Augusta National admits first female members

Great move. Put me on the Condi Rice fan list.

I thought Augusta National had a policy against discussing its members?

Anyway, our long national nightmare is now over. Our lives have been improved immeasurably now that two exceedingly wealthy women have joined an exclusive club previously reserved for exceedingly wealthy men. My wife is absolutely on Cloud 9 over this news.

Lulz. I could tell my wife this news right now, and her response would be a resounding "Meh."

Throw me into the "indifferent" lot. While I may not agree with a private club's decision to exclude female membership, I absolutely agree with its right to do it.

I'll also leave my comments of Ms. Rice off the board.

That is really interesting. I wonder if their motivation was to look more forward thinking or they just thought it was good press.

I'm curious, I read somewhere that because of Augusta's policy of not discussing membership, it was very possible that there were already female members. In the press release, they do not mention that these two are the first female members. Is it then really possible there are others that have just not gone public?

Interesting. Cool, though.

the real question is, does augusta's membership ceremony include an oath, blood and burning a saints card?

Augusta National Admits it's First Women Members...

Augusta National Admits it's First Women Members...

Sorry for the duplicate thread.

Multiple Threads merged. Lets make sure we take a look to see if its already been posted guys. Thanks.

I thought they would eventually get around to admitting women members. So, I can't say I'm surprised. I thought that the At&T woman would be admitted. Maybe at a later time.

I thought Augusta National had a policy against discussing its members?

Anyway, our long national nightmare is now over. Our lives have been improved immeasurably now that two exceedingly wealthy women have joined an exclusive club previously reserved for exceedingly wealthy men. My wife is absolutely on Cloud 9 over this news.

Great post.

Condi is awesome. Very good news that Augusta has joined the 20th century.

I'm glad that they did this so that the story of when they would no longer comes up every year during the Masters. I do find it interesting that they announced new members via press release when (as several of you have already said) they have always stated that they don't discuss membership publically.

Since they are a private entity with a very public event, I'm glad they finally did what was right to do here. If it wasn't for the Masters, they could do whatever they wanted, and I wouldn't care.

Glad hear this. I think Condi is great. Long time coming but traditions do die hard.

I think it is about time. Listening to Colin Cowherd and he is making some good points. Lots of pressure from corporate America as more women are moving up the ladder AT&T IBM etc.

I think OG and I will go out and celebrate this tonight! Sounds like a good excuse to get him to take me out to dinner. Seriously, I'm glad they now have female members but I have always respected rights of private clubs to do what they want. I was hoping they eventually wanted to invite women though.

Getting on a plane now and can't wait to read article.

TapAhoy!

This is good news, don't see how anyone could be against it. I like that they seemingly did it on their own instead of due to public pressure, etc.

Private club, their choice. I'm almost disappointed, since one of the things I like about Augusta is that they will do as they see fit, ignoring money, publicity (bad or good), and popular opinion. I haven't seen anything in the news about them lately, so maybe they did just decide it was time...if so, good on them.

If they want to REALLY be inclusive, I know a short balding broke undistinguished Canadian who'd be glad to flesh out the membership. I bet I'd fill out the demographics nicely for them.

About time really. Not everyone may agree, but traditions change, this one for the better.

Sent from my HTC One X

The members of AGN always do things on their own terms, I knew this would happen but I had no idea when. I am happy I don't have to hear about there not being women member's any more.

Put me in the "meh" category. I always admired them for sticking to their guns and doing whatever they wanted. It's fine if they do or don't want female members. If they wanted humans with only 3 limbs that would be fine. Like others have stated, I hope they didn't do this out of some sort of veiled threat or pressure from somewhere.

Indeed... what will "they" protest now about Augusta? :)

Crap. I just realized it's like 8 months until The Masters. Ugh.

Only a couple private all male clubs left, too bad.

Wait!?!? So you are telling me that Condi didn't have to arm-wrestle any of the current members to gain a spot? That's crap!

Back