Augusta National admits first female members

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Tweets flying about this news:
RT @cbrennansports: Breaking News: #Augusta National accepts 2 women members: Condi Rice and S.C. businesswoman Darla Moore. #golf

Pretty much everyone knows who Condoleezza Rice is, but Darla Moore is a very well known businesswoman from South Carolina. Her name is on the University of South Carolina School of Business: http://mooreschool.sc.edu/about/leadership/darlamoore.aspx

I Heart Condi Rice!!!!

Good on them. I bet they would have brought the lady from IBM on if their wasn't some media scrutiny over Masters week.

Cool. So there's that. Which is nice.

I suppose it's news but it doesn't change much in terms of how I view Augusta National and more specifically The Masters.

Full press release from Augusta National: http://www.masters.com/en_US/news/articles/2012-08-20/201208201345465277666.html

Billy Payne, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club and the Masters Tournament, confirmed today that Secretary Condoleezza Rice, of Stanford, Calif., and Darla Moore, of Lake City, S.C., are new members of Augusta National Golf Club.

Payne offered the following statement on behalf of the Club:

“This is a joyous occasion as we enthusiastically welcome Secretary Condoleezza Rice and Darla Moore as members of Augusta National Golf Club.

“We are fortunate to consider many qualified candidates for membership at Augusta National. Consideration with regard to any candidate is deliberate, held in strict confidence and always takes place over an extended period of time. The process for Condoleezza and Darla was no different.

“These accomplished women share our passion for the game of golf and both are well known and respected by our membership. It will be a proud moment when we present Condoleezza and Darla their Green Jackets when the Club opens this fall.

“This is a significant and positive time in our Club’s history and, on behalf of our membership, I wanted to take this opportunity to welcome them and all of our new members into the Augusta National family.”

Very interesting, I didnt think we were far away from this happening.

Is there lady teeboxes or will there be?

I have pretty mixed emotions, but if they really did this as a business move rather than folding under the pressure then I'm all for it.

yup me too. She wants to be the commissioner of the NFL

She can be anything in my opinion. Incredibly bright and one of the most driven people I have ever met.

Is there lady teeboxes or will there be?

No such thing as ladies tee boxes dude. Only forward tee boxes.

She can be anything in my opinion. Incredibly bright and one of the most driven people I have ever met.

I agree with this. Though I have never met her, I think she is very bright and has obviously been very successful in just about everything she has done.

Good article and deserving members. I always appreciated that they made the decisions for themselves and that they didn't let scrutiny force their hand when this has come up in decades/years past. This seems more genuine then just folding when first questioned about it.

I wonder what kind of handicaps they have?

I think that Augusta National has picked 2 very deserving women to be their first female members. I am very pleased that they have done this and done it on their time frame.

I don't have feelings one way or the other on this. There are plenty of exclusive clubs in the country. Probably one for every race, creed, religion, sex, belief system, etc, so it never bothered me that Augusta was an all male club, and it doesn't bother me that they have decided to admit 2 women.

So now Condi is a member of the two most exclusive courses in America (if not the entire world). Cypress Point and Augusta. I wonder what her game is like?

I thought Augusta National had a policy against discussing its members?

Anyway, our long national nightmare is now over. Our lives have been improved immeasurably now that two exceedingly wealthy women have joined an exclusive club previously reserved for exceedingly wealthy men. My wife is absolutely on Cloud 9 over this news.

I am not too familiar with this Moore lady, but I have always liked Condi Rice as a person, though I was usually cursing her name. She is a die hard sports fan, golf fan and I think she will be terrific ambassador for the game of golf moving forward, being the first female admitted to Augusta National.

I don't think this move has much to do with the pressure applied by martha burke. I'm sure it has some to do with it because had she not made it an issue then maybe the members don't consider this move but I don't believe public pressure is the reason this happened. I say that because since billy payne became chairman it seems like augusta national has taken progessive steps in realizing their place and importance in the golf world. Expanding masters coverage to espn and extensive free online coverage. Including augusta national and masters integration in the tiger woods video game (which was a dieing franchise that augusta really saved and to my knowledge is the only professional golf video game being produced at the moment).

I think augusta has realized the meaningful position they have in golf and this step was just another in many steps they've taken in an effort to grow the game as part of that realization.

Back