Open Championship Contest & Official Thread [Spoilers]

I hope the R&A decide to ban the anchoring. That's what I have a problem with. The long putters can still be affected by the yips, but the belly putters need to go. Which is a shame, because Webb Simpson is one of my favorites, and I'm not sure how he'll do otherwise. You can probably expect some sort of grandfathering clause in there as well, so that players that have been using them for 5+ years get a bit of a break.

I hope the R&A decide to ban the anchoring. That's what I have a problem with. The long putters can still be affected by the yips, but the belly putters need to go. Which is a shame, because Webb Simpson is one of my favorites, and I'm not sure how he'll do otherwise. You can probably expect some sort of grandfathering clause in there as well, so that players that have been using them for 5+ years get a bit of a break.

There's no grandfathering rule in there for those who used U grooves for X years, why would there be any type of exemption for a longer putter? Time to relearn how to putt without anchoring.

There's no grandfathering rule in there for those who used U grooves for X years, why would there be any type of exemption for a longer putter? Time to relearn how to putt without anchoring.
Agreed. Life's tough - these guys are pros. Adapt.

How do you use one of these long putters without anchoring? Isn't that the point of them? Or is there a difference? (Honest question here, please educate me)

If they ban "anchoring", does that make the way Ernie Els putt illegal, but the way Adam Scott does it acceptable?

I'd prefer a limit on putter length (in addition). Because when you're picking your putter over the driver to mark 2 club lengths for a drop, seems to me something's off

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

How do you use one of these long putters without anchoring? Isn't that the point of them? Or is there a difference? (Honest question here, please educate me)

If they ban "anchoring", does that make the way Ernie Els putt illegal, but the way Adam Scott does it acceptable?

I'd prefer a limit on putter length (in addition). Because when you're picking your putter over the driver to mark 2 club lengths for a drop, seems to me something's off

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk
I was wondering that but didn't care enough to ask or look it up. I remember Feherty talking at last year's Masters about how Adam Scott puts his fist into his chest and just rocks his upper body - seems like that would be anchoring (whether his thumb was on top of the club or not).

Thain said this before but you can use a long putter the same way without anchoring. I believe Scott does it. Just put a finger over the end then press your finger into your chest.

Is what Kuchar does considered anchoring? Looks to me like he just lets it ride up his forearm. Wouldn't exactly call that anchoring.

I was wondering that but didn't care enough to ask or look it up. I remember Feherty talking at last year's Masters about how Adam Scott puts his fist into his chest and just rocks his upper body - seems like that would be anchoring (whether his thumb was on top of the club or not).

And that raises another question... how do you draw the line on "anchoring". Did you see how Kuchar was putting at the Open (his method for a while now)? He essentially anchors/attaches the club to his left forearm. Would that be considered illegal anchoring?

Anchoring = any part of the putter touching any part of the body that is not the hand. Hand cannot then be anchored to the body in anyway that is not human ie: hands connected to arms

Done!

Sent from my HTC One X

Anchoring = any part of the putter touching any part of the body that is not the hand. Hand cannot then be anchored to the body in anyway that is not human ie: hands connected to arms

Done!

Sent from my HTC One X

So, with that definition do you think that Kuchar anchors his putter?

I would think so, yes. And what Scott does is anchoring too.

Yes. I'm not saying I agree with my statement. Just that it's a statement that leaves very few loopholes. Personally I have no problem with belly putters to begin with.

Sent from my HTC One X

I would think so, yes. And what Scott does is anchoring too.

See, I don't think what Kuchar does is anchoring. The end of the putter is not in a single spot and being used as a point of anchorage and using in a pendulum like effect. It is running parallel to his arm as I understand it, and that is the reason for my thoughts.

Will definitely be interesting to see what is announced, it will have a big impact.

See, I don't think what Kuchar does is anchoring. The end of the putter is not in a single spot and being used as a point of anchorage and using in a pendulum like effect. It is running parallel to his arm as I understand it, and that is the reason for my thoughts.

Will definitely be interesting to see what is announced, it will have a big impact.

Though it does lean against his arm, correct?

Sent from my HTC One X

Though it does lean against his arm, correct?

Sent from my HTC One X

Lean against or run parallel to? I think those are different things.

I need to see if I can find something showing it just to make sure I am understanding what he is doing correctly.

Lean against or run parallel to? I think those are different things.

I need to see if I can find something showing it just to make sure I am understanding what he is doing correctly.

Parallel would be fine by me. I just assumed it was touching his arm.

Basically my thoughts are if they implement a rule, it needs to take out any way of using the putter that is not only in contact with the hands. Scott would fall under this rule as well because the point of contact is still the chest.

People will argue that, but if you look at physics to begin with, technically you never actually touch anything.

Sent from my HTC One X

Parallel would be fine by me. I just assumed it was touching his arm.

Basically my thoughts are if they implement a rule, it needs to take out any way of using the putter that is not only in contact with the hands. Scott would fall under this rule as well because the point of contact is still the chest.

People will argue that, but if you look at physics to begin with, technically you never actually touch anything.

Sent from my HTC One X

It is touching his left arm parallel. It is not anchored in at the butt end. Just bumped this thread so as to not detract from this one further: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?24060-Long-Putters-good-or-bad-for-the-game

There's a thread for anchoring and stuff I'm sure...no point in filling up this thread with it imo.

Jk...please, carry on.

Last edited:
There's a thread for anchoring and stuff I'm sure...no point in filling up this thread with it imo.

whoa whoa whoa, just cause you may have won the competition doesnt mean it makes you a mod ;) i kid of course :)

whoa whoa whoa, just cause you may have won the competition doesnt mean it makes you a mod ;) i kid of course :)

LOL just saying, I was expecting to see 3 pages of actual Open talk and was kind of sad to see it was all belly putter debates :bulgy-eyes:

Also, we don't know if I won or not!

I know, he thinks the winner just gets to control the thread or something.

I hate you all, going to delete my comment!

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

It's been quoted. It shall live on in infamy.

--
Tapatalk2

It's been quoted. It shall live on in infamy.

--
Tapatalk2

Haters gonna hate SW, haters gonna hate. If you want some of my unofficial Nike gear, just ask buddy.

Lol!

--
Tapatalk2

Back