes sense to me. I have a lot of posts but I've been here a while too. I think youale a great point in that a lot of us personally know each other.
I could see how it might be hard to get involved in the MC threads not having met a lot of the staffers, but there are many that I have never met that i feel like I have known forever.

I could see how it might be hard to get involved in the MC threads not having met a lot of the staffers, but there are many that I have never met that i feel like I have known forever.

*waves at you*

I think a lot of it takes time too. You learn peoples personalities and you really get to know them if you make an effort to. I've never met you or TC but I feel like I know you both.

Bahester, I sort of like your point about having the prep stuff take so long. It is kind of hard to get excited for these guys day after day, but I do try because it's an awesome experience. Although if you think about it, so much is done for these guys that it almost has to be that long. Stuff has been happening for them and to them pretty consistantly since day 1 up until now. The event is getting really close and the forum as a whole seems to be gearing up for the weekend now.

Heck, I've only been here since last fall and I feel like I know quite a few people here personally. I know it might be difficult, but I feel like vie gotten a lot from THP from just jumping in the deep end.

Really great and honest posts bahester and Caper. I know as a Morgan Cupper and long time THP'er I can speak for a lot of people and say that we appreciate your opinion and share your love for THP. Caper, we'd love to see you jump more into some of the MC threads but I totally get what you're saying too.

Caper you make a lot of sense there dude. It is hard connecting to an avatar and a name but you'll soon see how quick you get to know people around here. Post counts will sneak up on you in heartbeat, jump in a tour event thread and talk golf, you'll rack up a ton of post before you know it and get to know quite a few people and you'll notice its much the same as watching with your friends at home. It's family around here.

Truth. I've never met quite a few of my teammates but I already feel like I know them. Some people do well with putting themselves out there some don't. No right or wrong way.

--
Tapatalk2

Heck, I've only been here since last fall and I feel like I know quite a few people here personally. I know it might be difficult, but I feel like vie gotten a lot from THP from just jumping in the deep end.

Nate I think you've been basically a prime example of what THP is all about. We've been here roughly the same amount of time but man you have really jumped in and just embraced everything. You're one of the people in my head that really sticks out that's not a participant (along with War Eagle, Frank, Freddie, etc) and I commend you for that.

You just kind of have to jump in... Connect with some folk and find some that live near you. Maybe go to/help organize a local gathering to play. And then plan a little vacation to the annual THP outing.

It's how most of us start... I came on in, what, April or May this year. Capers, it will become like family, a family you make versus one you're born into.

Caper you make a lot of sense there dude. It is hard connecting to an avatar and a name but you'll soon see how quick you get to know people around here. Post counts will sneak up on you in heartbeat, jump in a tour event thread and talk golf, you'll rack up a ton of post before you know it and get to know quite a few people and you'll notice its much the same as watching with your friends at home. It's family around here.

Truth. I've never met quite a few of my teammates but I already feel like I know them. Some people do well with putting themselves out there some don't. No right or wrong way.

--
Tapatalk2

When I felt I was starting to get to know some people last year in the summer, I left for a job and was without internet for 10+ months. I have had no problems with anyone on here and everyone seems nice and all. I just find it hard to REALLY connect with someone through a computed screen. It might just be my personality and the way I am wired. If I meet you once, I will never forget who you are though.

I have learned a ton on THP and will always take that with me. It's just hard to get to know someone when there is a screen in the way.

You just kind of have to jump in... Connect with some folk and find some that live near you. Maybe go to/help organize a local gathering to play. And then plan a little vacation to the annual THP outing.

It's how most of us start... I came on in, what, April or May this year. Capers, it will become like family, a family you make versus one you're born into.

I would love nothing more than that, but it is just unrealistic for me. I live and teach in Northern Canada 10+ months of the year, where I am 99.9% sure there are no THP members, and about as many golf courses. There is no such thing as a "local THP Outing" for me so it would cost $1,000's to attend one. Not realistic at all.

I would love nothing more than that, but it is just unrealistic for me. I live and teach in Northern Canada 10+ months of the year, where I am 99.9% sure there are no THP members, and about as many golf courses. There is no such thing as a "local THP Outing" for me so it would cost $1,000's to attend one. Not realistic at all.

You're not alone in the cost, there were quite a few members that put out a lot of money to attend, I've never been, yet, but I know it'll be worth it someday!!!
http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...Your-cost-for-2012-Outing&highlight=demo+cost

We are in the final days leading up to the event, and it's beginning to hit me more than ever. Not nerves, mind you, but just the realization that it's nearly here. I am so excited about seeing old faces and meeting the rest of the guys who I have gone through this whole process with. It's almost here guys.

All the trash talk has been fun and reading about everyone's excitement about their sponsors, equipment and prep work has been entertaining and informative. As we come down to the final days leading up to this, remember we are all in this together. Winning and losing is not what is important here. It's the event itself, the sponsoring companies and of course the entire forum membership.

Despite anything I may have said, or anything I will be saying outside of this thread in the rest of the days we have left, I wish everyone the best of luck, and win or lose, we are all winners for having this wonderful opportunity.

See you all in a few days!

With the excitement of participants beginning to start receiving Morgan Cup gear, I thought a bump of this was in order. I am interested in what the new guys are thinking, and what the veterans are thinking in their second and/or third Morgan Cups!

Nice bump Smalls. I am really looking forward to my SeeMore fitting to see if the work I have been putting in on the SPi method is working. It will be interesting to see if I am doing as well as I think I am. Guess we will find out in a week.

Nice bump Smalls. I am really looking forward to my SeeMore fitting to see if the work I have been putting in on the SPi method is working. It will be interesting to see if I am doing as well as I think I am. Guess we will find out in a week.

Very well put. I can't wait for my putting coach's critique of my stroke since last year.

I'm feeling much more pressure this time around. I really want to get to know my team far better than I did last year. Outside forces in my life have been insanely hectic. I leave my house at 8:45 and don't get home anywhere from 9-12AM. The free time I do have needs to be dedicated to THP and I feel immense pressure when I am not posting a lot. I think things will get easier for me in the coming months, but I'm stressed. I want to do my best for THP and my sponsor who has been amazing. I have ideas that I want to implement but time is always a factor.

I have truly enjoyed the excitement that the new dudes have brought. The excitement is beginning to build for me. It's just a little different this year. Last year was just a blur. I was just happy to be there. This year I have certain expectations and I think my team is with me on that. I expect to go down there and do well. Not sure if we will win, but I expect us to put forth a great defense of our title.

You have and will do great.

i think for me just seeing Nates Staff Bag today is making it real.... i know friday morning when i get home from work it will really set in if mines waiting for me. i think the little things like the card from Chad and signing the contract with THP will be really cool things that i'll enjoy i'm excited about the equipment but more excited about the competition even if i still havn't been able to start practicing like i'd like with the weather. But i'm also looking forward to making more great friendships and enjoying spending time with old friends. Its nice that some new friendships have already started with talking back and forth with teammates and other callaway staffers. Its gonna be something really special for me and def an experience i will always cherish. Really looking forward to so many things. Its starting to get very real!

An awesome thread to bump, the Morgan Cup is truly an amazing experience and I just feel honored to be a part of the journey, it's amazing to think the journey has just begun!

I'd say I'd add a word to What it means to me?

UNITY

It's not just about the participants, it's about all of us members here on THP, the Morgan Cup wouldn't exist without THP and THP wouldn't exist without every single member!!!

______

Last edited:
I'm feeling much more pressure this time around. I really want to get to know my team far better than I did last year. Outside forces in my life have been insanely hectic. I leave my house at 8:45 and don't get home anywhere from 9-12AM. The free time I do have needs to be dedicated to THP and I feel immense pressure when I am not posting a lot. I think things will get easier for me in the coming months, but I'm stressed. I want to do my best for THP and my sponsor who has been amazing. I have ideas that I want to implement but time is always a factor.

I have truly enjoyed the excitement that the new dudes have brought. The excitement is beginning to build for me. It's just a little different this year. Last year was just a blur. I was just happy to be there. This year I have certain expectations and I think my team is with me on that. I expect to go down there and do well. Not sure if we will win, but I expect us to put forth a great defense of our title.

You've been a great Captain and Champion Chunky, it's been fun reading your interaction in the threads. You are a good Ambassador to the Morgan Cup!

Its really hard to put in words what the Morgan Cup means to me...but I'll certainly try.

First, to me its really a dream come true. Where else on earth will a hack like me get the opportunity over a 8-9 month span to be treated like a tour pro. From the personalized touches each sponsor invests in you, to the contract, to the gear and accessories and finally to the event. There is nothing like this anywhere. Ive sat on the sidelines for the past 2 MC's and was finally able to apply this year and plan on taking full advantage of this great opportunity. That weekend in July for me will be like the finish line in a race. You work so hard for so long on all aspects of your game, knowing your gear and for a weekend in July you lay it all on the line and by Sunday evening we will have all have crossed the finish line. Make no mistake, im going to Myrtle to win, but I will not let that consume me, I will take in this event as it should be, a once in a lifetime chance to fulfill a dream.

During that time Im excited to meet again so many THPERS that Im proud to call my friends and meet the other MCERS and the volunteers that Im hoping to forge similar relationships with. This site and this event has introduced me to people that I really feel will be life long friends and I look forward to adding even more to that group.

There will be only 1 team that hoists the Morgan Cup up on Sunday night, but there will be no losers amongst us. The only way that happens is if between now and then we do not fulfill our obligations as participants and make this event the best its ever been. I want to do my part to make this happen, I want JB and GG to come back the following week blown away by how all of this went down. I want the Sponsors calling them on the following Monday morning with nothing but high praises and ready to commit to the 2014 MC. I want new sponsors to catch wind of this event, how great it was and JB/GG phones ringing off the hook with people looking to jump on board for the future.

A golf panel chose me or this event, I will not let them down
JB/GG have instilled faith in us to fulfill our obligations, I will not let them down
Bridgestone/Bettinardi are sponsoring me in this event, I will not let them down
Im apart of Team Albatross, I will not let my 7 Teammates down
Volunteers are traveling from all over the US to to help make sure this event is the best ever, I will not let them down
Thousands of forum members have invested time and energy in supporting and viewing this event...I will not let YOU down

Last edited:
Back