Today I bought my first bike. I haven't had a bike since I was in high school but now that my kids are old enough to go for some longer rides I went to the local bike shop and bought my first bike as an adult. The family went out and rode around for about and hour and had a great time. The wife and I will take the dog for a faster ride this afternoon when it cools off. Looking forward to getting out once a day at least and hopefully shedding a few pounds in the process.

I started cycling 4 years ago after not owning a bike for 20 years. Now I'm hooked and ride 3-5 days each week from March through October(the other months are reserved for skiing). Riding will definitely make you shed a few pounds and lower your blood pressure and resting heart rate. I feel healthier now at age 47 than I did when I was 30. When I had surgery recently the pre-op nurse took my blood pressure twice because she didn't believe the numbers(102/60).

I just got a new road bike 4 days ago and have been on it the last 3 days. Love a new toy and this is no exception. Carbon frame weighs(BH G5) less than 2lbs and the bike weighs in at 14 lbs. 13 oz. with my bike computer and bottle cages. Great climbing bike for all the foothills and mountains near my house. I have 3 century rides and a 72 mile ride around Lake Tahoe planned for this fall so now I need to watch my beer and bratwurst intake so I drop a few pounds!

Today I bought my first bike. I haven't had a bike since I was in high school but now that my kids are old enough to go for some longer rides I went to the local bike shop and bought my first bike as an adult. The family went out and rode around for about and hour and had a great time. The wife and I will take the dog for a faster ride this afternoon when it cools off. Looking forward to getting out once a day at least and hopefully shedding a few pounds in the process.

What did you get?

I did a 42 mile ride this morning, after riding 34 miles last Saturday, Tuesday, and Thursday, my stamina seems to be improving. That, plus I'm fueling like crazy when I'm riding.

What did you get?

I did a 42 mile ride this morning, after riding 34 miles last Saturday, Tuesday, and Thursday, my stamina seems to be improving. That, plus I'm fueling like crazy when I'm riding.

Good boy!

What did you get?

I got a 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Monona. It was a carry over model that the shop hadn't sold so I got a pretty good deal I think. I know nothing about bikes so I hope it is a decent one.

image2aspx.png

I started cycling 4 years ago after not owning a bike for 20 years. Now I'm hooked and ride 3-5 days each week from March through October(the other months are reserved for skiing). Riding will definitely make you shed a few pounds and lower your blood pressure and resting heart rate. I feel healthier now at age 47 than I did when I was 30. When I had surgery recently the pre-op nurse took my blood pressure twice because she didn't believe the numbers(102/60).

I just got a new road bike 4 days ago and have been on it the last 3 days. Love a new toy and this is no exception. Carbon frame weighs(BH G5) less than 2lbs and the bike weighs in at 14 lbs. 13 oz. with my bike computer and bottle cages. Great climbing bike for all the foothills and mountains near my house. I have 3 century rides and a 72 mile ride around Lake Tahoe planned for this fall so now I need to watch my beer and bratwurst intake so I drop a few pounds!
What bike is it?
I got a 2011 Trek Gary Fisher Monona. It was a carry over model that the shop hadn't sold so I got a pretty good deal I think. I know nothing about bikes so I hope it is a decent one.

image2aspx.png
Yeah buddy, Trek makes a great bike. Looks good dude.

Any recomendations on a comfortable seat?

Nice bike howzat just recently picked up a trek 7.4 and sm loving it. Things get tremendously better when you pick up some padded shorts. Night and day.

Any recomendations on a comfortable seat?

most good bike shops have two things you need for this

a demo program, or a good return policy, because you won't know if it works until after you've used it

and an assometer, a foam thing you sit on that measures your "sit bones" to figure out how wide of a seat you need (some seats come in multiple widths)

Did you get fitted for one.?

I did not get fitted for a seat. Didn't even know you got fitted for such a thing but being on this site long enough I should have figured as much haha. I live in a small town and the local shop only had 3 styles. The stock seat was as good as the other two so now I am in search of one that is more comfotable for longer rides. The shop seemed to do a good job of fitting me for the bike. How do you about getting fit for a seat?

most good bike shops have two things you need for this

a demo program, or a good return policy, because you won't know if it works until after you've used it

and an assometer, a foam thing you sit on that measures your "sit bones" to figure out how wide of a seat you need (some seats come in multiple widths)

LOL at assometer. The shop is willing to exchange my seat but doesn't have much of a selection.

Mine was like $69... If I remember correctly. And trust me, that is small potatoes for the gaurantee of a happy butt.

I went through 4-5 other saddles before I got my Koobi... I will never sit another saddle.

Mine was like $69... If I remember correctly. And trust me, that is small potatoes for the gaurantee of a happy butt.

I went through 4-5 other saddles before I got my Koobi... I will never sit another saddle.

I will take another look. Most of the ones on their site run $200.

I will take another look. Most of the ones on their site run $200.
Get some cycling shorts w/ padding in them. Mine isnt comfortable really, but it's all about how it fits you.

Get some cycling shorts w/ padding in them. Mine isnt comfortable really, but it's all about how it fits you.

FrankA gave the same advice. I will check them out. Thanks guys.

FrankA gave the same advice. I will check them out. Thanks guys.
Even if you arent going long distances, you need something that offers a bit of padding. My guess is that if you werent liking it and you werent on it that long, then you need to get fit to one. It's basically a padded seat you sit on and it tells you where your sit bones are and how wide the seat needs to be. If it's too wide or too narrow, your ischial tuberosities (sit bones, the two pressure points you feel when you sit) arent in the right position and it can cause back pain and some serious discomfort.

Even if you arent going long distances, you need something that offers a bit of padding. My guess is that if you werent liking it and you werent on it that long, then you need to get fit to one. It's basically a padded seat you sit on and it tells you where your sit bones are and how wide the seat needs to be. If it's too wide or too narrow, your ischial tuberosities (sit bones, the two pressure points you feel when you sit) arent in the right position and it can cause back pain and some serious discomfort.

Yeah, it was just a quick ride with the family and while it was ok I could tell it would not be fun on a longer trip. I will find a shop that offers this service and have it done when I get a chance. It was a lot of fun today. I likely haven't taken a bike ride in 17 years, I felt like I was 10 again and it was great.

Yeah, it was just a quick ride with the family and while it was ok I could tell it would not be fun on a longer trip. I will find a shop that offers this service and have it done when I get a chance. It was a lot of fun today. I likely haven't taken a bike ride in 17 years, I felt like I was 10 again and it was great.
Do you feel the saddle is too narrow or too wide?

To narrow. Like you I do not fit the mold of a typical cyclist.
You probably just need one that is a bit wider to accomodate the sit bones rather than having them in the wrong position. Having a seat that's too small can...well, lead to other problems as well.

Oh Howzat... I didn't realize you were riding without chamois shorts! Ouch!

I just checked the Koobi site and their prices have gone up over the years, however I can recommend the SI Classic gel @ $89 (my first Koobi, but no gel). My current is the Au enduro which is a little pricier, but it is as comfy as my classic was.

They have a slight depression, then split at the nose so your boy bits (or my girlie parts) don't get squished or friction burns... Very nice!

Anyway... Helmets & seats - worth every penny!

And definitely get some padded shorts - your butt will love you :)

You probably just need one that is a bit wider to accomodate the sit bones rather than having them in the wrong position. Having a seat that's too small can...well, lead to other problems as well.

We don't want that now do we. Appreciate the help WE, looking forward to meeting you in a few days.

Back