2012 Cleveland Mashie Hybrids & Irons

I hit some really unlikely GIR's with these hybrids over the weekend. Not necessarily hero shots, but shots from a distance and lie that I normally wouldn't expect a lot out of. It's really hard to beat their performance out of the rough and I'm feeling like I'm not out of a hole if I'm in that 180-190 range right now, which is always a good thing for me.

I had a pretty good day with the Mashie5 yesterday, didn't use it a lot but each time resulted in a good outcome. Unfortunately my driving was pretty good yesterday so I wasn't able to hit hybrid from the rough :act-up: This club has become my 180 club, I can take a little off it or step on it a little more and go about 10 yards either way but I'm most comfortable in the 180 range. I already know how well the sole and rails perform out of the rough so yesterday was a good chance to see how it performs from a fairway lie. As we all know sometimes a spot at the range isn't always the same as the fairway out on the course, grass is a little better or more even than it is on a range after everyone has been out there hacking and whacking away. The rails do a perfect job of getting just enough resistance from the ground without digging in and resulting in heavy contact the opposite; skipping across the surface and catching the ball thin. The result yields a medium high ball with great ability to hold greens, something I've missed from a hybrid recently.

I'm happy with what I see out of the Mashie, I can count on a stock fade or I can easily turn it right to left if I need to but I'm not the guy who tries to move the ball around all that often. I just want the ball to go a certain distance and stay on my target. A little left or right of that isn't a concern for me at this point in time, what I'm seeing with the Mashie is it always right around my target provided I do my part. As you will see in the video below a tiny bit of my old swing crept back in and I didn't get all the way through before contact. That led to the ball being about 3-5 yards short of my target and left a tricky putt awaiting me.

In the video below I have 185 in after I hit the exact drive I wanted but a little shorter than I had hoped. You'll notice how clean the sole is after the shot, considering the rainfall we've had down here it is impressive. Any other hybrid I've played would have been rather muddy after a shot, which illustrates the point I was making above about the sole and rails refusing the turf just enough.

SW, the way these clubs minimize misses is pretty impressive, don't you think?

The keel is genius in my opinion. Cuts through the turf to save a thick shot, yet gives you more surface area on a thin shot.

Absolutely, I missed the crap out of one earlier in the round but was still in a great spot. Awkward uphill/sidehill lie and made contact a little to close to the hosel, a little shorter than I was expecting obviously but still on the intended line just 10 yards short of the green, chip, putt, par.

Yep. I'd be stupid to do anything other than keep these in my bag for a long while. Hit one yesterday from 182 that I instantly knew was thin and I said something to the effect of, "Dang. Hit that thin". At the same time, Seth was saying, "Nice shot" and we watched it settle on the green.

I think the one regret I'll have regarding equipment choices when this is all done is that I didn't opt for the M2 or M3 rather than the 7 wood. That's not really a knock on the 7 wood as much as it is an endorsement of the hybrids. They are just working really well for me right now. I hit two par 3 GIR and two FIR with them today. They are proving to be pretty invaluable in terms of accuracy and consistency and I wish I had one for that 200 yard range.

Interesting Hawk. We have a similar hybrid to fairway setup so obviously that makes me curious as well.

What makes one more appealing than the other to you?

--
Tapatalk2

I've just been a hybrid guy from day one, SW. They just seem to jive with my swing better for whatever reason. Like I said, it's not a knock on the F7, because I use it successfully as well, but I feel like I have a little more precision with the hybrids. I think I want to buy one post MC to fill out the set. I just can't argue with the results I'm seeing out of them.

That makes sense. My struggles with the hybrid were documented earlier but like I told biggsy, I feel like a badass with the mashie in my hands now. Can't say I'm more precise with one or the other but then again there is 6* difference.

--
Tapatalk2

This may have been discussed in this thread already, or it may have been in the Mashie fairway wood thread, but what is the ball position that everyone is using for these hybrids? I hit some horrendous hooks with the 2 hybrid today, and I'm wondering if trying to play it like an iron is making me get the ball position too far back in my stance. Even on the range after the round, I could only hit a draw or hook with the 2 hybrid, anytime I tried to hit a fade I got a push instead. What's weird is that I don't have that problem with the 4 hybrid, the ballflight that I get is straighter with that club.

I play them like I would a long iron. A couple balls behind my left heel. I play the ball pretty forward in general though.

I play it about where I play my 6 iron. Slightly ahead of center.

--
Tapatalk2

SW, we lost a some good Mashie talk over the weekend. I had told Freddy that my 4 hybrid would be described in one word as Greenfinder and that still holds true. Something very bad happened off the tee on our 4th hole yesterday, but sticking one from 175 yards to an uphill green left me feeling like I had a chance to salvage a potential mess.

I have finally learned how to hit a hybrid!!! :banana: I bought a M3 from leiruagetro and it has found a home in my bag (which I will update tonight, I promise!!). Everybody was telling me that the hybrids were so easy to hit, but I keep hitting them like my 3 and 4 irons. I was SO frustrated!

But, after less than 10-15 balls at the range. I started to slow my swing down and swing smoothly. And, Viola!! There it was. The answer to my 190-200 yd. club!! I'm now looking for a M1, and maybe a M5.

I love the M5, Canio. I wish I'd had it earlier this year. How you liking the height of your shot with the M3?

I like that I can hit it high or lower depending upon what I want. I'm still experimenting with it. I would love to check out the M1 as my course is very tight. My course has 9 par 3s that average out to 204 yds!! The longest is 235. I don't have a 3W that I trust to reach it. I would hope the M1 would be the ticket for the tight fairways and that long par 3.

And, I'm definately interested in the M5, also, for some of the shorter par 3s (165-185). I am an official Mashie convert!!

Awesome. I'm really glad to hear you found a hybid that you can do well with. I'm a big hybrid guy and these really are hard to beat for my needs. They are exceptional from trouble, but still offer me the ability to hit greens if I am lucky enough to be in that situation.

I've noticed that with both the FW and the Hybrid i will get a nice hook/draw if you get a to sweeping swing. I really need to get down behind the ball from above to get it straight. So if you are having troubles with hooks/draws, try to get a "attack" angle more from above on the ball. But be careful, if you get your backswing to high up you might end with an OTT downswing and slice it instead.

Hawk, I see that you have both the F3+ and F7. How did you decide on those instead of the M1 or M2? How IS the F3 and how is it off the deck?

For a 3W, the F3 is by far the easiest I've ever had for use other than off a tee. It's got a little shorter shaft than you see in most 3 woods these days and the rails/center keel help with the variety of mis-hits I see. Still, you have to put a decent swing on it like any three wood to prevent sidespin.

I went with the F7 based off of how well the F3 treated me. It's been a very good club as well, especially for getting myself out of trouble when I'm a ways out. Looking back, for the spots I tend to use the club, I'd probably be better off with the M2 or M3, but much of that is just that I've always been more comfortable with a hybrid in hand compared to a fairway wood.

My goal for next year is to get a 3 and 4 mashie hybrids into my bag!! Ive spent way to much
Money this year!

I am loving the heck out of my Mashie M2 18 degree! It's a fun club to have in the bag and delivers on the tee or off the deck.

I put the 2012 M3 and M4 hybrids in the bag a few rounds ago, and they have been incredible. Outstanding off the tee and the deck, as well as out of the rough. My course has a couple of long par 3's, in the 180-200 yard range, and these have put me on the green off the tee regularly, where it used to be a struggle. These replaced G15 hybrids for me most recently. The stock Miyazaki shaft is pretty crazy how smooth it feels, while not feeling particularly lightweight. I never played the original Mashies, but the 2012 version definitely brings it.

Cleveland just dropped the prices on the 2012 Mashie, now they are $99! That's a great deal on a wonderful hybrid, and pretty much the lowest price that you'll find out there for the current version of a major OEM's hybrid.

Cleveland just dropped the prices on the 2012 Mashie, now they are $99! That's a great deal on a wonderful hybrid, and pretty much the lowest price that you'll find out there for the current version of a major OEM's hybrid.

Dayum!!! I may just have to go buy an M3 and an M5 because the M4 is awesome.

Back